Goucher aims to thin deer with bowmen

Goucher aims to thin deer with bowmen

There are 76 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Goucher aims to thin deer with bowmen. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Goucher College plans to hire professional bowmen over the holidays to thin the population of white-tailed deer that roam the leafy 287-acre campus - a move that has provoked an outcry from surprised students.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Wolverine

Cumberland, MD

#62 Dec 28, 2007
JayPhD wrote:
<quoted text>
If you paid attention to the majority of posts it becomes clear the focus is on hunting. Thanks for the insight Fudd, but these deer will be hunted.
Hired contractor with sharpshooters = hunting? Not. Your reading & comprehension skills are lacking. There is no hunting involved in using sharpshooters on deer in an small enclosed area.
JayPhD

Hyattsville, MD

#63 Dec 28, 2007
Wolverine wrote:
<quoted text>Hired contractor with sharpshooters = hunting? Not. Your reading & comprehension skills are lacking. There is no hunting involved in using sharpshooters on deer in an small enclosed area.
Well wolverine perhaps you were not able to infer the issue at hand amongst those who have posted to this thread. The topic has most assuredly revolved around hunting. Bowmen by definition are not referred to as "Sharpshooters". Certain companies use "Sharpshooters", or "Snipers" to "Cull" deer where human population density is significantly less (This method involves the use of high-powered precision rifles and little or no woodsmanship). In this instance they have decided (wisely) to employ archers. The effective range is significantly reduced thus necessitating a modicum of woodsmanship, stand placement, and sound hunting practices. I am also not aware of a fence that "encloses" the campus as you suggest, nor would I consider a parcel in excess of one-hundred acres small.
Lorax

Westminster, MD

#64 Dec 28, 2007
If people drove their cars under control (ever hear of speed limits or driving while NOT talking on a cell phone?), half of the alleged deer-auto accidents would probably go away. Now that's the most cost-effective plan there is.
Wolverine

Cumberland, MD

#65 Dec 29, 2007
JayPhD wrote:
<quoted text>Well wolverine perhaps you were not able to infer the issue at hand amongst those who have posted to this thread. The topic has most assuredly revolved around hunting. Bowmen by definition are not referred to as "Sharpshooters". Certain companies use "Sharpshooters", or "Snipers" to "Cull" deer where human population density is significantly less (This method involves the use of high-powered precision rifles and little or no woodsmanship). In this instance they have decided (wisely) to employ archers. The effective range is significantly reduced thus necessitating a modicum of woodsmanship, stand placement, and sound hunting practices. I am also not aware of a fence that "encloses" the campus as you suggest, nor would I consider a parcel in excess of one-hundred acres small.
Professional bowmen does not equal hunters. Only in your book. I personally know no "professional bowmen" and I know a couple hundred hunters. The only reason the conversation is revolving around hunting is that the majority of those conversing here have no idea of the difference because they are city dwellers. Using hired "professional bowmenor sharpshooters" is not hunting. And only in the city or suburban areas is a 100 acres large. Out here it is tiny. My mistake on the fence, I thought that the campus was enclosed.
Bubba

Harleysville, PA

#66 Dec 29, 2007
JayPhD wrote:
<quoted text>
<snip>
The topic has most assuredly revolved around hunting. Bowmen by definition are not referred to as "Sharpshooters". Certain companies use "Sharpshooters", or "Snipers" to "Cull" deer where human population density is significantly less (This method involves the use of high-powered precision rifles and little or no woodsmanship). In this instance they have decided (wisely) to employ archers. The effective range is significantly reduced thus necessitating a modicum of woodsmanship, stand placement, and sound hunting practices. I am also not aware of a fence that "encloses" the campus as you suggest, nor would I consider a parcel in excess of one-hundred acres small.
DR Jay - I infer that you use PhD in your handle to indicate a higher level of education than most on the forum. It seems that you also suggest that this higher level of education enables you to redefine certain words such as “sharpshooter” to limit that usage to “high-powered precision rifles and little or no woodsmanship”. It seems that you and Mr. Webster do not agree! If you would simply refer to your “New Collegiate Dictionary” you will note that he defines the term “sharpshooter” as “one skilled in shooting” or “a good marksman”. Are you suggesting that archers are not sufficiently proficient with the bow as to be “skilled” or “good marksmen” within the effective range of their weapon? If so, I would suggest that you actually become familiar with the capabilities of even average archers.

Further, it seems that you weigh in on this topic without the benefit of actually reading the article. To assist you with an understanding of the situation, let me post a few lines from the president’s press release:

“After consultation with DNR officials and close consideration of options for managing our deer population, we have decided to work with a local wildlife control firm that will conduct a managed bow hunt, hoping to decrease the herd by about 50 deer. The firm is familiar with Goucher’s grounds and is licensed and experienced in wildlife control.”

“The herd will be culled later this month while the campus is closed for winter break, in order to prevent community members and visitors from suffering harm of any kind. We will also implement safety measures to make sure anyone who might be on campus is not at risk.”

I find it interesting that you would suggest that it takes special skills to find deer at a population density of approximately 1 deer for every 200 foot square grid on a college campus! What “woodsmanship skills” are required to arrow a deer off the steps of the library? What is suggested here, sir, is most assuredly a “cull” as stated by the college president. As stated, it will use a “local wildlife control firm” who will “conduct a managed bow hunt”. I am sure you will agree that this is not a “hunt” in the common usage and understanding of that term! I do concur with you that the selected method for this cull is a wise choice.
tim

Huntsville, AL

#67 Jan 3, 2008
E Fudd wrote:
<quoted text>
Any one have an answer?
I stopped by Sat Dec 29 to ask about how the deer cull was going and was told by a security guard that the quota of 50 was almost reached. I was told that the DNR was in charge of this much needed event.
I'm sure that the homeless will enjoy the nutriciuos venison provided.
Reader

Rosedale, MD

#68 Jan 4, 2008
Poor deer
tim

Munford, AL

#69 Jan 7, 2008
Reader wrote:
Poor deer
Poor deer? I'd only say that when I see a herd of scrawny deer with their ribs showing because they reproduced and we allowed their numbers to get out of control.
They should have taken 100 of this herd to the homeless shelter
JayPhD

Walled Lake, MI

#70 Jan 10, 2008
Sir, your single minded indignation has blinded you to my original message. Certainly your inclusion of reference texts did not allay your own manipulation of quoted dialogue. I will break this tangent into ever smaller pieces to aid your mental digestion. Deer are wary creatures, even when familiar with humans they are adept at discerning changes in habitat to include the presence of predators (this includes hunters, professional bowmen, whatever the label "du jour" may be). Perhaps your grasp of context is limited, "sharpshooter" is a term that can be applied to many activities, some more than others. An example would be paintball, perhaps lazer tag, even basketball. In the context of wildlife management "sharpshooter" most often refers to trained military or para-military men/women using a high powered rifle at long distances. To be honest, I've never heard of a hired archer/bowhunter referred to as a "sharpshooter" by anyone other than the misinformed. While archers may be proficient with their skills in archery, attaining astonishing levels of accuracy, they are bound to the laws of physics. An arrow traveling between 200-300 feet per second has a much shorter effective range than a high powered rifle traveling in excess of 2000 feet per second. Hence the advantage of a bow in a densely populated area where you don't have the luxury of excessive distance/safety zones. What this translates to mean is an archer must get far closer to a wary animal than someone with a high powered rifle. This is where woodsmansip and understanding animal behavior become pertinent. Deer develope an understanding of their surroundings much like you understand your home. If you are reasonably observant, you would notice changes in furniture placement, missing photo's, etc. The same goes for deer, they sense changes in their environment and alter their behavior to avoid that which is unfamiliar. This is where a hunter's knowledge and implementation of technique is needed. It is much more difficult to remain unnoticed at 40 yards or less (the reasonable effective range of a bowhunter as it relates to whitetailed deer)than the hundreds of yards a scoped rifle in the hands of a "sharpshooter". Simply stating that there is a deer for every 200 square feet of land is an impish argument at best and certainly doesn't account for deer patterning and movement within the habitat.
Jennifers little secret

Washington, DC

#71 Jan 11, 2008
real close to finding out Jennifers little secret.
hunting deer

Towson, MD

#72 Jan 15, 2008
for the animals wrote:
Luckily, the numbers of cowardly, sissy scum hunters is constantly decreasing. The only public service these Fudd outtakes from “Deliverance” provide is to kill each other and themselves in hunting accidents. Unfortunately, they take innocent animals and innocent members of the public with them. They are a menace, who intentionally create or increase EVERY problem that they blame on deer (or they simply make up non-existent problems). Hunting increases deer-car collisions (as per stats from highway studies and reports from insurance companies and body-shops/tow companies). They intentionally increase the population of animals they want to recreationally kill, through habitat manipulation (to the detriment of non-game animals and native plants) and through hunting (deer numbers rebound after a hunt, as is known to EVERY wildlife biologist). Public health studies demonstrate that hunting does NOT decrease the incidence of Lyme, and might actually increase it. All of this carnage is supported by state game agencies, which make their salaries from the sale of hunting licenses. If you want to fight these scum, don’t just grumble. Call your local animal rights groups and ask to get involved. Only 5% of Americans hunt, yet they control all decisions affecting wildlife. And take it a step further—become vegan. Aside from the over 10 billion animals tortured and killed in this country, every year, for environment-destroying, unhealthy “food,” the federal government tortures and kills wildlife to protect the financial interests of ranchers. Get involved. These scum have nothing on their side-not science, not ethics. But they have high-powered lobbyists. We, however, outnumber them and will defeat them.
Well you make it sound good but your facts are worng hunting deer does not cause the accidents to go up if the insurance company would have done there job right they would know that the deer are in rut during hunting season and the deer are running all over the place either to get a little action or get away from the action so its not the hunter
tim

Chatsworth, GA

#73 Jan 16, 2008
Jennifers little secret wrote:
real close to finding out Jennifers little secret.
I gotta know now !!! please !!
hello

Jeannette, PA

#74 Jan 22, 2008
i am against hunting it is cruel and mean

“Hey”

Since: Nov 07

laurel md

#75 Jan 22, 2008
I am against doing nothing because the starvation associated with doing nothing is a lot more cruel and mean than hunting.

Goucher is wide open to suggestions of what they should do next year.

What would your proposal be?
Mike

Hunt Valley, MD

#76 Jan 23, 2008
Yes. Hitting a starving deer on Dulaney Valley Rd. with my car is much more humane. Especially when it's not quite dead and lays there for a few hours with a broken backbone. Not to mention the $1000 or so worth of damage to my car. Oh, maybe I should swerve to miss it and go head-on into a telephone pole. Serves me right for causing global warming with all that driving to work I do. How about we all as a human race stay in our houses for good and slowly but surely wipe ourselves out of existance? The earth and the animals will all be better off.
Jennifers little secret

Washington, DC

#77 Jan 25, 2008
I am friends with someone who knows Jennifers husband. Well- Jennifer (who comes across as a real nice - goody 2 shoes- don't kill the deer - straight-laced girl) apparently asked a contractor who is doing some work at their house if they could INSTALL A STRIPPER POLE in her bedroom.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fallston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
do not buy from jones junction used cars (Jul '12) May '16 Charlie H 91
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) May '16 PFC Jones 19
News U.S. lending helping hand on student loans (Feb '08) May '16 May772 4
News Reputed 'Bloods' Gang Member Charged In Shooting (Mar '06) May '16 Zeke the Pinhead 453
Suicide of danyelle filiaggi (May '15) Mar '16 Danyelles friend 9
News Is Bel Air Still Safe? (Aug '11) Feb '16 Theo 16
News Games to Watch (Oct '15) Jan '16 jeeper 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fallston Mortgages