Goucher aims to thin deer with bowmen

Goucher aims to thin deer with bowmen

There are 76 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Goucher aims to thin deer with bowmen. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Goucher College plans to hire professional bowmen over the holidays to thin the population of white-tailed deer that roam the leafy 287-acre campus - a move that has provoked an outcry from surprised students.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
jimmy swift

Belcamp, MD

#1 Dec 7, 2007
Its not just Goucher . If you drive anywhere south from Jacksonville to Towson regularly , you're going to hit a deer . The property damage and medical bills runs in the Millions of dollars . The State should do something .Just because Maryland hates guns and hunters should not stop them from thinning the Deer population for public saftey .
patrick green

AOL

#2 Dec 7, 2007
Lies, lies and more lies about the deer.In your own paper on July 26th DNR was quoted as saying "Douglas Hotton, leader of DNR's deer management program, said deer numbers may have little to do with the spread of Lyme disease. In fact, he suggested that the very name "deer tick" is misleading. "It ought to really be called the 'mouse tick,'" he said, since the white-footed mouse is the main host for the Lyme-causing bacteria. They just installed Streiter deer reflectors on Dulaney Valley Road from the bridge to Peerces and my friends who live out there said the reduction in deer car collisions has been amazing. Instead of using bowhunting, which has a 50% wounding rate and is recognized in multiple studies as the cruelest form of hunting possible. Why didn't the president get off his lazy butt and look for non-lethal humane solutions for the deer, instead of being advised by DNR that gets 97% of their funding from hunting. GOUCHER SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF EMBRACING SUCH CRUEL AND INHUMANE KILLING. Maybe they should look for a new president that reflects the caring and compassion of his students.
Ellen Gominder

AOL

#3 Dec 7, 2007
For an Institution of Higher Education you certainly are not educated about the deer. Even the Department of Natural Resources admitted that deer do not cause Lyme Disease. Studies actually prove that the less deer there are the more humans become hosts for the disease. You could get rid of all the deer and we would still have the disease. Call DNR! Also with a little education about driving and the use of Reflectors on roads we could really decrease car accidents. Insurance Companies have actually done studies and car accidents increase when hunters are in the woods scaring the deer onto road ways. Plus-bow hunting is not only the cruelest form of hunting it is very ineffective in long term deer population control!!!
Reader

Rosedale, MD

#4 Dec 7, 2007
Bows?? Why is our only solution to any wildlife problem killing? And, they want to use bows.

Ellen, they won't want to hear, believe or investigate those stats or studies.
Deer Hunter

Baltimore, MD

#6 Dec 7, 2007
Realize that deer have aprox 2 - 3 in off spring each year.
If 2/3 the deer population are female say about 120 of the 200. Your hunt is successful in retiring 50 of the 120. The 70 females left will to bear 2 successful offspring. 140+70+80=
290 roaming the campus next year.

It might seem wrong to hunt the deer. But proper management is required to keep what you enjoy (the deer)
around. I'd rather feed a shelter with deer meat than watch a herd of deer starve to death.
JAS

Reston, VA

#7 Dec 7, 2007
Yum!
Bambi is SO tasty!
Val

Westminster, MD

#8 Dec 7, 2007
Deer ticks, the primary vector for Lyme disease, are dependent on white-tailed deer for reproduction.

The claim that mice are responsible for deer tick populations and subsequent high rates of Lyme disease are absolutely false.

Reduce the deer population, and you will nearly eliminate the deer tick population, and subsequently Lyme disease. This has been demonstrated over and over again - in areas where deer populations have been reduced, Lyme incidence nearly disappears.

Claims to the contrary are, to put it simply, lies.
Brennan

Clawson, MI

#9 Dec 7, 2007
You guys need to open your eyes. If they don't thin the herd by hunting, then come winter time these deer are going to be starving to death. So which would you prefer? A few deer quickly, quietly, and HUMANELY taken by hunters and the rest being fine through the winter. OR all of the deer going into Winter and not having enough food and having skinny starving deer all over the campus and dying in the woods after weeks of starvation?

As for claiming that we should do something other then killing them? Would you prefer a trap and release program that would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars? Not to mention then it would just be adding to overpopulation in other parts of the state.

Hunting is important for the deer population in Maryland.

And I couldn't agree more with HRC! Why aren't you students writing petitions to stop hate crimes in Baltimore? Look at this woman's face! It could have been any one of you or your girlfriends, but you're too worried about a couple deer. http://www.examiner.com/a-1089067~Woman_beate...
JAS

Reston, VA

#10 Dec 7, 2007
Whats really shocking about this whole thing is how how sheltered a life these student protesters appear to have led.

I would venture to guess that MOST if them eat meat.....do they think that the meat they eat just auto-magically appears on their plates?

I would also venture to guess that these same students have no clue what over population and starvation is all about.

Maybe college students should be required to take a class each semester that is based upon Reality...something to contrast their otherworldly classes in Liberal Arts.
JAS

Reston, VA

#11 Dec 7, 2007
Mmmmmm Bambi is SOOOO Tasty!
Jennifer

Washington, DC

#12 Dec 7, 2007
As one who lives in a hunting area, let me attest that bow and arrow hunting is one of the MOST INHUMANE and horrific ways to take an animal's life. The animal rarely dies instantly. Instead, the arrow, which consists of a tripod of razor blades, rips into the animal's chest and lungs, causing enormous trauma, internal bleeding, agony, and eventual suffocation. Many animals walk around for hours or days with arrows stuck in them. These gentle animals deserve better. The Goucher community should stand up NOW, and stop this. There are better ways to live with deer: Streiter reflecters are effective at keeping deer from crossing roads. Smart choices of what to plant and where to fence will protect plants. Birth control methods have proved effective at campuses in Maryland, such as at NIST (the National Institute for Standards and Technology). Even bullets are much more humane than arrows. But it has also been shown that culling deer actually increases their tendency to reproduce, stimulating females to reproduce earlier and with more multiple births. So if this practice is allowed on campus, it is likely not to solve anything, but will instead start a very cruel practice that will likely be repeated every year. Stand up against it now. In this season of peace, let us not look the other way while the animals face this kind of torment.
Hunter

Aberdeen, MD

#13 Dec 7, 2007
Everyone who is against hunting find a copy of the MD Hunter Education Student Book by the DNR. Turn to Goal 5 Wildlife Conservation, read it.

here is an excerpt from it.

"Hunting Benefits wildlife by:
-controlling animal populations at healthy levels in balance w/ habitat
-providing funding for wildlife management activities
-increasing knowledge and appreciation of wildlife resources"

If they aren't hunted then the deer will be overpopulating the area leading to starvation, inbreeding, and disease. Not to mention getting hit by cars which puts everyone in the area at risk.

How is killing an animal inhumane? Whats inhumane is having starving ppl on the streets, when the meat could goto a soup kitchen to feed the less fortunate.

Killing wild game is more humane then the farm animals everyone eats. Most of the farm animals that you eat are mistreated and abused so i don't wanna hear that hunting is inhumane.
FEZ

Reston, VA

#14 Dec 7, 2007
Jennifer wrote:
As one who lives in a hunting area, let me attest that bow and arrow hunting is one of the MOST INHUMANE and horrific ways to take an animal's life. The animal rarely dies instantly. Instead, the arrow, which consists of a tripod of razor blades, rips into the animal's chest and lungs, causing enormous trauma, internal bleeding, agony, and eventual suffocation. Many animals walk around for hours or days with arrows stuck in them. These gentle animals deserve better. The Goucher community should stand up NOW, and stop this. There are better ways to live with deer: Streiter reflecters are effective at keeping deer from crossing roads. Smart choices of what to plant and where to fence will protect plants. Birth control methods have proved effective at campuses in Maryland, such as at NIST (the National Institute for Standards and Technology). Even bullets are much more humane than arrows. But it has also been shown that culling deer actually increases their tendency to reproduce, stimulating females to reproduce earlier and with more multiple births. So if this practice is allowed on campus, it is likely not to solve anything, but will instead start a very cruel practice that will likely be repeated every year. Stand up against it now. In this season of peace, let us not look the other way while the animals face this kind of torment.
No offense Jennifer but you are poorly informed.

As a whole bowhunters are very responsible and make clean, humane kills.

I've seen instances where deer were hit in the vitals (heart/lings), flinched with the hit and then gone about foraging as if they didn't even know they were shot until they collapse.

It actually is a humane means of controlling the population and is one that is far more ecologically sound than introducing chemicals/hormones/birth control to an ecosystem.

To your comments about hunting actually causing MORE breeding...well that only follows logic because currently the herd is way over the areas ability to support.....ie they are starving to death....starving animals don't reproduce...they suffer and die...which is more humane to you?

Deer as with most animals will expand their population until the enviroment can no longer support their numbets....only we have removed natural predators which would have otherwise culled the heard.

Which do you think is more humane? Allowing them to starve or harvesting a portion of the heard and providing the meat to homeless shelters.

Any sane person can see that the answer is obvious.
Terri from Towson

Huntingdon Valley, PA

#15 Dec 7, 2007
Starving, scrawny deer scavenging for food verses food for homeless shelters and soup kitchens. I applaud the controversial correct choice made by Goucher college to thin the deer population. As a neighbor of Goucher, will we be given notice of the hunting days?
for the animals

Fort Wayne, IN

#16 Dec 7, 2007
Luckily, the numbers of cowardly, sissy scum hunters is constantly decreasing. The only public service these Fudd outtakes from “Deliverance” provide is to kill each other and themselves in hunting accidents. Unfortunately, they take innocent animals and innocent members of the public with them. They are a menace, who intentionally create or increase EVERY problem that they blame on deer (or they simply make up non-existent problems). Hunting increases deer-car collisions (as per stats from highway studies and reports from insurance companies and body-shops/tow companies). They intentionally increase the population of animals they want to recreationally kill, through habitat manipulation (to the detriment of non-game animals and native plants) and through hunting (deer numbers rebound after a hunt, as is known to EVERY wildlife biologist). Public health studies demonstrate that hunting does NOT decrease the incidence of Lyme, and might actually increase it. All of this carnage is supported by state game agencies, which make their salaries from the sale of hunting licenses. If you want to fight these scum, don’t just grumble. Call your local animal rights groups and ask to get involved. Only 5% of Americans hunt, yet they control all decisions affecting wildlife. And take it a step further—become vegan. Aside from the over 10 billion animals tortured and killed in this country, every year, for environment-destroying, unhealthy “food,” the federal government tortures and kills wildlife to protect the financial interests of ranchers. Get involved. These scum have nothing on their side-not science, not ethics. But they have high-powered lobbyists. We, however, outnumber them and will defeat them.
heidi

Baltimore, MD

#17 Dec 7, 2007
I am a weekly runner at Goucher and I sorta enjoy seeing the dear. However the reasons stated in the article seem practical for the situation. How sad though :(
ZET

Columbia, MD

#18 Dec 7, 2007
for the animals wrote:
These scum have nothing on their side-not science, not ethics. But they have high-powered lobbyists. We, however, outnumber them and will defeat them.
Funny thing is that several million years of Ecology/Wildlife Biology/Zoology just might disagree with your malformed opinion.

If you want to be a vegan go for it but you need to respect others and the decisions they make for their own lives. The sad part about this is that you really believe that you occupy the high moral ground, the reality is that your cranium is stuffed so far up you your "Collective" posterior that you no longer can tell up from down.

Man has and always be part of the natural world no matter how much we manipulate our environment....we will always be Omnivores

“Hey”

Since: Nov 07

laurel md

#19 Dec 8, 2007
Jennifer wrote:
...But it has also been shown that culling deer actually increases their tendency to reproduce, stimulating females to reproduce earlier and with more multiple births....
Jennifer,

Let's take one thing at a time.
I'll be happy to discuss the other aspects of your comments at a later time.

I asked Anthony Marr to contact your friend Peter to send me the spreadsheet that he uses during your conferences.

My effort is to determine the truth to the assertions of the ARAs regarding "compensatory rebound effect."

CRE suggests that hunters actually create a bigger problem than that which exists today. I believe it to be untrue.

Peter has yet to respond. I asked for the information shortly after your presentations in Columbia.

When you are ready to discuss this issue in greater depth and detail.
I can only surmise that there are flaws in Peter's formulas that suggest this (less=more) is the case.

Regards,

Pete
Proud Hunter

Essex, MD

#20 Dec 8, 2007
Call me what you want, the Deer population in that area is way to high. Now with that being said how do i become one of the 50 selected?
Jennifer C Grill

Gwynn Oak, MD

#21 Dec 8, 2007
As the Wildlife Spokesperson of Animal Advocates of Howard County, I am stunned that such an astute educational facility would make such an uneducated decision regarding deer management. Clearly they are beng misinformed by either hunters or by government agencies that salaries are dependent on hunting licenses.
As stated in a letter by the Secretary of Department of Natural Resources, John Griffin,Lyme disease has certainly become more prevelant in Maryland in recent years, but it is not accurate that deer are the primary carriers of the blacklegged tick, more commonly referred to as the deer tick, which carries the disease. The truth is, birds and rodents, such as the white-footed deer mouse, are the principal carriers of infected ticks. Even a dramatic reduction in the deer population would do little to dampen the spread of the disease.
Hunters and wildlife officials frequently claim that deer hunting reduces winter starvation rates and that hunting is more humane than letting deer starve. But the facts are exactly the opposite. Hunting usually increases the rate of deer malnutrition and starvation in many ways, due to lack of space on this post I will just name a few. Hunting skews the sex ration leaving more young or pregnant deer combined with reduced food supplies during winter results in more malnutrition and starvation; hunting also induces stress on the deer which makes deer more susceptible to starvation; hunting disrupts the normal movement patterns of deer are forced into small, compact areas of safety. This leads to overbrowsing and malnourishment.
Bowhunting is the most inhumane and sadistic way of killing deer. Dozens of scientific studies indicate that bow hunting yields more than a 50 percent crippling rate. While a deer shot with a rifle takes 5-10 minutes to die an animal shot by a bow may take 60-70 minutes. For every animal dragged from the woods, at least one animal is left wounded to suffer - either to bleed to death or to become infested with parasites and diseases.
There are many non-lethal alternatives regarding deer. I would hope that this environmentally friendly campus will be open to hearing the alternatives.
As for all of the students that are interested in fighting this battle, please contact me through Animal Advocates of Howard County.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fallston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Muslim leader refutes concerns, vows Joppatowne... Oct '17 Joppa 2
Cockroach Problem Aug '17 Chess1458 1
Social Security & Medicare Pay for Wall Aug '17 house news cycle 1
do not buy from jones junction used cars (Jul '12) Jul '17 Boby my 105
News Stone's Cove Kitbar closes in Bel Air Jul '17 EGG 1
Car inspection (May '17) May '17 CJGti 1
News Nine charged with distributing heroin in Harfor... (Apr '17) Apr '17 noobieR 1

Fallston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fallston Mortgages