Should state mandate immunizations? New requirements effective in July

May 4, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Chattanoogan.com

Immunizations are one of the most efficient and cost-effective ways to protect children against childhood diseases and Tennessee law requires documented immunizations.

Comments
6,621 - 6,640 of 8,961 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Done my homework wrote:
(a) California consumers have the right to know whether the foods they purchase were produced using genetic engineering. Genetic engineering of plants and animals often causes unintended consequences. Manipulating genes and inserting them into organisms is an imprecise process. The results are not always predictable or controllable, and they can lead to adverse health or environmental consequences.
First paragraph I read.
Yeah, but get down into the rest of it where it starts talking about exceptions and it gets tricky.

Also, this statement is not actually backed up with facts. It sounds good, but they have not actually shown any adverse health consequences.

Not saying they couldn't exist. Just saying they haven't shown them to exist.
really

Zirconia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

I have seen many children with autism....not convinced its a reality.... most just seem to require discipline!!

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

really wrote:
I have seen many children with autism....not convinced its a reality.... most just seem to require discipline!!
The autism spectrum is wide. At one end, the person may just come across as shy or undisciplined. At the other end, they are sitting in the corner rocking back and forth and screaming.

"Autism" now covers a HUGE range of disorders, hence the sudden "spike" in autism cases.
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Text_of...
<quoted text>
While I agree that some of what Monsanto is doing is having negative effects on bee populations, etc. it's worth keeping in mind that you aren't injecting this stuff into your blood stream.
You're chewing it up and eating it.
A fish protein, whether from a fish or from a tomato, is still just a protein. When it hits the stomach acid it behaves like the same protein regardless of the source.
However, I do agree that splicing in something that we never eat requires a much higher degree of testing than splicing two types of food together.
<quoted text>
Because a badly worded initiative can easily cause massive costs to companies.
For example, if we pass a law that says egg producing farms needs to give each chicken 3 sq feet of space (btw I have NO IDEA how much space a chicken has, I'm just guessing) but they currently have only 2sq ft, the farmer is looking at redoing ALL 10,000 cages _and_ slaughtering a couple thousand chickens to fit the new criteria.
But, in the end, are the chickens better off? Do chickens prefer more space? Or do they like to cluster together for security?
California's initiative process assumes that the voter knows something about the topic which is almost NEVER the case. It condenses down 10-15 page documents into 2-3 sentences and expects someone who has never even heard about it to make a wise decision in the voting booth.
I believe Monsanto should be shut down.They are evil.They have bankrupted American farmers,sicken childre and workers in India,farmers in India committing suicide.
You need to watch The World According To Monsanto and Food Incorporated to see the chickens and the conditions they live under.
Genetically engineered food alters our digestive tract.
http://www.anh-usa.org/genetically-engineered... - tract/
GMO French Study-Rats tumor ridden.
http://www.naturalnews.com/037249_gmo_study_c...

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe Monsanto should be shut down.They are evil.They have bankrupted American farmers,sicken childre and workers in India,farmers in India committing suicide.
You need to watch The World According To Monsanto and Food Incorporated to see the chickens and the conditions they live under.
Genetically engineered food alters our digestive tract.
http://www.anh-usa.org/genetically-engineered... - tract/
GMO French Study-Rats tumor ridden.
http://www.naturalnews.com/037249_gmo_study_c...
I'm not a fan of Monsanto either. I believe their rules about farmers not keeping seeds is ridiculous.

however, I am already familiar with the French Rat study. The study had a poor sample size and bad controls.

That doesn't mean that the results weren't accurate. It does mean that they may or may not have been accurate and another better study should be done.

Remember there are huge down the line effects of knee jerk reactions. Ending all GMO foods would result in massive die offs of fish populations as pesticides and fertilizers are required in much higher concentrations. It will result in crop failures during droughts, higher food prices, lower crop yeilds, etc.

A middle ground needs to be sought and that middle ground should include some SERIOUS federal oversight of companies like Monsanto
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a fan of Monsanto either. I believe their rules about farmers not keeping seeds is ridiculous.
however, I am already familiar with the French Rat study. The study had a poor sample size and bad controls.
That doesn't mean that the results weren't accurate. It does mean that they may or may not have been accurate and another better study should be done.
Remember there are huge down the line effects of knee jerk reactions. Ending all GMO foods would result in massive die offs of fish populations as pesticides and fertilizers are required in much higher concentrations. It will result in crop failures during droughts, higher food prices, lower crop yeilds, etc.
A middle ground needs to be sought and that middle ground should include some SERIOUS federal oversight of companies like Monsanto
I believe they have to go.GMOs have to go.Life on this planet has been evolving and unfolding for all these years, This life force connecting all life intune with itself,not for corporate profit and power and campaign cash to keep everyone in tow. This life force continued on from none other than the love of life.
It is as if life itself has been raped and I find it appalling and frighting.
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Organic rice farmer in India yields over 22 tons of crop on only 2 acres,proving the fraud of GMOs and Big Ag.
http://www.naturalnews.com/039766_rice_farmin...

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe they have to go.GMOs have to go.Life on this planet has been evolving and unfolding for all these years, This life force connecting all life intune with itself,not for corporate profit and power and campaign cash to keep everyone in tow. This life force continued on from none other than the love of life.
It is as if life itself has been raped and I find it appalling and frighting.
Just about everything you eat or have eaten was genetically modified by humans.

Every crop, every domestic animal,etc. All of it modified over time.

Science is getting more efficient at it, but it's always been there.
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

GMOs are different.Here is the difference.
http://www.sunridgefarms.com/news/index.php...

When a donkey and horse are interbred the offspring, the mule, is sterile. These are two different spieces and something does not want this mix to continue.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Hey wrote:
GMOs are different.Here is the difference.
http://www.sunridgefarms.com/news/index.php...
When a donkey and horse are interbred the offspring, the mule, is sterile. These are two different spieces and something does not want this mix to continue.
However both the donkey and the horse got to where they are by human breeding.

Corn was originally teocinte. Modern corn can not breed with teocinte, doesn't mean that we didn't talk it all the way down that path.

Many of our high yield crops are hybrids, some are even sterile.
anon

Mckenzie, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

No More wrote:
Do you all want small pox, the plague, polio, whooping cough, and a whole host of other things that have been eradicated to come back. Food additive's are probably more responsible for autism. And diet in general. During the fifties women drank, smoked while preg. and then we got every new shoot in the world and autism was not going crazy then.
i think its alittle bit of all of it
Done my homework

Oak Ridge, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true, however it's also extremely arbitrary on the part of the religious.
If I started a religion that forbid the eating of grain harvested by someone left handed, would that require labeling?
Where does that end?
<quoted text>
It doesn't help that the information is not easily available. You yourself couldn't find the text of the prop.
Most CA voters don't know what the props are until the actually show up to vote. There's usually one or two that get a lot of press, but then theres 6-8 more no one discusses
There's no way for me to research everything I'd like to, let alone earn a living AND research. I'm pretty good with Thomas, I sometimes get lucky researching Tennessee bills, but keeping abreast with current events seems to consume so much time lately that much beyond that is pushing my boundaries a bit much.

As for religious restrictions, the ones I refer to are long standing, and more a matter of curiosity than anything else. Maybe a Rabbi could give some insight on this?

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Done my homework wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no way for me to research everything I'd like to, let alone earn a living AND research. I'm pretty good with Thomas, I sometimes get lucky researching Tennessee bills, but keeping abreast with current events seems to consume so much time lately that much beyond that is pushing my boundaries a bit much.
As for religious restrictions, the ones I refer to are long standing, and more a matter of curiosity than anything else. Maybe a Rabbi could give some insight on this?
Yes, there are a lot of long standing religious restrictions. The way they've been handled in the past has worked out great. Companies can pursue the niche market and advertise to them accordingly.

There's no federal oversight as to whether or not Hebrew International Hotdogs are actually kosher or not. I'm sure there is some Jewish group that looks into these things and lets it be known if the company is breaking the rules.

Having the government get into the business of overseeing religious dietary standards is just more trouble than its worth
Done my homework

Oak Ridge, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, there are a lot of long standing religious restrictions. The way they've been handled in the past has worked out great. Companies can pursue the niche market and advertise to them accordingly.
There's no federal oversight as to whether or not Hebrew International Hotdogs are actually kosher or not. I'm sure there is some Jewish group that looks into these things and lets it be known if the company is breaking the rules.
Having the government get into the business of overseeing religious dietary standards is just more trouble than its worth
True, but considering how this government likes to meddle in our private lives, it is a wonder they haven't.

I'm sure you're right about companies target marketing certain groups, though at an increased cost. None-the-less such marketing would still require a degree of trust in those companies which may, or may not, be warranted.

Why do you think so many food companies fought so hard against GMO labeling? It surely couldn't cost more than a fraction of a penny to include that with what is already required.
meMrsGrandma

Oneida, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

NO....health is none of the state or fed government's business. Should be decided by the parent.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Done my homework wrote:
Why do you think so many food companies fought so hard against GMO labeling? It surely couldn't cost more than a fraction of a penny to include that with what is already required.
It's because the public is frequently scared off by unsubstantiated claims.

Look at the whole issue over vaccines. It's all based on one guys fraudulent claim, but the conspiracy theorists picked it up and ran with it. Now thousands of kids are dying as a result.

CLAIMS that GMO are dangerous have not been substantiated. Therefore, forcing food manufacturers to label their products "warning" customers about the presence of something which science has not shown requires a warning is needless fear mongering.

GMOs are in just about everything you buy. If they were responsible for some crazy health crisis, it would be obvious at this point.

All disease indicators have been in steady decline except obesity related illnesses and that's because of corn syrup not GMOs

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

meMrsGrandma wrote:
NO....health is none of the state or fed government's business. Should be decided by the parent.
If your decision as a parent puts your child's life in danger, shouldn't someone step in and protect the child?

At what point do we as a society stop you from killing your own child?
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
It's because the public is frequently scared off by unsubstantiated claims.
Look at the whole issue over vaccines. It's all based on one guys fraudulent claim, but the conspiracy theorists picked it up and ran with it. Now thousands of kids are dying as a result.
CLAIMS that GMO are dangerous have not been substantiated. Therefore, forcing food manufacturers to label their products "warning" customers about the presence of something which science has not shown requires a warning is needless fear mongering.
GMOs are in just about everything you buy. If they were responsible for some crazy health crisis, it would be obvious at this point.
All disease indicators have been in steady decline except obesity related illnesses and that's because of corn syrup not GMOs
The whole issue on vaccines is way beyond one guy.
I have issues with the SV-40 cancer cells and the monkey viruses and rna that contaminated the polio vaccines which are being found in cancers showing up now.That little issue brought on Nixson's so called "War On Cancer." They knew there was big trouble brewing.
I have issues on the Bill Gates polio Vaccine wonders that have left 43,000 plus kids paralyzed in India.
No problem here just move along folks.How about we move along to autoimmune diseases being caused by animal viruses and mychoplasma brought to you by vaccines and a little bio-warfare ingredience.
How about Merck's Mumps Vaccine Fraud.Or how about Julie Gerberding,the former director of US-CDC-which makes US immunization schedule,becoming the President of Merck's vaccine unit which makes 14 of the 17 pediatric vaccines recommended by the CDC and 4 of 10 recommended for adults.
Mega revolving doors help alot.Keeps them vacs rolling out without too much resistance.Yes?
Check out Monsanto's revolving doors.That list is really long.
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

61 countries (40% of the population)already lable GMOs. The entire EU, even Communist China. Wow communists have that freedom to know what they are spending their money on and putting in their bodies?Wow. Isn't that amazing? Oh add Russia to that list.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
The whole issue on vaccines is way beyond one guy.
Actually it's not. It all started with Wakefield's fraudulent study that he put out as a means of marketing his replacement for the MMR vaccine. Before this, there were no claims. Afterwards, mayhem.
I have issues with the SV-40 cancer cells and the monkey viruses and rna that contaminated the polio vaccines which are being found in cancers showing up now.That little issue brought on Nixson's so called "War On Cancer." They knew there was big trouble brewing.
First of all, give us a link.

Second of all, you are claiming the MODERN vaccines are a problem because of vaccines from 40 years ago?

That's like saying Priuses are bad for the environment because look at the gas mileage on the Edsel.
I have issues on the Bill Gates polio Vaccine wonders that have left 43,000 plus kids paralyzed in India.
Again, citation?
No problem here just move along folks.How about we move along to autoimmune diseases being caused by animal viruses and mychoplasma brought to you by vaccines and a little bio-warfare ingredience.
How about Merck's Mumps Vaccine Fraud.Or how about Julie Gerberding,the former director of US-CDC-which makes US immunization schedule,becoming the President of Merck's vaccine unit which makes 14 of the 17 pediatric vaccines recommended by the CDC and 4 of 10 recommended for adults.
Mega revolving doors help alot.Keeps them vacs rolling out without too much resistance.Yes?
Check out Monsanto's revolving doors.That list is really long.
Again, citation, citation, citation...

As for policy maker to corporate position - that's commonplace through out the government. At least in the field of medicine, you can point to the fact that these people are highly specialized and there are only so many people with that level of specilization.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Fairview Discussions

Search the Fairview Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 4 min Dok Patrol 141,140
Maury County Sheriff 2014 (Sep '13) 8 min Jack 656
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 1 hr Sam The Man 8,589
Why Americans Will Not Fight Back Against Corru... Sat SpySpy 1
Fairview Soccer Jul 25 Fairview Soccer 1
Jennifer (Verchota) Mount Jul 24 Disgusted 1
Shawn Metcalf Jul 23 Ant 6
•••
•••
•••
•••

Fairview Jobs

•••