Law snuffs out mailing smokes to depl...

Law snuffs out mailing smokes to deployed troops

There are 12 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Aug 10, 2010, titled Law snuffs out mailing smokes to deployed troops. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

Susan Baldwin packs a box for a family friend stationed overseas on Tuesday, Aug.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

The Wildman

Anaheim, CA

#1 Aug 10, 2010
Thank the Nicotine Nazis for this ridiculous law. Barbara Boxer IGNORED attempts to contact her regarding the PACT Act and my opposition to it, which is why I am supporting Carly Fiorina in November. You should as well.
Veteran

Salinas, CA

#2 Aug 10, 2010
Can you believe this stupid stance. Typical of those in congress who have nothing better to do than pass such a law and to think those in the USPS react without gettin g clarification from congress. It would only take a two minute vote to exempt shipments to our America's heros. Better yet our lame President could give an executive order to allow these shipments. This is just another example why Washington is broke. There needs to be a change, not an Obama change, but a cleaning of our legislators, with people with new ideas and a brain not stuck in the mud. Another TEA PARTY reason.
rita

Santa Cruz, CA

#3 Aug 10, 2010
The Wildman wrote:
Thank the Nicotine Nazis for this ridiculous law. Barbara Boxer IGNORED attempts to contact her regarding the PACT Act and my opposition to it, which is why I am supporting Carly Fiorina in November. You should as well.
While I certainly think that this law is ridiculous, it is not enough reason to vote for Fiorina. She is anti'choice, anti'worker", anti-environment and anti anything that doesn't supportv fundies and corps. Speaking of nazis!
Baja K

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Aug 10, 2010
Here's a solution which, being sensible, will never be enacted.

Have plain, organic or at least additive-free tobacco cigarettes be declared the only cigarettes to be mailed to soldiers abroad. The Dept of Defense, in fact, ought be subsidizing organic tobacco farms specifically for US soldiers overseas or in VA hospitals or anywhere.

It could be declared a National Interest to not have soldiers afflicted with the inevitable effects of typical pesticide-contaminated, radiation-contaminated, chlorine-contaminated, multi untested-ingredient contaminated, burn accelerant-contaminated, and even fake tobacco cigarettes.

Added benefits: Plain tobacco (as smoked for about ten thousand years in the Americas) provides appetite suppression, stress relief, alertness, digestive relief, and adequate nicotine to eliminate the "need" for chain smoking. That is...overdosing would be minimized.

And that's without the inevitable harms from the pesticides, the cancer-causing radiation from certain phosphate tobacco fertilizers, the cancer-causing dioxins from the chlorine pesticide residues and the chlorine-bleached paper, and other toxins and carcinogens from any of the 1400 or so untested often toxic non-tobacco ingredients the cig makers choose from for their secret recipes.

One can understand why maybe Al-Qaeda would give US and allied soldiers the typical "Pesticide Pegs", or "Dioxin Dowels" or "Radiation Rods"...but it is beyond understanding that the Pentagon, or soldiers' parents and friends etc, would send soldiers the typical contaminated concoctions. Of course, most people don't know that a typical "tobacco product" is no more tobacco, or just tobacco, than the man in the moon...but the Pentagon has access to all the EPA, USDA, Centers for Disease Control, etc., info about the pesticides and fertilizers and dioxins and so forth.

Plain Tobacco ONLY For Our Soldiers. They get quite enough deadly industrial chemical, and radiation, exposures in the line of duty as it is.
Baja K

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Aug 10, 2010
If the soldiers are denied mailed cigarettes, what will the Pentagon use to blame soldiers' illnesses on? The "stress" explanation is wearing a bit thin.
To blame "smoking" is MUCH more convenient than getting into pesky issues about Depleted Uranium or vaccines or pesticides.
To blame the smokers, soldiers or otherwise, is to let makers of the industrial carcinogens and toxins off the hook.

In the New World Global Corporatocracy, all diseases will be attributed to "personal lifestyles" or Mother Nature.
Baja K

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Aug 10, 2010
Is Boxer, by any chance, a funding or investment beneficiary of members of the cigarette industry? That is...big pesticides, big chlorine, fertilizer mining, ag businesses that contribute cigarette ingredients, pharms that make tobacco pesticides and cigarette additives, or their insurers or investors? Any time an official bags out on any "smoking"
issue, it's virtually guaranteed they are protecting that broad cigarette (not "tobacco", please) cartel.(Mother Nature's tobacco plant is not the villain here. Those who contaminated the tobacco, and who in govt allowed it and covered it up, are the proper targets of prosecution and outrage.)
The Wildman wrote:
BREATHER

United States

#8 Aug 11, 2010
Smoking is only going to harm them long-term-if you care about your loved ones, help them, even if it's harder.
rita

Santa Cruz, CA

#9 Aug 12, 2010
BREATHER wrote:
Smoking is only going to harm them long-term-if you care about your loved ones, help them, even if it's harder.
Keep it in context. This is just as stupid as when, in Vietnam, they took cigarettes out of mre's. It was ok to risk one's life in the jungles of southeast asia, but we couldn't endanger soldier's health with a cigarette? Why don't we baan sending cookies and candy to soldiers? How about hamburgers? All unhealthy things, but education and moderation are better ways to deal.
hmmm

Nashville, TN

#10 Aug 15, 2010
rita wrote:
<quoted text>
While I certainly think that this law is ridiculous, it is not enough reason to vote for Fiorina. She is anti'choice, anti'worker", anti-environment and anti anything that doesn't supportv fundies and corps. Speaking of nazis!
So she is not a feminist huh?
Skippy

Hanover, PA

#12 Sep 3, 2010
I don't smoke. Can't find anything good about it.

Since: Mar 09

Santa Clara, CA

#13 Sep 3, 2010
I can't see how banning mailing cigarettes to soldier's is helping anyone. Can you imagine the added stress of a forced smoking cessation program?
whomever

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Sep 3, 2010
It's obvious these whimp politicians never spent a second in a fox hole.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fairview Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
where is heather Sat Ooh aah 4
Fairview band has pecans for sale Aug 17 Robin 1
Shelly Lee Aug 16 Lee 1
News Six arrests made at motel (Oct '11) Aug 16 He put daughter n... 63
House next to family dollar in big sandy Aug 12 Kms 3
Murder on the Duck River, 1980's (Mar '09) Aug 8 M94laina 13
Friend Aug 6 Old 1

Fairview Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance