Our View: Erie County Council is too ...

Our View: Erie County Council is too quick to OK new Pleasant Ridge

There are 13 comments on the Erie Times-News story from Jan 30, 2011, titled Our View: Erie County Council is too quick to OK new Pleasant Ridge. In it, Erie Times-News reports that:

How long does it take to spend $33 million without taking into consideration all of the facts or listening to public opinion? In the case of Erie County Council, it's all in an afternoon's work, now that council has voted 5-0 to build a new, county-run nursing home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Erie Times-News.

localyoucall

Johnstown, PA

#1 Jan 30, 2011
ERie County spends money, just look south to Johnstown, the 19 year distressed city with parking garges collaspses, year end deficits, three sewer rate increases in 18 months, and a city council that for 10 consecutive years has spent, spent and then spent more and they think they are thje greatest thing since peanut butter
localyoucall

Johnstown, PA

#2 Jan 30, 2011
The city of johnstown's local elected leaders when some calls for Public Opinion, runs to Giant Eagle's ceral section looking for a new breakfast food.
CRANK

Erie, PA

#3 Jan 31, 2011
Obviously the ETN is upset because council supported replacing Pleasant Ridge Manor facilities, but didn't support their pet project, the community college. This isn't about the Manor, or the people it serves. Its about the paper in a snit because council didn't let the paper set the agenda. The paper is not fiscally conservative by any stretch of anyone's imagination. They love spending tax dollars. Almost as much as they love telling elected officials how to spend. The ETN has much invested in Grossman, and he isn't performing up to expectations. But since he's currently their boy, instead of building him up, they have to resort to taring down council. If it was based upon a fiscal ideology that would be one thing, and perhaps understandable. But it isn't. It's based on influence peddling. And right now, the ETN influence isn't selling with council, and they are really upset about that.
Taxpayer

Franklin, PA

#4 Jan 31, 2011
moving the Fairview facility is crazy, poor management. It will also hurt the jobs there.
To build another new 33 MILLION BOND ISSUE...
what the hello are they thinking?????????
West County EMT service will also suffer from job / fee loss, which puts their whole service to West county at risk if they go belly up, who will answer
calls from 911 when no technicians are available.
We need a new County Council / not new spending!
CRANK

Erie, PA

#5 Jan 31, 2011
Taxpayer wrote:
moving the Fairview facility is crazy, poor management. It will also hurt the jobs there.
To build another new 33 MILLION BOND ISSUE...
what the hello are they thinking?????????
West County EMT service will also suffer from job / fee loss, which puts their whole service to West county at risk if they go belly up, who will answer
calls from 911 when no technicians are available.
We need a new County Council / not new spending!
Unfortunately wrong on all counts. First of all this isn't a sudden deal. Council has been looking at this issue for years. I personally had a conversation with three council members about this over two years ago. As for jobs, while the details are not yet final, the leading spot for the replacement facility is on land the county already owns were the annex is located on Gore Road. Not that far a commute for current employees. And the current facility no longer meets state required standards, and whether the county kept it, or tried to sell it to another operator, that work would have to be done. It the county tried to sell it, they would pay in a reduced sale price. The facility is a county provided service for decades going back to when it was known as the "poor farm". As for 9-1-1, the west county is primarily serviced by volunteers from the Fairview Fire Department, backed up by West County Paramedics. As the county center dispatches Fairview, I fail to see how you figure it enters into the conversation, as the only difference is a transfer of ambulance service and fire protection from Fairview and WCPA to Belle Valley and MPS. As for fees, the facility accounts for around 30 to 40% of Fairview's call volume, but contributes only about 20% of the revenue. So rather than a burden, their moving would actually benefit the community. Especially if the property ended back up on the tax rolls, contributing to the cost of government, either in housing or some other use. It's a shame the paper wasn't interested in covering this when the state inspectors were issuing their reports several years ago, when the discussion started. Had the ETN agreed with the council action you probably wouldn't have read anything about it now, either.
Zorro

United States

#6 Jan 31, 2011
Well I can't say if building a new one is the right thing to do but I am sure that ETN needs to stay out of the opinion business and spend more time in the factual news business.
snag

Erie, PA

#7 Jan 31, 2011
CRANK wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately wrong on all counts. First of all this isn't a sudden deal. Council has been looking at this issue for years. I personally had a conversation with three council members about this over two years ago. As for jobs, while the details are not yet final, the leading spot for the replacement facility is on land the county already owns were the annex is located on Gore Road. Not that far a commute for current employees. And the current facility no longer meets state required standards, and whether the county kept it, or tried to sell it to another operator, that work would have to be done. It the county tried to sell it, they would pay in a reduced sale price. The facility is a county provided service for decades going back to when it was known as the "poor farm". As for 9-1-1, the west county is primarily serviced by volunteers from the Fairview Fire Department, backed up by West County Paramedics. As the county center dispatches Fairview, I fail to see how you figure it enters into the conversation, as the only difference is a transfer of ambulance service and fire protection from Fairview and WCPA to Belle Valley and MPS. As for fees, the facility accounts for around 30 to 40% of Fairview's call volume, but contributes only about 20% of the revenue. So rather than a burden, their moving would actually benefit the community. Especially if the property ended back up on the tax rolls, contributing to the cost of government, either in housing or some other use. It's a shame the paper wasn't interested in covering this when the state inspectors were issuing their reports several years ago, when the discussion started. Had the ETN agreed with the council action you probably wouldn't have read anything about it now, either.
I think that $30+ million when we do not have jobs to pay for it is a HUGE concern, oh, that's right, they thought about it, humm, fun to spend money they have to borrow, i.e. someone's elses money.
CRANK

Erie, PA

#8 Feb 1, 2011
snag wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that $30+ million when we do not have jobs to pay for it is a HUGE concern, oh, that's right, they thought about it, humm, fun to spend money they have to borrow, i.e. someone's elses money.
And what would you do? Shut the place down and throw people into the street? Come on. It is a county owned facility, and it is time it needs replaced. We have to maintain programs we have before we start new ones. This is a higher priority than a community college, as it is something we already have, people are depending on it, and it does a good job of providing for those people. If we can waste county money on airport runway extensions, convention centers and hotels, we can adequately maintain a nursing home program. You want to get rid of something, get rid of the runway project.
tombo

Cleveland, OH

#9 Feb 1, 2011
CRANK wrote:
<quoted text>
And what would you do? Shut the place down and throw people into the street? Come on. It is a county owned facility, and it is time it needs replaced. We have to maintain programs we have before we start new ones. This is a higher priority than a community college, as it is something we already have, people are depending on it, and it does a good job of providing for those people. If we can waste county money on airport runway extensions, convention centers and hotels, we can adequately maintain a nursing home program. You want to get rid of something, get rid of the runway project.
Boy. Ain't that the truth. What's the tab on the runway thus far? I think it's closing in on $90 million...for some pavement, lighting, and a fence. Ten years in the making...zero payoff.

I'm really glad to see some support for a government/socialized medical program.
Taxpayer

Franklin, PA

#10 Feb 1, 2011
CRANK wrote:
<quoted text>
And what would you do? Shut the place down and throw people into the street? Come on. It is a county owned facility, and it is time it needs replaced. We have to maintain programs we have before we start new ones. This is a higher priority than a community college, as it is something we already have, people are depending on it, and it does a good job of providing for those people. If we can waste county money on airport runway extensions, convention centers and hotels, we can adequately maintain a nursing home program. You want to get rid of something, get rid of the runway project.
Fix it up... it need sprinkler system 1 million, little over. The building is sound, well built and can service a growing senior community, not tossing people out in the street. The need is growing for a facility like this, and the tax payroll loss will be felt by Fairview Twp./ West County.
This has it's own water supply, it's own sewage system, ease of access, scenic area, a stand alone facility... cost millions to tear down, Hog wash to spend , spend, spend,$33 million dollars to "let's build something" Erie Co. does not need to do this!
TaxNoMore

Moorpark, CA

#11 Feb 1, 2011
Why do my taxes continue to rise?

How did the powerful gain power over the rest of us?

In a time when the power and freedom of the average American is being eroded at terrific speed, many of us wonder how this could be happening.

What we may not realize it that the powerful have specific tools or principles to use to con the rest of us into surrendering our power to them.

One of the most effective principles used in the last several years with great success is the Hegelian Principle.

The principle is simple, consisting of only three steps toward a preconceived goal.

Once you are able to see how it works, you may want to analyze many of the events unfolding around you in terms of this principle.

As the principle is often used today, it can be explained as:

Step One:

Create a problem or conflict - Perceive a problem that exists and build it up out of proportion to its actual importance, or create a problem or conflict where none existed before.

Step Two:

Publicize the problem and create opposition to it - Relentlessly place stories about this problem in the major media outlets.
Report on it daily until it becomes a steady drumbeat and a truism for the public who then begin clamoring for a solution to this problem.

Step Three:

Offer a solution - The best solutions are those that appeal to the emotions of the public and make them think something really good is being done for them, when in fact, something really bad is being done to them.

This solution is one that the public never knew it needed until the conditioning of Step Two was successfully completed.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/023727_butter_Hitl...
ETN Su Cks

Pittsburgh, PA

#12 Feb 1, 2011
What is wrong with those dudes at the paper do they live inside berrie grossman's azz and eat his po op they are against everyathing good and want what he wants must have ed palalettas bal lz in a vice.
Travis

Bloomsburg, PA

#13 Feb 1, 2011
ETN Su Cks wrote:
What is wrong with those dudes at the paper do they live inside berrie grossman's azz and eat his po op they are against everyathing good and want what he wants must have ed palalettas bal lz in a vice.
they all have the same father...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fairview Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Almi Clerkin is unfit to run for mayor of Erie 33 min Mary Rose 10
Blacks on CNN 1 hr just sayin 27
When did Lonestar close? (Jan '11) 1 hr Carrie 29
McKean Weekend Accident 1 hr Totally not prograde 30
G.E. will be ending production in June 2017" p... 1 hr Bldg 6 69
No help for police in latest shooting 2 hr Bird 18
Iroquois Schools need money 2 hr No City Trash All... 13

Fairview Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fairview Mortgages