Concerns raised over 911 center

Full story: GoErie.com 25
Pittsburgh-area officials are calling for changes at Allegheny County's consolidated 911 dispatch center in the wake of an emergency call-taker's mistakes before the fatal shooting of three Pittsburgh police officers. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
FYI

Yatesboro, PA

#21 Apr 10, 2009
911 Dispatch Center Facing Problems?
Emergency workers say that the new 911 center has only had a few small issues, but allegations are flying that problems with dispatching first responders could be adding minutes to call times. The move to the 8.5 million dollar county 911 center was supposed to streamline operations for dispatching emergency responders. However since the building began handling 911 calls in June of 2008, the county has been working to get the bugs out of the system.

"The problems have varied.�€&#6553 3;, says Joe Weindorf, Erie County�€™s public safety director. �€œThe problems primarily were getting our connectivity where it should be and our technology, then there�€™s the task of learning the actual job."

Dispatchers and call takers go through 500 hours of training, but Weindorf says its the actual on the job training that really matters. WSEE has received several emails over the past few days of wrong companies being called and being sent to the wrong address. Weindorf says those problems are being addressed and worked out, but some fear that any delay at all could be tragic.

"It�€™s huge! Ambulance calls, depending on the nature, if it�€™s a trauma call, minutes can be life and death for somebody. If it�€™s a house faire, minutes are a matter of saving the home or not.", says Platea Borough Council VP Katrina Michael.

Weindorf admits that initial mistakes are simply the nature of emergency dispatch.

"I�€™ll challenge anybody that says they started a dispatch center at a high level of perfection because it doesn't happen and not only do you have the operational issues that come with it, you have a significant issue with technology.", ha says.

Recently the center had connectivity issues with Erie police cruisers, problems we're told are nearly fixed. However some still say while they expected problems, there's still too many that they notice.

"Errors in who is being sent are still routine, so you would think in two months it would be fewer and its not.", says Michaels.

Weindorf, however says that things are getting better. He told Newswatch that complaints at the center have gone from around 15 during a 30 day period to 3, however a source within the Erie Fire Department says that errors are still routine.
Bookmark and Share
Posted in Erie, PA on 5:50 pm Thu April 9 2009 by Charles Santini
DontGetIt

Pittsburgh, PA

#22 Apr 10, 2009
concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious with this statement. It does matter if the dispatcher did not tell the police officers. It might not have changed the outcome but then again we will never know because there was information that was not properly relayed to the police officers. I have to say that smallest of details could change the way an officer responds to a call. When you don't give the information that is important then you open yourself up to lawsuits. The person should be fired. This job is not like a bunch of paper pushers that can say "oops forgot to send out that email or memo, I can do it tomorrow." As you can see there is no tomorrow for those fallen officers.
Yes I am serious. The question "are there weapons in the home" is stupid. There are weapons in EVERY SINGLE home, conventional or non. Besides, Poplawski was NON VIOLENT at the time she made the call, she only wanted him removed. Mrs. Poplawski was negligent in telling 911 he was suiting up for war, that's the problem. So, if it wouldn't have changed the outcome why are you being so hard on the call taker? Why does everyone in this society like to whine and complain and displace blame?
will MOT

Wattsburg, PA

#23 Apr 11, 2009
I also applaud the courageous people of Platea. How many live there, anyway?
DontGetIt

Pittsburgh, PA

#24 Apr 11, 2009
DontGetIt wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I am serious. The question "are there weapons in the home" is stupid. There are weapons in EVERY SINGLE home, conventional or non. Besides, Poplawski was NON VIOLENT at the time she made the call, she only wanted him removed. Mrs. Poplawski was negligent in telling 911 he was suiting up for war, that's the problem. So, if it wouldn't have changed the outcome why are you being so hard on the call taker? Why does everyone in this society like to whine and complain and displace blame?
Forgot to mention, i am doesntmatter. I cleaned my browsing history.
snag

Erie, PA

#25 Apr 11, 2009
DiVeccio and County Council are the ones who voter should remember gave us this problem. To much change to soon - without a coordinated plan!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fairview Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Negro Mentality 35 min Kyle 18
All Criminal Charges Withdrawn against MECA Dir... 51 min everyone 4
Laurie Eaton is taking MECA to cleaners...read.. 1 hr haha 55
BP Site - 12th & Pittsburgh 2 hr questioner 1
Misery Bay Strokers 2 hr We are SV 62
A Message From Ferguson 2 hr Scooter Van Nooter 1
You have the Fergeson Riots Wrong 2 hr Done with It 1
Fairview Dating
Find my Match

Fairview People Search