local 506 Wake Up
eastside louie

Erie, PA

#71 Jun 28, 2013
Did anyone ever think why the Erie area is loosing population?
Try almost 50yrs of non stop democrats in control of city hall.
The dem unions get whatever they want for voting the Dems in. In return lucrative pay and screw the taxpayer bec all the city workers moved to Millcreek.
Screwed again by the unions.
Till the bitter end

Canton, OH

#73 Jun 28, 2013
skip the pee pee wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah. Has nothing to do with computer technology making machines/machining more efficient nor does it have to do with competing against the world for jobs now instead of regional/countrywide competition during like during the heyday of Tullio.
Yeah. It's democrats, not all that.
So therefore let's keep it all just democrats?Let's not even think of trying something different?Smart plan.
mike

Erie, PA

#76 Jun 29, 2013
The City of Erie started leaving GE years ago. We hold no attraction for a big company. Look around, it's not about the worker bee. GE was happy with the union, and their contracts, or they wouldn't have signed them in the first place.

Now GE is just trying to take whatever they can get before they leave. The union did the right thing by choosing to leave things as they are, as was drawn up by both sides. The union was smart doing damage control, because the horse is out of the barn.

Good Job GE Union for looking over the hill, and holding on to what little we have left. People who still think a worker bee concession would hold GE jobs here is plain crazy. We're not that important.

truth

Rochester, PA

#77 Jun 30, 2013
mike wrote:
The City of Erie started leaving GE years ago. We hold no attraction for a big company. Look around, it's not about the worker bee. GE was happy with the union, and their contracts, or they wouldn't have signed them in the first place.
Now GE is just trying to take whatever they can get before they leave. The union did the right thing by choosing to leave things as they are, as was drawn up by both sides. The union was smart doing damage control, because the horse is out of the barn.
Good Job GE Union for looking over the hill, and holding on to what little we have left. People who still think a worker bee concession would hold GE jobs here is plain crazy. We're not that important.
Keep patting yourselves on the back - that's all you have left. The VAST majority of the community knows that you lost this fight and it's downhill from here. You couldn't get to done when you needed to most. The weak voices of support are no doubt from leadership itself trying to maintain a little dignity in the face of the magnitude of this loss. It's just sad. We all know it.
aladdin

Meadville, PA

#78 Jun 30, 2013
Praise Allah!
santa

Erie, PA

#79 Jun 30, 2013
aladdin wrote:
Praise Allah!
allah is make believe
Stu Pedaso

Warren, OH

#80 Jun 30, 2013
How do you know GE was 'happy" with those contracts? They've been engineering and outsourcing all the reasons that elevated wages to present day levels for years.

Then they became 'unhappy'.

They correctly decided UE would never agree to a reality-based labor contract and acted accordingly.

What did UE protect? Those little UE clips that keep your pencil in your pocket when you grab your ankles in reverence to UE 'principles'?
mike wrote:
Stu Pedaso

Warren, OH

#82 Jun 30, 2013
I trust them to act rationally in the decisions they're charged with making. They are, after all, judged by the bottom line and with their own jobs at risk.
skip the pee pee wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you trust GE at their word, yes or no?
PS "reality-based" is subjective. Notably when players deceive.
mike

Erie, PA

#83 Jun 30, 2013
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep patting yourselves on the back - that's all you have left. The VAST majority of the community knows that you lost this fight and it's downhill from here. You couldn't get to done when you needed to most. The weak voices of support are no doubt from leadership itself trying to maintain a little dignity in the face of the magnitude of this loss. It's just sad. We all know it.
Wrong again, I'm a retired observer, and there never was a fight where GE was concerned, just smoke and mirrors. The union did damage control, and that was the best thing they could do.
mind your own

Presto, PA

#84 Jun 30, 2013
skip the pee pee wrote:
<quoted text>Holy crap. You must be a polack. "you have nothing but your time invested"???? REALLY?
What is life itself made up of if not time? I think you have the value of life confused with the illusion of value pieces of paper and coinage are said to hold.((You have no idea how many even $60 dollar an hour days I've turned down so I can screw off instead.)
But it's ok bro. Us $30 an hour guys pay lots in taxes so your 80 year old ass won't wind up in the gutter some day. You're welcome ;)
your right.. and along with your thinking the bum that keeps the bench warm at 18th and sass has a lot of his precious time invested in keeping that bench warm. dont you think he deserves to share in the citys profit? he does have his time invested

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#85 Jun 30, 2013
None of you inbred idiots have any ACCURATE idea of what is going on out there at the plant. You all listen to the liberal media and read the toilet paper produced newspapers and believe that they are the Bible truth.. Well, you are all wrong and have no idea what the average Union worker thinks out at the plant. They all independent thoughts about what is going on out there and have different views about what should have happened..
truth

Lyndora, PA

#86 Jun 30, 2013
ChrisHarman wrote:
None of you inbred idiots have any ACCURATE idea of what is going on out there at the plant. You all listen to the liberal media and read the toilet paper produced newspapers and believe that they are the Bible truth.. Well, you are all wrong and have no idea what the average Union worker thinks out at the plant. They all independent thoughts about what is going on out there and have different views about what should have happened..
It's not that we're idiots. We just truly don't understand why you didn't want to have an opportunity to vote on something this huge.
mike

Erie, PA

#89 Jul 1, 2013
Stu Pedaso wrote:
How do you know GE was 'happy" with those contracts? They've been engineering and outsourcing all the reasons that elevated wages to present day levels for years.
Then they became 'unhappy'.
They correctly decided UE would never agree to a reality-based labor contract and acted accordingly.
What did UE protect? Those little UE clips that keep your pencil in your pocket when you grab your ankles in reverence to UE 'principles'?
<quoted text>
It's not the contracts or the pay, or the union. It's the downfall of Erie, and the lack of interest in making Erie a productive, educated, upscale on the move place to live.

We can't attract the executives, and educated people GE needs to do business, they won't move their families here. Our town's idea of family entertainment is a beer and a wet t-shirt contest.

GE needs to go forward. GE has a future to build, and they don't see it here. The union did right, and did all they could do.
Nasty

Canton, OH

#92 Jul 1, 2013
McGurk wrote:
<quoted text>Nobody cares.
It's Erie. Nobody cares anymore.
mind your own

Pittsburgh, PA

#94 Jul 1, 2013
skip the pee pee wrote:
<quoted text>You've pointed to what for me is THE problem. If the bottom line is trying to make as much money as they can for stockholders as the rational end in addition to saving their own jobs, you've hit the nail on the head.
It has nothing to do with the morality of being a truth-teller and deceit and lying is the most certain way to cover your ass and your job.
My point was that they're untrustworthy. Your point is that's what they do. We're both right.
(Really what they do is rationalize their wrongness, but let's not split hairs.)
why would you want to work for an employer that's on trustworthy? I would seek employment elsewhere rather than work for an employer I didn't trust
truth

New Kensington, PA

#96 Jul 2, 2013
ChrisHarman wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine Loser.. You are so excited about it, LEAVE ERIE.. Yes, I am a Union employee because I HAVE to be.. AND, I get alot of benefits in my job because I am an Union member. I'm not ashamed of that. BTW, I am also Republic and A Veteran.. You wanna beat on me because of that too?..
Why did you give up your right to vote on whether we should give up these jobs?
Nasty

Canton, OH

#97 Jul 2, 2013
skip the pee pee wrote:
<quoted text>
Although what you say seems to make sense in a black or white world, it doesn't play that way in the real world. Would you disown any family member or friend if they ever lied to you? If not, why not?
Just because someone lies that doesn't mean you have to sever the relationship if it's beneficial to you. It just means you have to keep an eye on them--often actions speak louder than words--and as for me such people rarely get the benefit of the doubt from me whether they're telling the truth or not.
That's the sad part about dishonesty; you screw yourself.
" Just because someone lies that doesn't mean you have to sever the relationship if it's beneficial to you. " Your statement reveals that you would put up with lies from an employer as long as you get something out of your employer in return. That's a symbiotic relationship where both sides benefit from the other. Your employer provides the paycheck for the work you provide your employer. Simple stuff.
If this relationship stayed the same way forever then most everyone would be satisfied with the symbiosis. However,and this is key, none of us should ever be shocked or completely taken off guard when situations or events rock that arrangement off it's foundation. People should be as aware of this possibility as much as we all know that cigarettes are bad for you. Yet most people, especially those in our neck of the woods bank on their employer always being there and operating within a familiar and never ending comfortfort zone. That's living dangerously, believing in a fairy tale that could and often does turn on a dime. Then what ?
Wise up folks. All your eggs in one basket won't work for a lifetime anymore. Expand your education, your skills. Work to make yourself more marketable to more than one single employer. No one says it's as easy as falling out of bed, it takes thought, it takes effort, it takes diligence. Most people however will expend more energy listing all the reasons to justify doing nothing instead of taking the steps that will lead to greater security for themselves and their families. To disagree with this valuable advice is to remain at risk and at the mercy of your one and only option other than an unemployment check.
Steverino

Elizabeth, PA

#98 Jul 2, 2013
We were back in Erie for the weekend visiting family and it was pretty depressing. Huge portions that have been decaying since the first de-industrialization in the 1980s are worse. The latest GE layofs will be absolutely devastating, since every manufacturing job supports two or three other jobs in the supply chain. So figure2,000 to 3,000 more unemployed in addition to the 1,000 from GE in the next year. These are people who will not be buying houses, not be buying cars, not be buying clothes. It will be a ripple effect.

Most of these people will slip from middle class to the underclass, since they have no formal education beyond high school (41% of Erie residents have only a high school degree and never went to college, an astounding number for any city.) There is no community college to retrain these people. The underclass will get even poorer with no prospects on the horizon. It's sad to see what has happened up there.
Nasty

Canton, OH

#99 Jul 2, 2013
Steverino wrote:
We were back in Erie for the weekend visiting family and it was pretty depressing. Huge portions that have been decaying since the first de-industrialization in the 1980s are worse. The latest GE layofs will be absolutely devastating, since every manufacturing job supports two or three other jobs in the supply chain. So figure2,000 to 3,000 more unemployed in addition to the 1,000 from GE in the next year. These are people who will not be buying houses, not be buying cars, not be buying clothes. It will be a ripple effect.
Most of these people will slip from middle class to the underclass, since they have no formal education beyond high school (41% of Erie residents have only a high school degree and never went to college, an astounding number for any city.) There is no community college to retrain these people. The underclass will get even poorer with no prospects on the horizon. It's sad to see what has happened up there.
It is sad isn't it ? But it's not surprising either. Erie has been on the track to depression for quite some time. It's happened at a pace gradual enough for it's populace to always get used to it by re-tightening their belts, shrug ther shoulders, and plod on toward a darker future. Erie is very much like that frog in the pot. Slowly boiling to death and totally ignorant of the fact.
Erie always plays the victim card. If there's one thing they beat the world at it's playing that card. No one denies unscrupulous acts by certain employers. Those sort of things aren't exclusive to Erie, not by a long shot. But in Erie's mind it's always and only the fault of employers when jobs are lost. No one ever looks at themselves and realizes that maybe, just maybe they've played a role in their misfortunes as well. No sir, that can't be, the victim card is the only rational explanation.
You are correct in pointing out Erie's woeful post high school education. Yet Erie will collectively scoff at that and dig their heels in deeper than ever defending their position. Unfortunately their position is becoming more untendable with each passing day. Will they ever change ? Will they ever learn ? That's very doubtful. I believe the masses here are incapable of that.
So what happens to a place like this ? Same as always, further downward spiralling and "getting used to the next lower level". Erie will huddle together in their misery and fortify one another by placing all blame on the evil employers who at least did provide a means of employment.
Not preparing oneself for a downturn.... ever.....is a shame on you to those who believed their train would run forever. Like in the old fable, the ever mindful ant prepared for the inevitable. The carefree grasshopper took the good times much for granted and eventually payed the price. That old fable has stood the test of time but apparently Erie never took a page from that valuable piece of advice. All that's left to do is blame !
Steverino

Elizabeth, PA

#100 Jul 2, 2013
I have one relative who just retired from GE, so he'll probably be OK. But other family members who in the old days would have worked in a factory and been a part of the middle class are now working part-time and minimum wage jobs - sometimes two jobs and they still can't make enough for rent and to pay for health insurance. That's saying something, since it's dirt cheap to live in Erie. I asked them if they would consider relocating, but they are not young anymore and I think the prospect frightens them. The younger generation has been able to secure gainful employment with good salaries in Pittsburgh and Cleveland, but that means that they are contributing to other cities now - not Erie.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fairview Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lou Aliota and his cats have lawyered up!!! 9 min Sue Weber 8
sara nara the biggest ****in erie (Jun '14) 9 min Nate Higgers 12
News Pat Howard: Failures by DevelopErie leave Erie ... 56 min Catrina 159
No Fourth of July fireworks on Bay (Jun '10) 1 hr Karen 115
saint vincents to lay off up to 100 people 1 hr whalen 1
The failing/falling of Maria Comstock 1 hr patty 15
GE planning to Close or Recreate? 3 hr Honest Co-Worker 12

Fairview Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance