Airline deal could help

Airline deal could help

Posted in the Fairview Forum

CRANK

Erie, PA

#1 Feb 15, 2013
Merger might mean more flights for Erie.

"After reaching a high point in of 187,848 outbound passengers in 2005, that number has fallen steadily, hitting 109,315 departing passengers in 2012."

What Erie really needs is a longer runway!
Ben Dover

Montpelier, OH

#2 Feb 15, 2013
i never understood the need for the long runwayu in erie... since everybody there rides the short plane ...
CRANK

Erie, PA

#3 Feb 15, 2013
It was the same justification as that used for the Convention Center. Build it and they will come.

The Convention Center, we were told, was going to bring countless numbers of out of town convention and conference goers to Erie. We needed a huge hotel, whose operating costs were to be subsidized by the authority, and whose overflow would benefit other area hotels, at the expense money to promote Erie. Didn't happen, and now we are raising the hotel tax to 7% in an attempt to get some money to market Erie. Meanwhile the Convention Center sits there stealing existing local events from other venues like the Bel-Aire, Ambassador, Rainbow Gardens and others.

Yep. Build it and they will come. Money is no object.
Ben Dover

Montpelier, OH

#4 Feb 15, 2013
CRANK wrote:
It was the same justification as that used for the Convention Center. Build it and they will come.
The Convention Center, we were told, was going to bring countless numbers of out of town convention and conference goers to Erie. We needed a huge hotel, whose operating costs were to be subsidized by the authority, and whose overflow would benefit other area hotels, at the expense money to promote Erie. Didn't happen, and now we are raising the hotel tax to 7% in an attempt to get some money to market Erie. Meanwhile the Convention Center sits there stealing existing local events from other venues like the Bel-Aire, Ambassador, Rainbow Gardens and others.
Yep. Build it and they will come. Money is no object.
i think that ' intelligence ' is no object fits better
Ben Dover

Montpelier, OH

#5 Feb 15, 2013
i wouldn't vacation or stay in downtown erie if it was free.
Flight

New Kensington, PA

#6 Feb 15, 2013
The runway expansion was a FAA requirement for larger/ heavier planes to land in Erie.

The cost to fly in/ out of Erie was excessive because planes could not be fully loaded thus full potential could never be achieved.

Erie also lost carriers because of that inconvienance.
Ben Dover

Clyde, OH

#7 Feb 15, 2013
erie needs fatter passengers to fill those planes... feed them and they will come
Road warrior

Dalton, GA

#8 Feb 15, 2013
The FAA also required the longer runway so that there would be an adequate over-run area. The west end of the runway did not have adequate over-run do to the drop off into Asbury Rd.
TSA Groper

Pittsburgh, PA

#9 Feb 15, 2013
The only thing this will do is increase the ticket prices. Anyone that flies US Air knows that the service to PHL is horrible. I hope to see more flights and bigger planes. United flights are more money, but the service and the planes are much better.
CRANK

Erie, PA

#10 Feb 15, 2013
Flight wrote:
The runway expansion was a FAA requirement for larger/ heavier planes to land in Erie.
The cost to fly in/ out of Erie was excessive because planes could not be fully loaded thus full potential could never be achieved.
Erie also lost carriers because of that inconvienance.
Get it right, will you please? The FAA only required 900' of extension. The rest of it was Erie's idea, and paid for with local effort (read that gaming money. Because the FAA didn't require it, they didn't participate in funding that portion.

Anyway, where are the bigger planes, and direct flights to Florida we were promised?(With all those out of town convention and conference attendees?)

The cost to fly in/out of Erie WAS excessive? Evidently you haven't flown recently. It IS excessive, one of the primary reasons departures continue to fall. Leisure travelers go to Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and others fore better rates. Business travel isn't enough to sustain the numbers by itself.
Hugh G Rexion

North Fairfield, OH

#11 Feb 15, 2013
does anybody fly into erie...and for what ?
Butch

Pittsburgh, PA

#12 Feb 15, 2013
I fly out of Erie so I can get felt up by the lesbian congregation at the TSA checkpoint. The blue gloves make me moist!!
Flight

Erie, PA

#13 Feb 15, 2013
CRANK wrote:
<quoted text>
Get it right, will you please? The FAA only required 900' of extension. The rest of it was Erie's idea, and paid for with local effort (read that gaming money. Because the FAA didn't require it, they didn't participate in funding that portion.
Anyway, where are the bigger planes, and direct flights to Florida we were promised?(With all those out of town convention and conference attendees?)
The cost to fly in/out of Erie WAS excessive? Evidently you haven't flown recently. It IS excessive, one of the primary reasons departures continue to fall. Leisure travelers go to Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and others fore better rates. Business travel isn't enough to sustain the numbers by itself.
What part do you not understand Crank?
If you don't like how things are ran, run for office yourself, or feel free to move elsewhere.
Have a great day!
man

Fairview, PA

#14 Feb 15, 2013
the RJ from detroit has performance issues when the runway is snow covered. that CRJ is a crappy plane.
Hugh G Rexion

North Fairfield, OH

#15 Feb 15, 2013
Flight wrote:
<quoted text>What part do you not understand Crank?
If you don't like how things are ran, run for office yourself, or feel free to move elsewhere.
Have a great day!
ran, run, ranned, runned. What's the difference
CRANK

Erie, PA

#16 Feb 15, 2013
Flight wrote:
<quoted text>What part do you not understand Crank?
Have a great day!
I understand perfectly. You're the one that stated the FAA required what was done out there. They only required the first 900' of extension. What part of that do you not understand? Or do you, and you're just making excuses for the status quo.

As for running for office, the subject was the airport, and so what good would that do? The airport is run by an unelected authority.
Flight

Erie, PA

#17 Feb 15, 2013
CRANK wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand perfectly. You're the one that stated the FAA required what was done out there. They only required the first 900' of extension. What part of that do you not understand? Or do you, and you're just making excuses for the status quo.
As for running for office, the subject was the airport, and so what good would that do? The airport is run by an unelected authority.
Please look back and let me know where I quoted the length of the runway.

Yes, the airport is ran by an unelected board. The funds for the airport runway expansion that you brought up are released by county council.
Hugh G Rexion

North Fairfield, OH

#18 Feb 15, 2013
CRANK wrote:
<quoted text>
no... it is RAN by an....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fairview Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
whose the best harassment/sexual harassment law... 51 min done4good 12
ecp cover up!! 59 min Erie Dem Committe... 15
New "40 under 40" List: Who the F are they???? 1 hr Fishdick 41
A call out to ZUGWANK 1 hr Beatles are better 34
This is CNN 1 hr Tucker 14
dog fighting BY UPSTANDING CITIZENS (Aug '16) 6 hr Erie Vice 38
What happened to the Kanzius project??? 7 hr toldya so 41

Fairview Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance