UPDATE: Man struck, killed by train in Fairview Township (VIDEO)

Full story: GoErie.com 46
The engineer of a Norfolk Southern train walks back to the train after talking with Erie County Coroner Lyell Cook and Pennsylvania State Trooper Tracy Dinger on Dutch Road in Fairview Township south of the ... Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jul 08

Meadville, PA

#1 Aug 15, 2008
SAD!! I have to wonder HOW he didn't hear that train... and why the dog didn't alert him if nothing else. Anyone have knowledge of that area? Id there a blind spot or what? My heart goes out to the family.. and my prayers.
John

Chagrin Falls, OH

#2 Aug 15, 2008
RiderKatS wrote:
SAD!! I have to wonder HOW he didn't hear that train... and why the dog didn't alert him if nothing else. Anyone have knowledge of that area? Id there a blind spot or what? My heart goes out to the family.. and my prayers.
Well i live there and there is a trestle there, I don't know if he was on it or not but its pretty long, there are the platforms that are there to stand on if a train comes by but they dont look very sturdy. I don't know if that is what happened but thats what i know.
Becky

Warren, OH

#4 Aug 15, 2008
RiderKatS wrote:
That would be my first question, too -- HOW would you not hear a TRAIN coming up behind you?
But if John is right -- maybe they were on the trestle, and had nowhere to go.
Anonymous

Lorain, OH

#5 Aug 15, 2008
I was waiting to go through at the train tracks, we saw the guy get hit. It was unbelievable. It left us speechless.
bee

Solon, OH

#7 Aug 16, 2008
RiderKatS wrote:
he just got new very powerful headphones and he was listening to music. His dog was very well trained and if the dog was spooked he probably thought his dog was playing.

Meadville, PA

#8 Aug 16, 2008
What the heck is wrong with people listening to an IPOD when they are in a area that you need your hearing in case of a train or danger.. Sad that this happened and sadder still it could of been prevented with just alittle common sense. My heart goes out to the family of this young man in the wake of this senseless tragedy.
lakerman1

Edinboro, PA

#9 Aug 16, 2008
Has it been established that the man was wearing earphones, or is that conjecture?

I do know that some graduate students of mine who are police officers, were against the use of headphones while driving because of the safety issue.
nka

United States

#12 Aug 16, 2008
I knew this boy and he was a joy and had a great sense of humor. My heart goes out to his brother and sister.
Love
aquarius

AOL

#13 Aug 16, 2008
This was my best friends little brother and its completely devasting and horrible. I talked to around 7 last night and she was so upset I could barely understand what she was saying. I have known the family for 16 yrs. The area has a trecel and has claimed other lives. I am still in shock. My condolances to the family if they read this. Sending all my love to them all..
edgy1

Erie, PA

#14 Aug 16, 2008
Get real, people!
Is it really essential to this tragic story to go into disturbing detail concerning the condition of the victim's body following the accident? It is an example of uncaring journalism that this sort of thing is included in a story.
Becky

Warren, OH

#15 Aug 16, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
I was waiting to go through at the train tracks, we saw the guy get hit. It was unbelievable. It left us speechless.
Was he on a trestle, or do you have any idea what might of caused him NOT to move off the tracks? Its' really just incomprehensible how someone would not hear a train -- or feel the vibrations from the oncoming locomotive/cars. I'm sure it was horrific to see this accident happen, and I feel sorry for the train employees, who probably feel terrible that this happened.
Becky

Warren, OH

#16 Aug 16, 2008
edgy1 wrote:
Get real, people!
Is it really essential to this tragic story to go into disturbing detail concerning the condition of the victim's body following the accident? It is an example of uncaring journalism that this sort of thing is included in a story.
Actually, I think the Times was fairly low-key in describing what happened at the scene. And I think the only "disturbing detail" was included in the story as part of the explanation for why the area was closed for so long and what investigators were doing. It's PART of the story, relating why the authorities had to block the area off for several hours -- and I don't think the paper went overboard in laying out the situation for readers. I think they did that as tastefully as possible, under the circumstances. Common sense tells you what the reality was at the scene.
Becky

Warren, OH

#17 Aug 16, 2008
bee wrote:
<quoted text>
he just got new very powerful headphones and he was listening to music. His dog was very well trained and if the dog was spooked he probably thought his dog was playing.
Is that a fact, bee ... or a theory?

Meadville, PA

#18 Aug 16, 2008
lakerman1 wrote:
Has it been established that the man was wearing earphones, or is that conjecture?
I do know that some graduate students of mine who are police officers, were against the use of headphones while driving because of the safety issue.
Either way listening to an IPOD or earphones while driving, walking * unless you are in a safe zone and not on a highway or street , riding a bike is cause for alarm... YOU can't hear if someone yelled a warning, honked or whatever to get your attention. Sad if this was the case for this young man and his dog...
Brandon

Chagrin Falls, OH

#19 Aug 16, 2008
Becky wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, it's fact. I knew him, he always walked with his iPod. His dog(Killer) was really well trained and trusted him, I guess Killer didn't alert him, and he couldn't hear it.

R.I.P Billy.
Roger

Gibsonia, PA

#20 Aug 16, 2008
So sad, but this is what sells papers. My best to the family.
Becky

Warren, OH

#21 Aug 16, 2008
Brandon wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, it's fact. I knew him, he always walked with his iPod. His dog(Killer) was really well trained and trusted him, I guess Killer didn't alert him, and he couldn't hear it.
R.I.P Billy.
That's really sad, and especially difficult when it's someone you know. Very hard for his family and friends. Condolences to you.
bee

Solon, OH

#22 Aug 16, 2008
Becky wrote:
<quoted text>
Its a fact. I know him very well and I most deffinatley know that he IS NOT suicidal!
Becky

Warren, OH

#23 Aug 16, 2008
We watched a movie a while back called "Rails and Ties," starring Kevin Bacon. Was an EXCELLENT movie, and I thought it presented a very real picture of what all parties experience when a train kills somebody. In this case, a mentally-unbalanced and suicidal young mother parks her car on the tracks with her pre-teen son in the vehicle. The kid goes bananas, screaming, freaking, trying to get her to move the car, which she refuses to do. He manages to jump out at the last minute, but the woman is killed -- and the train's engineer (Bacon) is haunted and despondent over the situation, while his employer conducts an investigation to see whether he could have prevented the accident.
It's a very realistic portrayal of how not only the family of the victim is left to deal with the aftermath of a train accident, but the railroad employees as well.
I know this tragedy in Fairview was not a suicide, but the railroad employees who were involved are probably shaken and upset, too.
lakerman1

Edinboro, PA

#24 Aug 16, 2008
Becky, I agree with you.
And to the others who thought the times news should not have been so descriptive, I don't agree. I think they showed restraint.

There is also a public service part of the article, especially for youngsters - if you get hit by a train, you will be busted up into segments. scary thought, but perhaps helpful.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fairview Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clowns at the Sunflower club 22 min knowitall 4
Does Cathedral Prep really care about inner cit... 56 min One point 137
I just took a big dumpiee door.. 1 hr The Real Goat Cheese 3
Ron Wilga and the Millcreek School Board (Jan '14) 1 hr Observer 216
Should Figaski Resign in Shame? 1 hr The Real Goat Cheese 7
Erie Raising taxes 2 hr screwedrepublic 16
Millcreek School District 2 hr Taxpayer 14
Fairview Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web