Comments
1 - 20 of 33 Comments Last updated Wednesday Aug 13
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Joanne Barnes

United States

#1 Jan 21, 2009
Homeless shelters are supposed to help homeless people. Scott's Place in Fairmont does not always assist people. They interview homeless people before they can come into the shelter. If for any reason, they dislike someone, they will refuse entry into the shelter. Shelters of this kind receives hundreds of thousands of dollars per year to assist needy, homeless people and they need to be more compassionate. Many homeless people die in the winter time because they are refused services from Scott's Place or the Clarksburg Mission. There are many homeless people living in Fairmont and Clarksburg during the snow season.

In Clarksburg, police often harrass homeless people when they see them sleeping under the bridge. The bridge near the Clarksburg Mission has many people who sleep there during freezing weather after having been refused entry into the mission or the overflow section of the Clarksburg mission. The mission will usually provide homeless people with blankets if asked, but they do not always provide entry.
eric

United States

#2 Oct 1, 2011
They only refuse those who are intoxicated or high
You might want to check your facts.
Joanne Barnes wrote:
Homeless shelters are supposed to help homeless people. Scott's Place in Fairmont does not always assist people. They interview homeless people before they can come into the shelter. If for any reason, they dislike someone, they will refuse entry into the shelter. Shelters of this kind receives hundreds of thousands of dollars per year to assist needy, homeless people and they need to be more compassionate. Many homeless people die in the winter time because they are refused services from Scott's Place or the Clarksburg Mission. There are many homeless people living in Fairmont and Clarksburg during the snow season.
In Clarksburg, police often harrass homeless people when they see them sleeping under the bridge. The bridge near the Clarksburg Mission has many people who sleep there during freezing weather after having been refused entry into the mission or the overflow section of the Clarksburg mission. The mission will usually provide homeless people with blankets if asked, but they do not always provide entry.
downtown fairmont worker

Morgantown, WV

#3 Oct 1, 2011
There is a homeless man sleeping in the parking garage downtown and his legs are almost purple from diabetes. He has been in the same shorts and t-shirt for weeks, I don't beileve that he is intoxicated, but is probably mentally ill. He says that he is a Vietnam veteran and the VA Hosp. won't help him. Someone needs to intervene to save this man's life. I have asked him if he would go to a hospital willingly and he said NO. He is not in his right mind and needs to be committed for his own good.
nicole

Fairmont, WV

#4 Oct 1, 2011
..I've ran into that man before and asked him and mentioned Scotts place..he absolutely refuses to go there too. He's been to the VA numerous times..I mean they can only help so much. He choses to live that way..he sits out all day long and smokes his cigarettes anyways. You can only help people that want help.
Need to go

Washington, DC

#5 Oct 1, 2011
How can this city of fairmont allow that man.... Set up a bed and keep his personal belonging in that parking garage.... There are are thing to consider public health and safety.... Where is he using the bathroom....I know it smells in that area.
Beavis

Fairmont, WV

#6 Oct 2, 2011
The City of Fairmont is probably glad that somebody finally found a use for that damn garage.
downtown fairmont worker

Morgantown, WV

#7 Oct 2, 2011
nicole wrote:
..I've ran into that man before and asked him and mentioned Scotts place..he absolutely refuses to go there too. He's been to the VA numerous times..I mean they can only help so much. He choses to live that way..he sits out all day long and smokes his cigarettes anyways. You can only help people that want help.
He needs to be mentally evaulated and then treated medically. Most homeless people in our country are mentally ill and don't have the mentality to seek help when they need it. It is up to society to intervene when it is necessary. It would be a travesty to one day find this man dead in the parking garage and then blame him for not trying to help himself.
nicole

Washington, DC

#8 Oct 2, 2011
Once again he may be mentally ill, but he is competent. He knows what's going on, what day it is and you can call anyone but you cannot have someone committed against their own will. Been there, tried that. If someone choses to live that way, theres nothing that can be done.
nicole

Washington, DC

#9 Oct 2, 2011
I feel sorry for people like that, I've tried to help but if someone absolutely refuses and are competent nothing can be done. It's really sad

Since: Oct 11

United States

#10 Oct 3, 2011
Scott Place in Fairmont is a transitional home for those who have been displaced due to an unfortunate, unforeseen circumstance! It IS NOT a flop house for those individuals who DO NOT want to become a self functioning individual in our society! They give shelter to those who need help to rebuild their status in our communities. They ar given shelter with the understanding that they will persue job opportunities as to eventually become self-reliant!! I have worked with Scott Place since their very beginning & I am now organizing a Poker Run for Christmas @ Scott Place to bring Christmas Joy to those unfortunate men, women & children who find it necessary to seek guidance @ this wonderful transitional home!! If you find it in your heart & pocketbook to help with this cause.....PLEASE send comments & possible donation info to: wvliesel@yahoo.com. We need all the help we can get from our community for those in our community are less fortunate than ourselves! Thanx, Lisa Haught & F.O.O.F.(Fraternal Order Of Friends). The event will take place Oct 22-23 @ Paw Paw Fairgrounds! ALL/ANY help will be greatly appreciated!!
Sigmund Freud

Fairmont, WV

#11 Oct 3, 2011
What prevents you from filing mental papers and have a doctor look at him?
downtown fairmont worker wrote:
<quoted text>
He needs to be mentally evaulated and then treated medically. Most homeless people in our country are mentally ill and don't have the mentality to seek help when they need it. It is up to society to intervene when it is necessary. It would be a travesty to one day find this man dead in the parking garage and then blame him for not trying to help himself.
NO WOODY NO

Fairmont, WV

#12 Oct 9, 2011
Someone needs to tranq that geezer nesting in the parking garage and move him to his natural habitat, like Morgantown or Monongah, before he up and bites some sightseer.
hmmm

Fairmont, WV

#13 Oct 9, 2011
NO WOODY NO wrote:
Someone needs to tranq that geezer nesting in the parking garage and move him to his natural habitat, like Morgantown or Monongah, before he up and bites some sightseer.
why monongah i lived there all my life never seen no homeless person i your retarded for saying that thats a small theres nothing there for homeless to depend on like the county seats do dumbass the bigger the town the more homeless there gonna be think about it
Good job

United States

#14 Oct 10, 2011
I herd that Corporal Neal got the man to move out...I think he live in clarksburg now.... Thank you fairmonts finest
out of work right now

Morgantown, WV

#15 Jul 14, 2012
Scott's place told me they were full and turned me away when I had to move out of my apartment. I complained to my landlord about the leaking roof and the problems with the plumbing. I just wanted someplace to shower for a few days until I could figure out what to do. I was willing to sleep in my car if they did not have a bed.
I have never used illegal drugs. I have never abused prescription drugs. I dislike beer and do not drink it. I do not drink hard liquor. When I had a job and could afford it I occasionally had ONE glass of wine with a meal. This occurred once or twice a month at most. When I asked Scott's place for help I had not even had one glass of wine for months. I slept in my car until I found a place to stay for a while. I did not want to be forced to give up my own religious beliefs to stay at the Union Mission.
YoungTimer

Fairmont, WV

#16 Jul 14, 2012
I suppose it depends on each person's values, especially as pertains to the Mission.
YoungTimer

Fairmont, WV

#17 Jul 14, 2012
Also, out-of-work, I'm sorry about your situation. I hope your lot improves. Please let us know if you have any luck.
Dorothy J

Shinnston, WV

#18 Aug 12, 2013
It seems that Jade was fired who worked at Scotts Place Shelter, recently, which is located in Fairmont, WV. I think she was fired because she was reporting homeless families to social services so the children were often picked up and put into foster care. The sad thing about this is often those kids end up taken away from parents who have little money for a decent attorney. When the parents lose their parental rights, they can no longer see their kids. Jade also called Social Security Disability Office to report some of the clients who had applied for disability, and she reported to this office those folks were not disabled. Jade was a very mixed up ho and ruined a lot of lives. I am glad she is gone now. Hopefully, the other workers at the shelter will take better care of the homeless. Most homeless people have mental illness or other issues and need to be treated with respect and kindness. Why can't people help and encourage ona another, offering a compliment from time to time? Compliments does a soul good.
Randy

Brooklyn, NY

#19 Aug 13, 2013
I went to Scott's Place about a year ago... A guy named Darrel or Dean helped me get on my feet. He gave me a ear to bend... And pointed me in the right direction.... I needed someone like him at that time in my life. When I get the chance I plan to repay him. I did not stay there
Mickey Mouse

Fairmont, WV

#20 Aug 13, 2013
Okay, first of all, it's "Scott Place" not "Scott's Place". It's named for the street it's on, not after somebody named Scott. Secondly, it is not meant to be a place to sleep a couple of days and take a shower. That's what the mission is for. Scott Plsce offers full case management and requires minimum residency of seven days. So, no, they cannot take everyone. Third, I don't think Jade was fired because she gave a month's notice and bosses usually don't tell anyone in advance that they are being fired. Scott Place is an organizaton with helpful staff that have gotten many people into stable homes.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fairmont Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 1 hr fitness-guru 57,076
"FREEZ" fairmonts super star? 3 hr Justice 19
"parking left on curb" $90.00 ticket! SPREAD TH... (Jul '13) 21 hr Fed up 37
jeremy marple 23 hr Butthead 5
Marion County 911 Sexual Harassment Suit Fri youpeoplehaveissues 6
new cvs store Thu unknown 1
lopez Thu looking 1
•••
Fairmont Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Fairmont Jobs