5th and 6th grade basketall

Posted in the Fairmont Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Very Concerned

Charleston, WV

#1 Nov 14, 2011
What is with all the late basketball games being scheduled on school nights for the boy's 5th and 6th grade basketball teams? This is too late for these boys to start. I can see it on weekends, but not school nights.

I am not sure about the two who run this league and their organization skills. It costs too much to get into the games, especially when the kids are playing two to three days a week and you have other children that are playing in other sports or leagues. I think the schools need to take back the basketball and have SCHOOL sponsored 5th and 6th grade teams. At least then we would know where the money is going. I also wonder where all the money goes from the admission prices and consession take. Who is overlooking where all the funds go since it is not school sponsored?
AGREE

Clarksburg, WV

#2 Nov 14, 2011
I totally agree! I have never said anything before, thought I was the only one that thinks this isn't right. As far as the price to get in, we can swing it, but I can see how some parents and families would have a hard time. It would be different if there was only one game a week, but sometimes there are two or three games in a week. They try to stick it to you because they know you are not going to NOT come and watch your kid.

Why don't they sell some sort of pass for the season? We have another child as well where we have to pay to get into her games a couple times a week as well as our son's games. I don't know how some of the parents do it. I agree, if we have to pay three times a week to get into these games, I'd rather it go to the school instead of a couple people you know nothing about or what is done with the funds. I say start school 5th and 6th grade basketball teams as well. They already have it for the 7th and 8th grades, just add two more.
Concerned Parent

Fairmont, WV

#3 Nov 14, 2011
There is supposed to be a meeting December 2, 2011 6:00p.m. at 5th Street Gym. I understand that a few parents have contacted Jennifer Parker requesting a meeting because no one knows what's going on with the league and the money parents put into the league to support it. You are not the only ones concened about this league. There are many parents concerned. Come ready to address your concerns.
agree

Clarksburg, WV

#4 Nov 14, 2011
Concerned Parent wrote:
There is supposed to be a meeting December 2, 2011 6:00p.m. at 5th Street Gym. I understand that a few parents have contacted Jennifer Parker requesting a meeting because no one knows what's going on with the league and the money parents put into the league to support it. You are not the only ones concened about this league. There are many parents concerned. Come ready to address your concerns.
Great, thanks for the info. I will also try to get some info from the IRS in reference to record keeping for this type of organization.
INTHEKNOW

Jacksonburg, WV

#5 Nov 14, 2011
You people are all crazy if you think the organizers running this league are making any money. They spend alot of time making sure the kids have a basketball league to play in. I for one appreciate their efforts, being a parent and also Coaching several years in the THE LEAGUE. So go ahead and keep pushing the issue and see where little Johnny and Mary will be playing ball, out in the mean streets of Fairmont, Monongah, Rivesville, Barrackville, Idamay and many other dangerous places.
Concerned

Clarksburg, WV

#6 Nov 14, 2011
Hey INTHEKNOW,
No one said the organizers are making money from the league. Maybe you know where the money is going. BUT it is the parents right to know. Parents are paying registration fees, fees at the door, and concession stand. The league is making bucks...if you consider all the teams in this league and the amount of games each team plays. There are at least 20 - 26 games for each team. So, someone is making off nice. The organizers efforts are appreciated for keeping the league running. But, the communication and organization is at it's worst for the West Side area. Little Johnny and Mary maybe better off playing ball in the streets. They will pick up better skills and sportsmanship than what the organizer/coach is teaching.
who is crazy

Clarksburg, WV

#7 Nov 14, 2011
INTHEKNOW wrote:
You people are all crazy if you think the organizers running this league are making any money. They spend alot of time making sure the kids have a basketball league to play in. I for one appreciate their efforts, being a parent and also Coaching several years in the THE LEAGUE. So go ahead and keep pushing the issue and see where little Johnny and Mary will be playing ball, out in the mean streets of Fairmont, Monongah, Rivesville, Barrackville, Idamay and many other dangerous places.
You can't tell me when there are three nights/days of games a week with multiple games being played, one to two parents paying to get in EACH game, not to mention siblings, grandparents, friends etc.. that there is NO money being made! That isn't counting the consessions and registration fees. Adults are paying $3 and kids $1 to get in each game. That is $21 a week just for me, my wife and daughter, to get in to see our son play every week. We are talking about 5th and 6th grade basketball here. I could clearly understand paying the current price if there was only one game a week, but that isn't the case is it?

I agree, the schools need to take this thing back over. At least the money would be going toward the school system athletics. I also heard a rumor in reference to what some of the consession money might purchase for a specific player. I understand and agree with helping some kids out, but that just goes to show how the money being made could be used in ways that do not benefit the entire league. There has to be someone that oversees all of this, and I don't mean overseen by a ref that can hardly get up and down the court and make correct calls either!
what

Clarksburg, WV

#8 Nov 14, 2011
INTHEKNOW wrote:
"the mean streets of Fairmont, Monongah, Rivesville, Barrackville, Idamay and many other dangerous places." Really, the mean streets? Give me a break! This isn't the bronx. Oh, and we will keep pushing the issue until everyone KNOWS exactly what is going on. And those purple hoop dreams uniforms for ALL the Fairmont teams are real classy. Why do all the other schools get to keep their school names and the WFMS kids can't? I hear it is because WFMS wanted to be included on the money or pull their name. Guess those in charge didn't want to share so the Fairmont kids are now "Hoop Dreams". Whatever.
fgbjh

United States

#9 Nov 14, 2011
Hmmm....refs, gym, uniforms, insurance, concession replenishment.....just a few ideas, but who knows
Full Moon

Fairmont, WV

#10 Nov 15, 2011
Ok...refs are paid...what $20 a game. One family entering into the facility pays for the refs. Concession replenishment is near to nothing considering the mark-up on the goods. This is the first year that the kids have uniforms. So, there are many years from the time the league began to present where money should have accumulated.(IF the money hasn't been touched.) Insurance is covered through the participants registration which is only $12.00 through AAU. BUT WHO KNOWS???
fgbjh

United States

#11 Nov 15, 2011
Full Moon wrote:
Ok...refs are paid...what $20 a game. One family entering into the facility pays for the refs. Concession replenishment is near to nothing considering the mark-up on the goods. This is the first year that the kids have uniforms. So, there are many years from the time the league began to present where money should have accumulated.(IF the money hasn't been touched.) Insurance is covered through the participants registration which is only $12.00 through AAU. BUT WHO KNOWS???
refs are paid approx 75 a game and if this is the first year they've had uniforms then I would absolutely get involved and attend the meetings...they should have record and be able to account for every cent.
Curious

Fairmont, WV

#12 Nov 15, 2011
I know a ref and he said they get paid $20.00 to $30.00 a game. Maybe Brent Biro gets paid $75.00 a game.
you kidding

Bellevue, OH

#13 Nov 15, 2011
fgbjh wrote:
<quoted text>refs are paid approx 75 a game and if this is the first year they've had uniforms then I would absolutely get involved and attend the meetings...they should have record and be able to account for every cent.
You have to be kidding?$75 a game?!!! Most of them can't even get up and down the court and make the correct calls!!! Guess I better get my ref certificate for that money.
you kidding

Bellevue, OH

#14 Nov 15, 2011
Curious wrote:
I know a ref and he said they get paid $20.00 to $30.00 a game. Maybe Brent Biro gets paid $75.00 a game.
That must be his under the table take... LOL All I can say is that they better have some good records or there may be some trouble.
Concerned Parent

Fairmont, WV

#15 Nov 15, 2011
fgbjh wrote:
<quoted text>refs are paid approx 75 a game and if this is the first year they've had uniforms then I would absolutely get involved and attend the meetings...they should have record and be able to account for every cent.
That's one of the issues...there hasn't been any meetings to attend. Information has been concealed!!! That's why the parents are requesting a meeting. I was told that Jennifer Parker said she would have a meeting on December 2nd and it would be advertised in the paper for a few weeks. Have anyone seen a meeting scheduled for Marion County Youth Basketball Association for 4th, 5th, and 6th grade advertised in the newspaper? I only get Sunday papers and I didn't see the meeting notice in there.
WahWahWah

Worthington, WV

#16 Nov 15, 2011
If you dont like the league take your kids somewhere else to play, damn crybabies
NotGoingAnywhere

Clarksburg, WV

#17 Nov 15, 2011
WahWahWah wrote:
If you dont like the league take your kids somewhere else to play, damn crybabies
That's the problem, people love to pack up and run when they don't like something. Those people are known as COWARDS!!! We are standing up for what's right for our children and ourselves in the county in which we live. There's no crying here! We shouldn't have to take our kids to another county to play ball. Marion County citizens have to run to Morgantown and/or Clarksburg for everything. Well...not for this. We just want clarity, communication, and organization within the league. And hopefully, we will get answers and solutions . Parents have complained to themselves for couple of years now how this league have been ran. It's about time for parents to stand up and quit tip toeing around the problem.

By the way, I must ask...have the league ran background checks on the organizers, coaches, and helpers. I've heard that the league have some jailbaits in position.
fgbjh

United States

#18 Nov 15, 2011
Shouldn't u question the background checks and who is working closely with your children before u put them in a league? Also, if u can find another county that doesn't charge entrance into a game, charge for concession, and charge 25-30 registration fee, please let me know. In fact, I went to a 6th grade game Sunday that cost 5$. I would strongly suggest u go to the president of the organization and request your meeting. Find out for sure what all the expenses are to run a league, make them account for the money, and then if your not satisfied with the answers, then is when u should jump up here on topix and run your mouth.....
NotGoingAnywhere

Clarksburg, WV

#19 Nov 15, 2011
As long as I have had my children in sports background checks have been conducted after teams have been chosen because there's always an uncertainty of how many teams a league will need and how many coaches/volunteers are needed. Charge for entrance into a game, concession, and registration fees are not the issues here. It's how they are being used and the organization of things. Now, fgbjh if you knew what was going on instead of trying to push buttons, you will know that parents have requested meetings with the president and these parents were told that there wasn't going to be any meetings. (And hasn't been any meetings) Finally, the president has broken down and stated that she will have a meeting. Many people are unaware of the meeting so this is one of the best ways to let people know what's going on because communication for this league on the West side is slim to none. So maybe you should stop running your mouth on topix until you know what's going on...
you kidding

Brooklyn, NY

#20 Nov 15, 2011
fgbjh wrote:
Shouldn't u question the background checks and who is working closely with your children before u put them in a league? Also, if u can find another county that doesn't charge entrance into a game, charge for concession, and charge 25-30 registration fee, please let me know. In fact, I went to a 6th grade game Sunday that cost 5$. I would strongly suggest u go to the president of the organization and request your meeting. Find out for sure what all the expenses are to run a league, make them account for the money, and then if your not satisfied with the answers, then is when u should jump up here on topix and run your mouth.....
You are obviously a friend or one of the organizers. We are not asking for NO admission fee at all, it should simply be lowered due to the amount of games played during the week or maybe a pass should be sold. See how that works, suggestions to the problems, not you just coming on here and running your mouth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fairmont Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stacey Layne 2 hr Phoney name 2
Does anyone know seneka hawkins 2 hr Phoney name 6
Stealing from the deceased 4 hr Info 8
Barnyard the Monongah "Cop" 8 hr casual observer 11
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 15 hr Water Boi 1,380
skinny white kid in red jeep Jul 21 Captain 5
keyboard warriors Jul 21 Also Casual Obser... 3

Fairmont Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance