New immigration law could mean 'nightmare' for motorists

Aug 21, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Alabama Live

Starting Sept. 1, Alabama's tough new immigration law might cause difficulties for the state's drivers in ways that few were aware, according to licensing officials in several counties.

Comments
1 - 20 of 32 Comments Last updated Sep 7, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
FastFred

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2011

Judged:

Big deal, I don't mind being inconvenienced, I hope they stick to the plan and may be the people preforming license renewals won't sit there and gab with each other and do what they get paid for.

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2011

Judged:

“Alabama, here we go again, stepping backward,” Hastie said.“A survey showed 80 percent of Alabama residents were for the new immigration law, but I bet if they knew it meant they would spend four hours sitting in a license commissioner’s office to renew their tags with no other option, they’d not be for it anymore.”

So they experience some inconvenience, while illegals are prevented from getting licenses which they aren't privy to. Allow more time when renewal time comes up, and sit back and enjoy watching illegals squirm.

“A Reasoned Conviction”

Since: Aug 08

Here was There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2011

Judged:

Typical of the liberal reporter to use Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals Tactics to demean Alabama ... see http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alin...

1- Unlawful Entrants to ANY OTHER NATION on this Earth immediately and swiftly find themselves subject to the legal system of that Country for being Illegal Immigrants. Look at the Hikers who accidentally strayed into Iran for a good example of what happens when someone enters a Country ILLEGALLY, whether they claim 'immigrant' status or not.

2- Just because most Unlawful Entrants to the USofA are poor [by OUR standards, not necessarily by the standards of the Country they're from], does not give them some sort of carte blanche excuse for Illegally Immigrating to the USofA.

3- The USofA has lawful and legal means to immigrate into our Country. IF we did not, there could be an argument for illegally entering the USofA for certain reasons... but we do, so there's not.

4- Churches and Religious Agencies who try to blur the distinction between 'poor' and 'immigration' and 'charity for all, regardless' are DUPLICITOUS [and are using Alinsky's Tactics on those who disagree with them]. They preach obedience to God's Law, but promote breaking the 10 Commandments [10 & 7] by the "poor illegal immigrant." They want the legal authorities to protect their interests but refuse to give Caesar his due by reporting illegal immigrants to those authorities.[And I won't go into the Federal Government's duplicitous behavior regarding 'preferred status' given to illegal aliens at the expense of US Citizens.]

ALABAMA is stepping forward ... doing what is in the best interests of the State and the Nation ... and is in the forefront of legally protecting both. Kudos to Governor Riley and the Legislature!
FastFred

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2011

PROTECTION OF ILLEGAL ALIENS

Last June, Obama’s Department of Justice ordered Colorado to protect the interests of “language minority populations” by strengthening a Court Interpreter Oversight Committee that assures immigrants who don’t speak English get free translators.

The new DOJ mandate also applies to civil cases, which means that U.S. taxpayers will fund interpreting services for foreigners who may stand to make settlement money. Under the agreement, announced this week, the Colorado Judicial Department will also develop “state and local language access plans” that address “both oral interpretation and the translation of vital written documents.”

A revitalized state Court Interpreter Oversight Committee will be expanded to include an attorney, prosecutor, public defender and an “advocate” representing the interests of the “language minority populations,” according to the DOJ’s order.

Interpreters have always been provided in criminal cases and in civil cases in which litigants were indigent. The new DOJ accord mandates free access to “timely and competent language assistance” for all “limited English proficient individuals” in all cases. This won’t come cheap. Colorado’s court system already spends nearly $4 million on 25 full-time interpreters and 300 contractors who provide services in 75 different languages.

In addition, the DOJ expects illegal aliens to be given the same assistance in civil lawsuits they file against American citizens and businesses.

Our tax dollars at work....Thanks Obama
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

I hope that FastFred never goes to Mexico and has to go to one of their courts for a driving offense and can't understand one word that is spoken. Maybe then he will understand the importance of representation that includes interpreting a language into one that the defendant can understand.
FastFred

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Give Me a Break wrote:
I hope that FastFred never goes to Mexico and has to go to one of their courts for a driving offense and can't understand one word that is spoken. Maybe then he will understand the importance of representation that includes interpreting a language into one that the defendant can understand.
You are ignorant, period .
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

FastFred wrote:
<quoted text>You are ignorant, period .
You can always make stupid statements and can never back them up.

Since: Sep 08

Placitas, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Judged:

Give Me a Break wrote:
You over-estimate his intelligence.

Placitas, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Judged:

An interesting story out of red-neck racist cracker country:

THE ALABAMA TOWN MOST CHANGED (AND SAVED) BY IMMIGRATION
{snip} "More Revival Than ‘Invasion’

So if immigrants aren’t stealing jobs, what about schools? With so many kids entering school and not speaking English, surely the system has come crashing down, right?

Actually, quite the opposite. By fifth grade, Latino students are equal to their peers in math, reading, and writing.(By the fifth grade, they’re also speaking with a flawless Southern accent). Russellville boasts one of the highest graduation rates in the state, at 94 percent. And while Latino students are quickly catching up, immigrant parents are proving to be dedicated partners in improving the school system.

“Hispanic parents serve on our advisory committees and take a lot of pride in our school and system,” says George Harper, who is in charge of special education and English learning programs for the district.“They want their kids to find the American dream and think education is essential. We’re getting more support from them than from other parents.”

A recent valedictorian at Russellville High was Latino, and Harper believes he’s planning on becoming a doctor.

“It hasn’t been the nightmare everyone thought it was going to be,” Harper tells me, though it hasn’t been without challenges. Harper and his group of teachers have struggled to work with students with limited English-speaking skills.“We have to work a little harder to get to the same place,” is how he puts it. But the main problem—as is often the case when it comes to education—is funding.“I don’t think we’ve gotten the help that we need from federal and state funding. We’re a whole lot on our own.”

Harper says he’s still in the dark about how the new law might affect the district.“We’re in the business of schooling folks, and we’re gonna’ try to keep doing that,” he promises. He’s especially concerned because immigrants have always considered school—like church—to be a safe place, where the question of immigration status isn’t broached. Still, he’s hopeful that things will sort themselves out.“Our school starts in mid August and the law goes into effect in September. Maybe by next year cooler heads will prevail.”

Just as immigrant parents have brought new energy to the school district, the immigrant community as a whole has thrown a lifeline to the struggling town. Without the influx of new people, Russellville and Franklin County would be shrinking. From 2000 to 2010 the population of the county remained unchanged, but that’s only because the number of Latinos doubled....." [Snip]

Full story: http://colorlines.com/archives/2011/08/dispat...

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Judged:

PlacitasRoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell, everyone who voted for Obama overestimated his!
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Judged:

CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell, everyone who voted for Obama overestimated his!
We'll see how many over-estimated in the next election when he is re-elected.
FastFred

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2011

Give Me a Break wrote:
<quoted text>
We'll see how many over-estimated in the next election when he is re-elected.
That moron P.O.S. is one term and out!
FastFred

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2011

Placitas Rai.....Oh what such a beautiful story....not, all of them that are illegal should be sent back, we owe them nothing, yet they drain our social services dry. It,s not our job to educate feed or house illegal immigrants. And as far as safe places,Church, Schools, the Churches should loose there tax exemption for harboring criminals,schools, every legal American should turn in every illegal, after all our tax money is not to be used for criminals.
FastFred

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2011

PlacitasRoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Your problem is what ? Or just brain dead ?
FastFred

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2011

At least R. Perry has a "back bone", trying to recover the cost of illegal immigrants in his state.http://old.news.yahoo.co m/s/ap/20110826/ap_on_el_pr/us _perry_immigration_costs
FastFred

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2011

Placitas, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2011

Judged:

This story wasn't widely reported. I wasn't even aware of it until I read this http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/us/14immig.... yesterday. It's good to see not all White Alabama preachers are red-neck racist crackers bible thumpers.

FAITH LEADERS CHALLENGE ALABAMA'S IMMIGRATION LAW
"Leaders of the Episcopal, Methodist and Roman Catholic churches in Alabama filed a federal lawsuit on Aug. 1 to stop enforcement of the state's new immigration law, which they say could strike at the core of their ability to worship....

According to the lawsuit, "the bishops have reason to fear that administering of religious sacraments, which are central to the Christian faith, to known undocumented persons may be criminalized under this law."...

"Motivated by God's mandate that the faithful are humbly bound to welcome and care for all people, the leaders of the Episcopal, Methodist and Roman Catholic Churches of Alabama respectfully request this Court to stop the enforcement of Alabama's Anti-Immigration Law," the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit states that it seeks to prevent "irreparable harm" to the 338,000 members of the three churches in Alabama. It calls Alabama's new law "the nation's most merciless anti-immigration legislation."

"If enforced, Alabama's Anti-Immigration Law will make it a crime to follow God's command to be Good Samaritans," according to the lawsuit.

The law, if enforced, will place Alabama church members in the "untenable position of verifying individuals' immigration documentation" before being able to provide things such as food, clothing, shelter and transportation to those in need, according to the lawsuit....
http://classic.lcms.org/pages/rpage.asp...
Kent Faulk, The Birmingham News, Birmingham, Ala.
© 2011 Religion News Service. Used with permission.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2011

Judged:

PlacitasRoy wrote:
This story wasn't widely reported. I wasn't even aware of it until I read
Awareness doesn't seem to be your strong suit RoyBoy. Best to stay shut and though a fool than to post and remove all doubt.

ILLEGALS should NOT have NM drivers licenses!
You do NOT deter crime by coddling criminals!
AZ should be rewarded, not punished!
NM should follow their lead.
Here LEGALLY, Welcome!
Here ILLEGALLY, GTH out!
NO AMNESTY, NOW OR EVER!
FastFred

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2011

Judged:

Placitas Roy wrote:
This story wasn't widely reported. I wasn't even aware of it until I read this http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/us/14immig.... yesterday. It's good to see not all White Alabama preachers are red-neck racist crackers bible thumpers.
FAITH LEADERS CHALLENGE ALABAMA'S IMMIGRATION LAW
"Leaders of the Episcopal, Methodist and Roman Catholic churches in Alabama filed a federal lawsuit on Aug. 1 to stop enforcement of the state's new immigration law, which they say could strike at the core of their ability to worship....
According to the lawsuit, "the bishops have reason to fear that administering of religious sacraments, which are central to the Christian faith, to known undocumented persons may be criminalized under this law."...
"Motivated by God's mandate that the faithful are humbly bound to welcome and care for all people, the leaders of the Episcopal, Methodist and Roman Catholic Churches of Alabama respectfully request this Court to stop the enforcement of Alabama's Anti-Immigration Law," the lawsuit states.
The lawsuit states that it seeks to prevent "irreparable harm" to the 338,000 members of the three churches in Alabama. It calls Alabama's new law "the nation's most merciless anti-immigration legislation."
"If enforced, Alabama's Anti-Immigration Law will make it a crime to follow God's command to be Good Samaritans," according to the lawsuit.
The law, if enforced, will place Alabama church members in the "untenable position of verifying individuals' immigration documentation" before being able to provide things such as food, clothing, shelter and transportation to those in need, according to the lawsuit....
http://classic.lcms.org/pages/rpage.asp...
Kent Faulk, The Birmingham News, Birmingham, Ala.
© 2011 Religion News Service. Used with permission.
Churches should loose there tax exempt status when getting involved in politics, "Separation Between Church and State". You would like to believe the racists part you keep spewing about,but it is no more than a empty claim every one is tired of hearing. We are a strong Nation because we are a Nation of Laws. Immigrants do not have the right to break our laws period,go through the process and come here legally.
FastFred

Foley, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2011

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/immigration/T...

This is nice to, these are the one's that are all ready here, they should be rounded up and shipped out for even suggesting they are going to start a war, I "FOX" you support this to.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fairhope Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Alabama i... (Oct '10) 3 hr TDS 214
Review: Chuck's Barber Shop Aug 26 Mike 2
Request to put sewer line in Baldwin County nei... Aug 26 babalong2 3
target goes gay Aug 25 wondering 3
Baldwin County Sewer Systems' Stealth Candidate (Jun '10) Aug 8 Panamaed 24
wolf creek sandbar Aug 5 timmy 1
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jul '14 Give Him a Brain 84
•••
•••
Fairhope Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Fairhope Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fairhope People Search