Review: Davis & Hafner - Margaret R D...

Review: Davis & Hafner - Margaret R Davis MD

Posted in the Fairfax Forum

anonomous

Fairfax, VA

#1 Jul 11, 2009
I personally work in healthcare so I have an insiders'view. I like Dr. Hafner but her staff is too busy to give me the time of day. The front office is rude and never returns my phone calls.
My pharmacy repeatedly contacted the office for 10 business days in a row to refill my perscription w/o a response. I have been with this office for 2 years and have had enough. Dr. Hafner, you seem to be a great doctor and all...please mind and manage your staff and time. I have changed doctor's.
AMitchell

Washington, DC

#2 Jul 28, 2009
I have been a patient of Carolyn Davis for 9 years. She is a great doctor with a wonderful caring manner. Her staff at her new practice is horrible though. I was overbooked for my first appointment at her new location. I asked when checking in if there was a delay since there were so many people in the waiting room. No response. It took Dr Davis overhearing me speaking to the staff about the delay to actually get seen. Now, I have gotten no reply from the office staff for a prescripion refill either. I will be changing doctors.
Law212

Arlington, VA

#3 Sep 3, 2009
This office is totally incapable of functioning properly. First of all, the place is staffed with 30 people, yet you will never get through to an actual person until 48 hours later. I was notified I had a bladder infection via telephone call and it took me 2 hours, after several hang ups and holding patterns, to get through to them to give them the phone number of a pharmacy of my preference! I had gone in for an annual and did not even know I had an infection. They provdied NO follow up to the infection and then sent me a bill three months later telling me my account was overdue when I had no idea I had a payment pending. By the way, this was my second time trying this doctor out and after a year in between it did not change at all.
Sara

Springfield, VA

#4 Sep 17, 2009
The above all is correct. Just getting someone to talk to you is hard. When you are put on hold--no one picks up even after 5 minutes! I really like my doctor but just to call to make an appt is hard! Plus my coworker goes to the same one as well. They messed up on her pap smear and she had to not only PAY to do another one (when it was their fault) but just not doing it right the first time? Geez. I am considering changing doctors.
Corinne

Reston, VA

#5 Sep 18, 2009
I have been a patient of Dr. Carolyn Davis for 10+ years and followed her to this new practice. Unlike her former office, yearly check-ups are not made in advance (this new office does not appear to have the scheduling technology of the previous office) and you have to make a note to yourself to call. This is where the trouble begins. I have been trying to schedule my annual exam for several days now and no one is answering the phone. At 1:43 pm on 9/18/09, the phone rang and rang until it disconnected itself. I am saddened that Dr Carolyn Davis, a talented, caring and outstanding physician is teamed with a subpar staff. I, too, will look for another doctor - perhaps at her former office.
NAC

Sterling, VA

#6 Dec 1, 2009
I have been attempting to reach the office all am. Are they closed? Not even an answering service to answer a phone? This is a Tuesday, not a holiday....
Unfortunately, this is my 3rd bad experience since joining this group with Dr. Carolyn Davis joined. I love Dr. Davis, and followed her to this practice, but something must change immediately, or I will leave.
The last time I was there, I could not find my insurance card. I told the front desk person I would just pay in cash. She told me I would not be seen w/o the insurance card. I had to explain to her that I am not required to use insurance to be seen by a physician. If they wouldn't take my check, I could pay by credit card.
When leaving, another front desk person approached me.(In the meantime, my spouse had faxed the insurance card.)This person asked if I was still going to pay cash. I told her "no, since the card had been faxed, I would co-pay and let them bill to insurance. That evoked another rude response from the staff.
I reminded the person she should be more considerate of the patients. I have worked in the medical field for many years, and can tell you, this staff will be the downfall of this practice...
However, I must say, these kinds of attitudes really start at the top. The physicians need to work with staff to develop a more friendly, efficient group.
By the way, still no answer..........
SuzieQ

Washington, DC

#7 Jan 21, 2010
Everyone who has posted is correct. The front staff is incredibly rude, never return your phone calls, say they are contacting the pharmacy but never actually do. When I had an abnormal pap it took more effort than necessary to get someone to explain to me in laymen's terms what the deal was, and of course, they were rude about it. I have been seeing Dr. Margaret Davis for 2 years now and she is great-- but just because of the staff I had to change doctors. It is too much trouble.
freethehens

Herndon, VA

#8 Jan 28, 2010
I'm sorry to see I am not the only one who finds the front desk staff to be completely incompetent. I absolutely LOVE Dr. Hafner, but it erodes my confidence in her that she is willing to tolerate, or thinks it is ok to have, staff that leave patients frustrated and underserved. It's hard enough to deal with an illness as it is, but to have to FIGHT for a response to a request or to get some assistance from your own physician's office is inexcusable.

I'm at a loss as to what to do - it has taken me literally years to find a GYN I like, and it pains me to think I have to find a different doctor because of her staff.
Carole

Sandy Point, VA

#9 Feb 5, 2010
Wow! I was referred to Dr. Carolyn Davis and called her office to set up an appointment. After listening to a very lengthy phone message and learning the office was closed for lunch, I phoned again after 1:00. Again, the very lengthy phone instructions. I left my name and a detailed message expecting to receive a call within 24 hours (as stated on the message) to arrange an appointment. Three days later, having had no response, I phoned again. The office was closed due to inclement weather (the blizzard of 2010). Further investigation led me to this site and after reading the above reports, I have decided to find another physician.
Catherine

Alexandria, VA

#10 May 18, 2010
Absolutely correct. I have been trying for days to reach a real person. Even when they say they are open they do not pick up the phone. I am in a job where I cannot answer the phone for a call back. I have tried to call them during my plan and after work and still no one picks up I just tried again and told them how inefficient the system is. Maybe we all need to write notes to the three doctors and let them know how incompetent and inconvenient their staff is, even to the point of driving established patients away.
cathy

Alexandria, VA

#12 Sep 10, 2010
Like most people posting, I had a good experience with the doctor but a horrible experience with the staff. They have messed up multiple times trying to submit my insurance and have turned me over to collections. Very frustrating.
Jessica

Sterling, VA

#13 Nov 2, 2010
I don't necessarily agree with the comments about the staff at Dr. Margaret Davis's office. I'm a minor, and I have my mother take me to my appointments for all the insurance work, and the staff has always been perfectly friendly and helpful, and were the same way a few days ago at my fourth visit.

However, if you are a minor in need of a gynecologist or a mother with a teenage daughter, I would think again about Dr. Davis. She is perfectly competent and generally nice, but I do feel, when I have questions or concerns, that she is rather abrupt and perhaps doesn't take me seriously. I always do my research before I arrive about kinds of contraceptives available and the pros and cons of each, but when I asked her to clarify the hormone levels of Yaz to the levels of progestin found in the IUD, Mirena, her answer was that Mirena had "less" and she didn't address the extent of side effects of Mirena at all. I would much prefer a doctor more specific and more attentive to my questions, even if I am a rather young patient.
susan

Indian Head, MD

#14 Nov 17, 2010
I have been a patient of Dr Hafner's for the last ten years. I do not agree with the comments posted above. I have never had trouble with a competent response from the staff. However, I do not leave messages for the minimum wage receptionist. If I need to schedule an appointment I call back. I only leave messages for the nurse or Dr Hafner and always receive a same day call back......
unhappy patient

Middletown, DE

#15 Feb 14, 2011
I had been a patient with Dr Hafner for years and she is wonderful but her staff is lousy. I too am changing doctors due to the frustration and lack of professionalism with her staff. They never confirm appointments. I would have to leave several messages in order to have a prescription filled and never would get a return call.

What a shame to have such a great doctor with such an incompetent work staff.

But there are so many great doctors in Northern VA that to put up with such a horrible staff, it is better to move on.
unhappy patient

Middletown, DE

#16 Feb 14, 2011
I was a patient of Dr Hafners for years. I think she is a fantastic doctor. But her staff is lacks professionalism.

I decided after all these years of lack of courtsey to confirm appointments, several phone calls to get prescriptions refilled and lack of general courtesy it was time to move on.

There are so many wonderful doctors in NO VA with wonderful professional staffs that I felt I did not need to put up with the headache

The best to Dr Hafner, but her staff is horrible.
BG Jaan

Albany, NY

#17 Feb 17, 2011
I like Dr. Davis. However, I find her staff to be rude, offensive, unprofessional and unhelpful. They never let me finish a sentence when I call for an appointment or to follow up on an issue. Instead, they makes assumptions or judgements without hearing me out. They also seem to make processes more complicated than they need to be. I feel I am given a hard time unnecessarily.
Lindsey

Brandywine, MD

#18 Feb 22, 2011
Agree with every negative comment listed above. I've been going there 4 years and the phone has never once been answered by a real person. I have to leave 6 messages to get a call back just to schedule an appt. They lose test results and act as though it's no big deal. When you are there, they are abrupt and rude. I'm through being treated like this. Next order of business....find a new doctor!!
liz

Gaithersburg, MD

#19 Mar 28, 2011
I have been seeing Dr. Margaret Davis for many years and like her very much.

Last year when I called for my annual pap exam, I had to leave a message and someone finally, after several days the office got back to me.

This year, I have been trying to make an an appointment for the past 2 weeks. Each time no one has answered the phone and I have been disconnected each time. There is not even a recording for me to leave a message.

Tomorrow I am going to the office in person and request all of my medical records. I cannot continue to go to a medical office that has such little concern/respect for its patients.
Danni

Melrose Park, IL

#21 Jun 28, 2012
Staff is horrendous. Getting scripts refilled is near impossible. Front desk is rampant with insensitive, impolite and generally useless staff; they will raise their voice to you and talk down to you with total disregard for respect. I refuse to pay to be treated this way and will be switching doctors.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fairfax Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Corrections Officer 21 hr been there 2
Muslim woman fired for refusing to stop wearing... Mon Katy 2
Review: D J Feathers Aviary (Mar '09) Mon Katy 6
Trump for President, He will win. watch Aug 24 Scotty Steiner 3
Hillary history Aug 24 Unite again 1
News Vienna: Family Fun Jam at Jammin Java Aug 22 Cgl8017 1
News Fairfax Mayor to Resign After Arrest in Meth-fo... Aug 8 Hairy Queen 1

Fairfax Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance