Teens Charged In McLean Attack Appear...

Teens Charged In McLean Attack Appear In Court

There are 74 comments on the WUSA Washington, DC story from Mar 12, 2008, titled Teens Charged In McLean Attack Appear In Court. In it, WUSA Washington, DC reports that:

It is an attack that has rattled the McLean-area community. It happened on Christmas Eve at 4:30 p.m. Four 15- and 16-year-old boys are accused of driving up to three younger boys and punching one so hard over ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WUSA Washington, DC.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
worried adult

Fairfax, VA

#62 Mar 25, 2008
yeah he is a homo!!!
concerned adult

Falls Church, VA

#63 Mar 26, 2008
peggy i think you need to find out the truth
fed up with the mess

United States

#64 Mar 26, 2008
This is a bunch of mess!!!
mclean resident

Fairfax, VA

#65 Mar 26, 2008
i think mr clifford gibbons is very out of line lying to the press in order to get the case on the news and bring attention to the media. i know the boys and it was ONE PUNCH and the "victim" swung first with a skateboard!! and know he is beating up other kids!! i hope he gets whats coming to him and the boys dont get charged at all. they are really good guys and if you knew them you would know that they wouldnt just go around beating kids up the only reason why the kid got hurt is because he swung first and they were just sticking up for their friends. you guys have got totally the wrong story and just listen to what that lying sad man has to say!!!!!
truth

Lorton, VA

#66 Mar 27, 2008
Wow, Peggy has all the facts wrong.
The defendant who was said to have recorded it had a verizon razor phone, which doesn't have a memory card. Peggy, I think you should just give up on your story..you clearly don't have the correct facts and I've heard that the victim actually got in afight over the past weekend. Why don't u do a report on that one?
PF u owe us a follow-up

United States

#67 Apr 4, 2008
Hey Peggy, you've gotten a lot of mileage out of this story so don't you owe us a follow up?
If the victim of the original act has now been arrested (along with others) for pushing another kid down, roughing him up and rubbing dog poop on him and his face don't you think that you should report it? If not on the air how about here? The father seems like a camera fly too anxious to get his name in the paper at this point. Interview him about this latest story. Kids today need to respect themselves and learn to blow off some stupid slight from other moronic kids. However, it is not a talent that is taught or valued in our society. Whatever happened to laughing at other jerky kids? More bring it on mentality.
McLean Mom

Mclean, VA

#68 Apr 11, 2008
I am truly saddened by the ridiculous comments being posted on this forum regarding the unimaginable beating of a young boy by several other boys. Regardless of what you believe about the defendants in this attack, it does not excuse their behavior nor justify the CHOICES that they made to randomly attack someone while holding him down. Who would be next? A jogger? An elderly man? What is going on in the raising of these young boys that they think for a second that it is o.k. to purposely injure another (defenseless) person for sport?!

As a mother of 4 young children, I am personally ecstatic that these boys were CAUGHT BY TIPS FROM THEIR PEERS WHO KNOW BETTER!!!! If our legal system is any good, they will be charged to the full extent of their heinous, imature, and barbaric actions and will hopefully down the road learn from their mistakes. SHAME ON YOU who look to excuse these boys from owning up to their actions, regardless of what you think of the victim or his father.

What they did is not O.K., and the sooner they learn that there are consequences to their choices/actions the better off they will be in the future. The adults in their lives need to step up and help them learn from their sentencing, not point the other finger at their victim. STEP UP!
PF u owe us a follow-up

United States

#69 Apr 12, 2008
Let's get one thing straight here. If one kid threw the punch and 2 others sat in the car are you suggesting that they are all equally culpable? You seem very sure that the "victim" was held down. I'm not so sure that is the case. As to accountability, I completely agree that they should be held accountable. I don't agree that they are equally accountable for what happened. If my kid is with a group of teenagers and one or two do a bone-headed thing do I think they are all equally accountable? No. If one of your 4 kids is with a group where one of the other’s does something wrong is your kid equally accountable? I don't think even you would believe they are. But while we are at it, isn't the action of the victim in the second incident equally guilty of heinous, immature and barbaric acts by roughing up a smaller kid and rubbing poop on that kid? I say shame on all the adults who think that the kids involved in this were all raised by bad parents. It is just as likely that some of these kids have had to "raise" themselves because their parents are absent as it is that some kids were raised by good parents who also GET IT that this type of behavior is horrible. Just because a kid is a jerk doesn’t mean the parents are jerks. Let's put some of the blame on our culture that suggests, and yes even promotes to immature minds that kicking someone's butt for a real or imagined slight is the answer. They do it every day in their words, their written comments in IM’s, etc. I’ve never seen anything like it. In today's society it is a rare kid that will laugh off someone flipping the bird at them. Heck, look at the adults driving their cars and how angry they are on our highways. Bad role models are not the only ones found in these kids’ homes, but the influence on our kids by what they see on the media, TV shows etc. has a direct influence on how they believe they can react. They are IMPULSIVE creatures at this age. They believe that there are few barriers to their behavior. They don’t value much including themselves and especially others. Trust me you will be rolling your eyes wondering where your kids learned what they just disappointed you about. If you have 4 kids – maybe only one will disappoint you on a regular basis –if that is all be grateful. If the original victim was a jerk at another event where someone was being mistreated I’m not going to believe that he was so innocent of setting off the chain of events at the earlier event. If he didn’t learn that maybe he should come to the aid of someone in need then I would say that he learned nothing about what happened to him. Instead he taunted, harassed and harmed the smaller kid. Or he was at least with others that did. Keep in mind - two kids didn't even get out of the car that day in December. I could see one of my kids in that situation and I would be GRATEFUL that they didn't get out of the car. Are they all equally culpable? Not in my book. Your young children will disappoint you one day when they are older by the choices they made because they were immature. Trust me on that. Does their action and choice make you a bad mom?

I’m just sorry you are conveniently ignoring the fact that the victim's later actions is also reflective of what our culture has taught our immature brained kids when it comes to their chance to be the bully despite our best efforts and their own experiences. I can tell you that the parents are not only probably stepping up but they are also probably kneeling down. There is so little compassion and empathy, as demonstrated by adults on this blog, that I surprised that I am still sometimes wondering where our kids got their attitudes from.
dave

Falls Church, VA

#70 May 18, 2008
all you ppl are dumb as shit, get the story straight before you start talkin all this smack
truth

Falls Church, VA

#71 May 18, 2008
the dumb 14 year old kid swung his skateboard first, and out of self defense of his friend the teen punched the kid in the mouth and knocked out 4 teeth. the damn kid went home and told his parents he got jumped.

Since: Feb 08

Herndon, VA

#72 May 19, 2008
PF u owe us a follow-up wrote:
Let's get one thing straight here. If one kid threw the punch and 2 others sat in the car are you suggesting that they are all equally culpable? You seem very sure that the "victim" was held down. I'm not so sure that is the case. As to accountability, I completely agree that they should be held accountable. I don't agree that they are equally accountable for what happened. If my kid is with a group of teenagers and one or two do a bone-headed thing do I think they are all equally accountable? No. If one of your 4 kids is with a group where one of the other’s does something wrong is your kid equally accountable? I don't think even you would believe they are. But while we are at it, isn't the action of the victim in the second incident equally guilty of heinous, immature and barbaric acts by roughing up a smaller kid and rubbing poop on that kid? I say shame on all the adults who think that the kids involved in this were all raised by bad parents. It is just as likely that some of these kids have had to "raise" themselves because their parents are absent as it is that some kids were raised by good parents who also GET IT that this type of behavior is horrible. Just because a kid is a jerk doesn’t mean the parents are jerks. Let's put some of the blame on our culture that suggests, and yes even promotes to immature minds that kicking someone's butt for a real or imagined slight is the answer. They do it every day in their words, their written comments in IM’s, etc. I’ve never seen anything like it. In today's society it is a rare kid that will laugh off someone flipping the bird at them. Heck, look at the adults driving their cars and how angry they are on our highways. Bad role models are not the only ones found in these kids’ homes, but the influence on our kids by what they see on the media, TV shows etc. has a direct influence on how they believe they can react. They are IMPULSIVE creatures at this age. They believe that there are few barriers to their behavior. They don’t value much including themselves and especially others. Trust me you will be rolling your eyes wondering where your kids learned what they just disappointed you about. If you have 4 kids – maybe only one will disappoint you on a regular basis –if that is all be grateful. If the original victim was a jerk at another event where someone was being mistreated I’m not going to believe that he was so innocent of setting off the chain of events at the earlier event. If he didn’t learn that maybe he should come to the aid of someone in need then I would say that he learned nothing about what happened to him. Instead he taunted, harassed and harmed the smaller kid. Or he was at least with others that did. Keep in mind - two kids didn't even get out of the car that day in December. I could see one of my kids in that situation and I would be GRATEFUL that they didn't get out of the car. Are they all equally culpable? Not in my book. Your young children will disappoint you one day when they are older by the choices they made because they were immature. Trust me on that. Does their action and choice make you a bad mom?
I’m just sorry you are conveniently ignoring the fact that the victim's later actions is also reflective of what our culture has taught our immature brained kids when it comes to their chance to be the bully despite our best efforts and their own experiences. I can tell you that the parents are not only probably stepping up but they are also probably kneeling down. There is so little compassion and empathy, as demonstrated by adults on this blog, that I surprised that I am still sometimes wondering where our kids got their attitudes from.
If your kid is with a group of kids and they do something that is illegal or attack someone and they sit by and do nothing then YES! they should be held accountable. Your an idiot!
Tell the truth

United States

#73 May 24, 2008
lise2468 wrote:
<quoted text> If your kid is with a group of kids and they do something that is illegal or attack someone and they sit by and do nothing then YES! they should be held accountable. Your an idiot!
You sound like a relative of the "poor" kid who got his tooth knocked out. Are you?
The story of the beating as told in the courtroom recently is different between what the victim said and what his father claims. So who was there to give the best firsthand account? The kid maybe? But, the dad appears to want to make a bad story more sensational. It gives him more TV time and attention that apparently he has been lacking in his life. If you all don’t think this has more to do about the Dad’s needs than the kids then you haven’t seen the carrying on by the father.
And, how about that the "victim" was part of a group that attacked a smaller younger kid from his school in March? Yeah, I'm an idiot, but I know more about the story than you do....unless you are still living the fantasy story and ignoring the facts of this case and the now public reputation of the “poor” defenseless boy who had his tooth knocked out.
Now if you want to comment on what should be done to the “victim” since he harmed another kid which also reflects what you claim should happen to all that were there that day (whether they had a hand in it or sat in a car or stood by like little whatever’s while their friend was savagely beaten) then I might believe that you are not related to the victim and just carrying on with the story that isn't quite true, but surely a barn burner. Let’s put then all on a lie detector – and see if the truth exists in McLean. So what should happen to the “victim” if he had a hand in what happened in March? Your silence will speak volumes.
It is a shame that the news isn’t printing the story about the “victim” incident in March. Now that would tone this story down a notch and possibly not ruin these kids’ lives. But I am convinced that the newspaper and TV got their mileage out of this story so reporting the FULL story wouldn’t serve their purpose at this point. There was one punch and not a savage beating. No one was ever on the ground. But let’s not let the truth get in the way of Daddy’s story.
Ron northern va

Greenway, VA

#74 May 25, 2008
McLean kids tried as adults...wishful thinking...the best anyone can hope for is they be placed in a juvenile facility until they are 18. Just like a drunk driving conviction, if there is not a death involved, the offender gets a good lawyer and avoiods jail time...
Mom Too

Decatur, GA

#75 Jun 17, 2008
McLean Mom wrote:
I am truly saddened by the ridiculous comments being posted on this forum regarding the unimaginable beating of a young boy by several other boys. Regardless of what you believe about the defendants in this attack, it does not excuse their behavior nor justify the CHOICES that they made to randomly attack someone while holding him down. Who would be next? A jogger? An elderly man? What is going on in the raising of these young boys that they think for a second that it is o.k. to purposely injure another (defenseless) person for sport?!
As a mother of 4 young children, I am personally ecstatic that these boys were CAUGHT BY TIPS FROM THEIR PEERS WHO KNOW BETTER!!!! If our legal system is any good, they will be charged to the full extent of their heinous, imature, and barbaric actions and will hopefully down the road learn from their mistakes. SHAME ON YOU who look to excuse these boys from owning up to their actions, regardless of what you think of the victim or his father.
What they did is not O.K., and the sooner they learn that there are consequences to their choices/actions the better off they will be in the future. The adults in their lives need to step up and help them learn from their sentencing, not point the other finger at their victim. STEP UP!
It may not have been OK - BUT, how do you quantify people being raped, killed, murdered, etc., with kids getting in a fight! You must be a mother who feels that their kids are perfect - NO ONE IS!! There was no pre-emptive strike here; plus, maybe the father paid off the parents of the kid that he beat up!! ugh!!! what do you think about that. Try looking at some people who have it a lot worse than you do - u are obviously looking at getting some money 'cause the father is walking around with a folder marked "expenses paid", "civil suit"...so all he wants to do is ruin a couple of kids lives because he kid got in a fight with someone. Why don't you look up his father on the internet....lots of interesting stuff - particularly for a father that's using his kid to make some "air time" for his lobbying firm!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fairfax Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vienna Music Forum (Nov '12) Jul 15 Musikologist 15
Good hair salon Jul 12 Searching 1
Tim Kaine = NWO CRIMINAL Jul 12 nah 3
face sitting, smothering, humiliation, lovers...! (Jun '11) Jul 8 Anonymous 11
Fairfax Music Thread (Dec '13) Jun '16 Musikologist 9
Chantilly Music Thread May '16 Musikologist 1
Review: Betty's Azalea Ranch (Oct '08) May '16 Mary 21

Fairfax Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance