sos for high school students

sos for high school students

Posted in the Fairfax Forum

Tarkio, MO

#1 Sep 3, 2009
I am a parent of a student in FHS and got the paper yesterday about the class they want to have about suicide. I think its crazy...and i also think it crosses the line from parenting and education
Get Real

Tarkio, MO

#2 Sep 4, 2009
Get real, you are obviously NOT thinking clearly here. This class is about PREVENTING suicides..not teaching them how to do it ffs. Now ask yourself, have YOU ever talked to ANY child about suicide? Or asked ANY child how they were feeling about themselves or if they knew of anyone that felt like peer pressure was getting to much for them to bear?
My guess here is NO. Most parents just assume that their child will talk to them about important things, when in reality parents actually know very little about their teenagers lives aside from the obvious. I know of one girl aged 16 in Fairfax that has already attempted suicide, and has recently texted that she feels like life is getting to be too much for her yet again!(I saw this text on my teens phone and immediately contacted her parents, much to the anger of my own teen for snitching on her!) I believe we NEED this type of class to help save ANY teen who is even in the slightest contemplating suicide. When you are a teen you do not have the ability to see that life will improve and change many many times over the coming years, all you can see is the here and now. Please reconsider your stance on this suicide prevention calls, the child it saves may very well be your own!
dolphin gal

Tarkio, MO

#3 Sep 20, 2009
alright get real. you our on top of it. And I believe you are absolutely correct.

Tarkio, MO

#4 Oct 18, 2009
I agree that we should have a class about the signs and how to prevent it, however I don't think OUR kids should be given a test to tell if they're more likely to do it. That's just like saying to a 10 year old...we're going to give you a test now that will say whether or not you're going to try to rape someone during your lifetime.

Truth is people, we can teach our kids how to do many things, the school can try to teach what we can't or don't have time for, but when it comes to figuring it out, I think the parents should have the say so.

As for that 16 yo in Fairfax that attempted it, I'll put it the same way I think about everyone who tries it, it's because she wasn't getting enough people feeling sorry for whatever problem she was having at the time so she went to get attention.
Rusty Nail

Tarkio, MO

#5 Oct 20, 2009
I look at it the same way I look at them talking to kids about drugs. IT's WRONG! I had NEVER heard of drugs til they started that crap in school! All it did was make me want to try them after they kept telling us they make you high and feel good! You want signs of suicide? PAY ATTENTION to your kids!! Help your kids with problems!! Talk to them! Get involved! and most of all, Love them and let them know they can come to you ANYTIME for any reason! Just listen to them for once.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fairfax Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tarkio Topix News... or more like Tarkio Topix ... (Jun '10) Oct 19 Terry Eaton 20
Joesting for Commissioner? Oct 19 Josh Smith 1
Rock Port Needs Adult Video Store Sep 29 Zack Kroll 1
Football Folly Sep '16 Just Sayin 4
Cowards (May '06) Sep '16 Ernest T 25
atchison county deputiy (Jun '10) Jul '16 susie 4
Road Maintenace Atchison Co. (Apr '11) Jul '16 Jim 10

Fairfax Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fairfax Mortgages