Which is better Advance Auto Parts or...
Joe

United States

#43 Oct 9, 2012
Get in the zone auto zone better prices better parts better people autozone rocks !!!!!
AZManager

Peoria, AZ

#44 Oct 18, 2012
I've read through all these posts and am curious to see the opinions of anyone that has moved all over the country. I grew up in Ohio, lived most of my adult life in North Carolina, ran an AutoZone in Maryland, and now one here in Arizona. What you will notice is that O'Reilly Autoparts doesn't exist on the east coast, at all. None in the state of Maryland, and are sporadically placed elsewhere. They recently bought Checker Autoparts, but only slapped a fresh coat of paint on the joint and gave their employees green polo shirts. As for Advanced Auto Parts, they are in great number all along the east coast and mid-west, but don't exist here in Arizona, save for one or two. The bottom line is, I've shopped at AutoZone my entire life, and I now work for them. I now see the inner workings and I can completely refute any claims that AutoZone is not a growing and expanding company. We are a fortune 500 company and have been for nearly 20 years, publicly traded on the market for just as long. We have over 5000 stores in the company, including over 100 stores in Mexico, and recently in Alaska. Yes, Alaska. Soon we will expand to the European and South American markets as well. As far as customer service, well you get what you get. People are people, plain and simple. Some are great and know their stuff, others are just assholes. It happens. I can tell you that AutoZone takes customer satisfaction very seriously and will not hesitate to "promote" an employee to customer if they can't provide the service that is expected from them. As far as parts go, an earlier post had it correct. All auto part retailers get their parts from pretty much the same places, with few variances here and there. Batteries are all made by Johnson Controls, that is a true statement. Whether it is Interstate, Die Hard, Duralast, Optima... same company. Most of your cast metal products, like suspension parts and pumps are made overseas, or in Mexico. That's just a fact. About the only part I know that we stock that is made here in the US, is our radiators, and that's because most of the radiators in the US are made right here in Phoenix, Arizona. Brakes, China, belts, Malaysia, gas caps, Israel... Now, I've listed the pros of AutoZone, let me let you in on the cons. Depending on the location, AutoZone only stocks fast moving parts. Meaning we can usually count on having in stock front brake pads for a 2001 Chevy Malibu, because the geniuses at GM also used that same part number on the Malibu for several years as well as the Grand Am, Grand Prix, Cavalier, etc. So it stands to reason that the demand for those parts are high, and would be on the shelf at all times. Now, if you're looking for front wheel bearing grease seals for a 57 Vette, then NAPA is your store. Napa seems to be that store that got stuck in time. They carry in stock alot of parts for the odd vehicle or classic car. It's usually one really old white haired fellow behind the desk and he knows what you need even before you get in the door. Seems to be just the way it is. AutoZone employs people based on customer service skills, not necessarily automotive knowledge. Me, I'm ASE certified, and have been for a while and have also worked on several, as well as built them, race cars. I seem to have left out Advanced Auto Parts. This company has been around for a while, but can't seem to put all the pieces in order to be the number one parts retailer. They, from what I've seen, seem to keep watching what AutoZone does and copies it, verbatim.
AZManager

Peoria, AZ

#45 Oct 18, 2012
AutoZone started online ordering and being able to pick up merchandise in the store, and soon after Advanced followed suit. Our inventory management procedures, identical. The main difference in availability of parts is AutoZone works together as one unit. If one store has a part, I can look it up and see if they actually have it from my computer screen in my store, call them and put it on hold for the customer to pick up or have it brought to my store, the same day. If no store in the area has the part, then it's a two day turnaround, shipped via FedEx, save for the weekends, then three days. MAX! We sell whole engines, transmissions, rebuild kits for both, pretty much everything except for tires and body parts. And even that can be bent, as I have gotten a set of tires for a customer. Hey, it's all about the service and saying YES to the customer.
AZManager

Peoria, AZ

#46 Oct 18, 2012
And, Merlin82, you should really CHECK your facts. The "patent" you claim that Advanced Auto has on their batteries that are made by Johnson Controls, FALSE. The patent belongs to AutoZone. Patent filed and approved in May of 2004. As far as you saying that "MOOG" would never be on an AutoZone shelf... news for you pal, we carry Federal Mogul, Moog, Felpro, Mellings, Beck Arnly (though inferior to Moog), Borg Warner (in some stores). We carry name brand parts. Our warranty on most things is the same as Advanced, but good luck finding one having 1700 less stores than AutoZone. Like I said, only one or two of them in the entire state of Arizona. I have 86 stores just in the Phoenix region. So, facts you claim to have... well then I'll change my name to SNOPES, because your story just doesn't check out.
spartan

Louisville, KY

#47 Oct 19, 2012
AZManager wrote:
And, Merlin82, you should really CHECK your facts. The "patent" you claim that Advanced Auto has on their batteries that are made by Johnson Controls, FALSE. The patent belongs to AutoZone. Patent filed and approved in May of 2004. As far as you saying that "MOOG" would never be on an AutoZone shelf... news for you pal, we carry Federal Mogul, Moog, Felpro, Mellings, Beck Arnly (though inferior to Moog), Borg Warner (in some stores). We carry name brand parts. Our warranty on most things is the same as Advanced, but good luck finding one having 1700 less stores than AutoZone. Like I said, only one or two of them in the entire state of Arizona. I have 86 stores just in the Phoenix region. So, facts you claim to have... well then I'll change my name to SNOPES, because your story just doesn't check out.
Partner,I do appreciate your enthusiasm.I'm almost inclined to butt heads with you a little bit because I'm quite sure you have what it takes to keep me interested in this topic for a few days.However,I only want to share an opinion about all of your witty and very informative presentations.As a one time frequent customer of both stores,I did find myself showing loyalty to Auto Zone out of nothing more than familiarity and habit.However,Auto Zone salesmen (not the Shepherdsville store) who attempted to sell me the highest grade,highest warranty and most expensive replacement parts,(every time even when bargain brand was in stock),,,is the reason that I now pay loyalty to Advance.And no,I'm not one-hundred percent certain that the same conglomerate don't own own both chains and not even real sure that the guys at Advance won't start playing me for a moron either,but for now,,,changing stores is my only remedy.My point is,ninety-seven percent of the people who carry a product out of an auto-parts store,,know absolutely nothing about it other than it's what they need,,,and they care about it even less than that.So it's my opinion,that none of your speech about quality is really necessary.If you want customers to appreciate spending money with you,,,put a chain on your guys.People don't need a ninety dollar rotor for a thirty-year old truck.And no one needs split-fire spark plugs,,,for anything.
Proud american

Louisville, KY

#48 Oct 21, 2012
What a narrow minded biggot
O Reilly wrote:
O'Reilly is the best place to buy auto parts, by far. If you buy your parts at Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Parts, all your friends are gonna think you are gay. Everybody knows that only a bunch of queermo sexuals buy parts from these two, rainbow bumpersticker selling, fast orange doo doo hole smelling, gay pride yelling, KY Anal Lube Jellin, s_hit holes. Besides, I hear that all their parts are made over in China, by a bunch of eight year old sweat shop workers wearing eye patches and missing fingers working twenty hours a day, 365 days a year. Don't support Communism folks. It just ain't American. Come to the store that is American as Apple Pie and is straight as John Wayne. With remarkable quality, friendly service, and proven dependability you can count on and trust when you need it most. Ohh Ohh Ohh O'Reilly........ O'Reilly Auto Parts..........Yeah!!!!!!!
pedro

Winston Salem, NC

#49 Jan 22, 2013
i will go to the dealer

“GAME OVER”

Since: Jan 13

#50 Jan 22, 2013
its all a matter of opinion personally i prefer to shop online GAME OVER
a guy

United States

#51 Feb 28, 2013
Walmarts of Auto Parts wrote:
Your all not seeing the big picture here, both Autozone and Advance are simply selling what ever they can to who ever they can so they can to keep their doors open. Quality isnt an issue as much as bottom line to keep the shareholders happy. Do you think the people that work there care about you? Do you feel they are treated as human beings by those companies? 90% of the crap is made overseas and quality isnt as much of a concern as price and thats the only reason most people shop at those places is to save money. So beware of what you buy, educate yourself and stop complaining, its all crap, deal with it. And Yes, O'Reillys is the better choice
i have worked at them all and what you say is 1000 percent true

Since: Jul 12

Louisville, KY

#52 Feb 28, 2013
O Reilly wrote:
O'Reilly is the best place to buy auto parts, by far. If you buy your parts at Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Parts, all your friends are gonna think you are gay. Everybody knows that only a bunch of queermo sexuals buy parts from these two, rainbow bumpersticker selling, fast orange doo doo hole smelling, gay pride yelling, KY Anal Lube Jellin, s_hit holes. Besides, I hear that all their parts are made over in China, by a bunch of eight year old sweat shop workers wearing eye patches and missing fingers working twenty hours a day, 365 days a year. Don't support Communism folks. It just ain't American. Come to the store that is American as Apple Pie and is straight as John Wayne. With remarkable quality, friendly service, and proven dependability you can count on and trust when you need it most. Ohh Ohh Ohh O'Reilly........ O'Reilly Auto Parts..........Yeah!!!!!!!
How do you really feel?

Since: Jul 12

Louisville, KY

#53 Feb 28, 2013
There seem to be lot of people from around the country on a thread that was about a Shepherdsville
auto part?
I buy a lot from the dealer but some parts are fine no matter where you buy them.
Kraig

Covington, KY

#54 Feb 28, 2013
Matt wrote:
<quoted text> Dude you are so wrong in a million and one ways. Do your self a favor and do some research before you go off running your mouth you idiot. And no I don't work for ''Advanced'' it's actually Advance. I'm employeed at Autozone
You are right to stand up for your employer.
Big T

Palo Alto, CA

#55 Mar 1, 2013
Bumper Ta Bumper. Best parts in Bullitt Co.
When

Newport, KY

#56 Mar 2, 2013
Just Us wrote:
I say Advance, They have better prices and better parts. The ZONE has more pretty parts,you Know LOTT'S of stick on crome,sticker,and tint. The people at advance are friendly and very helpful. The zone's people act like they are doing you a favor just waiting on you! But you know that's (Just Us)!
Discount Auto is the best
Derrick

Yulee, FL

#57 Apr 10, 2013
I have shopped with all of these a lot while building cars and they all have their ups and downs.

Advance Auto parts is typically the cheapest when you shop online and get 20+% off. Maybe its just me but it seems like all the AAPs I go to, the employees dont know much about vehicles.

Autozone has the best return policy.

Carquest has high quality parts and rare ones you may not find elsewhere. I preferred this location only due to the local employees.

O'Reilly's has good deals and is a good alternative to Autozone and AAP

I hardly buy any auto parts at Napa even though they are within walking distance because of their return policy.
Jon

Norcross, GA

#58 Jun 9, 2013
O Reilly wrote:
O'Reilly is the best place to buy auto parts, by far. If you buy your parts at Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Parts, all your friends are gonna think you are gay. Everybody knows that only a bunch of queermo sexuals buy parts from these two, rainbow bumpersticker selling, fast orange doo doo hole smelling, gay pride yelling, KY Anal Lube Jellin, s_hit holes. Besides, I hear that all their parts are made over in China, by a bunch of eight year old sweat shop workers wearing eye patches and missing fingers working twenty hours a day, 365 days a year. Don't support Communism folks. It just ain't American. Come to the store that is American as Apple Pie and is straight as John Wayne. With remarkable quality, friendly service, and proven dependability you can count on and trust when you need it most. Ohh Ohh Ohh O'Reilly........ O'Reilly Auto Parts..........Yeah!!!!!!!
WOW, now her is a guy who knows what he is talking about. HOW could anybody have any doubts about his IQ !!!!
moe

United States

#59 Jun 12, 2013
So nothings wrong with oriely
Advaance Auto RVP

Roanoke, VA

#60 Jul 1, 2013
Merlin82 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude that's impossible. Advance Auto Parts Was opened and operated 30 years before Autozone. Get your shit out of the gutter, you sound like an AZ employee.Duralast is az brand and is all indonesia and china parts, it has nothing to do with Moog. Moog is a top american favorite and only advance autoparts, napa and oreillys carry them, because they are just 3 best auto stores around. secondly Advance Autoparts batteries are AMERICAN MADE, also by johnson controls. Theres only 3 large battery companies in world anyways. Autozone batteries are old technology, advance has patent technology that motorcraft, exide dont even have. Your pathetic and sounds like you got a mixed bag of thoughts that don't make sense there buddy. Advance also has better prices, more american made parts, quality parts, cheaper prices than AZ, matches all the prices, gives military and senior discounts, and the internet page has biggest savings in world for autoparts other than ebay. If you buy anything from az online you have to spend a $100 just to get a few bucks off. Advance will take off $30 off of $75 purchases with code BIG30.$50 OFF $150 purchase with code VISA. They are now doing a 20% off any order no minimum. So don't boast about autozone cause you work for them, your working for the wrong people, Advance Autoparts along with Oreillys/murrays and Napa have always been an American Traditional Parts Store. Autozone is the walmart of car parts. Pathetic. Your sales are higher in revenue because you cheat people and raise prices and your return policy sucks. Advance is more for the family relationship that nearly all customers like.
ADVANCE AUTOPARTS ALL THE WAY!
Sir you are an idiot as both are made byJCI
Lidio Ronda-Pagan

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#61 Jul 9, 2013
I haave been to advance auto and ask if the have the 10% courtesy discount that AutoZone give to military ID bearing customers,the answer have been NO!
Master tech

Elizabethtown, KY

#62 Jul 9, 2013
It's the same parts in different boxes as far as employees go auto zoners can pi$$ off a preacher

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fairdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump for President, He will win. watch 5 min Earl 170
News Publishers Printing to close Shepherdsville pla... 16 min Shelby 9
Where are all the street walkers and hookers in... (Nov '15) 40 min Mjones 24
Bully county, bully syndrome! 1 hr spartan 4
Congrats Govonor Bevins 7 hr Andrew 1
crystal hayden 9 hr horndogsinthemood 9
Need a date that is strapon friendly or transge... 14 hr Straponaddict 1

Fairdale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fairdale Mortgages