Layed Off Home Depot employee ends up homeless, many just one paycheck away from same situation

Feb 14, 2009 | Posted by: Spanish Mike Alvarez | Full story: www.sacbee.com

How am I supposed to live like this?" she asked. Van Slate's downward spiral began in November, when she lost her job at Home Depot. She was living in a Citrus Heights duplex, but couldn't make the $850 rent when her 65-year-old roommate died of cancer in December. Collecting just $105 in unemployment every two weeks, she said she was forced to live in her car after being evicted earlier this month. Van Slate had just stopped in to pick up her check which wasn't available yet on Friday afternoon when a Sacramento police officer stopped her on 16th Street at Thornton Avenue. Her registration was expired, and she had no proof of insurance. So the officer had her car towed. Desperate, Van Slate said she begged him to reconsider. "I was on my knees," she said. Her registration had been expired for at least six months, which is the threshold for an officer to legally tow a car, said Sgt. Norm Leong, Sacramento Police Department spokesman.
Comments
21 - 40 of 41 Comments Last updated May 17, 2013

Since: Oct 08

Newburyport, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

SarahMoon wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand that there will always be class differences here. People that are content to sit on their butts and collect funds from the government for indefinite periods of time. People that do not want to be (or ever become) contributing members of society. It ticks me off that my taxes pay for them to do that. I'd like nothing more than to be able to be a stay at home Mom for my kids and husband. I have too much self respect and know that I as a nurse have something valuable to contribute to the world around me. I am in total agreement that education is key for everybody. What sickens me is the educated, tax paying citizens that are being laid off from prime postions and losing everything that they've worked for in their lives...like the kids college nest eggs in an attempt to avoid foreclosure, etc. I have high hopes with Obama. I have to otherwise it's too easy to become discouraged.
I can tell you are well educated and your blog is very well stated. Fortunately education for my children are behind my wife and I. Fortunately, she is still teaching and has no intent on retiring yet but if it came to having a younger (less experienced) teacher keep his/her job then she would retire tomorrow since she has been in teaching for over 30 years. I took advantage of a great buy-out/early retirement 5 years ago. We're both under 65 years old. As a matter of law, every child must have the opportunity for a public education but unfortunately, there are many in poorer areas that for one reason or another cannot attend or stay in school. It's a black mark on our society. Did anyone watch PBS series on children in Appalachia? Our society is doing an injustice to these people but I'm hoping those in charge of our government is aware of this. Again, thank you for your honest remarks.

Newburyport, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

SarahMoon wrote:
I'm hopeful that Obama will do some good work. I'm heartbroken that it won't come in time to help so many Americans that are in desperate need of same. Hubby and I both have family that we could stay with if something horrible were to happen to us financially, but so many people don't. Their only option is their vehicle if they own one...or a card board box under a bridge if they don't. I'm talking about people that are hard working, tax paying, law abiding citizens, too. It's just wrong.
I agree. Family comes first and anything to survive. It's unfortunately going to be a long haul.

Newburyport, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

Judged:

HappyD wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said. I think that 'ex store mgr' has listened to Rush Limbaugh's faulty drivel a little too much. People too often make statements without looking at the facts first.
That name Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, and O'brien brings chills up and down my spine!!

“What goes around comes around”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

Judged:

Silverado wrote:
<quoted text>
That name Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, and O'brien brings chills up and down my spine!!
Rush Limbaugh and his spewing makes me nauseous.
HappyD

Whitehouse, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

Judged:

SarahMoon wrote:
<quoted text>
Rush Limbaugh and his spewing makes me nauseous.
You've got that right!! Although, I think that the many people who are willing to take everything he says as gospel, without even checking to see if what he spews is true, make me even more nauseous - a a bit frightened.

“What goes around comes around”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

HappyD wrote:
<quoted text>
You've got that right!! Although, I think that the many people who are willing to take everything he says as gospel, without even checking to see if what he spews is true, make me even more nauseous - a a bit frightened.
Ha! I was working from home today and I live on a hill. I ran out into the garage to grab something and felt the hairs on my neck stand up as I could hear Limbaugh's voice...the Comcast cable guy was working acorss the street, had the doors to his van wide open with Rush spewing into the beautiful morning. Now, I'm normally a non confrontational sort, but as my 43rd birthday is fast approaching I've been a bit out of *sorts* of late...or so my kids keep telling me...anyway...I marched my self down the driveway and across the street...sporting a fuzzy pink robe and slippers...and yelled at the punk to "turn that drivel off before I send my sons over to turn it off for ya!" The kid turned around, looked at all 5 feet of me and said "yes, Ma'am." Off it went. I'm not listening to that idiot in MY neighborhood. Harrummph.

Newburyport, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

SarahMoon wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha! I was working from home today and I live on a hill. I ran out into the garage to grab something and felt the hairs on my neck stand up as I could hear Limbaugh's voice...the Comcast cable guy was working acorss the street, had the doors to his van wide open with Rush spewing into the beautiful morning. Now, I'm normally a non confrontational sort, but as my 43rd birthday is fast approaching I've been a bit out of *sorts* of late...or so my kids keep telling me...anyway...I marched my self down the driveway and across the street...sporting a fuzzy pink robe and slippers...and yelled at the punk to "turn that drivel off before I send my sons over to turn it off for ya!" The kid turned around, looked at all 5 feet of me and said "yes, Ma'am." Off it went. I'm not listening to that idiot in MY neighborhood. Harrummph.
Ahhh, to be 43 again!:)
Orange Blooded

Land O Lakes, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

Judged:

Home Depot ( Frank Blake ) is doing everything they can stay true to one of our core values by taking care of our people. Even when that means laying some of them off. All employees layed off will received 60 days pay and $3000 to HELP with insurance costs. Granted that's not a whole lot when you just found out you lost your job and noboby esle is hiring right now. But that is a lot more then other companies are willing to do.
and there you are

Reynoldsville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

Orange Blooded wrote:
Home Depot ( Frank Blake ) is doing everything they can stay true to one of our core values by taking care of our people. Even when that means laying some of them off. All employees layed off will received 60 days pay and $3000 to HELP with insurance costs. Granted that's not a whole lot when you just found out you lost your job and noboby esle is hiring right now. But that is a lot more then other companies are willing to do.
Thanks for the facts. So many people jump to conclusions.
By the way, our presidents aren't responsible for our personal choices.

Newburyport, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

Baba Booey wrote:
<quoted text>
LMFAO!!!
These people on OBB are smoking crack now.
LOL
ex store mgr

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

Judged:

just to set the record straight, you people who come to your conclusions of who you think i listen to have got it all wrong (again) i don't listen to rush...i just believe in you get what you work for and just because i am successful doesn't mean that i should be required to pay for someone elses welfare. that should be my choice if i see fit but now that the welfare laden government stimulus plan has been signed into law by the shepherd of all of you blind sheep, i guess i'll have to.
Ex 12 year employee

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

Judged:

{i just believe in you get what you work for.}

A 2% raise at the end of the Year? That's not even the cost of living.
HappyD

Toledo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

SarahMoon wrote:
<quoted text>
Good job!
ex store mgr

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

Baba Booey wrote:
<quoted text>
This thread is about a former HD employee and the aftermath of Frank Blake's layoffs. Its not about politics.
So show a little compassion. Look at the poor young woman in the pic. A few weeks ago she was serving Home Depot customers. She was a "valued associate", then whammo....
Living in an alley. Huddled with a few belongings on cold damp pavement.
SHOW SOME DAMN COMPASSION WILL YOU???!!!
(PS They wouldn't even give her a shopping cart to haul her stuff around)
it IS about politics. politics and the economy is what put us in this position and as far as compassion...at first glance i do feel sorry for this lady but i don't know the whole story so i am not going to jump to conclusions. you frank blake haters just don't get that it is business and sometimes you have to cut payroll to be profitable. lastly home depot doesn't owe her a shopping cart to haul her stuff around so why don't you make better use of your time and go hug a tree or save a whale somewhere!!!

“A New Beginning”

Since: Jun 08

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

Ex 12 year employee wrote:
{i just believe in you get what you work for.}
A 2% raise at the end of the Year? That's not even the cost of living.
IF you were lucky enough to be getting a raise at all this year ... Most places around here are "freezing" salaries and not giving them. Quite a few place over in the Shenandoah Valley have actually given pay CUTS.......
Whatthehuh

Lafayette, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

Judged:

Sounds like this lady was already in trouble well before she was laid off.

For the people who have gripes with Frank Blake, I don't quite get it. It is a damned if you do damned if you don't type mentality. He makes a decision to make lay offs so that the company as a whole is a little bit better off to weather the current economy and he is a terrible human being directly responsible for the suffering of 7,000 people. If he doesn't make any cuts and the company doesn't make a profit and loses money to the point that it has to declare bankruptcy then he is the worst CEO ever, oh did I forget to mention that he is then directly responsible for the suffering of 200,000+ associates.

So which is it. Either he is making sound business decisions or he is just some jerk who makes decisions to hurt everyday Americans.

Also Baba Booey, I already have a response to you. "Yes the orange koolaide drink is pretty good" "also very original"

Newburyport, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

ex store mgr wrote:
<quoted text>
it IS about politics. politics and the economy is what put us in this position and as far as compassion...at first glance i do feel sorry for this lady but i don't know the whole story so i am not going to jump to conclusions. you frank blake haters just don't get that it is business and sometimes you have to cut payroll to be profitable. lastly home depot doesn't owe her a shopping cart to haul her stuff around so why don't you make better use of your time and go hug a tree or save a whale somewhere!!!
Atta boy Baba........give it to him!

Newburyport, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

Whatthehuh wrote:
Sounds like this lady was already in trouble well before she was laid off.
For the people who have gripes with Frank Blake, I don't quite get it. It is a damned if you do damned if you don't type mentality. He makes a decision to make lay offs so that the company as a whole is a little bit better off to weather the current economy and he is a terrible human being directly responsible for the suffering of 7,000 people. If he doesn't make any cuts and the company doesn't make a profit and loses money to the point that it has to declare bankruptcy then he is the worst CEO ever, oh did I forget to mention that he is then directly responsible for the suffering of 200,000+ associates.
So which is it. Either he is making sound business decisions or he is just some jerk who makes decisions to hurt everyday Americans.
Also Baba Booey, I already have a response to you. "Yes the orange koolaide drink is pretty good" "also very original"
Maybe THD could get a "bailout" too?
Prepare

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2009

Judged:

Who would work at a place like home depot anyways?? Get a real job or save your money, always hope for the best...and prepare for the worst. Or...get an education.
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2013

Judged:

Don't feel bad. I'm living in my car and I still work for home depot. If that's not sad I don't know what is. Where can you find a place that rent is 200 dollars a month. Its impossible.

Home Depot
Saint Cloud,FL 34769

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Fair Oaks Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Fair Oaks Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Fair Oaks People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE