Balanced School Year

Since: Nov 10

United States

#1 Nov 6, 2010
I think it is time to vote off the district members. The only people that will benefit from this type of school year is the Staff. If the school wants to be progressive they need to cut the school days to 4 per week. Integrate online training-which is the future. It is the electronic age. Who calculated the costs of extra bus runs and utilities? Shut the doors from Friday to Monday, use some of the tax dollars saved to put an IPAD in the hands of the students. Increase teacher pay and implement higher employment standards. Stop wasting tax dollars with a plan to regress. Fair Grove School District will probably get dragged into the electronic age kicking and screaming. If you want to spend more tax money please don't throw it out the window with this plan. Consider saving tax dollars!
Where is the consideration for parents in the "balanced school year"? Save on day-care? I believe the parents should have a role in raising their children. Was anyone listening to the voters on November 7th? LESS government is the message! Not more.
Concerned Citizen

United States

#2 Nov 8, 2010
I agree 100% about a four day school week. The amount of money the school could save on transportation alone is staggering. The Marshfield school system pays the transportation contractor about $6000 per day for transportation of the students. Do the math!
Basic Man

United States

#3 Nov 9, 2010
Concerned Citizen wrote:
I agree 100% about a four day school week. The amount of money the school could save on transportation alone is staggering. The Marshfield school system pays the transportation contractor about $6000 per day for transportation of the students. Do the math!
The MAP testing was another snafu that got big points for staff. Real actual results in students lives were just a side issue. Thank God that was finally recognized and tossed out.
The DISTRICT BOARD MEMBERS have already made their minds up on the balanced year. I hope the students don't feel their only recourse now is to drop out or move.
It is a sad time for Fair Grove.$6000.00 per day is staggering!
parent

United States

#4 Nov 10, 2010
I am very against the balanced school year. My daughter doesn't sit around during the summer. She attends workshops to develop her knowledge of what she wants to do in college. She is active in church camps and the vbs that is held during the day. I work for a different school district, so the summer is when we are able to do family things together; if budget allows we go away on vacation.

We may have to look at a different option her senior year. I am all for the four day school week.
Basic Man

United States

#5 Nov 23, 2010
Thank you to all of the parents who spoke out for the better interest of the students to the school board. I think they got the message. They have dropped the plan for year around classes and now are looking at "The budgeted year". Just add one month to the school year. Please consider a 4 day week, Fair Grove, and upgrade teaching requirements and pay for teachers. Quality time is better than quantity time. Thanks.
Salem Tiger

Salem, MO

#6 Nov 25, 2010
I've talked with my niece who teaches in Pleasant Hope and she has told me that teachers are now loaded down with more programs, committee work, and after school programs that she doesn't have time to teach. Her principal does not suppoert anyone in any fashion. She has also reported that the schoolboard has the overwhelming habit of sweeping things under the rug in hopes of not being found out as in the case of their audit that two members secretly signed a check without the proper approval, but did nothing happen? I guess not. There seems to be quite of trouble that goes untouched. I feel sorry for the teachers that they have to put up with incompetent leaders, low pay, and no time to teach. Shame, shame, shame.
Basic Man

United States

#7 Jan 22, 2011
http://www.kplctv.com/Global/story.asp...
Tennessee School requires IPAD. This is the future.
Better pay for teachers. Four day school week. IPAD with an electronic syllabus.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fair Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Puppy Mills (Nov '09) Jul 30 For the love of dogs 20
Lisa brown dog breeder on victory rd in Buffalo... Jul 29 Animal lover 2
James Lester Andrews (May '08) Jul '16 tim greene 4
missing family (Jul '13) May '16 Daughter 18
Potters Mansion (Mar '09) Apr '16 Chris Pfresh 5
amber harness (Jan '16) Apr '16 that one chick 4
nana's cafe (Jan '16) Apr '16 Really 5

Fair Grove Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance