Ban on pit bulls faces committee review

Ban on pit bulls faces committee review

There are 236 comments on the Springfield News Leader story from Feb 23, 2006, titled Ban on pit bulls faces committee review. In it, Springfield News Leader reports that:

A Springfield City Council committee is considering a citywide ban on pit bull dogs that would restrict current owners of the dogs and prohibit new pit bulls from coming to town.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Springfield News Leader.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
ryan

United States

#230 Jul 24, 2011
owners not the dogs get a life people
samuel

Bolivar, MO

#231 Sep 18, 2011
im a very proud owner of two pitts i wouldnt trade there lifes for 100 of yours that think we should ban them and as far as you cops that think its ok to profile the people in those communitys as meth heads or drugys or crimanals....who the hell do you think you are you are not better then anyone in fact anyone with the kind of reasoning that you have id have to question the fact weather or not you was on meth... and id be willing to bet you are... if i lived there id make you think you was right hire me a lawyer and over a few year build a case for harasment and all kinds of cival rights violations.and id build a case on you over a long peoriod of time so that bye the time i was done you would be living out of a box some were so that every stray dog in the alley that you was cornerd in could take there turns pissing on you...PEOPLE LIKE ARE WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY YOU ARE THE REASON AMERICA IS HATED BYE EVRY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Any Dog Deserves a Chance

Osceola, MO

#232 Sep 20, 2011
Its the ignorant people that are all about banning "Pits". They are a dog, and all dogs have to ability to attack and draw blood. But just because of their reputation from the past is no reason to not give them at least a chance now. As many before me have already posted its not the dog that acts that way from birth but instead they act that way when their owners train them to be mean. The breed "Pit Bull" is actually my favorite breed of dogs. They are one of the most loyal, playful, and lovable dogs out their. They don't deserve to be looked down upon cause of their stupid owners. You don't train a dog to attack, you love your dog and all it will do is love you back. And Poms, and Chihuahuas are more aggressive than any Pit i have been around. Its called the Napoleon Complex. I disagree with a ban on any breed of dog... But do agree with some form of restraint while the dog is outside of the house, need it be a fence or leash if you love your pet i believe you can at least do that to keep them in your life...
MemyselfandI

United States

#233 Sep 21, 2011
In the past I have bred and raised the American Pit Bull Terrier breed. I don't anymore because it is too hard to find a responsible owner and frankly they are waaaaay over bred. There are many smaller reasons that tie this breed into having such a negative stereotype. They are now the number one highest population of dog in the United States (also the #1 stolen dog). They attract irresponsible owners because of their strength and show quality (not sating all owners are irresponsible, some are GREAT!) They are also miscatagorized. I could start spouting out all these rare breeds that look like the Dogo Aregentino etc but let get real. In everyday miscatorization it is because someone sees a boxer lab mix, American bulldog mix or sometimes they just see a red nose and automatically deem the dog a red nose pit. Truth be told with the majority of mine they had same sex aggression as their biggest issue. They had no human aggression and this same sex aggression could be bred out of the breed if it weren't for the wanna be breeders breeding on color alone. Not one of mine were human aggressive and 3 were actually stolen from me. What needs to happen is there needs to be stricter laws on the breed. The dog should be microchipped and when it has bit someone the person that it is registered under should be prosecuted to the point of no return. Most of these Pit Bull bites are from irresponsible dog owners just letting their Pit run loose. If there was a microchip in that dog that could possibly have the potential of putting you in jail I am sure they would be keeping a better eye on their dog.
There have been studies made on the publicity of dog attacks. A lab may bite or maul a child and it is shown on the news once to three times in a 7 day period. A Pit Bull do the same and it will be aired close to 100 times and air via the web. It's about ratings with the media.
I call BS

Springfield, MO

#234 Sep 21, 2011
MemyselfandI wrote:
There have been studies made on the publicity of dog attacks. A lab may bite or maul a child and it is shown on the news once to three times in a 7 day period. A Pit Bull do the same and it will be aired close to 100 times and air via the web. It's about ratings with the media.
I've been on the planet for a long time, and I've yet to hear any details regarding a Lab MAULING a child. You're going a little overboard to bolster your point, and that's unreasonable.

What IS reasonable though, is that pit bulls have an overwhelmingly increased rate of disfigurement and mortality instances against humans AND other animals, no question, solid fact.

While the responsibility is ultimately the sh!t head owner, the fact remains that there's an increased risk of danger when pit bulls are intermingled amongst dense population areas. My Niece was mauled by a pit bull in the late 90's, and will bear those scars for the rest of her life. The dog was indoors and made its way through a storm door to go across the street and attack her while she rode her bicycle. The owner of the dog then had the nerve to blame the parents for allowing their daughter to ride her bicycle in their own driveway. The chances of that same incident happening to the degree it did with most other mainstream dog breeds drops to almost nil. Is banning the dogs from populated areas the right thing to do?

Yes. If it saves ONE child from being disfigured for the rest of her life, or dying..........Yes.
I call BS

Springfield, MO

#235 Sep 21, 2011
I always try to back up what I say with data, so here it is.

dogsbite.org

The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18%(16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81%(13).

Pit bulls are also more likely to kill an adult than a child. In the 3-year period, pit bulls killed more adults (ages 21 and over), 54%, than they did children (ages 11 and younger), 46%. In the 21-54 age group, pit bulls were responsible for 82%(14) of the deaths. The data indicates that pit bulls do not only kill children and senior citizens; they kill men and women in their prime years as well.

The report also shows that of the six victim age groups documented, the 55 and older group suffered the most fatalities 26%(23), followed by the 2-4 age group 22%(19). Between the ages of 0-4, the study reveals that 14%(12) of the fatal attacks involved a "watcher," a person such as a grandparent or babysitter watching the child. Of these attacks, 75%(9) involved a grandparent type.
MemyselfandI

Mount Vernon, MO

#236 Sep 23, 2011
You didn't hear anything about a lab mauling a child because the media didn't care. You said my exact point. Hell I lived right around the corner from the idiot with the lab that mauled the boy that was walking to elementary school.
From what you are saying I can tell you read my post wrong already. You have to tie in breed population counts, mis-catagorization and the "typical" Pit Bull owner. You will then see you are dealing with a far less aggressive dog than even your beloved Lab. According to the American Temperment Testing Association APBTs have a 85.3% passing rate with a 81% being the average canine.
If you want to pull the "If it only saves one kid" card then you might want to focus your interests on these subjects as it would be getting more done than what you feel you are standing for now.
Approximatly 50 children are killed by their cribs each year, 25 times the amount of adults and children killed by Pit Bulls.
Every year nearly 2,000!!!! children are killed by their parents or gaurdian due to abuse and neglect each year. A child is 800 times more likely to be killed by their care taker than a Pit Bull.
As a matter fact maybe you should see if we can get rid of cars too since 41,975 people die on average in car accidents per year in the US.
It's very hard to explain something to someone that hasn't had hands on experience. My mother was the same way. She is now the proud "RESPONSIBLE" owner of 3 American Pit Bull Terriers

I can see where you are coming from with strength and the ability to do MUCH damage but these would not be a worry if the owners were held responsible for their dogs and I am not talking about a court date after 60 days and a $20 fine. I am talking about relinquishing the dog(s) huge fines and possible jail time. If they don't like what "could" happen then they should no better than to get that breed of dog.
Sabrina

United States

#237 Apr 28, 2013
When I was a teenager, I was attacked by a pitbull. It was the owner's fault. His dog was loose and he knew it was aggressive. After years of fearing pits, I now own one. He's very loving and playful. Now I'm wanting another pit. I have my granddaughter living with me and all he does is lick her and run around her. I have seen her hit him in the face and he done nothing to her. If anyone should be blamed, it's the owners of the dog. I've also been attacked by other breeds. If pits are banned, why not all dogs that bit? After all, ANY dog can bite!!!
Krysten K

United States

#238 Apr 28, 2013
While I have never owned an American Pitbull, I have been around a lot of them. Not one of them has ever attacked any human or animal. My little girl has hit and kicked an American Pitbull and the dog just laid there and took it. After she was done abusing him, he rolled over in a "can I have some more?" sort of way.
Just so everyone knows, I lived in areas where American Pitbulls were trained to fight and kill anything and anyone that moves but their handler and STILL heard of more dog attacks by NON-American Pitbulls. I've heard of more attacks by dogs that have been proven by centuries to be completely passive than American Pitbulls.
What about ENGLISH Pitbulls? Not many people know there is a difference and lump them as one breed. All these supposedly aggressive breeds-I'm including Rotts and other "aggressive" breeds-are only that way because that was how they were raised or treated. I have noticed that dogs will turn on ABUSIVE owners. If they turn on someone who has not abused them, it's because someone else abused them so they become more likely to turn if hit as punishment. I prefer kenneling them as punishment for this reason, being used to working with abused dogs-all Pitbull breeds and Rotts included.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#239 Apr 28, 2013
Krysten K wrote:
While I have never owned an American Pitbull, I have been around a lot of them. Not one of them has ever attacked any human or animal. My little girl has hit and kicked an American Pitbull and the dog just laid there and took it. After she was done abusing him, he rolled over in a "can I have some more?" sort of way.
Just so everyone knows, I lived in areas where American Pitbulls were trained to fight and kill anything and anyone that moves but their handler and STILL heard of more dog attacks by NON-American Pitbulls. I've heard of more attacks by dogs that have been proven by centuries to be completely passive than American Pitbulls.
What about ENGLISH Pitbulls? Not many people know there is a difference and lump them as one breed. All these supposedly aggressive breeds-I'm including Rotts and other "aggressive" breeds-are only that way because that was how they were raised or treated. I have noticed that dogs will turn on ABUSIVE owners. If they turn on someone who has not abused them, it's because someone else abused them so they become more likely to turn if hit as punishment. I prefer kenneling them as punishment for this reason, being used to working with abused dogs-all Pitbull breeds and Rotts included.
Good post. I have also seen some pitbulls that are very friendly and tolerant of children. I think the owner is responsible for the training of dogs and if they don't abuse them, these are good dogs to have.
im not a vet either

Valdosta, GA

#242 Jun 3, 2013
Larry Alexander wrote:
<quoted text> You said it, It's a 100% the owner of those dogs that are half way safe around those pitt bulls, They are a danger to the public, Those animals are not like your otheir dogs they was breeded to be a fighting dog, You can't trust them they can even turn on their own masters and kill or injure their masters as well as they can a stranger. These dog's are used by meth lab's and otheir drug dealers to protect and guard them and their drugs from The police and otheir dealers who might try and harm or steal their drugs. I'm a Police officer and when I see a pit bull in someones yard I drive by I always stop and make a note in my note book of the address and I keep a close watch on those house's where I see a pit bull at." Pit's and drug dealers are often connected. I' don't know why any one would want to risk owning one of those dogs Unless they have something to hide from the law, something they want protection for. So if you don't want me watching your house you had better keep your pit tied up around back or in the house and if you don't want him shot you better make sure he is tied on a heavey duty chain so he can't get loose. Cause if I get a call where he has hurt or killed some child that dog is going to be shot on sight and you maybe arrested for owning that animal and not keeping him on a big chain and locked so he can't get loose. Its very possiable for a owner of a pit that don't keep that animal securely tied with a strong chain to be charged with a crime.My job is to serve and protect the citizens of willard missouri that's what I'm paid to do."
wow! thats all i can say. I was looking at a house in the area and i was checking the ordinances before i commit to an area. after reading this there is no way i would move my children into an area like this. pitbull or no this is an abuse of power. i would not move into an area that lets their law enforcement have free reign like that. government (even local government) is supposed to be for the people and not against them. the wonderful thing about the united states is being able to make your own choices and it doesnt sound like that is true here.
where

Valdosta, GA

#243 Jun 3, 2013
Drue wrote:
If your actually a cop, you are an illiterate person. Besides, there are a lot of other things that are more important than the banning of pitbulls, drug dealers, or meth heads... Why don't you lazy cops go bust the real bad guys, rapists, pedophiles, or murderers. I doubt you're even a cop anyway. I own a pitbull and it took almost forever to find a place that would do a visectimy and not totally dismember the dog. Pitbulls aren't even known for the most dog attacks in the world, they unfortunatly have the most damaging bite. If you ask me I think that the owners should have to be trained to own a pitbull. Anyways I have to get back to my school project so I'm about done here. I know I'll always own a pitbull!
where did you have it done? my boy needs fixed too but i hate the idea of haveing his boys chopped off lol.
Hertz

Monett, MO

#244 Jun 4, 2013
I have noticed a certain type of wannabe thug pitbull owner that does exist. These are the type of owner that for the most part give the dog a bad name because these are usually the same people that get off on the intimidation factor. It is very similar to a roid head cop bulging his eyes out at everyone or a biker with ridiculous tattoos and loud exhaust. Some people simply get off on intimidation. I'm not trying to talk trash on motorcyclists or hiphop music but this phenomenon does in fact exist. At least these kinds of people have some primitive instinct left in them, they are not total invertebrates that is, they have nonetheless lost touch with there own spirit.
Trying to fool yourself

Springfield, MO

#245 Jun 5, 2013
I know agressive breeds. To be honest I have owned more than a few, and do.

When it comes to little children, does the good out-weight the bad? Id have to say no.
Its a matter of what these breeds are capable of and thats a risk that would never be worth taking.

For those who say its how they are brought up ... you are wrong. Dogs have an instinctive nature.

As a child gets older , you might find these breeds to be a good choice because of their protective nature but never allow yourself to believe theres nothing a small toddler can do that would provoke a dog.

If you want to own one thats a personal choice but by all means have the common sense to wait until your babies are older before doing so.
Yes all dogs have it in them, but no, not all dogs are capable of mauling and will do so with such force.

So go ahead and fool yourself all you want. Ive had agressive breeds . I started with one dangerous breed at 2 weeks old so there was no other influence.
I am completely aware and would never live in denial of its ability. Do I have to maintain the pecking order ? Yes , everyday. Do I have to maintain Alpha over this breed? At all times and no matter what it takes.
howdy

Springfield, MO

#246 Jun 5, 2013
Hertz wrote:
I have noticed a certain type of wannabe thug pitbull owner that does exist. These are the type of owner that for the most part give the dog a bad name because these are usually the same people that get off on the intimidation factor. It is very similar to a roid head cop bulging his eyes out at everyone or a biker with ridiculous tattoos and loud exhaust. Some people simply get off on intimidation. I'm not trying to talk trash on motorcyclists or hiphop music but this phenomenon does in fact exist. At least these kinds of people have some primitive instinct left in them, they are not total invertebrates that is, they have nonetheless lost touch with there own spirit.
I agree with this post. I've seen too many people get pits and other kinds of dogs to make them look tough. I don't believe that the dogs are usually at fault. Tattoo bunny owners are though. Lets face it, most of the time, tattoos are just a way of announcing to the world that you're a shitbag and proud of it. Some just like the art, so exceptions there are but they are few. stereotypically, white folks with a lot of tattoos are more than likely70 methheads.
Hertz

Monett, MO

#247 Jun 5, 2013
howdy wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with this post. I've seen too many people get pits and other kinds of dogs to make them look tough. I don't believe that the dogs are usually at fault. Tattoo bunny owners are though. Lets face it, most of the time, tattoos are just a way of announcing to the world that you're a shitbag and proud of it. Some just like the art, so exceptions there are but they are few. stereotypically, white folks with a lot of tattoos are more than likely70 methheads.
A lot of people in the military have tattoos. More and more police officers are covered in tattoos these days. I think it's just something that goes hand in hand with being a tool.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fair Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Coach Nolan Dec 18 Enquirer 1
SNITCHES AND NARKS in Buffalo, MO (Dec '14) Dec '16 Dan 2
Home Invasion in 1996-1995 (Feb '10) Nov '16 I do what year n ... 2
whos horny (Jan '13) Nov '16 Nympho69 5
Looking for Codey Dale Cummings Nov '16 Missing_ 1
News Married couple have joint court hearing for mur... (Jun '06) Nov '16 Smith 9
Deanne Treese is a THIEF! Nov '16 Local 4

Fair Grove Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fair Grove Mortgages