Candidates for Charlottesville Treasurer to Speak at Forum

There are 12 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Mar 26, 2013, titled Candidates for Charlottesville Treasurer to Speak at Forum. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Thursday night, both candidates are speaking out about running for office. The Jefferson Area Tea Party is hosting a forum for both candidates as part of its monthly meeting.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Jaded

Richmond, VA

#1 Mar 28, 2013
Couldn't "Democrat for Treasurer" be considered an oxymoron?
Davenue

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Mar 28, 2013
I never met Jason in High School he went to CHS he was an honor student in the honor classes and his mom was an honor class teacher there so he definitely has a privileged background so we'll see how he's able to handle the city's money as I'm sure he'll win.
DbAg

Waynesboro, VA

#3 Mar 28, 2013
Is political affliation really necessary as part of a treasurer's job? So sick of party affiliation revolving around everything in the city
Amanda

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Mar 28, 2013
The tea party hosted an excellent forum tonight. Both candidates answered questions well, but I believe Independent candidate John Pfaltz is just that -- independent. The treasurer should not be beholden to anyone but the people and, though he's qualified, Jason Vandever is another cog in the city's Democrat-driven machine.

The city Democrat party backs him (along with $2,000.00 in campaign contributions), City Council wanted to annoint him without running for election, and he's already indoctrinated to do business-as-usual as he has done as deputy treasurer.

John Pfaltz spoke repeatedly about greater transparency, quarterly reports to (gasp!!) the PEOPLE, and promised a watchful eye over how city government handles our tax dollars.

He's got my vote on April 2.
Albemarle tax money

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Mar 29, 2013
So the tea party hosted the event in the Albemarle County office building. Did they pay the county for the use of the facility or did Albemarle tax payers foot the bill?
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Mar 29, 2013
"I can afford to let people know what's going on; I can make transparency happen," Pfaltz said."

and obviously you think we can afford $15,000 for your special election demand because you can't wait for the regular election to get your hands on an $87,000 salary?
so much for fiscal responsibility
internets

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Mar 29, 2013
what's the point? whoever has the D next to their name on the ballot will win
Grammar Girl

Scottsville, VA

#8 Mar 29, 2013
Pfaltz says it will be a "nuisance" if he wins? Hmmm....
Amanda

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Mar 29, 2013
Grammar Girl wrote:
Pfaltz says it will be a "nuisance" if he wins? Hmmm....
He meant to his retirement and personal life. And he's correct and better yet he's being honest.

You know, some of the best representatives are those who feel compelled to serve despite the inconvenience it causes them personally. They put there sense of obligation to the community about their own selfish desires. The opposite of them are career politicians, who only serve for their own career advancement and aggrandizement.

I don't know Johh Pfaltz but he's got my vote.
independent

Dallas, TX

#10 Apr 1, 2013
Hmmm...a choice between a young, motivated family man, with on the job experience....or an old fart who would be "inconvenienced" by taking the position, and is costing the city money by asking for a special election...sounds like an easy choice to me.
CvilleMechEngr

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Apr 1, 2013
Davenue wrote:
I never met Jason in High School he went to CHS he was an honor student in the honor classes and his mom was an honor class teacher there so he definitely has a privileged background so we'll see how he's able to handle the city's money as I'm sure he'll win.
A place on the honor roll generally has more to do with effort than privilege. As to handling the Treasurer's role for the City, he's been doing it capably for some time now. Mr. Pfaltz might be able to (grudgingly) do the job, but I don't see a need to fix something that works already, and I don't detect any lack of transparency. Most people who complain about how funds are handled never even bother to study the budget information that's already available to them.
sez you

Richmond, VA

#12 Apr 1, 2013
Totally dum idea to begin with, The position should go thru human resourses and all applicants vetted to the max. The position should go to the best qualified, not the most popular, Bush and Obama were popular, now look whats happening.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Faber Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
William Faber (Nov '08) Apr '15 Chris 4
Royal Orchard Castle (Nov '07) Feb '15 Millie counts 15
News Nelson County Murder - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesvil... (Dec '11) Feb '15 Diane Watson 32
JAG Officer Christopher Dumler Jailed for Sexua... (Mar '13) Nov '14 Scottsville 2
truck convoy (Oct '14) Oct '14 jaymac 1
Swannanoa Mansion (Feb '07) Mar '14 Chessie 403
News Tractor Trailer Accident Causes Traffic Delays ... (Feb '12) Feb '14 FMG64 15
More from around the web

Faber People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]