Honolulu, HI

#3541 Nov 19, 2012
Hanabata Daze wrote:
Charles K.L. Davis
Alfred Apaka
Danny Kaleikini (Kahala Hilton)
Don Ho & the Swinging Ali'is
Carole Kai
Liz Damon and the Orient Express ('1900 Yesterdays')
Society of Seven
The Surfers
Doug Mossman
Ed Kenney & Beverly Noa
Emma Veary
Nina Keali'iwahamana
Marlene Sai
Loyal Garner
Lippy Espinda ("27 years in the same location!")
Aloha Motors (Chevys and Olds)
Schumann Carriage (Buicks and Cadillacs)
Mike Salta Pontiac
Castner Ford (Wahiawa)
Hawaiian Motors (Dodge Plymouth and Chrysler)
Pfleuger Lincoln-Mercury
Kent Bowman's "No Talk Stink!"
J. "Aku Head" Pupule
Uncle Tom Moffet and the Poi Boys on AM 1380
KCKC

Oklahoma City, OK

#3542 Nov 21, 2012
ETA136 wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah! Remember the Kansaki girl? Rodney Kiyota. He was released from prison.
Wasn't there was a serial killer too that picked up women at Nimitz Hwy bus stops? I don't think he was ever caught.
What's wierd is I was friends with Rod Kiyota in California. I never knew his history. He seemed like a nice guy. I don't see him anymore. He has a terminal illness and lives somewhere in Orangvalle Ca. His wife told me about him after they seperated, I couldn't believe it. I even went on vacation with them to Hawaii.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#3543 Nov 21, 2012
KCKC wrote:
<quoted text>
What's wierd is I was friends with Rod Kiyota in California. I never knew his history. He seemed like a nice guy. I don't see him anymore. He has a terminal illness and lives somewhere in Orangvalle Ca. His wife told me about him after they seperated, I couldn't believe it. I even went on vacation with them to Hawaii.
I think I remember the guy. In the eighties we had a serial killer that killed women inside his van. His van was seen by a witness and found out by the airport, he was later arrested for the murders. For some reason, he was released the next day and put on a plane to California, and the killings stopped. No explanation was ever given as to why he was let go, and I read that he eventually died. I always figured he was politically connected.

Location hidden

#3544 Nov 21, 2012
Oh, a couple more things. He FAILED the polygraph, had no alibi and was "missing" on the nights of five of the murders, worked in the area, and died in 2005. Eyewitnesses picked him out of a line-up, and he was still released with no explanation given.
Hanabata Daze

Houston, TX

#3545 Nov 22, 2012
District 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Kent Bowman's "No Talk Stink!"
J. "Aku Head" Pupule
Uncle Tom Moffet and the Poi Boys on AM 1380
Kent Bowman aka K.K. Ka'umanua doing Pidgin fairy tales
J. Akuhead Pupule (Hal Lewis) aka Aku, highest paid DJ of his time
Agapito Benington Smythe in the time slot before him
Uncle Tom Moffatt & Ron Wiley on KPOI (broadcasting from the dead end of the Ala Wai)
The Weird Beard
Kamasami Kong on KKUA
Al Michaels, voice of the Islanders, on KGU
marialani

Honolulu, HI

#3546 Nov 23, 2012
Joe Balls wrote:
Oh, a couple more things. He FAILED the polygraph, had no alibi and was "missing" on the nights of five of the murders, worked in the area, and died in 2005. Eyewitnesses picked him out of a line-up, and he was still released with no explanation given.
Was he associated with the Diane Suzuki murder too?

Location hidden

#3548 Nov 23, 2012
marialani wrote:
<quoted text>
IMO, no he wasn't. The Suzuki murder was completely different, and I think her boyfriend did her in. I remember a psychic went in to the murder scene a long time afterward, where the cops say the murder Didn't happen, and found her necklace in the shower drain. Remember, this girl was a member of a family with a lot of questionable associations.
Jack

Phoenix, AZ

#3549 Nov 24, 2012
That big fat liar guru did it. He left his signature chicken bones at the scene of the crime.

Location hidden

#3550 Nov 24, 2012
marialani wrote:
<quoted text>
The serial killer was picked out of a lineup, and he had a distinctive look, especially in Hawaii. He had red hair, a beard, was large, drove the van that was described by witnesses, and lived in his van, on Lagoon Drive. He also worked at an airline hangar right there, so could easily hide his van. He was arrested, questioned for mo more then three hours, and was put on a plane to California. I don't know who the guy was, but he obviously had juice. I even thought there would be a movie made about it because it was so weird how things went down. Honolulu has a terrible record for solving murders, I think it's because they are so corrupt that everyone "knows" someone else. The only time anything is solved is when the feds move in. I remember at one time in the eighties or nineties when NYPD was willing to, "Send some detectives down there to solve your murders," and their help were refused. NYPD has a 95% "solved" rate. They may have been consulted on the Suzuki case, but years after the event, if I'm remembering it straight.
Alan

Kailua, HI

#3551 Nov 27, 2012
Once upon a time, wasn't Windward Oahu ALWAYS cooler than the rest of island?

Lately, haven't I been noticing on the tv weather news that that is no longer the case?
Alan

Kailua, HI

#3552 Nov 27, 2012
At Stadium Mall, whatever happened to DA KINE... store?

Location hidden

#3553 Nov 27, 2012
Alan wrote:
Once upon a time, wasn't Windward Oahu ALWAYS cooler than the rest of island?
Lately, haven't I been noticing on the tv weather news that that is no longer the case?
Oahu had a ten-year drought going on, maybe that was when you were here. It may have seemed like it was cooler where you were during that time, just because the rest of us were sweating our asses off.
District 1

Honolulu, HI

#3554 Nov 28, 2012
Hanabata Daze wrote:
<quoted text>
Kent Bowman aka K.K. Ka'umanua doing Pidgin fairy tales
J. Akuhead Pupule (Hal Lewis) aka Aku, highest paid DJ of his time
Agapito Benington Smythe in the time slot before him
Uncle Tom Moffatt & Ron Wiley on KPOI (broadcasting from the dead end of the Ala Wai)
The Weird Beard
Kamasami Kong on KKUA
Al Michaels, voice of the Islanders, on KGU
It blows me away that Al Michaels was the voice of the Islanders. Even back then you could tell this guy was going to go far.
Same with Joe Moore when he was just the Sports guy.
It also blows me away that Uncle Tom still sounds so great. What a career!
superbrowncat

San Francisco, CA

#3555 Dec 12, 2012
yup, I remeber that playground...the one with the waterfall and wading pool that they had to get rid of. And the sandbox with the sculptures that I was too small to get up on. They had an ostrich sculpture made out of metal that somehow ended up at UH Manoa in the art department.

More at Ala Moanas & other stuffs:

*Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor...the "Zoo" with the plastic animals
*I think it was Keiki Land, where they had the boat ride, ferris wheel, and some others...was there a flying saucer?
*Woolworths that had a soda fountain and a huge staircase to get up to the second level...
*I remember a crack seed store downstairs
*Kramers for cool school clothes
*Famolare shoes with the wavy soles
*Shirokiya's toy section where I got all my Kikaida and Rainbow man figures.
*Honolulu book store and the music store next door where you could listen to lp's.
*the Kikaider show at the Blaisdell where I took 2 rolls of film on my Kodak camera with the add-on flash cudes, in about a minute.
*I rember Roller World and wearing my skates in the restroom.

Too fun:)
ohaiboy wrote:
the playground in ala moana where the parents just dropped the kids off while shopping
big way burger in wahiawa
dairy queen in wahiawa
watching "bambi" in the aiea drive in, with the cane fields burning around us
walking to the beach with no slippers on (that's how you learn to run fast!)
playing dodge ball thru the entire neighborhood
playing marbles for hours after school
15 cents got you chocolate milk and a pastry fro recess (waipahu elem)
lemon peel and ika legs from the store
for those who care, all these are from 1968-1969, then i moved away but never forgot. i came back 12 years ago and most of these were gone, but the memories last forever!!
last one: the big slide by the drive in in aiea...my folks knew the owners and we would go early saturday to wax the lanes...ride the blocks of wax down, the polish by riding the burlap bags down.
Gabe

Lahaina, HI

#3556 Dec 13, 2012
superbrowncat wrote:
*Honolulu book store and the music store next door where you could listen to lp's.
<quoted text>
Wasn't that music store called HOUSE OF MUSIC?
Hanabata Daze

Houston, TX

#3557 Dec 14, 2012
Gabe wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't that music store called HOUSE OF MUSIC?
Yup, Honolulu Book Shop
Slipper House
India Imports
Otaheite
Ritz
Carol & Mary
McInerny's
Watumull's
Waltah Clarke's
popolo

Kahului, HI

#3558 Dec 21, 2012
acoss the street at cenral YCA snack ba two scoop rice and grav all over 20 cents
superbrowncat wrote:
yup, I remeber that playground...the one with the waterfall and wading pool that they had to get rid of. And the sandbox with the sculptures that I was too small to get up on. They had an ostrich sculpture made out of metal that somehow ended up at UH Manoa in the art department.
More at Ala Moanas & other stuffs:
*Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor...the "Zoo" with the plastic animals
*I think it was Keiki Land, where they had the boat ride, ferris wheel, and some others...was there a flying saucer?
*Woolworths that had a soda fountain and a huge staircase to get up to the second level...
*I remember a crack seed store downstairs
*Kramers for cool school clothes
*Famolare shoes with the wavy soles
across the street at central YMCA snack bar 2 scoop rice with gravy all over 20 cents
*Shirokiya's toy section where I got all my Kikaida and Rainbow man figures.
*the Kikaider show at the Blaisdell where I took 2 rolls of film on my Kodak camera with the add-on flash cudes, in about a minute.
*I rember Roller World and wearing my skates in the restroom.
Too fun:)
<quoted text>
Ace Ikeda

Modesto, CA

#3559 Dec 29, 2012
Roller world was the best . Great friends like Tom , Danny , Eddie , kip , Keith , Dwayne and I playing roller hockey . Our team got to go to nationals in little rock . Beautiful girl skaters like Lisa , Rowena , Cheryl , Lori and Beth . It was the best of times .
a friend

Henderson, NV

#3560 Dec 29, 2012
shaughpe wrote:
<quoted text>
Does anyone know what happened to Lace??
Lace now lives in Las Vegas but has homes in both places and cares for her elderly mother when in Honolulu. She is a wonderful woman who never passes up the chance to help others. She is a shining example of how to embrace life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ewa Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CUBA vs HAWAII! 7 min Guru 8
I Leeward Lolo am taking on all comers (Jun '14) 33 min Puerco martypussy 10
LIFE on MARS? 36 min Guru 3
Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) 1 hr Joe Balls 61,918
Are you LIBERAL or CONSERVATIVE? 2 hr Guru 12
Joe Arpaio Loses Arizona Students Win 17 hr 691 Pledge All to... 11
Review: Island Realty Group LLC (Oct '09) Nov '14 RyancoBryan 23
Ewa Beach Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web