First Prev
of 3
Next Last
mark

United States

#1 Jan 24, 2012
What a joke they caved in again to the school dept. Giving them more money there go the
Everett Taxpayer

Everett, MA

#2 Jan 24, 2012
What a bunch of whimps. They even talked about building a new school - guess who pays for that? This city is sickening.
Murray817

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Jan 24, 2012
Seriously? This funding to the schools was urgent and saved jobs for many Everett residents and ensured the children of Everett will continue to receive an adequate education. Did you guys listen to last night's joint session? They discussed the tax implications and the need to correct a growing problem but the aldermen KNEW that the emergency money was essential hence the unanimous vote.
How many

Boston, MA

#4 Jan 24, 2012
Murray817 wrote:
Seriously? This funding to the schools was urgent and saved jobs for many Everett residents and ensured the children of Everett will continue to receive an adequate education. Did you guys listen to last night's joint session? They discussed the tax implications and the need to correct a growing problem but the aldermen KNEW that the emergency money was essential hence the unanimous vote.
I wonder just how many of the saved jobs were/are actual Everett residents. I'll bet very few. So I take it that the free pre-school for 3 and 4 year olds will continue? I thought they should let them finish the year up but it should no longer be free after this year or it should be discontinued.
Rug Doctor

Boston, MA

#5 Jan 24, 2012
It doesn't matter how many jobs that were saved for non Everett residents. What matters is there are no layoffs and no child in the schools will lose any schooling this year.

With that being said those in charge,,,,FFF, Stella, Obremski, Mayor, Alderman, and CC need to figure out the root cause as to why the schools are expanding exponentially.
How many kids are in the Everett school system who are here from another City etc? I'm not talking about sports I'm talking about classes/services that Everett provides compared to another district.
Lastly, FFF brought up the point that a family was paying $2000 rent and living in a basement. The City of Everett needs to come down hard on these type of landlords....say a $20,000 fine for the first offense,$50,000 for a 2nd offense etc so the word travels fast and landlords put an end to this. The quickest way to end this is to hit them in the wallet.
I'm the biggest #%$@*&%^ when it comes to sticking to the taxpayer because it hits me in the wallet but when it comes to schooling I'm more lienient.
As a taxpayer I'd like the City to hire an outside firm/company to go over the school dept budget to make sure everything is on the up and up too.
resident

Tewksbury, MA

#6 Jan 24, 2012
Rug Doctor wrote:
It doesn't matter how many jobs that were saved for non Everett residents. What matters is there are no layoffs and no child in the schools will lose any schooling this year.
With that being said those in charge,,,,FFF, Stella, Obremski, Mayor, Alderman, and CC need to figure out the root cause as to why the schools are expanding exponentially.
How many kids are in the Everett school system who are here from another City etc? I'm not talking about sports I'm talking about classes/services that Everett provides compared to another district.
Lastly, FFF brought up the point that a family was paying $2000 rent and living in a basement. The City of Everett needs to come down hard on these type of landlords....say a $20,000 fine for the first offense,$50,000 for a 2nd offense etc so the word travels fast and landlords put an end to this. The quickest way to end this is to hit them in the wallet.
I'm the biggest #%$@*&%^ when it comes to sticking to the taxpayer because it hits me in the wallet but when it comes to schooling I'm more lienient.
As a taxpayer I'd like the City to hire an outside firm/company to go over the school dept budget to make sure everything is on the up and up too.
Please dont believe that someone is paying 2000.00 for a basement apt in everett, if someone oculd afford that much for rent, why live in a basement and why live in everett, maybe its someone that everett needs for football and found a place for him and his family to live so they can be now be everett residents! Maybe their rent is being paid by the school dept(city of everett), I mean how else would FFF know how much someone is paying for rent! I'm not saying that this it true but that 2000.00 rent per month is ridiculous and I'll tell you what, it must be a pretty big basement with either 6 or 7 bedrooms - COME ON! THINK ABOUT IT!
Insulting Intelligence

Boston, MA

#7 Jan 24, 2012
resident wrote:
<quoted text>Please dont believe that someone is paying 2000.00 for a basement apt in everett, if someone oculd afford that much for rent, why live in a basement and why live in everett, maybe its someone that everett needs for football and found a place for him and his family to live so they can be now be everett residents! Maybe their rent is being paid by the school dept(city of everett), I mean how else would FFF know how much someone is paying for rent! I'm not saying that this it true but that 2000.00 rent per month is ridiculous and I'll tell you what, it must be a pretty big basement with either 6 or 7 bedrooms - COME ON! THINK ABOUT IT!
What a bunch of bullyank. I agree. How stupid do they think we are. I am so surprised there were'nt hecklers in the crowd after that remark. But, then again, they were there FOR THEIR JOBS TO BE SAVED. I did see a few aldermen rolling their eyes. That's Entertainment in the City of Everett!
Rug Doctor

Boston, MA

#8 Jan 24, 2012
resident wrote:
<quoted text>Please dont believe that someone is paying 2000.00 for a basement apt in everett, if someone oculd afford that much for rent, why live in a basement and why live in everett, maybe its someone that everett needs for football and found a place for him and his family to live so they can be now be everett residents! Maybe their rent is being paid by the school dept(city of everett), I mean how else would FFF know how much someone is paying for rent! I'm not saying that this it true but that 2000.00 rent per month is ridiculous and I'll tell you what, it must be a pretty big basement with either 6 or 7 bedrooms - COME ON! THINK ABOUT IT!
Do you think FFF would blatantly lie 'on the record'? I don't because I know he's much smarter than that. What I do know is that people will pay whatever they have in order to get their families into the US from another country. So I don't doubt what he is saying. I'm going from memory so I might be the one who is wrong by saying $2000 (it might be slightly less) but my memory is usually accurate.
Everett Taxpayer

Everett, MA

#9 Jan 24, 2012
It might cost $2000/month but I'll bet you it's being paid by the Government (Section 8). Nobody would pay that much for a basement apartment in Everett - even illegals.
Just Reading

Cambridge, MA

#10 Jan 24, 2012
Of course illegals will pay that! They set up regimes. The first renter family moves in, then they have their illegal friends/family move in and pay them rent! They collect more rent that the landlord and that's a fact. I see it in my neighborhood. Then the first renter has a boat load of cash and buys a two family house and it starts all over again. The first apartment will stay with one of the illegals taking over and charging the others rent and of course moving one more in to take his place at the bottom of the ladder. It goes on and on. Yes, blame the landlords because as long as they get their money, they don't care. Plus the first renter family does not pay tax on the rent they collect.[And by the way, i have a neighbor that spends most of his nights sitting in his car living out of his trunk and then goes into the house to sleep.]
Anonymous North

Malden, MA

#11 Jan 24, 2012
Rug DR ASKED if FFF would lie. Where has he/she been for the last 20 plus years?
resident

Tewksbury, MA

#12 Jan 24, 2012
Anonymous North wrote:
Rug DR ASKED if FFF would lie. Where has he/she been for the last 20 plus years?
It killed me not to reply to that statement, but I was wondering the same thing, LOL! And if FFF knows of an illegal basement apartment that's being rented for 2000.00, shouldn't he do the right thing and report it!
Rug Doctor

Boston, MA

#13 Jan 24, 2012
Anonymous North wrote:
true...
No Fault

Waltham, MA

#14 Jan 24, 2012
resident wrote:
<quoted text>It killed me not to reply to that statement, but I was wondering the same thing, LOL! And if FFF knows of an illegal basement apartment that's being rented for 2000.00, shouldn't he do the right thing and report it!
I thought I heard the Mayor say it was a $2000 per month basement apartment and the familythanked him for telling them.
just amazed

Cambridge, MA

#15 Jan 24, 2012
No Fault wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought I heard the Mayor say it was a $2000 per month basement apartment and the familythanked him for telling them.
The Superintendent never said anything about $2,000.00 rent for an illegal basement apartment. That was the mayor. I'm sure out of that $2,000.00 rent...section 8 picks up $1,900.00, so sorry Mr. Mayor, these illegals do NOT have the funds to be here like you said.

The Superintendent was right. Stop granting variances and making 2 families into 4 families. Also, STOP looking the other way if the person had a campaign sign on their house! AND... start targeting these absentee landlords that let their property go to crap and rent to these section 8 people that pop babies out like rabbits just for the check. I'm sick of the mayor dissing David Ragucci when he refers to "prior" administrations. He's only dissing David because he was in so long to have any effect....and now Carlo's buddies are liking David's female opponent in Stoneham? He needs to stop being so insecure and making everything about him. Last night was about saving teacher positions and making sure our children continue to receive the finest education they have ever received. Instead of having the adults speak, maybe the children should. They are more grown up then those causing chaos last night. I've never seen a more insecure mayor in my life that has to trash talk everybody and uses every single opportunity to make it out about him. Even the Eagles and Huskies he had to diss. He said they had to merge because of "alter egos" TALK ABOUT AN ALTER EGO!
Everett Taxpayer

Everett, MA

#16 Jan 24, 2012
That's our mayor for ya! Always about him. Why did you people vote him back in????
How many

Boston, MA

#17 Jan 24, 2012
Just Reading wrote:
Of course illegals will pay that! They set up regimes. The first renter family moves in, then they have their illegal friends/family move in and pay them rent! They collect more rent that the landlord and that's a fact. I see it in my neighborhood. Then the first renter has a boat load of cash and buys a two family house and it starts all over again. The first apartment will stay with one of the illegals taking over and charging the others rent and of course moving one more in to take his place at the bottom of the ladder. It goes on and on. Yes, blame the landlords because as long as they get their money, they don't care. Plus the first renter family does not pay tax on the rent they collect.[And by the way, i have a neighbor that spends most of his nights sitting in his car living out of his trunk and then goes into the house to sleep.]
This is exactly what is going on at my next door neighbors SINGLE family. They immediately transformed the basement into an apartment and there are people coming and going all the time. I'm not sure how many people live there but there are way more than the three that were suppose to be living there. When we notified the landlord, they said "we told them they could have GUESTS!!". The landlord also got very angry at us for telling them what their tenants were doing (i.e. parking on the lawn, trash all over the place, multiple people living there). We did report this to code enforcement who did absolutely nothing. They can't register their carS in the city because as one said "we don't live here"!! Well why is your car parked in the driveway every single night then!! I also wonder if they've told their landlord yet that they smashed into their wall and destroyed it? Somehow I don't even think they'd care.
bill hurley jr

Malden, MA

#18 Jan 24, 2012
Robert van campen stated it perfectly last night at end of meeting, what i would suggest is that the city and school dept work together, go over the addresses of students to there addresses where they live at, if the same address has 5-15 kids in one house, they should pay more for taxes and it will also stop these illegal apartments.also maybe we could get an actual account of people living in everett which would lead to more state and federal money to everett. but the well will eventually run dry and there wont be any more free cash to help out any more, so it is imperative to work together to stop the problem at hand.
Da Mayor

Boston, MA

#19 Jan 24, 2012
If the theory that the mayor's office has posts deleted, why would he have the "Ragucci's" forum deleted if he hates him? Just a thought...
Da Mayor

Boston, MA

#20 Jan 24, 2012
Da Mayor wrote:
If the theory that the mayor's office has posts deleted, why would he have the "Ragucci's" forum deleted if he hates him? Just a thought...
Oops. Meant that for the "deleting posts" forum!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Everett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wynn election night party at EHS 3 hr Looking at the law 5
Mr. and Mrs. Carlo DeMaria Seeking Special Permit 19 hr Poor Taxpayer 17
Navarra as DPW Chief?? 20 hr EverettCitizen 11
effing third party energy scammers 21 hr EverettCitizen 2
Fred Foresteire (Jan '13) Dec 17 EverettCitizen 152
Do you approve of Michael K. Marchese as Alderman? (Jan '12) Dec 15 Lisa 23
Snow Removal Ordiance Dec 13 scraping in Everett 29

Everett News Video

Everett Dating
Find my Match