Holding your kid back a year to play ...

Holding your kid back a year to play sports

Posted in the Evarts Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#1 Nov 3, 2011
Ok people...what's the deal with people holding their kids back a year in school, just to play sports? What are you teaching your kids about life? So, a 6th grader that is 14 years old plays with kids that are 11 & 12 years old can score more points. Later in life when they have a job, what will they know to do? We are supposed to teach them to strive to be better and work hard to succeed in life, well you can teach them that for sports as well. I know this is going to make a few people mad, but I would like to know the reasons why.
Jamie

Ford City, PA

#2 Nov 3, 2011
Wondering1974 wrote:
Ok people...what's the deal with people holding their kids back a year in school, just to play sports? What are you teaching your kids about life? So, a 6th grader that is 14 years old plays with kids that are 11 & 12 years old can score more points. Later in life when they have a job, what will they know to do? We are supposed to teach them to strive to be better and work hard to succeed in life, well you can teach them that for sports as well. I know this is going to make a few people mad, but I would like to know the reasons why.
Evarts has been doing this for years, actually the whole county school system has been doing it for years.
Its CRAZY

Somerset, KY

#3 Nov 3, 2011
I think that it is just crazy anyone would hold there child back just for sports...I know for a fact of two that have been held back for 1-2 years. Not only is it bad that the child is playing sports with kids much younger than they are, but they are also in class going on trips and other things with kids who are much younger than they are....Why in the world would you want to have a child who is 20 years old graduating high school?
buttcrack

London, KY

#4 Nov 3, 2011
why is it ur business its there kids.
wow

Harlan, KY

#5 Nov 3, 2011
all the schools have dune it so why start complaining now..
Me Me

Somerset, KY

#6 Nov 4, 2011
If kids go to school early then I think it is ok to hold them back. You can only hold back if you a certain age and only like one or two times,you cant go over that. It is good for the kids to play sports and hold back I think. It may help them get into a college by playing ball, and they get more experiance. Every school in the county does it, not just evarts. 4 out of 5 of Rosspoint girls 7th and 8th grade was hold backs. Evarts had a few and so does most of the other schools. And now days the way the test scores are in the county schools it does not hurt them to hold back, they need it.
retiredteacher

Somerset, KY

#7 Nov 5, 2011
Wondering1974 wrote:
Ok people...what's the deal with people holding their kids back a year in school, just to play sports? What are you teaching your kids about life? So, a 6th grader that is 14 years old plays with kids that are 11 & 12 years old can score more points. Later in life when they have a job, what will they know to do? We are supposed to teach them to strive to be better and work hard to succeed in life, well you can teach them that for sports as well. I know this is going to make a few people mad, but I would like to know the reasons why.
IMsorry, but we do not hold kids back just for sports, if your child get's held back it's for 2 reason's.1- the child isn't doing good in school.......2- their might be some slow learning issues. so no it isn't sports we have too many children who excel in the sports academic field.
SFA

Macon, GA

#8 Nov 5, 2011
retiredteacher wrote:
<quoted text>IMsorry, but we do not hold kids back just for sports, if your child get's held back it's for 2 reason's.1- the child isn't doing good in school.......2- their might be some slow learning issues. so no it isn't sports we have too many children who excel in the sports academic field.
You are completely wrong here. I know of plenty that have been held back for sports(these were honor roll kids). I know of some children that have been held back because of maturity reasons. Some parents don't feel that their child is ready for high school. Some children start kindergarten and they are immature compared to the other kids in class when they are in 8th grade. This is especially important at that age with boys. It is important to think about when a boy isn't physically mature. I think the parent and teacher/principal should have a meeting to decide what is best for the child.
disagree

Jonesville, VA

#9 Nov 7, 2011
I think that kids sports teams should be divided by age. I don't think it's fair to let a child who is 2,3,4 years older or whatever play on a team with the younger kids. This kid is no star,he has an unfair advantage. Often he gets the ball and alot more play time so the younger team members are suffering. If they want their child to have an advantage then send them to a ball camp during the summer or parents work with them. If a child is held back it should be for a legitimate reason. Schools forget that they are there to give each child an education not this nonsense.
sports mom

Mount Vernon, KY

#10 Nov 7, 2011
i don't see anything wrong with it as long as the child age is involved i don't want my child to be 16 a senior and turning 17 in december yes they are alot of holdbacks for sports but it just isnt evarts new harlan is nothing but holdbacks why do you think they are so good.
wow

Harlan, KY

#11 Nov 8, 2011
i think its great. i don't won't my child turning 17 when he graduates and no one complain before. i guess some people are just jealous cause they held their kids baCK TO win and now that their other kids are getting the crap beat out of them they get mad.. get over it.. its life..
wow

Harlan, KY

#12 Nov 8, 2011
SFA wrote:
<quoted text>
You are completely wrong here. I know of plenty that have been held back for sports(these were honor roll kids). I know of some children that have been held back because of maturity reasons. Some parents don't feel that their child is ready for high school. Some children start kindergarten and they are immature compared to the other kids in class when they are in 8th grade. This is especially important at that age with boys. It is important to think about when a boy isn't physically mature. I think the parent and teacher/principal should have a meeting to decide what is best for the child.
no your wrong some kids mature faster than others.. i held my kid back because of that so get your facts straight..
Yea Right

Campbellsville, KY

#13 Nov 8, 2011
Can not name one child from this county playing in NBA. Send them on and let the kids that are in their right grades play. Evarts Principle even held her grandson back for basketball what kind of example is that?? Please people get a life and stop trying to live through your kids, they are not that good if they have to be held back to win over children younger then themself. The County Board should put a stop to this and before you say you are jealous because your child is not playing I have no child in the Elementary School.
wow

Harlan, KY

#14 Nov 9, 2011
Yea Right wrote:
Can not name one child from this county playing in NBA. Send them on and let the kids that are in their right grades play. Evarts Principle even held her grandson back for basketball what kind of example is that?? Please people get a life and stop trying to live through your kids, they are not that good if they have to be held back to win over children younger then themself. The County Board should put a stop to this and before you say you are jealous because your child is not playing I have no child in the Elementary School.
well then wats it to u?? people can do what they like and if u don't like it get over it. i think its great
Yea Right

Somerset, KY

#15 Nov 10, 2011
Probably because you are one of those that held thier child back for sports.
hmm

Harlan, KY

#16 Nov 10, 2011
i know of evarts got hold backs on their 5 &6 and one of the kids is almost 14 now thats pretty bad lol
to the tax payer

Crossett, AR

#17 Nov 11, 2011
do you tax payers realize that you are all paying for another year worth of education (about $6000)for these hold backs? not to mention they are taking away a spot for another kid to play sports? selfishness!!!
disagree

Jonesville, VA

#18 Nov 11, 2011
Over here they do the same but per pupil expenditure is over 11,000.00 at last I noted. Probably over 12,000.00 by now in tax payers' money.
disagree

Jonesville, VA

#19 Nov 11, 2011
And that's just the average per student. The kids playing sports are getting more spent on them.
disagree

Jonesville, VA

#20 Nov 11, 2011
Of coarse all that money is not getting spent DIRECTLY on the students.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evarts Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
***Icnoptnthis Another Word Game (Add -Drop)*** 22 hr Princess Hey 121
Scott and china Sat Help dont hinder 4
Music Thread!! (Sep '11) Sat --IslandGurL-- 499
Can Evarts Water Bleach you Colon Fri bleach lover 2
Carpenter Fri worker 8
paris cowboy=music Thu texas pete 14
Add a word=Drop a word (Aug '10) Jul 20 Princess Hey 6,183

Evarts Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Evarts Mortgages