Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Feb 10, 2013
Anon

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Feb 9, 2013
 
Okay, so we all know college is a money making business - ESPECIALLY in America. Even with that said I am still pissed at the way colleges treat students. So I am a member of a organization on campus & being a senior I come out and speak to underclassmen and go to different events where I recruit and what I have found is, these kids have no idea what they are doing.

I get so frustrated talking to students in their 2nd and 3rd year of college in a major they still don't know anything about and have no idea what they plan to do with their degree once they graduate.

I was at a particular recruiting event over the fall where I spoke to far too many 'sociology','liberal arts' and 'psychology' that have no idea what to do with their degree. They are just going to school to go. I spoke to 3 different young girls that were psychology majors and wanted to be therapist but had no idea that they had to have at least a masters degree in social work, psychology or counseling to be in that field, keep in mind two if them were in their 3rd year. When I explained this to them it blew their mind, like it was the first time they were hearing that.

I blame part of this on the students because they need to do their own research, but also part of this on the schools. Why aren't advisers doing better jobs advising?

If you don't know what you want / at least have a slight idea what you want to do with your life start off at community college where you wont be racking up a crazy amount of debt, don't transfer to a university until you have a plan.

I think I was lucky, both of my parents are very educated and they knew how to get me ready for college, they didn't play that switching your majors around stuff after freshmen year (where all you take is your general course work anyways), also they broke it down to me when I wanted to do a certain major that was not marketable. My thing is there needs to be people that are talking to those entering college, like maybe during orientation week, to give kids the low down . Its now become the norm for it to take atleast 5 years to graduate ( compared to the market 4yrs)(mostly because kids are switching their majors up every other week not knowing what they want, not taking it serious and partying too much ), people are now coming out of college with so much debt and a limited job market at that....

Not only that but then people are going off and getting Master degrees that they can't afford with no experience and now mad because they have all that good education but cant get a job

Of course the colleges arent telling kids " by the way there are no real jobs specifically for a liberal arts degree" or " yeah your in psychology but you have 2.5 gpa and it doesn't look like your going to be able to get into grad school you might want to switch to a more marketable major"

Theres really no reason to this thread lol.Im just sick and ranting.
kat

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Feb 9, 2013
 
good post, so what major did you graduate with?
hmm

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 9, 2013
 
Anon wrote:
Okay, so we all know college is a money making business - ESPECIALLY in America. Even with that said I am still pissed at the way colleges treat students. So I am a member of a organization on campus & being a senior I come out and speak to underclassmen and go to different events where I recruit and what I have found is, these kids have no idea what they are doing.

I get so frustrated talking to students in their 2nd and 3rd year of college in a major they still don't know anything about and have no idea what they plan to do with their degree once they graduate.

I was at a particular recruiting event over the fall where I spoke to far too many 'sociology','liberal arts' and 'psychology' that have no idea what to do with their degree. They are just going to school to go. I spoke to 3 different young girls that were psychology majors and wanted to be therapist but had no idea that they had to have at least a masters degree in social work, psychology or counseling to be in that field, keep in mind two if them were in their 3rd year. When I explained this to them it blew their mind, like it was the first time they were hearing that.

I blame part of this on the students because they need to do their own research, but also part of this on the schools. Why aren't advisers doing better jobs advising?

If you don't know what you want / at least have a slight idea what you want to do with your life start off at community college where you wont be racking up a crazy amount of debt, don't transfer to a university until you have a plan.

I think I was lucky, both of my parents are very educated and they knew how to get me ready for college, they didn't play that switching your majors around stuff after freshmen year (where all you take is your general course work anyways), also they broke it down to me when I wanted to do a certain major that was not marketable. My thing is there needs to be people that are talking to those entering college, like maybe during orientation week, to give kids the low down . Its now become the norm for it to take atleast 5 years to graduate ( compared to the market 4yrs)(mostly because kids are switching their majors up every other week not knowing what they want, not taking it serious and partying too much ), people are now coming out of college with so much debt and a limited job market at that....

Not only that but then people are going off and getting Master degrees that they can't afford with no experience and now mad because they have all that good education but cant get a job

Of course the colleges arent telling kids " by the way there are no real jobs specifically for a liberal arts degree" or " yeah your in psychology but you have 2.5 gpa and it doesn't look like your going to be able to get into grad school you might want to switch to a more marketable major"

Theres really no reason to this thread lol.Im just sick and ranting.
I completely agree! I was lucky to have parents like yours and that I have. Major that allows me to go into many different areas of practice. I'm currently in grad school for a clinical social work degree and will graduate in July at 23 and I see people all the time bailing on their major in their junior senior year.... I hate the pressure society puts on 18 year olds to decide what they want their life to be 40 years from now! At 18 I just wanted a nice car and a social life!
Anon

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 9, 2013
 
kat wrote:
good post, so what major did you graduate with?
Thanks. Graduating with a BSW- Bachelors of Social Work. Already have my job lined up, and will be getting my masters eventually.
Kim B

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 9, 2013
 
@Anon
I agree with your point that students should do the community college route and transfer - to this day, I kick myself in the butt for not doing that. I see your point about marketable majors as well, but some people want to follow their hearts instead of going the marketable, money-making route. My friend was an art major and she currently works at a gallery. She isn't making crazy money at all, anticipated that, but she's very happy. I think it's important to educate students about what their options are if they chose x major, but I also think students shouldn't be pressured to follow where the money is. I was a Bio major, planned to go the Biotech route, and a little bit after working at a biotech company after graduation, I was ready to claw my eyes out even though I was making way more money than my friends. I changed jobs (stayed in the science field though), and went back to school to study public health. I am so glad I made that decision because 1) it's where I see my life going, and 2) I work for a university and it's free.

On another note, I think there's way too much pressure put on college students to map out their life by 21. I felt that pressure and made mistakes along the way because I was resisting following my heart and was just thinking about dollar signs. I thought about my life a lot at one point and finally decided that I was not going to a 50 year old woman who makes a major career change because I was too scared at 21, 22 to do what I really wanted to do.
lolz

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Feb 9, 2013
 
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks. Graduating with a BSW- Bachelors of Social Work. Already have my job lined up, and will be getting my masters eventually.
BSW - great degree great field no money tho. Best job for a BSW is DCS, they start at 32.5. That's the best you're gonna do fresh out of school with a BSW.
Anon

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 9, 2013
 
Kim B wrote:
@Anon
I agree with your point that students should do the community college route and transfer - to this day, I kick myself in the butt for not doing that. I see your point about marketable majors as well, but some people want to follow their hearts instead of going the marketable, money-making route. My friend was an art major and she currently works at a gallery. She isn't making crazy money at all, anticipated that, but she's very happy. I think it's important to educate students about what their options are if they chose x major, but I also think students shouldn't be pressured to follow where the money is. I was a Bio major, planned to go the Biotech route, and a little bit after working at a biotech company after graduation, I was ready to claw my eyes out even though I was making way more money than my friends. I changed jobs (stayed in the science field though), and went back to school to study public health. I am so glad I made that decision because 1) it's where I see my life going, and 2) I work for a university and it's free.
On another note, I think there's way too much pressure put on college students to map out their life by 21. I felt that pressure and made mistakes along the way because I was resisting following my heart and was just thinking about dollar signs. I thought about my life a lot at one point and finally decided that I was not going to a 50 year old woman who makes a major career change because I was too scared at 21, 22 to do what I really wanted to do.
I agree with you. I didnt mean that advisers should tell kids ' hey you aint going to make much money in this degree i suggest you switch" . I meant I think they should be more clear to those who really don't know what they are doing and are trying to take the easy route.

It is kind of cliche that a Sociology/ Criminology (though this one is fairly marketable) and Liberal Arts degree
are basically kind of 'easy' degrees. So alot of the times, what I see is folk who really don't know what they want to do just go with the easy degree, not knowing that yeah... ok now you have a degree .... it was easy...but you can't find a job with it. nor is it your passion.

If its someones passion, regardless of the money I say go for it ( Trust me I'm doing social work...and it is def NOT for the money...) but I meant it more for those who really don't know what they are doing. Or who aren't making the grades for their degree. I had a former friend who wanted to be a doctor but had a 2.4 GPA.

Her adviser kept her on the "pre-med" track for 3 years knowing darn well she didn't have the credentials to make it into Med school. She is now in a whole new major and even though she should have been graduating this year she is now only credit wise a sophomore in her new major.
Me2U

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Feb 9, 2013
 
Those art degrees , music degrees, psychology , and sociology degrees are a waste of time and money IMO.
Patriot

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 9, 2013
 
You forgot to mention the liberal indoctrination at these schools. That indoctrination includes it is okay to piss away all that money that you will never get back because you can be a government dependent, that votes liberal.
Maybe if the professors at USI gave up the drugs for a little bit, they would have a rational thought.
BeepBeepMuthaFuk a

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 9, 2013
 
Patriot wrote:
You forgot to mention the liberal indoctrination at these schools. That indoctrination includes it is okay to piss away all that money that you will never get back because you can be a government dependent, that votes liberal.
Maybe if the professors at USI gave up the drugs for a little bit, they would have a rational thought.
An education may have made you a more logical thinker. Let Fox News know they did a good job with you.
troof

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 10, 2013
 
I became a fornicator during college. It was the most logical way to find a wife.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

120 Users are viewing the Evansville Forum right now

Search the Evansville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Child support 13 min Support 14
Amber Dillman 22 min Stupid 3
how important is it to a guy? 22 min yup 2
think im prego by von gutta 25 min time out 9
Mariah mayhugh 26 min mmmmmmm 22
Von Gutta was in the KKK 34 min lmao 5
White boys that love Black girls (Jun '13) 39 min Lllyrick 410
shut down Sara best daycare 1 hr funny 51
•••
•••
•••
•••

Evansville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Evansville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Evansville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Evansville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••