Is it possible to live on minimum wage?

Is it possible to live on minimum wage?

There are 34 comments on the Evansville Courier & Press story from Apr 19, 2014, titled Is it possible to live on minimum wage?. In it, Evansville Courier & Press reports that:

How do people in Evansville survive off minimum wage? This story will detail the lifestyles - and budgets - of people who earn minimum wage in Evansville.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evansville Courier & Press.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jinn

United States

#1 Apr 21, 2014
It's a sad world when she is on the front page of the newspaper and forgot to mention her weekly treatment she pays to get her methadone.. It's obviously understandable you can't live off minimum wage but she is on this front paper writing her expenses and bills and she goes to the methadone clinic..
That's a few dollars a week she forgot so I don't feel sorry for her
Hmmmmm

Crestwood, KY

#2 Apr 21, 2014
Please define, "live."

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#3 Apr 21, 2014
Really you broke bitches. It's not supposed to be the wage you live off of, cut your spending get a second job or god forbid you learn a marketable skill or trade.
lil red riding hood

United States

#4 Apr 21, 2014
If its not the wage your supposed to live off of then what is ? I wish all you well off ppl would have to live on min wage then maybe you could understand what it feels like to work for what? A choice between paying rent or elec and food. Which would you pay? Rent or food ? A roof over your head and go hungry ? Or eat everyday maybe every other day and have a possible eviction notice ? Some ppl dont have resources or decent transportation. I notice the only ones who insult poor ppl are the ones who obviously have never had to choose between rent and food. If that girl is paying for methadone and dont really need it then i dont feel sorry for her either. Alot of ppl abuse that just to get high; if they want to waste their $ on a legal high then whatever. I hate how you high and mighty ppl have all the answers for poor ppl but you have not walked in their shoes. I hope because of your ( im better than you ) attitudes you do walk in a poor persons shoes. You have no idea how quick you can lose what you have. Good luck to you ppl who laugh and insult poor ppl. What comes around goes around my freind!!!
Tripple OG

United States

#5 Apr 21, 2014
Got put your hard hat on! It's cold world we live show make sure you dress warm! Two jobs a covance study will put you up on your feet quick,closed mouth don't get feed hit yards sale turn around and sell them items on eBay for more money gotta have all kinds of hustle to survive!!
imakeit

Mount Washington, KY

#6 Apr 21, 2014
It's all about budgeting and not having extra mouths to feed that you cannot afford. It cracks me up how someone will have several kids and want people to feel sorry for them because they can't feed them without assistance. I limited myself to 1 kid. Try that. I, of course, don't live on minimum wage anymore, but it can be done if you don't have to have champagne on a beer budget.
Damn

Jasper, IN

#7 Apr 21, 2014
First, everyone is where they are because of decisions they have made in their life.
Second, minimum wage jobs are jobs that high school or college students should be working. Fast food, retail and entry level positions. These jobs aren't meant for someone to provide for a family off of. I have been poor, even when I made more than minimum wage. Being poor doesn't mean you can't get ahead. Look for training programs to learn a skill that can get you ahead in life. Take advantage of food stamps and section 8 housing while you are learning and getting ahead. Ride the bus to where you need to get to. Stop blaming things other than yourself. Get up, get out and get something!
imakeit

Mount Washington, KY

#8 Apr 21, 2014
Damn wrote:
First, everyone is where they are because of decisions they have made in their life.
Second, minimum wage jobs are jobs that high school or college students should be working. Fast food, retail and entry level positions. These jobs aren't meant for someone to provide for a family off of. I have been poor, even when I made more than minimum wage. Being poor doesn't mean you can't get ahead. Look for training programs to learn a skill that can get you ahead in life. Take advantage of food stamps and section 8 housing while you are learning and getting ahead. Ride the bus to where you need to get to. Stop blaming things other than yourself. Get up, get out and get something!
Take advantage?? Aren't there enough people taking advantage now?? If you use assistance, you are not living off minimum wage. It is not the government's fault if you choose not to get an education, have a bunch of kids, or put yourself in circumstances that keep you from getting ahead. More working, less assistance. Tired of busting my a&& for non working people or people who made bad decisions and messed up their life. ugh

Location hidden

#9 Apr 21, 2014
It's simple. Whether you have wealth or not, or the the system fails you. Do not fail yourself.
Newburgh, IN

#10 Apr 21, 2014
yes its hard but it can be done, I lived off minimum wage when I was younger, raising two children with no government assistance, all my bills were paid, and children were taken care of, but no money remained in my pocket!its hard as hell but can be done when you learn how to budget every dime, I am very thankful that I have came a long way and furthered my education and skill level, but also thankful, for it was the hard times that made me the strong woman I am today! Also yes If your one of the uppity people on here that have never struggled (you never know your true strength until your weakest moment!) so don't be so quick to judge people that are down on their luck, because God forbid your world comes crashing down due to a medical issue or whatever else and the tables are turned!
ping

Louisville, KY

#11 Apr 21, 2014
Captain Batman wrote:
It's simple. Whether you have wealth or not, or the the system fails you. Do not fail yourself.
that's a pretty good saying
be Strong

Louisville, KY

#12 Apr 21, 2014
Karma wrote:
yes its hard but it can be done, I lived off minimum wage when I was younger, raising two children with no government assistance, all my bills were paid, and children were taken care of, but no money remained in my pocket!its hard as hell but can be done when you learn how to budget every dime, I am very thankful that I have came a long way and furthered my education and skill level, but also thankful, for it was the hard times that made me the strong woman I am today! Also yes If your one of the uppity people on here that have never struggled (you never know your true strength until your weakest moment!) so don't be so quick to judge people that are down on their luck, because God forbid your world comes crashing down due to a medical issue or whatever else and the tables are turned!
just wondering maybe if I could get a first name your post sounds like someone I know
lil red riding hood

United States

#13 Apr 21, 2014
To karma i agree with you. I can see some points in all the comments. But what about the ppl who have a criminal record ? I understand not hiring some because of record but at the same time; they did their time.paid their debt to society and they still have to pay for it . Do felons deserve to go hungry because of their crime ? No foodstamps for them. And jobs. Some get lucky with a decent job but what about the majority of them ? The government makes sure they keep on and keep on paying for their crime. Starve; no work; no affordable housing. Those poor bastards might as well keep on committing crimes. I am not a felon but have 1 misdemeanor and that stopped me from getting a few jobs. I understand we all have to better ourselves to better our lives but there are ppl who cant. They dont have mind to do it. Some ppl dont want to. You shouldnt blame somone because they are poor. Yes alot of ppl are poor because that is where they want to stay. But not all. And if you had a min wage job got foodstamps medical whatever else you could make it but what if you got a 50 cent raise ? There goes half or most foodstamps plus medical . Is the 50 cent raise worth it ? Ppl who work at wal-mart in florida( really all over u.s.) only make min wage . Thank god they were able to get f.s. to feed children and medical cov. You lose benifits if you make 50 cents above their level. My friend works at berry. She lost all benifits because she was 4.00 over the limit. 4.00!!! Thank god she has a caring family who helps her out. Im just sick of ppl telling the poor ppl how to make it by insulting them.one day we will be all in the same boat and oh yeah im strong enough to indure it. Done it before and prob have to do it again sometime. Yes it does make you stronger!
America Lost

Paris, TN

#14 Apr 21, 2014
Minimum wage was not intended to be a living wage; but companies are being forced to pay this for jobs which it was never intended.

This is only a problem because the liberals and progressives have regulated and taxed the jobs out of this country. Liberals and progressive have destroyed Living wage jobs. By forcing 2-bit jobs to pay more, even more jobs and businesses are evaporating.

I own a business with some friends. We occasionally contract work out but the environment has made it impossible to hire anyone. 20 years ago under similar circumstances we would be paying someone in high school part time to sweep, clean up, we would have at least one apprentice learning the ropes and probably 2 full time employees on living wages.

Instead, as business owners we work our behinds off and a lot of stuff like cleaning does not get done. It is a different world and the minimum wage is but one of many reasons brought to you by the liberals to ensure this country goes to hell the same as Detroit!

Where liberals and progressives have taken this country, we will never go back. Our future is a dim one with a world full of people ready to take us down and we have made it easy for them.

I feel sorry for the children of this nation; it is truly a nation in decline; declining freedoms, declining opportunity! Thanks to liberal progressives (both democrat AND Republican) and there is no light at the end of this tunnel!
America Lost

Paris, TN

#15 Apr 21, 2014
We have been lied to about so many things in which the effects will eventually bury us!

1. Unemployment numbers altered to make ti look good when nothing has changed.
2. Inflation shown to be 1-2% but when calculated the same as 10 years ago is over 10%.
3. Spying, land grabs, government strong arming at an all time high. Freedoms at an all time low.

National debt in the obama administration accumulating more debt then ALL PRESIDENTS BEFORE HIM ---COMBINED----!!!!!!

This does not even begin to address the wall street bubble....If you thought the housing bubble forced on us by the Democrats was bad, wait till we reap the effects of the stock market bubble!!!!

Our GDP around 1 trillion dollars a year! That is how much we spend a year.....except for the money we put into the stock market. It's been doing good right? Must mean the economy is doing good right?

The government has been pumping about 1 TRILLION dollars a year into the stock market! This is not even printed money, this is just numbers changed on a spreadsheet!!!!!!!!! This money is NOT ON THE BOOKS!!!!!

Our government creates as much money as the GDP!!!! And it is not registered in our debt!!!!!!

Who gains form this? If you play Monopoly and everyone has an equal amount of money, and say a hotel can be bought for $100 then one player pays HIMSELF half again in total what everyone else has, then the motel suddenly becomes $200 and your $100 is worth half of what it was.

The government is a player like everyone else. When it pays itself under the table and funds Wall Street with fake money, who makes out?

1. The government makes out
2. Fat cats on Wall street get wealthy

You and I just found it harder to get by on the money in our pocket!

AND THAT my friends is THEFT!!! It is just one more way the government is STEALING form you and me!!!!!!

NOW...after all this theft the income divide between the wealthy and the poor is expanding at a record rate! Never before, thanks to liberal progressives, the poor are the poorest they have ever been and the wealthy are the wealthiest they have ever been with the divide growing at record rates.

Can't get much worse? Well folks, this is just the beginning. When the Democratic stock market bubble burst like the Democratic housing market bubble did, the effects will be a market and world destabilization like you have never seen.

So go ahead and cry about what someone owes you, force the minimum wage up, help one person while 3 more get let go and more business collapse.

Our fathers did not seek out the United States, they sought out a country of freedom. Our founding fathers would be leaving this country in search for freedom again.

Many of us are looking at moving to other countries of freedom and taking our wealth with us before it is confiscated by our government!
America Lost

Paris, TN

#16 Apr 21, 2014
One more thing, when the people in the back of the classroom throwing spit balls and torching the rest of us....now crying abut what they are owed......

LOL...To freaking bad! I could care less!
Employer

United States

#17 Apr 21, 2014
I employee 13 part time people who make min wage. Some people work hard and become full time Some of the people aren't worth min wage. They have bad work habits , call off every chance they get, late for work. I also love it when someone begs for more hours but then when they get it , they call in. The people who stay in min wage jobs are people that just aren't good employees. If you have been at min for a long time take a step back and ask yourself why. Why do employers not want to give you a chance. If you are honest you will see.

Location hidden

#18 Apr 21, 2014
ping wrote:
<quoted text>that's a pretty good saying
CAPTAIN BATMAN stole it from a Scroobius Pip song.
imakeit

Mount Washington, KY

#19 Apr 21, 2014
Karma wrote:
If you have a medical or mental issue, I have no issue with you getting assistance. I have issues with lazy, useless, people who keep repeating the same mistakes. Like having another baby while on assistance. Why? If you can't afford one, why do you need 2, 3, 4, and.........? You can live off minimum wage if you supplement your income with a paper route, another parttime job, etc. I worked my a$$ off of assistance and I have been gainfully employed for 15 yrs. Plus, I am a convicted felon. NO EXCUSES!! We can't all hold out for management like cousin "Eddie."
Berry

Henderson, KY

#20 Apr 21, 2014
Berry Plastics is hiring!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evansville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bjay 13 min Wow 8
Can whites start taking down every MLK statue a... 23 min Readabook 85
Sarah Yates 26 min Supergirl 89
Craigiekins 27 min Lolapalooza 1
Terri axton (marrs) papers are filed! 1 hr Satisfied customer 3
Kelly thiel 1 hr friend 5
Jason Miller 1 hr Interested 10
Eclipse is overrated!!!! 5 hr My eyes burn 7

Evansville Jobs

More from around the web