Witness says he saw missing Iowa girl...

Witness says he saw missing Iowa girls after their disappearance

There are 479 comments on the KWQC-TV Davenport story from Jul 17, 2012, titled Witness says he saw missing Iowa girls after their disappearance. In it, KWQC-TV Davenport reports that:

An Evansdale resident told The Des Moines Register Tuesday morning that he saw Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Morrissey ride their bikes past his house Friday afternoon.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KWQC-TV Davenport.

King George

Seymour, IN

#86 Jul 23, 2012
hmm wrote:
Couldn't get the last three links to provide information. One would not load at all..tell us what it said...very interesting reading these posts, and you could be on to something as is the police! I think they are on to something also but can't share because it would hurt their investigation.
These are two posts from the comments section of the ABC news. Both posts were made by the same poster on July 22, 2012.

"Authorities need to question the woman they rescued from attempted suicide near the lake a few days after these girl's disappearence. Word is passing around town that some teenage girls had a scary run-in with this woman,who they described as wigged out and crying. They stated she kept asking for thier flip-flops ands other items and just wouldn't leave until they finally gave her something. She was babbling on about knowing what happened and who was invloved. My son relayed this information to me after these girls told him what happened. Sounds like a drug debt had something to do with this whole ordeal. Truth will be coming out here soon if this woman is questioned."

"I live about 5 miles from where this incident took place. This is not a largely populated area. Word of mouth travels quicker than what the media can slap on the air. Don't be surprised if the truth comes out here really soon. It will definitely have something to do with drugs, family and debt. If the media wants to get information on this , then I advise them to contact the woman that authorities rescued from trying to commit suicide in the lake a few days after the disappearance of these girls. This lady knows something about these girls disappearance. Some teenage girls had a scary run-in with this lady and stated that she was drunk or high and babbling on about her knowing what happened to these girls."
King George

Seymour, IN

#87 Jul 23, 2012
hmm wrote:
Couldn't get the last three links to provide information. One would not load at all..tell us what it said...very interesting reading these posts, and you could be on to something as is the police! I think they are on to something also but can't share because it would hurt their investigation.
Here is the article that I found in the WCF Courier. This story was posted on Friday, July 20, 2012.

"Woman threatening suicide pulled from river"
"EVANSDALE, Iowa ó Evansdale firefighters pulled a woman from the Cedar River in Evansdale Thursday night.

Crews were called about a woman threatening suicide shortly before midnight in the area of River Forest Road. The woman was pulled to safety and taken to a local hospital for evaluation, Evansdale authorities said.

Authorities said the incident wasnít related to the ongoing missing persons case."

Read More: http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/woman-threat...
gobbledygook

Flatwoods, KY

#88 Jul 24, 2012
If these girls have been abducted by a stranger, what does that mean for the safety of the other children in the area? I hope the FBI has asked every homeowner on the route that the children would have most likely taken for permission to have a look inside their homes and @ their property. Mrs. Carpenter says that the girls were very friendly, stopping to speak with people on their way.
King George

Seymour, IN

#89 Jul 24, 2012
Things that make you go HMMMM?

Misty said that the polygraph tests "were stressful for her since she has anxiety disorder, which made it hard to stay calm."
http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/mom-of-missing...

I haven't noticed that she's seemed too stressed about her daughter missing.
She won't even wear the pink shirt.
What the hell is wrong with this woman?
IDK

Wichita Falls, TX

#90 Jul 24, 2012
The timeline still does not jive. Girls leave home at 11:30 according to G/M, seen on video downtown at 12:15p (verified) and bikes abandoned at lake found by the bicycler at 12:27pm. So 12 minutes between the video of them downtown and the bicycler finding abandoned bicycles at 12:27...how can that be? The dogs could have picked up their scents from previous visits to the lake. Remember, the man watering his lawn said he sees them all the time. So they have been by his neighborhood before. I don't think Lyric was meeting a boy. I do believe their bicycles were staged. How do you take two little girls without a fight? Unless there is more than one person? The media reported earlier that the purse was fine. Meaning, no sign of struggle. So someone took her purse and threw it over the fence. The entire family has been adamant from the beginning that those girls were abducted. They have said "a trap" and pointed out areas they probably were abducted from. They insisted they were not in the lake all along. How did they know that? The dog picked up the scent at the waters edge, I can see how the PD would think they might be in the that lake, but not the family. They insist they were abducted. If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#91 Jul 24, 2012
IDK wrote:
The timeline still does not jive. Girls leave home at 11:30 according to G/M, seen on video downtown at 12:15p (verified) and bikes abandoned at lake found by the bicycler at 12:27pm. So 12 minutes between the video of them downtown and the bicycler finding abandoned bicycles at 12:27...how can that be? The dogs could have picked up their scents from previous visits to the lake. Remember, the man watering his lawn said he sees them all the time. So they have been by his neighborhood before. I don't think Lyric was meeting a boy. I do believe their bicycles were staged. How do you take two little girls without a fight? Unless there is more than one person? The media reported earlier that the purse was fine. Meaning, no sign of struggle. So someone took her purse and threw it over the fence. The entire family has been adamant from the beginning that those girls were abducted. They have said "a trap" and pointed out areas they probably were abducted from. They insisted they were not in the lake all along. How did they know that? The dog picked up the scent at the waters edge, I can see how the PD would think they might be in the that lake, but not the family. They insist they were abducted. If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.
This timeline is as close as I can get it. It does sound real tight for an unknown abductor. Almost impossible to me. A known abductor, yes indeed. I agree with you on all said about the family. Misty is now saying she took the polygraph again and passed it. It was inconclusive, she said of the first one, due to being nervous or something. If she knew anything about a polygraph she wouldnít have taken it as another poster stated. If she is nervous or not, does not determine truth or lie. Iíve had thoughts while looking at the google map if the girls are in the long river that goes and goes. LE can say they have reason to believe they are alive, while we havenít heard anything as to why they believe it. I still have to stay on family right now because of the timeline and knowledge the family knows. If LE believes they are still alive, Iíd bet they got that belief based on these two parents backgrounds and what meth addits have been known to do, rather than a parent who just doesnít want their child anymore and dumps it dead in some godforsaken place.

Since: Dec 11

United States

#92 Jul 25, 2012
I don't care what she says about the polygraphs, that woman knows something. Have LE actually cleared them?

Location hidden

#93 Jul 25, 2012
BlondeMN wrote:
I don't care what she says about the polygraphs, that woman knows something. Have LE actually cleared them?
I haven't read that Misty and Dan have been cleared. I did hear one LE say they are not considered suspects and everyone is suspect until it is solved. I've narrowed it down to: Lyric met a man who could give her and Elizabeth a better life and are far away somewhere. They were thrown in the river and have now flowed miles away. Sold in the slave trafficking world for whatever that business is. Whisked away quickly from what we know of the timeline. I canít even imagine at this point who did this. The variables are many.
gobbledygook

Flatwoods, KY

#94 Jul 25, 2012
It almost seems as if Mr Carpenter has to be mistaken as to the day he saw them...12 minutes to ride from the alley to the lake path and be taken. Either the perp followed them from someplace on their route or he (they) was,were parked at that pull off when the girls laid their bikes down-and convinced them to come with them, or get close enough to a car trunk or van outfitted so they couldn't escape when pushed in. Maybe hold a weapon to the little one after grabbing her, and threatening to do her harm would make Lyric do as he said? There are 2 sex offenders (child molesters) on Marshall ...looks like they are neighbors, right where the girls might have been riding to the lake. I hope they have checked them out completely. LE could ask the carpenters if they would be hypnotised too. Maybe they could remember seeing a vehicle @ the time the girls went by?
King George

Seymour, IN

#95 Jul 26, 2012
TALKMAN wrote:
<quoted text>I haven't read that Misty and Dan have been cleared. I did hear one LE say they are not considered suspects and everyone is suspect until it is solved. I've narrowed it down to: Lyric met a man who could give her and Elizabeth a better life and are far away somewhere. They were thrown in the river and have now flowed miles away. Sold in the slave trafficking world for whatever that business is. Whisked away quickly from what we know of the timeline. I canít even imagine at this point who did this. The variables are many.
I'm definitely not disagreeing with you. Just wondering what information led you to this conclusion?

Location hidden

#96 Jul 26, 2012
King George wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm definitely not disagreeing with you. Just wondering what information led you to this conclusion?
Nothing more than the lake being pumped for fear, while the long river is close to it plus another lake. Children are killed different ways. I've read some about trafficking children to teenage girls for slaves. I'm as stumped on what happened to these girls as LE is, and suspect every pedophile around that area, family, friends, neighbors until it is solved.

Location hidden

#97 Jul 26, 2012
King George wrote:
<quoted text>
Because of the tight timeline I've figured on, with what people say the know, it sounds like one who knows them. I saw on the google map on Lafayette, where the girls are thought to be caught on camera, the river looks like it is very close to the road. The fact that children go missing every day here in America by the force of an adult, whether it be by family or stranger is horrible for starters, to know the ways they are killed and tossed like garbage is mindboggling to those it does not happen to.
King George

Seymour, IN

#98 Jul 26, 2012
TALKMAN wrote:
<quoted text>Because of the tight timeline I've figured on, with what people say the know, it sounds like one who knows them. I saw on the google map on Lafayette, where the girls are thought to be caught on camera, the river looks like it is very close to the road. The fact that children go missing every day here in America by the force of an adult, whether it be by family or stranger is horrible for starters, to know the ways they are killed and tossed like garbage is mindboggling to those it does not happen to.
I hadn't thought about the river being so close. Do you think they could have been put into a boat?
Here's a link to the actual video.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/25/miss...

Did you watch the interview with Carpenter and his wife? I remember you had mentioned that time frame of his sounding a bit odd. I left a link to it in an earlier post.
In the interview, he says that he was watering his lawn between 12 and (it sounds like he starts to say one), but, his wife quickly says 3. Then he agrees.

Location hidden

#99 Jul 26, 2012
King George....Did Carpenter see them on Lake Ave. headed toward Lake?

Location hidden

#100 Jul 26, 2012
King George wrote:
<quoted text>
I hadn't thought about the river being so close. Do you think they could have been put into a boat?
Here's a link to the actual video.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/25/miss...
Did you watch the interview with Carpenter and his wife? I remember you had mentioned that time frame of his sounding a bit odd. I left a link to it in an earlier post.
In the interview, he says that he was watering his lawn between 12 and (it sounds like he starts to say one), but, his wife quickly says 3. Then he agrees.
I watched the interview with the Carpenterís. I caught the 3, said by wife as she corrected him. Maybe, wife was not out there with hubby while he watered. Times we do things can be off when put to the test, while, he could be lying in seeing them at all. If he seen them, would it be after the 12:11 ( I saw time on video) camera view from near Lafeyette or before? Girls are riding bikes heading toward River Forest Road. RFR takes you to interstate. Cut back left on Gilbert Dr. and you reach entrance to Myers Lake, take trail around lake to where bikes are found. If the girls stayed straight on Gilbert and turned right on Lake Ave, they went toward back entrance to lake where grassy spot and shed is that Tammy talked about. The large area of woods is there over to the trail. Continue on Arbutus a short distance and a large grassy field is there to ride over to the trail, unless there is a fence. The long river runs along River Forest and cuts back a few blocks down.

Location hidden

#101 Jul 26, 2012
I don't think they were put in a boat. Where would they go? Put in a boat in the river? yes.

Location hidden

#102 Jul 26, 2012
King George wrote:
<quoted text>
From Brovan, where I think the 12:11 security camera is, there are between 9 or 11 blocks to travel. If they went River Forest and Lake Ave. to lake, it was faster. River Forest is a highway to and from the interstate. Iíll assume busy most of the day. If they cut thru several of the blocks it takes more time. By Carpenter saying he saw them on Lake Ave., they had to be going the back entrance to lake. Lake Ave. is just I block from lake. I would wonder why the girls did not go to lake via entrance and skip Lake Ave., if this was a joy ride to the lake. By being seen on Lake Ave. I think it is intentional by the girls to go to back entrance of lake (if there is one) maybe to meet someone. If not a back entrance, by it being called (a trap) by Dan, I canít figure it out. Iíll say 7 mins, from 12:11 view to ride to lake arriving at Lake Ave. near 12:18 or 19 and bikes being seen on trail 9 mins. later by biker who seen it earlier, while he makes call at 12:27 at the restroom area of the lake.
King George

Seymour, IN

#103 Jul 26, 2012
TALKMAN wrote:
<quoted text>From Brovan, where I think the 12:11 security camera is, there are between 9 or 11 blocks to travel. If they went River Forest and Lake Ave. to lake, it was faster. River Forest is a highway to and from the interstate. Iíll assume busy most of the day. If they cut thru several of the blocks it takes more time. By Carpenter saying he saw them on Lake Ave., they had to be going the back entrance to lake. Lake Ave. is just I block from lake. I would wonder why the girls did not go to lake via entrance and skip Lake Ave., if this was a joy ride to the lake. By being seen on Lake Ave. I think it is intentional by the girls to go to back entrance of lake (if there is one) maybe to meet someone. If not a back entrance, by it being called (a trap) by Dan, I canít figure it out. Iíll say 7 mins, from 12:11 view to ride to lake arriving at Lake Ave. near 12:18 or 19 and bikes being seen on trail 9 mins. later by biker who seen it earlier, while he makes call at 12:27 at the restroom area of the lake.
Thanks so much for the directions.
I saw that they could have come off of Lake, onto Evans. At the curve, Arbutus can be taken into the wooded area which would lead right to the area where the bikes were found.
There is a fence, but, Jim Spellman said there was a gate in that area that was open, and a large hole in the fence caused by a traffic accident. The way it was described, it sounded as if the hole was large enough for the girls to have gotten through with their bikes.

In the interview, Carpenter and his wife say that the girls had been riding by their house daily for quite some time - especially the one girl. They had to be referring to Elizabeth, since Lyric had only been riding by for the last week. They went on to explain that Elizabeth was so friendly, and talked to everyone.
IMO, they entered by the back entrance because, that was Elizabeth's regular routine. She'd been riding her bike down Lake Avenue and entering the lake via the back entrance nearly every day for a good while.
Surely, most of the people who lived along that route had seen her riding by at some point. Many of them had probably noticed that another girl had been with her for the last week.
I think these girls were taken by someone who had watched and tracked this regular route. When they decided to take the girls, they simply watched for them to ride by, then drove over to the lake to wait.

Location hidden

#104 Jul 27, 2012
King George wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks so much for the directions.
I saw that they could have come off of Lake, onto Evans. At the curve, Arbutus can be taken into the wooded area which would lead right to the area where the bikes were found.
There is a fence, but, Jim Spellman said there was a gate in that area that was open, and a large hole in the fence caused by a traffic accident. The way it was described, it sounded as if the hole was large enough for the girls to have gotten through with their bikes.
In the interview, Carpenter and his wife say that the girls had been riding by their house daily for quite some time - especially the one girl. They had to be referring to Elizabeth, since Lyric had only been riding by for the last week. They went on to explain that Elizabeth was so friendly, and talked to everyone.
IMO, they entered by the back entrance because, that was Elizabeth's regular routine. She'd been riding her bike down Lake Avenue and entering the lake via the back entrance nearly every day for a good while.
Surely, most of the people who lived along that route had seen her riding by at some point. Many of them had probably noticed that another girl had been with her for the last week.
I think these girls were taken by someone who had watched and tracked this regular route. When they decided to take the girls, they simply watched for them to ride by, then drove over to the lake to wait.
A good scenario you have. A neighbor sounds likely for observing in this manner and planning to take. A stranger staking out a neighborhood child for a few days or more could go unnoticed if people arenít observant of surroundings. With Carpenter saying that Elizabeth rides by a lot (seeing her alone) bothers me a lot since she is the 8 year old. With the aunt teaching both girls how to defend themselves if someone tries to take them bothers me even more. I may teach a child what to do, while I will also see that the child is never put in the position to be abducted by a stranger. Like money, we keep it in a billfold or purse, always under our watchful eye to see that no one takes it. We donít give someone the opportunity to take it because we know it will go missing if we do. Thatís how children should be though of.
Wonder

United States

#106 Jul 27, 2012
Ok, so now the Uncle, Jeremy Cook has attempted suicide by overdose, what is up with that Talkman? Would love to know your views.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evansdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tim Daman dead at 43 (Aug '13) Jun '15 s k sharma 39
Who was the girl that tried to commit suicide? (Jul '12) Feb '14 jinny 24
News Officials still investigating possible Dayton-E... (Jun '13) Sep '13 Wolfscratch Glenn... 9
News Hunters told to look for clues about missing Io... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Tee 3
News Judge won't give break to slain Iowa girl's mother (Dec '12) Feb '13 buddy1947 3
justice for the little angels (Dec '12) Dec '12 weary 1
News Authorities 'confident' bodies are 2 Iowa cousins (Dec '12) Dec '12 weary 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Evansdale Mortgages