Coyotes spotted in Morristown

Posted in the Eva Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
USAF Retired

Morristown, TN

#1 Feb 17, 2013
That's right ! An article in today's (Feb 17) Tribune has a photo of a coyote crossing the lawn at the County Courthouse in broad daylight. 20 years ago, when I first retired from the AF, I worked as the County Humane Officer for Hamblen County. Even back then we would get almost weekly calls for dog packs running free that wound up being coyote packs, usually a mother teaching her pups how to hunt and scavenge. According to the article they will attack and eat anything that is smaller than themselves so humans are not at risk unless they are cornered, injured, sick and unable to hunt, or just plain can't find any other food. Most of the calls we got back then were for roadkill needing to be picked up or injured animals needing to be dispatched and disposed of but I got several calls for them attacking and killing or injuring cats and small dogs. This time of year last years pups are branching out and establishing their own territories. So if you indoor/outdoor cats or small dogs take whatever measures you can to ensure they don't become a coyotes meal. If you do spot one do not try to capture it! These are wild animals and will defend themselves agressively. Do not leave your pets outside without adult human supervision. Above all call TWRA or the Humane Society and report it. Small children are rarely a target but the possibility exists so make sure they are actively supervised and watched when they are outside.
Tahoe Coyhote

Morristown, TN

#2 Feb 17, 2013
Our fathers hunted the coyhotes long before the white man came and brought his diseases.
Frente

Morristown, TN

#3 Feb 17, 2013
Coyotes have also been spotted in residential areas, around the Panther Creek area. They are considered to be scavengers, and yes, they can be dangerous if confronted.

Urp

“A Pigment of Imagination”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#4 Feb 17, 2013
The armadillo's arrive yet? See them a lot in west TN.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#5 Feb 17, 2013
I can hear them yelping and howling as a pack up here where I live.I usually hear them every couple of nights and their howls and yelps always prompts the neighborhood dogs to break into howls and yelps as a response.
averagejoe

Morristown, TN

#8 Feb 17, 2013
This is reported like it's NEWS. Coyotes have been here for years. I live in the city limits, and we deal with them on a daily basis. We may not see them every day, but we hear them, and we see the results of their scavenging every morning in our yard and our neighbors's yards. More than 1 pet in our neighborhood has disappeared, but no one really wonders why.
I suppose it is news to see them on the courthouse lawn though. Right out in the middle of town with people and traffic is a bit alarming. They are getting braver, and that is scary.
New in town

Morristown, TN

#9 Feb 18, 2013
Just moved to the Panther Creek area and have been hearing them for several nights. Just had one in the yard about ten minutes ago. The howl was loud enough to be right off the porch but I'm a wimp and couldn't look. We saw a fox in the neighbors' yard last week. I certainly don't mind the animals considering how close we are to the park, but I definitely think the neighborhood folks with kids and pets should be aware of them!
Inland Border Patrol

Greeneville, TN

#10 Feb 19, 2013
BREAKING NEWS......... Illegal Immigrants spotted in Buffalo Trail and South Cumberland areas.
boyer

United States

#11 Feb 19, 2013
New in town wrote:
Just moved to the Panther Creek area and have been hearing them for several nights. Just had one in the yard about ten minutes ago. The howl was loud enough to be right off the porch but I'm a wimp and couldn't look. We saw a fox in the neighbors' yard last week. I certainly don't mind the animals considering how close we are to the park, but I definitely think the neighborhood folks with kids and pets should be aware of them!
I agree. A coyote killed my little poodle a few years ago. It may be nothing to panic over, but certainly something to be aware of.
west2nd

Morristown, TN

#12 Feb 19, 2013
I live on West 2nd (near courthouse) and all of our stray cats have gone missing in the last year, actually its been almost a year. I fed 4 stray cats and one day all but 1 were gone, the next day he didn't show back up either. One of the strays was a street savvy old codger who was always showing up with one of his ears half ripped off or limping, then a few weeks after they all went missing one of my family members saw what looked like a coyote walking beside our house down a neighbors driveway, now about 5 months later this photo ends up in the paper obviously tells this coyote has been in this area for at least over a year.

The upside is, ever since, we've not seen any possums!
thetruth

Tucker, GA

#13 Feb 19, 2013
I saw a man coming out of the woods with a dead one!! I wanted to stop and talk but this day in age people do not like you to.
Tahoe Coyhote

Morristown, TN

#14 Feb 20, 2013
Our fathers hunted the coyhotes long before the white man came and brought his diseases.
Please

Boiling Springs, SC

#15 Feb 20, 2013
Tahoe Coyhote wrote:
Your mother is the one who brought the diseases!
wow

Knoxville, TN

#16 Feb 21, 2013
They have always been here
oh boy

Morristown, TN

#17 Feb 23, 2013
My Wife saw one Thur at about 2;30 as she was going home from work.Walking down the sidewalk in front of the Family Dollar on South Cumberland carrying a dead bloody animal hanging out of his mouth.
BIG OLE CUMMINS

Morristown, TN

#18 Feb 23, 2013
Saw one on old Kentucky rd about a week ago had to be at least 80lds and yes they are getting that big now and possible bigger..
Juan Carlos

United States

#19 Feb 23, 2013
Urp wrote:
The armadillo's arrive yet? See them a lot in west TN.
Middle Tennessee also.
LMAO

Sevierville, TN

#20 Feb 24, 2013
They have been spotted driving church vans from texas. Usually with 12-20 illegal aliens in a 10 passenger van. One was spotted at the courthouse ( we don't think he was dangerous, just getting rid of some green stuff). They re-instated the hunting ban at factory entrances , temp agencies, and walmart customer service areas (moneygram). The ban on hunting will be dropped again as soon as I.C.E. can determine the diffrence beetween its @ss and a hole in the ground. Local law enforcement says they don't exist and will repeat that statement until MS13 and SUR13 tell them to .
Johnny

Morristown, TN

#21 Feb 26, 2013
Opinions on temporary job services

I feel that temporary service's fill a needed purpose but it seems that that is about the only way a person can get a job these days. What are people suppose to do to get a job with decent pay and benefits?
Wears Glasses

Morristown, TN

#22 Mar 6, 2013
My friend who lives in Whitesburg saw three coyotes eating on her patio and fears letting her dog and cat outside. Her husband called Animal Control and was told that coyotes were the homeowner's problem. Her husband shot one coyote and a neighbor shot another. My stray cat population (near West Second North Street) is way down. Six have gone missing recently.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eva Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Silver suv with rims (who is this girl) 22 min Johnny South Knox... 19
Wolfe 56 min Someone who cares 5
Suboxone Junkies 1 hr Dumby 3
JTEKT closing? 2 hr Aaaaa 14
bedbugs 2 hr Yep 2
I like black people . . . (Mar '15) 3 hr i like white people 7
Tea Room Recipe??? (May '10) 3 hr Geez 8

Eva Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance