ES woman charged with negligent homicide

ES woman charged with negligent homicide

There are 88 comments on the Lovely County Citizen story from Jan 28, 2010, titled ES woman charged with negligent homicide. In it, Lovely County Citizen reports that:

Tonya Anne Sherman, 21, of Eureka Springs, was arrested for negligent homicide two weeks ago in connection with a fatal traffic accident that claimed the life of Leonard Beck, 28, of Holiday Island, who was a passenger in the vehicle Sherman was driving.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lovely County Citizen.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Beck

Flagstaff, AZ

#1 Feb 26, 2010
This girl took my brother's life. The justice system is so messed up. Tonya was convicted in 07 for DWI, yet was punished so severly that she had to do it again, this time killing someone. Who will she do it to next? Leonard has two kids who are 3 and 6 and have to live the rest of their lives without a daddy. I truly hope she rots in prison. I think about him everyday while she carries on with her life. Cant wait for court and hope that justice is served this time.
Very Sad

United States

#2 Feb 26, 2010
Beck wrote:
This girl took my brother's life. The justice system is so messed up. Tonya was convicted in 07 for DWI, yet was punished so severly that she had to do it again, this time killing someone. Who will she do it to next? Leonard has two kids who are 3 and 6 and have to live the rest of their lives without a daddy. I truly hope she rots in prison. I think about him everyday while she carries on with her life. Cant wait for court and hope that justice is served this time.
I am sorry to hear of your life experience in the loss of your brother. The anquish, anger and emotional pain you must feel is certainly justified, especially towards the judicial system, which in my opinion is broken and favors towards the criminal and not the victims in most cases.
Hopefully the individual who caused this tragedy by choosing to drink and get behind the wheel of her vehicle will not be let off so lightly this time around.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, feelings and the loss of your brother.
cant believe it

Trumann, AR

#3 Feb 27, 2010
I am sorry for the loss of your brother.I have a brother who was in several alcohol-related accidents over the years.He broke his neck in a rollover in 2001 and spent over a month on a vent.It's a wonder he is not paralyzed.This didn't stop him.Only when he fell in his backyard,blacked out,and nearly blinded himself did he stop.
I can identify with your feelings to a point because I thought I was going to have to bury my brother when he was on a vent.There are only 2 of us,since our parents are both gone.
I have to wonder,as I'm sure you do,why in the world did your brother allow this girl to drive his vehicle when they were both intoxicated? If only he had been wearing HIS seat belt,as well.
Poor judgement and choices have led to the loss of a life and I would think a prison sentence for homocide for this girl.
your kidding

Eureka Springs, AR

#4 Sep 16, 2010
Beck wrote:
This girl took my brother's life. The justice system is so messed up. Tonya was convicted in 07 for DWI, yet was punished so severly that she had to do it again, this time killing someone. Who will she do it to next? Leonard has two kids who are 3 and 6 and have to live the rest of their lives without a daddy. I truly hope she rots in prison. I think about him everyday while she carries on with her life. Cant wait for court and hope that justice is served this time.
maybe you should get the facts correct before you judge people. yes she gets to carry out her life but did you ever think what this did to her and how Leonard took a part in this.
larry beck

Dallas, TX

#5 Sep 16, 2010
Get my facts correct before I judge? You have got to be kidding. She got in my brothers truck with blood alcohol of .20 and buckled herself in but left her passenger unbuckled, took him around a corner at 80mph and hit a tree. Leonard saved her life by hitting the tree with his face. His side of the truck wasn't damaged. How I wish he would have been buckled. I'm glad she is now locked up where she belongs and hope it is complete torture for her. She deserves it. One more thing you have a lot of nerve talking about my dead brother. Hope she rots in jail. Now there are the facts. Any questions?
just kidding

Eureka Springs, AR

#6 Sep 17, 2010
any questions --

first of all you dont have the facts - I understand your brother is dead - and everyone is sorry for that - however the facts are the facts and she got in your brothers truck because he asked her to and they made a drucken decission together and maybe he was buckled - unfortully no one will ever know this. and yes her days are torture for many reasons. and she was not speeding. Maybe if you would talk to her family you would understand More.
SadStateofAffair s

United States

#7 Sep 17, 2010
just kidding wrote:
any questions --
first of all you dont have the facts - I understand your brother is dead - and everyone is sorry for that - however the facts are the facts and she got in your brothers truck because he asked her to and they made a drucken decission together and maybe he was buckled - unfortully no one will ever know this. and yes her days are torture for many reasons. and she was not speeding. Maybe if you would talk to her family you would understand More.
I think this entire situation for all involved, not one family or the other, but both families is a sad state of affairs. No harsh words back and forth will change the fact that a life was lost and the other person involved will probably lose the best portion of her life. She will have to live with her part for the rest of her life whether it is behind bars or not. Everyone directly involved suffers, and to cast stones as to who was at fault will not change anything. It is apparent 2 adults made a decision to ride in a vehicle together, alcohol was involved, and the consequences of both of their decisions played a part in the accident. I fully believe the driver who was intoxicated should be punished to the fullest extent of the law for her part, especially since she was a repeat DWI offender. There is no win-lose in this tragedy. Everybody loses and has lost!
larry beck

Dallas, TX

#8 Sep 17, 2010
I would sure like to know what facts you think I don't have being my facts are from the police report. Were you there? Did you hear him ask her to drive? Were you the bartender that had to carry him out of the bar? Or are you getting your so called facts from tonya who claims she doesn't remember driving then later remembering and pleading guilty? It sounds to me like your getting your facts from your a$$. You weren't there so shut the f up. And for your info she was speeding and he wasn't buckled in. Read the police report and get the facts for yourself. I did so I know the facts. She broke the law again and murdered an innocent person. Piss off. And I have nothing to say to her family. If you want to discuss further you can call me. You know who I am I'm not hiding my identity.
ur kidding

Hollywood, FL

#9 Sep 17, 2010
well i do know my facts because i do have a police report and i dont know what happened that night and neither do you, once again i am sorry for the loss of your brother but since you do not know tonya i suggest you do not assume anything and you can hate her the rest of your life but that is going to just hurt more - so dont tell me to f off because i would like to talk to you over the phone but dont know how to reach you and if i called you you would not talk to me I wish we would not have to air our dirty laundry so everyone else had to read, Figure out who i am yet
larry beck

Dallas, TX

#10 Sep 17, 2010
In a earlier post you clearly said three things 1 he asked her to drive. 2. She was not speeding. 3. He might have been buckled in and that none would ever know. You then said you weren't there that night and don't know what happen making the first point invalid. You said you have a copy of the police report which clearly states that she was speeding and Leonard was not buckled in. So you lied about all three issues. And as far as not making assumptions you're wrong there as well. I'm not assuming tonya drunk and had a .20 its a fact I'm not assuming she drove his vehicle and wrecked and killed someone it is all facts. And I know who you are because only a mother would lie and blame the other person for their child's mistakes. And I have no dirty laundry as I did nothing wrong. And I know quite a bit about what happened that night I spoke to the girl who served them.
ur kidding

Seminole, FL

#11 Sep 18, 2010
i guess were done then because we are never going to talk - which i wish we could because tonya does not remember that night. what i meant about leo being buckled in - was that he might have started buckled in and then unbuckled - i am not lying for my child mistakes - yes she drank yes she drove so yes it was her fault, i just what to understand why you do not think your brother was at any fault ----- but the police report did not say she was speeding. we are sorry for your loss and once again i would really like to speak to you as we do not know anything about that night
as tonya had a head ingury and does not remember that night.
In all fairness

United States

#12 Sep 18, 2010
ur kidding wrote:
i guess were done then because we are never going to talk - which i wish we could because tonya does not remember that night. what i meant about leo being buckled in - was that he might have started buckled in and then unbuckled - i am not lying for my child mistakes - yes she drank yes she drove so yes it was her fault, i just what to understand why you do not think your brother was at any fault ----- but the police report did not say she was speeding. we are sorry for your loss and once again i would really like to speak to you as we do not know anything about that night
as tonya had a head ingury and does not remember that night.
Tonya may not remember that night, because she was in an "Alcoholic Blackout," which is caused by heavy alcohol consumption. An "Alcoholic Blackout" is when the drinker has a total memory lapse/loss, due to excessive alcohol intake.
So, I question the "head injury" excuse for her "not remembering." She has already demonstrated problems with alcohol, prior to this tragedy, which also tells me she is more than likely suffering from the disease of alcoholism.
My perspective comes from being a highly trained and skilled Addiction Treatment Specialist.
It is a sad fact, sometimes it takes a tragedy of this magnitude for someone to acknowledge they have a severe problem with alcohol and or drugs.
ur kidding

Madison, IN

#13 Sep 18, 2010
iam sure it was a combination of both the alcohol and the head injury - you dont know tonya and what she went thru after the accident so dont tell us why she does not remember. and her problem with alcohol - she may or may not have a problem thats her business but just because she had a prior dwi you would have to know the facts and since no one does but her and her family then i suggest everyone stop stating that because of her prior dwi she has a problem. we are just trying to make everyone understand that Leo had a part in this by choosing to get in the truck - we know she has a part in also, it was a 50 50 descission between them unless someone else wants to tell me different
really

Port Richey, FL

#14 Sep 18, 2010
Mom u r the one to blame. That is y our world is the way it is. U need to stop making excuses for her grow up and just realize this is ur fault for not being a good parent. If u would make her responsible for her actions and let her feel the effects if her actions instead of blaming dead ppl she might not be in this situation. If she had a prior and she did and it was made public which it was then obviously it is our business. If u feel so sorry for this family y do u continue to post things on here about a dead person. Don't u think they have been through enough? She was in the wrong. If she wasn't she would have been punished. Maybe if she had had a mother with morals she would have been tought its not a crime to drink over the age of 21 ( which her first dwi she was only 18) but she would have known not to drink and drive. She didn't learn her lesson the first time and took someone's life the second. Thats only the times she got caught. Stop trying to defend her actions. Leave these poor ppl alone. If u have respect and truly feel sorry then just leave them alone and get ur daughter the help she needs.
In all fairness

United States

#15 Sep 18, 2010
ur kidding wrote:
iam sure it was a combination of both the alcohol and the head injury - you dont know tonya and what she went thru after the accident so dont tell us why she does not remember. and her problem with alcohol - she may or may not have a problem thats her business but just because she had a prior dwi you would have to know the facts and since no one does but her and her family then i suggest everyone stop stating that because of her prior dwi she has a problem. we are just trying to make everyone understand that Leo had a part in this by choosing to get in the truck - we know she has a part in also, it was a 50 50 descission between them unless someone else wants to tell me different
"Anybody" that drinks and drives has a problem with alcohol in my opinion. "Anybody" who drinks and drives after one DWI has a "Severe" problem with alcohol in my opinion.
Do yourself a favor and research "alcoholic blackouts"..... A brain injury can certainly impair memory, and so can alcoholic blackouts, which are very common during the progression of alcoholism.
And, I have "No Doubt" both adults made a decision to get into the same vehicle, based upon being impaired by alcohol or not.
mee

United States

#16 Sep 30, 2010
I DO know Tonya and what kind of person she is. and I also know she used to come to school drunk ALL the time..!!! She is the only one to blame SHE KNEW SHE WAS DRUNK SO WHY WAS SHE EVEN DRIVING IN THE FIRST PLACE?????????? No one can make that decision for her BUT HERSELF!!!! Its not like Leo MADE HER DRIVE HIM!!!! Myself as a mother stretch the issue to my children that if you are drinking then you call ME to pick you up NO MATTER WHAT I would be more mad at my children for drinking and driving than calling me at 3 am to come pick them up because they can NOT drive..!! AND ANY GOOD MOTHER would feel the same way..!! If this was my daughter I would NOT stick up for her in any way shape or form!!
larry beck

Sacramento, CA

#17 Sep 30, 2010
Good post mee. I think this is a post everyone agrees with.
mee

United States

#18 Sep 30, 2010
Thanks Larry I hope everyone agrees with it. I miss Leo very very much and I hope that Tonya gets EVERYTHING she deserves..!! for god sake she murdered someone and her bond was only 2500 dollars??? Thats just unreal to me..!!!
larry beck

Sacramento, CA

#19 Sep 30, 2010
Yeah it makes it hard to have faith in the justice system. Some countries cut your hand off for stealing. Some may think that's harsh but people there don't steal. If people were actually punished over here maybe stupid people wouldn't drive drunk.
mee

United States

#20 Sep 30, 2010
EXACTLY..!! It just all seems so crazy to me. and I have seen on facebook where she has uploaded pictures not too long ago and she is drunk in them SO OBVIOUSLY SHE STILL HASNT LEARNED HER LESSON SHE NEVER WILL!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eureka Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jack French Mar 21 Fed up 2
life in Eureka Springs (Dec '09) Mar 19 Weedy 55
grant hardin (Jul '09) Feb 25 Friend 8
wedding chapels Jan '17 melissa 1
Corvette Weekend Oct '16 Huey 1
Daryl Harrison Sep '16 Searching 1
Racism sad but true (Nov '13) Sep '16 Millwiller 4

Eureka Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Eureka Springs Mortgages