Missouri Trooper Struck, Killed Along Interstate 44

Full story: Fox2Now

Members of the Missouri Highway Patrol are in mourning after a Christmas day accident on Interstate 44 near Eureka which left a trooper dead.
Comments
21 - 40 of 47 Comments Last updated Dec 30, 2009
TAMMY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

WE CAN SO EASILY GET CAUGHT UP IN OUR OWN MOMENTS. THIS IS WHAT CAUSES US TO PAY LESS ATTENTION TO THE PROBLEMS AT HAND. CHRISTMAS DAY IS A CELEBRATION. NOW BECAUSE OF SOMEONE NOT PAYING ATTENTION, OR MAYBE GOING TO FAST, OR MAYBE JUST LOST CONTROL,DENNIS ENGLEHARD LOST HIS LIFE ONLY DOING HIS JOB. WE ALL NEED TO SLOW DOWN AND ENJOY LIFE YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN IT WILL END. GOD BLESS.
cousinitt

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

Matt wrote:
<quoted text>
Frankly, you are an ****
I agree with you. This guy who wrote this is a P.O.S.
calles

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

Prayers for the family. Truly a tragic accident.
Ryan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

My prayers and thoughs go out to this man and his family...sorry for your loss... god bless ( and drivers be careful out there please) thank-you.
the Truth

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

Dan Walz wrote:
Good and heroic deeds do not exempt one when in the danger zone - God Bless Cpl. Englehard and all those that serve with him. May God take him into his arms and accept him into heaven, and comfort his family, friends, and fellow Troopers. Few are choosen, few will succeed, few will give the ultimate sacrifice serving us all, and those that do shall be honored above all. Godspeed!
VERY VERY well said, and I agree 100%. Once again very well said and I can only add my prayers for the fallens family
Kent

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

I was with his boss the on Christmass day when he got the call. Not a good day for a lot of folks. We with Fly'n Bryan Racing send out all out prayers to everyone involved. PLEASE give everyone sitting on the side of the road some room to do there job of change there tire so they can get home to the people they love. Remimber some day you might be stuck on the side of the road and need the room.
ThinBlueLine in Ohio

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

Another brother doing a "simple" task. Godspeed to you, and his blessings to your family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. "And people, when are you going to "wake up" driving passed our red & blues!!!!! This loss was not an accident.
Becky7987

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

I keep telling people no matter what kind of vehicle you drive if their is ice on the road stay home.This breaks my heart. I would like to tell Mr. & Mrs.Engelhard I am so sorry for your loss and your son done a GREAT JOB protecting us.

Fox2 could you please correct Andy Banker he just said Cpl. Engelhard was killed in Eureaka and then came back and said he was killed in E.St.Louis.

Since: Dec 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

Judged:

Chris, your comment was cold, and uncaring.

Yes, we will get out the bagpipes. Soon we will gather to honor our fallen brother who gave the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty for the citizens and visitors of Missouri. Maybe that includes you too, Chris.

Have you attended an officers funeral? There have been many.
Have you seen a family at the worst time of teir lives? It is heartbreaking.
Have you stood at attention as they carried an officer to the grave? We have.
Have you watched the honor guard fold the flag? It is deliberate and perfect.
Have you watched the Commander present the flag to the family? They just want their loved one back.
Have you heard radio call out the officers badge number? There is no response, only crying. 10-42 forever.
Have you heard the 20 gun salute? Every shot will jolt you.
Have you stood among the ranks as the bagpiper played “Amazing Grace”? It will make the hair stand on the back of your neck.
Will you forget? We will never forget.

In my 10 year career 8 of my brothers have paid the ultimate sacrifice. Chris, how many colleagues have you lost in your career? I only hope when you suffer a loss some cold, uncaring idiot does not open their mouth like you have.

Have a safe day,

Academy Classmate of Corporal Engelhard
Sad

Farmingdale, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

I had the pleasure of knowing Cpl Engelhard. He was soft spoken and kind. My prayers go out to his family and friends. He will be missed. To all of his brothers and sisters out there, stay safe and God bless.
Tired of Bigots

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

Chris wrote:
S.O.B, P.O.S. New acronym...F.U.T.B.P= fire up those bag pipes!
Too bad you can't trade places with him, loser.
321blast

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

are prayers are with the family. Please slow down when you see flashing light ahead!
Chris

New Haven, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

Judged:

Can't we all just get along, instead of insinuating threats?
Tired of Bigots

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2009

Chris wrote:
That would be entirely up to you. Think about what you are posting BEFORE you actually post it.
cousinitt

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2009

Chris wrote:
S.O.B, P.O.S. New acronym...F.U.T.B.P= fire up those bag pipes!
I am sure that there are many readers that would like to meet up with you. Where can you be found? You are probably some 12 or 13 year old that doesn't have the mental ability to understand what has happened.
Steve Phoenix PD

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2009

Sorry for your loss. May God help the family through this difficult time. My prayers are with the family and my brother and sisters.
cousinitt

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2009

Chris wrote:
Chris, you are a worthless piece of scum! Isn't it time you get back to watching Sesame Street? You sound like a mindless, idiot.
Ex-Bourbon Cop

Owensville, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2009

My prayers to the family of Cpl. Englehard and the troopers that worked with him.

Many times while on stops on I-44 people would go by my patrol car doing 70MPH plus while having my overhead emergency lights on, people would not move to the far lane or slow down if traffic prevented them from moving over. This is why that is a state law, but many people just ignore it because they don't care. Now we have one more officer that has fallen that was avoidable. When are people going to learn to pay attention to those flashing lights, they are on for a reason, not just for officers and other emergency workers to admire on the side of the road. When you come up behind, SLOW DOWN AND MOVE OVER!
Now many of us in law enforcement will be gathering for a funeral of one of our fallen brothers because of a death that never should have happened.
Believe2Achieve

Eureka, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2009

Chris,
Seriously??? You are out of line and you should be ashamed of yourself. Cpl Engelhard looses his life on the side of a road helping others and you have the nerve to post some ignorant comments? What is wrong with you? I think you should have done the proper thing... just deleted your post and slithered away. Unbelievable!
Brother in blue, you couldn't have said it any better. The funeral of a Fallen Hero is such an emotional event. Just the mention of the St. Louis County Bagpipes gives me goosebumps. God Bless all of you who wear the uniform so proudly!
Believe2Achieve

Eureka, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2009

Chris,
Are you serious? The right thing for you would have been to delete your ignorant post and slither back to where you came from.
Brother in blue, you couldn't have put it any better. To attend a Fallen Hero's funeral is very, very emotional. God Bless all of you who put on the uniform to protect and serve all of us. The thought of the St. Louis County Bagpipes give me goosebumps.
When looking at the police report and checking out the SUV driver's name, i found that he was arrested by MSHP back in 2007 for drug possession and drug paraphernalia. i sure hope that his blood was taken Christmas morning. RIP Cpl Engelhard.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Eureka Discussions

Search the Eureka Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MO August 3 Missouri Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) 5 min pmcdermottrhodes 10,208
Who are you voting for in the Jefferson County ... 1 hr JeffCo Conservative 13
More IP Addresses Sought 1 hr Interesting 5
Who will it be for District 113? 1 hr JCPenknife 17
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 2 hr Clinton-Obama Agenda 95,849
Who well you support for the Democratic Primary... 15 hr Steve 24
Five Men Arrested Following Brawl Outside Arnol... (May '13) Thu Looking for advice 9
•••
•••
•••
Eureka Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Eureka Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••