Missouri Trooper Struck, Killed Along Interstate 44

Full story: Fox2Now

Members of the Missouri Highway Patrol are in mourning after a Christmas day accident on Interstate 44 near Eureka which left a trooper dead.
Comments
1 - 20 of 47 Comments Last updated Dec 30, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
FRANCO

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2009

AS AN X-RECIDENT OF ST LOUIS, AND A LAW ENFORCEMENT MEMBER, MY PRAYWERS ARE WITH THE ENGELHARD'S FAMILY. MAY THE LORD WATCH AFTER HIM.
Matt

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2009

Judged:

I am an emergency worker. I respond to vehicle accidents all the time. We have had to start wearing bright yellow vests over our bunker gear because people REFUSE to pay attention and slow down when approaching the scene of an accident. There are plenty of conscientious drivers out there who do the right thing when approaching an emergency scene, but this just goes to show you that you only need one to be in a hurry or just not give a damn. Will his family ever be able to enjoy Christmas again? Folks, quit being so damn self-centered. Quit thinking that whatever it is that you are doing, or wherever it is that you have to be is more important than a human life. Just the other night while working an accident scene a driver drove around two pumpers, one ambulance, and three police cars to enter the highway the wrong direction! When you see our flashing lights (or a construction zone for that matter) slow the hell down!
stapd 356

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2009

god rest cpl engelhard for his service to the community. he will be missed but never forgotten
Wayne

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2009

it could have all be avoided by slowing down. people lose control on the ice all the time. when you simply slow down you may still wreck, but with the reduced speed you reduce the momentum. this black suv was not going slow or he would not have continued sliding into an embankment. the trooper may have still lost his life, maybe not.
Saddened

Saint Charles, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2009

My prayers are with Clp. Engelhard and his family. People do not understand the things police officers deal with and go through. If you know driving conditions are not good and there is an accident, hints the flashing red and blue lights SLOW DOWN. Just because you have four wheel drive does NOT mean you can drive like an idiot. Ice is ice no matter what you drive. This is another fine example of peoples disregard for law enforcement and emergency equipment. I am so sad to know we have lost another police officer to someone’s poor choices. My heart goes out to his family in their time of grief.
Wayne

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2009

Judged:

i personally think instead of giving people tickets for driving carelessly past a stationary emergency vehicle like an idiot, you should make them stand next to the cop car on the side of the road so they know and understand the dangers of this type of activity. i bet they won't do it again
tim engelhard

Lake Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2009

our blessing is with the family.
Wayne

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2009

God bless you Corporal Engelhard
AMG

Arnold, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2009

Judged:

I totally agree, what a great idea. Praying for him and his family. RIP.
Wayne wrote:
i personally think instead of giving people tickets for driving carelessly past a stationary emergency vehicle like an idiot, you should make them stand next to the cop car on the side of the road so they know and understand the dangers of this type of activity. i bet they won't do it again
Aisha

Union, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2009

I am so sorry for Mr. Engelhard's friends and family.
Prayers from New Haven

Cuba, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2009

Judged:

Our prayers go out to the trooper's family.

Not sure if this comment was appropriate. Sounds like someone is mocking the incident.
Chris wrote:
Fire up those bag pipes!
Quintin Lumpkins

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2009

How very SAD am I to hear of such a very bad incident. As a city employee, I to see the danger of the job. None for me, as much as the Mo State Troopers deal w/ on the daily. So feeling sad on this day that Christ was born. I would like to send BLESSINGS to the Engelhard family & all Law Enforcmemnt. GOD BLESS & MERRY CHRISTMAS...
Believe2Achieve

Eureka, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2009

Judged:

This is another tragic incident that could have been avoided. How hard is it to realize that there is an accident up ahead due to icy roads and to just SLOW DOWN? The problem is, people are traveling too fast and they are watching the action on side of the road while they are braking... DON'T BRAKE ON ICE, just let off the gas and coast. This is heartbreaking for the family, friends, law enforcement community, and thankful citizens who appreciate everything that police officers do for the benefit of us each and every day. My thoughts and prayers are with Cpl. Engelhard's family and friends.

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

My heart goes out to the Engelhard family. What a horrible and senseless thing to have happened.:(

Matt thank you for posting that. I couldn't agree with you more. I've seen many close calls on the roads where officers and other workers have almost been hit by oncoming traffic because people refuse to slow down or move over into the next lane. It is frightening! Same goes for road construction crew. I witnessed a flagger get hit because the driver was paying no attention at all. It was absolutely horrifying. Thankfully the man was ok at least.

People need to slow down and pay attention to their driving... not the phone, the radio, or anything else. And if you can't drive in icy/snowy conditions, stay off the road. I've spent enough time in Alaska and Upstate NY to know how to drive safely in these conditions. But even in those places, people drive like idiots.

I can't tell you how many cars I saw off the road yesterday. People need to slow down and pay attention!!!! That can't be repeated enough! And stop the friggin' tailgaiting!!
cousinitt

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

Yesterday, while traveling from Ballwin to Wentzville on Hwy 40, we saw 10 accidents on the way. Seven of them were SUV's. Many people that drive them think they can go anywhere,at any speed,with terrible road conditions. SLOW DOWN PEOPLE so things like this will not happen again. Here is a classic example of a totally waste of life due to someone's reckless driving.

Since: Feb 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

Prayers and condolences to the family of Cpl. Dennis Engelhard.
Paul K

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

Our prayers for Trooper Dennis Engelhard and his family. A truly needless tragedy. He will be remembered for his service. Please slow down when when road conditions warrant it and when approaching emergency sites. You can defy the laws of the road, but you can't defy the laws of physics.
Matt

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

Chris wrote:
Fire up those bag pipes!
Frankly, you are an ass
Dan Walz

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

Judged:

Good and heroic deeds do not exempt one when in the danger zone - God Bless Cpl. Englehard and all those that serve with him. May God take him into his arms and accept him into heaven, and comfort his family, friends, and fellow Troopers. Few are choosen, few will succeed, few will give the ultimate sacrifice serving us all, and those that do shall be honored above all. Godspeed!
Don

Saint Charles, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2009

Rest in Peace, Brother.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Eureka Discussions

Search the Eureka Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Feral Cats 1 hr hunnybunny99 5
Fox C6 Board of Education : Discussion 4 hr Ssdd 140
MO Missouri Proposition B: The Puppy Mill Bill (Oct '10) 6 hr CLUE 6,909
Arnold Historical Society 7 hr run away 12
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 8 hr RNC Rightwing NUT Cases 95,404
Describing Lack of Character 9 hr Doris Borgelt 3
MO August 3 Missouri Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) 17 hr chico 10,206
•••
•••
•••
Eureka Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Eureka Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••