Winter storm expected to continue thr...

Winter storm expected to continue through today

There are 22 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Dec 19, 2010, titled Winter storm expected to continue through today. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

A thunderstorm that caused the National Weather Service to issue a warning for water spouts off the coast is expected to continue through today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Well

Eureka, CA

#1 Dec 19, 2010
More than one person I know canceled or postponed their holiday travel plans because of this major storm that has failed to materialize. It seems the National Weather Service has become so reactionary from failing to identify the major New Years storm a few years ago that now they play up everything, overstating everything, just to be safe. This weekend is no different from what I've been observing in the disconnect between forecasts and reality. I realize forecasts, in general, typically are only correct 70% of the time, but this is ridiculous.

>The storms could be the largest system the region has seen in the last decade

Yeah, right. Some rain Friday night. No rain on Saturday, except a tinkle in the afternoon.
matilda

Berkeley, CA

#2 Dec 19, 2010
I've lived in Humboldt County more than 40 years. I've witnessed a storm or two over the years and so far as I can tell this one is nothing special. Rain and wind and hail-Oh my!!!
Koalabear2525

San Francisco, CA

#3 Dec 19, 2010
yes it is raining here right now in the bay area just as much . so drive slow and safe and use your head lights .
Middle of the road

Rancho Cordova, CA

#4 Dec 19, 2010

“I don't know who I am”

Since: Dec 07

Fortuna

#5 Dec 19, 2010
matilda wrote:
I've lived in Humboldt County more than 40 years. I've witnessed a storm or two over the years and so far as I can tell this one is nothing special. Rain and wind and hail-Oh my!!!
I have to agree. If it had been raining like this for a couple of weeks, then we'd have something to write Koalabear2525 about.

And yeah, folks, slow foodeling down: If you have no love for your fellow man, woman or child, than at least slow down so you yourself can survive the winter.
Middle of the road

Rancho Cordova, CA

#6 Dec 19, 2010
The True Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to agree. If it had been raining like this for a couple of weeks, then we'd have something to write Koalabear2525 about.
And yeah, folks, slow foodeling down: If you have no love for your fellow man, woman or child, than at least slow down so you yourself can survive the winter.
Move right THEN slow down. If you can't drive in inclement weather keep right and slow down or stay off the roadways. There are people who know how to drive in the rain and/or snow so please share the road with them.
Eureka Family

Eureka, CA

#7 Dec 19, 2010
Well wrote:
More than one person I know canceled or postponed their holiday travel plans because of this major storm that has failed to materialize. It seems the National Weather Service has become so reactionary from failing to identify the major New Years storm a few years ago that now they play up everything, overstating everything, just to be safe. This weekend is no different from what I've been observing in the disconnect between forecasts and reality. I realize forecasts, in general, typically are only correct 70% of the time, but this is ridiculous.
>The storms could be the largest system the region has seen in the last decade
Yeah, right. Some rain Friday night. No rain on Saturday, except a tinkle in the afternoon.
If your headed east or north,BE Advised that friends of ours have turned around and returned to Eureka this morning (Sunday) after attempting to drive to Redding.
I 5 is a mess north of Redding & in southern Oregon.
Yum yum

AOL

#8 Dec 19, 2010
Eureka Family wrote:
<quoted text>
If your headed east or north,BE Advised that friends of ours have turned around and returned to Eureka this morning (Sunday) after attempting to drive to Redding.
I 5 is a mess north of Redding & in southern Oregon.
All the more reason to stay home and play Yahtzee and drink hot chocolate.
Cpetersen

Muskogee, OK

#9 Dec 19, 2010
Typical Eureka weather being reported by reactionaries younger than me that got their credentials on wikipedia or google.

I have family in their 70s and 80s here driving this this week. They aren't bothered by it other than the obvious slow down, look around, watch for the slides, and stay out of the river. They lived in Ferndale for BOTH of the Christmas floods. If you're from LA or anyplace dry, I guess you could panic. The regulars here don't bat an eye.

A favorite of mine is the CalTrans traffic cameras online and the Oregon DOT's site, Tripcheck. Real time data to judge for yourself.
Whew

Eureka, CA

#10 Dec 19, 2010
It's a good thing I canceled my Christmas travel plans. I couldn't drive with all this sunshine.

Bravo! Another stellar failed prediction from our amazing meteorologists! 30 minutes of rain and a whole lot of sun.
Koalabear2525

San Francisco, CA

#12 Dec 19, 2010
what in the year of 1964 / 1965 was a good rain storm .and the price golf course in Eureka was or became a lake .
Pancho Villa

Scottsdale, AZ

#14 Dec 19, 2010
i love ya man wrote:
<quoted text>or stay home and get drunk and beat the kids and wife, maybe shoot some dope with james faulk...lolz
but please be nice to the dog
Mall Drone

Saint Albans, WV

#15 Dec 19, 2010
I like how half of this article is taken almost verbatim from an AP article I read last night...
old timer

Sunol, CA

#16 Dec 20, 2010
Mall Drone wrote:
I like how half of this article is taken almost verbatim from an AP article I read last night...

Well you know that would be verboten! Don't you?
matilda

San Francisco, CA

#17 Dec 20, 2010
Yum yum wrote:
<quoted text>
All the more reason to stay home and play Yahtzee and drink hot chocolate.
That's right! Throw another log on the fire and make a pot of soup.
bigdog

Berkeley, CA

#19 Dec 21, 2010
is there any truth to a possible tidal wave?
Middle of the road

Rancho Cordova, CA

#20 Dec 21, 2010
bigdog wrote:
is there any truth to a possible tidal wave?
No tsunami from today’s quake in Japan..........
Poster 1

Cisco, IL

#21 Dec 21, 2010
Gee....

I wonder if there will be a Tidal Wave today...?

Oh, dear... what shall we do...?

Signed,

Poster 1
Poster 2

Cisco, IL

#22 Dec 21, 2010
Do not worry Poster 1 (who is a total stranger whom I am not and have never met)...

There is no danger of a Tidal Wave here in Humboldt County because I am a "Published Scientist"...

Signed,

Poster 2
(Educatede Published Scientist.)
Poster 3

Cisco, IL

#23 Dec 21, 2010
Oh Good...!

I am so glad that a "Published Scientist" like Poster 2 (who is a total stranger whom I am not and have never met)... is in control and telling us not to worry about a Tidal Wave...

Thank you "Poster 2" who is obviously a "Published Scientist"...

Signed,

Poster 3
(No as smart as Poster 2 who is "Educatede.")

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eureka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's with all this hate towards Armenians? (Jul '10) Tue Stupid guys 244
News TAP helps people get back home; bus tickets, ga... (Nov '11) Mon Renee376 684
News Bowling memories at Verdugo Hills Bowl (Oct '10) Jun 20 Mike Barrow 2
JoAnns FAbric & Craft Store-Cheats Employees (Jun '07) Jun 17 Kiki 374
News Reggae on the River (Jul '09) Jun 15 Jah Whitey 29
News Attorney: Officer's promotion could lead to BL ... (Mar '08) Jun 14 thatguy 30
Pimp got me I am not from here and wanna go home Jun 12 Leslie Tucker 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Eureka Mortgages