Mayors to meet on Coastal Commission ...

Mayors to meet on Coastal Commission seat; governor's request for nominees has raised political h...

There are 24 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Dec 3, 2010, titled Mayors to meet on Coastal Commission seat; governor's request for nominees has raised political h.... In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

The mayors of coastal cities in Humboldt County will meet on Dec. 16 to discuss possible nominees to the California Coastal Commission, but awkward timing for the appointment looks like it will continue to make for a confusing process.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ester H

San Francisco, CA

#1 Dec 3, 2010
First on the agenda - A crash course on the commission, since Bass doesn't know much about anything related to the CCC. Except for the Marina Center, that is. She will be happy to contribute to that meeting. The rest of the job? Who cares, right?
Four decades in Humboldt

Eureka, CA

#2 Dec 3, 2010
Ester H wrote:
First on the agenda - A crash course on the commission, since Bass doesn't know much about anything related to the CCC. Except for the Marina Center, that is. She will be happy to contribute to that meeting. The rest of the job? Who cares, right?
Of all the possible candidates interested in the vacant seat , which one is more qualified ( in your opinion) to fill that seat?
Neighbor

United States

#3 Dec 3, 2010
So far of the people who have come forward Mark Lovelace is the person with the most knowledge and experience in working with the CCC.
vern

Palo Alto, CA

#4 Dec 3, 2010
Mark is an activist who is too extreme to be on the Commission. The Governor hopefully knows this already.

“I don't know who I am”

Since: Dec 07

Fortuna

#5 Dec 3, 2010
And, according the last paragraphs of the article, all this discussion could be for nothing.

Humboldt County could loose its representation on the commission to someone from Del Norte or Mendocino County government.

From holding the chair on the commission to nothing: I supposed there will be some out there who will think that will be an improvement over what we have now.
connect the dots

Madera, CA

#6 Dec 3, 2010
What knowledge, what experience. This is bullshit propaganda spread by the progressive activist. Wheatly has more knowledge and experience. The new Supervisor Sundberg has more experience than either one of them. He has done several projects dealing with CCC over the last 8 years.
Lovelace is the new Wes Cheeseball for the Dem., a mouthy want to be political lifer. Very narrow scope. They keep saying he has experience but where, when, trouble answering that is what they have.

Since: Oct 10

Eureka,Ca.

#7 Dec 3, 2010
Neighbor wrote:
So far of the people who have come forward Mark Lovelace is the person with the most knowledge and experience in working with the CCC.
The mere fact that Lovelace is aligned with PAYKEEPER and probably NEC and EPIC makes it a clear conflict of interest for him. The next person to serve needs to be someone clearly without an ongoing agenda. He should not even be considered due to his past actions. Don't know enough about Wheatly or Sundberg to comment on their suitability but would like to hear some real input.

“I don't know who I am”

Fortuna

#8 Dec 3, 2010
REAL DIRT DEVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
The mere fact that Lovelace is aligned with PAYKEEPER and probably NEC and EPIC makes it a clear conflict of interest for him. The next person to serve needs to be someone clearly without an ongoing agenda. He should not even be considered due to his past actions. Don't know enough about Wheatly or Sundberg to comment on their suitability but would like to hear some real input.
So you are saying the next person for the commission should be somebody who is completely disinterested?

What kind of clueless moron do you want to represent the North Coast?

In the adult world everybody has an agenda; except the dead and the brain-dead.

Since: May 10

Arcata, CA

#9 Dec 3, 2010
In other words, Brinton is going in with his mind made up - not listening to any input from any of his constituents. Classic.
Both Sides

Eureka, CA

#10 Dec 3, 2010
RRose wrote:
In other words, Brinton is going in with his mind made up - not listening to any input from any of his constituents. Classic.
And Rose,When was the last time you changed your position on anything political? Especially after hearing "input" from others?Classic indeed?
ExRepub

San Francisco, CA

#11 Dec 3, 2010
Don't say a word about Sarah Palin on Rose's blog, or you will be banned for life

And don't even ask how man times she voted for Bristal on DWTS
Matt

Berkeley, CA

#12 Dec 3, 2010
From the Governor: "nominees...should be officials committed to and knowledgeable about coastal preservation and conservation.”

That rules out most of the local officials
Thirdeye

Mckinleyville, CA

#13 Dec 3, 2010
The True Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying the next person for the commission should be somebody who is completely disinterested?
What kind of clueless moron do you want to represent the North Coast?
In the adult world everybody has an agenda; except the dead and the brain-dead.
No, that's not what RDD said. Your claim that "everybody has an agenda" is a weak rationale for Lovelace's obvious conflict through his association with special interest groups intervening in current business before the CC. The CC's duty is to evaluate issues in an objective and professional manner. Lovelace's record shows that he is not capable of meeting that standard.
ExRepub

San Francisco, CA

#14 Dec 3, 2010
And Virginia is a viable candidate because... She supports the Marina Center?

Is that the sole qualification required to satisfy the local conservatives?

“I don't know who I am”

Fortuna

#15 Dec 3, 2010
Thirdeye wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that's not what RDD said. Your claim that "everybody has an agenda" is a weak rationale for Lovelace's obvious conflict through his association with special interest groups intervening in current business before the CC. The CC's duty is to evaluate issues in an objective and professional manner. Lovelace's record shows that he is not capable of meeting that standard.
I'm not stumping for Mr. Lovelace.

I just object to the notion that he, or anyone, should be excluded because he has a known track record. Surely, you see the point that only a clueless non-entity would fill the bill of a candidate, as Real Dirt Devil himself put it, of not having an "agenda."

As for the Coastal Commission, it is a political animal composed of political appointees. If the Coastal Commission were really as you have stated it, then it would be made up of professionals appointed by professionals. That is the reality of the situation; we ignore that at our own peril.

What you are objecting to is having someone with an environmentalist background on the Coastal Commission. Fair enough. It is only logical you would want someone with a background more to your liking. Also fair enough.

That is the point I made that you chose to ignore.

Eureka,Ca.

#16 Dec 4, 2010
ExRepub wrote:
And Virginia is a viable candidate because... She supports the Marina Center?
Is that the sole qualification required to satisfy the local conservatives?
If you actually read this forum you would see that no one is pushing for Bass to get nominated. I think she needs a little more seasoning before taking on an important role such as this.
Thirdeye

Mckinleyville, CA

#17 Dec 6, 2010
<quoted text>

As for the Coastal Commission, it is a political animal composed of political appointees. If the Coastal Commission were really as you have stated it, then it would be made up of professionals appointed by professionals. That is the reality of the situation; we ignore that at our own peril.
What you are objecting to is having someone with an environmentalist background on the Coastal Commission. Fair enough. It is only logical you would want someone with a background more to your liking. Also fair enough.
That is the point I made that you chose to ignore.
The agenda-laden, politicized, and antiprofessional aspects of the CC are what make it dysfunctional. We are not compelled to accept that.
suddenly disconnected

Beverly Hills, CA

#18 Dec 6, 2010
Humboldt County could loose its representation on the commission to someone from Del Norte or Mendocino County government.
yea, that thriving metropolis of crescent city or orick, and that mighty noyo harbor metropolis fort Bragg should be able to eclipse eureka...not.

“I don't know who I am”

Fortuna

#19 Dec 6, 2010
suddenly disconnected wrote:
<quoted text>yea, that thriving metropolis of crescent city or orick, and that mighty noyo harbor metropolis fort Bragg should be able to eclipse eureka...not.
Your point being....?

My point was Humboldt County stood to loose representation on a vital State Commission. That does not sound like a good thing to me. To someone in Del Norte or Mendocino County, not so bad I guess.

Oh, and last I checked (which was about 30 seconds ago) Orick was in Humboldt County.

Eureka,Ca.

#20 Dec 6, 2010
suddenly disconnected wrote:
<quoted text>yea, that thriving metropolis of crescent city or orick, and that mighty noyo harbor metropolis fort Bragg should be able to eclipse eureka...not.
What would be so wrong with someone from CC or Ft. Bragg on the Coastal Commission. They certainly have a vested interest in the process. I am also sure that there very intelligent people living in and around those areas that would make very competent members. Sometimes I think they would be much preferable to the idiots around Eureka that would be considered.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eureka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's with all this hate towards Armenians? (Jul '10) 17 hr Stupid guys 244
News TAP helps people get back home; bus tickets, ga... (Nov '11) Mon Renee376 684
News Bowling memories at Verdugo Hills Bowl (Oct '10) Jun 20 Mike Barrow 2
JoAnns FAbric & Craft Store-Cheats Employees (Jun '07) Jun 17 Kiki 374
News Reggae on the River (Jul '09) Jun 15 Jah Whitey 29
News Attorney: Officer's promotion could lead to BL ... (Mar '08) Jun 14 thatguy 30
Pimp got me I am not from here and wanna go home Jun 12 Leslie Tucker 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Eureka Mortgages