JoAnns FAbric & Craft Store-Cheats E...
Joann emp from Cally

Oxnard, CA

#288 Sep 16, 2012
Recently our Store Manager left without notice. Our operations manager took over. He had been doing all the work anyway. He was pleasant to work for and was doing a good job. They sent in a new manager from hell! She has turned the place upside down. She is verbally and non verbally threatening. She intimidates, threatens and humiliates all of us.I have seen her single out and treat some employees differently than others. Belittling them or demeaning them in front of others. I recently got a promotion before she came and she told me I would not be getting it or my pay raise. She is a bully and cuts our hours to show us her power.
TX Employee

Arlington, TX

#289 Sep 26, 2012
katie wrote:
iv read all these comments and i believe there are probly good joanns stores out there i personaly like the store but i started working there real soon after i turned 18 and all these complaints i have too. its a bad inviroment i cry and have panic attacks everytime i no i have to go to work. its a horrible enviroment and they sometimes dont even answer my call for back up at the cutcounter they completly ignore it. and what am i suposed to do. and now im sick with flu and a cough thing and they r having me go into work and i almost fainted threw up and had diarea all at once and they didnt even send me home after that. i was literlly yellow. i wish id seen this site before i agreed to work with them i thought getting this job would be a blessingbut its a nightmare.
I know exactly how you feel. I applied there after I was approached by a customer and asked for help, I figured if I could help her, I could help others and might as well get paid for it. The pay was nice at first, and I enjoyed working there. But as time goes on I'm getting more and more frustrated with the way the store is run. We rarely have more than 2 people to close at the cutting counter, 2 at the cashier, plus a "manager" that has zero interest in being there. She isn't even a manager, really. She's a key holder! So they get to save on payroll there. We have a boy that works at the cutting counter primarily, and he has no clue what he's doing. His customer service is nonexistent, he's lazy and slow, has a terrible attitude. This is a known issue, but management refuses to do anything, and they can't because we don't have enough people. I'm looking for other employment, and it sucks because I love most of the people I work with. Contact the person above your STL, and if that doesn't help, call that guy's boss.
stop_bitching

Levittown, PA

#290 Oct 1, 2012
I don't understand why everyone always bitches about everything. If you people don't like the store don't go in the store. Just stay out because not only do you get mad about stupid shit you make the employees that actually care about their jobs and try their best to help you customers out mad when you give them an attitude because you didn't have someone to hold your hand as you walked around the store. And to the person you bitched about the employee standing at the other end of the counter why the fuck did you put your fabric on the opposite end of where she was standing. Did you ever stop to think there might be a reason she was standing down there. O no you didn't you just wanted her to come to you because your stupid fat ass couldn't walk the extra 10 feet to her. So everyone here should stop bitching and stay the fuck out of the joann chain of stores of it is that bad.
unknown

Ripley, NY

#291 Oct 21, 2012
Customers any more call corporate if you don't do what they think that you should do. You get in trouble for that when you didn't do anything in the first place. Most customers today are rude and what everything for nothing. Sick of it and you have to give them what they want even if they find something that some other customer just threw done. Wonder how that would work in the grocery store. Just tired of it, corporate goes with the customer everytime.
Joann employee houston

United States

#292 Dec 6, 2012
retail employee wrote:
I have a BS in Education and have worked retail for years. I stopped teaching because of ignorant parents like you...how dare you assume to know what it takes to work retail? Obviously you don't work it or else you are in management with this company. I am a Joann's customer, not an employee. Yet even I can see from the outside how poorly the good employees are treated and how well the new hires are treated. I have helped other customers in the yarn department at my local Joann's because the young girl working there hadn't a clue as to what the guest was talking about. Joann's is a store that needs competent skilled craftpeople working there in order to keep in business. They also need to recognize how much those with the above mentioned skills bring to the store.
I will stop going to Joann's if this trend of giving the inexperienced unqualified new hires more hours then the older employees continues. There are four LYS's I can go to instead.
By the way...if you think so little of the Joann's employees...why are you on their site?
thank you! we rarely get customers like you who actually pay attention to what's going on it feels awesome when we do get them. I have worked for Joann's for 4 years.
Laura

Alpharetta, GA

#293 Jan 4, 2013
I must say the comments on this page just amaze me. When a person is making minimum wage, do not expect to get advice that a professional seamstress can give.Do your homework before you go. I shop in the Alpharetta Ga store and the staff there are all extremely pleasant, it is the customers I see there that put me over the edge! These women that shop there act like bitches and would run over you with their carts, if you are in their way. Rude people who think the employees there are slaves and should kiss their------ I have seen the staff treated so rudely there, I make comments, which is not ther right thing to do , but these people who try to look so high class are like the lowest on the food chain in my book, go home and stop trying to fill your empty life by crafting
flipflops

Clinton, MD

#294 Jan 10, 2013
I want to work at the Joanns that has two cashiers, two people at the cutting counter, and a key holder, on. That would be so nice. One cashier, one cutting counter, and one key holder, veterans day, labor day, fourth of july.... oh that would be so nice. Really, stop you whining. I just want to know why they don't pay us enough. Oh and don't get me started about the dam news letter in the break room. I work at a mid-size store, and everyone is under-paid, and unappreciated. Is your break room clean? I envy that too.
Flip Flops

Clinton, MD

#295 Jan 10, 2013
Oh and I would like to know why a manager can not buy a soda, if she gives her credit card to another employee to purchase it??? especially if she the only manager on duty. That company policy is mean, they can't leave the store to do so. Especially if this person most likely has never been written up! Seriously.

Since: Dec 12

Houston, TX

#296 Jan 15, 2013
I was supposed to be researching http://www.tabletessentials.com for a 10 inch tablet case but I ended up reading about this instead. Oh hello ADHD.
Ashley

Redford, MI

#297 Feb 20, 2013
I work at the Madison Heights, MI store and all this is true! Last february i was promoted to the cash office, so now i have a lot more responsibility and i didnt get a raise! Also we havd a few new positions made and one position terminated. Rather than have a current team member take the position that they deserved, our manager told a friend of hers and she applied before anyone had the chance and was hired on the spot. Now all they do is sit in the back room and gossip while everyone else deals with long lines and minimal help. Also I get in trouble for talking and giving tips to customers but at morning huddle they keep saying " customers first!" It is a horrible job and i would not reccomend a job there!
Liz wrote:
After reading what others have had to say in this forum, I guess my feeling about the store I work in have been confirmed. I work in the Manchester,CT Store and I must say Management is difficult to work with, shows special favor to certain employees and the pay is poor. We are always being coached about customer service to create more sales and make our manager look good.
Meanwhile we work like dogs and make poor wages.
I agree that it doesnt even matter if you have much knitting, sewing and other skills. You are treated bad.!
Anonymus

United States

#298 Apr 24, 2013
I visited the Manchester, CT, store this week. Lots of employees on the floor; only saw two of them actually working. The rest couldn't be bothered with the customers (even on a slow day). Probably because management was upstairs and out of sight. Didn't matter that lines were forming. Sucks they are getting paid so little they have to make customers feel their pain.
Joan

UK

#299 Apr 25, 2013
The most important benefit of acquiring Joann fabric coupons is the fact that you can buy products in cheaper cost. You can make a certain product out of the material you purchased, and because you bought it with a coupon
Anon

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#300 May 9, 2013
I currently work at Joann's and have been therefor three years got promoted to a key holder have been told I would receive my raise it has been like three months and they keep saying payroll is messing up it will be on the next check and it never happens, meanwhile our store is under staffed because lack of hours, and I hardly ever get my lunch especially now that I'm a key holder we have to take work in meals.. Even though it is so busy you can't even manage to eat your food on the sales floor let alone sit down and take a minute to yourself. The scheduling is terrible even if our store succeeds sales. They will schedule you for 2 days and off the rest then try to call you in like your on call and get upset if you can't come in because you are busy on your day off ! I work hard and go in alot of the times I've been called in, the customers especially our regulars always greet me with pleasant smiles and conversations and I've been told I'm a great employee and they want me to move up in the company but frankly I'm not sure if want to with the way corporate treats their employees. I mean I really do like the job just not the stress it causes me
Anon

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#301 May 9, 2013
Anon wrote:
I currently work at Joann's and have been therefor three years got promoted to a key holder have been told I would receive my raise it has been like three months and they keep saying payroll is messing up it will be on the next check and it never happens, meanwhile our store is under staffed because lack of hours, and I hardly ever get my lunch especially now that I'm a key holder we have to take work in meals.. Even though it is so busy you can't even manage to eat your food on the sales floor let alone sit down and take a minute to yourself. The scheduling is terrible even if our store succeeds sales. They will schedule you for 2 days and off the rest then try to call you in like your on call and get upset if you can't come in because you are busy on your day off ! I work hard and go in alot of the times I've been called in, the customers especially our regulars always greet me with pleasant smiles and conversations and I've been told I'm a great employee and they want me to move up in the company but frankly I'm not sure if want to with the way corporate treats their employees. I mean I really do like the job just not the stress it causes me
They also expect way too much to get done with the short amount of people that are working and you get in trouble if its not done, like our pcns and fabric flow or go backs, when the higher up management doesn't take the time to put in the salaried hours, also with recovery you can't get the fabric and store looking great when you are closing with one other person schedule more people per shift and your stores will look I. Tip top shape especially if you give them the respect, gratitude and our parties for excellent shrink ( that our store has had since I've worked here and we have yet to receive then) and your employees will be happy employees but we will probably see sites like this and posts until corporate changes something
Emily

Danielson, CT

#302 May 19, 2013
Im a current employee of JoAnns i saw all the complaints most of the customers are right. I have one co worker who likes to boss some of the employees around and also the minute the store closes she goes to the break room and sits down doesnt help clean up plus she is always on her phone during business hours and i informed one manager and she doesnt seem to care.
Costumely

Boulder, CO

#303 Jun 6, 2013
As a new hire, I was given an Apron and a radio, not so they can keep tabs on me, but so if someone asked me a question I didn't know, I could ask someone who did. The thing that customers have to understand is that, even experienced crafters have certain areas of knowledge, but if you ask someone like me who know's about costumes a question about scrapbooking, I won't have any answers. Also, I would like to thank you in a sarcastic manner for ranting about new 'young' hires. Everyone has to start somewhere. It would serve you all well to have some patience and pass on knowledge so that the 'young' employees learn and season faster. I do anything I can to glean any information I can learn about what people were working on and I listen on the radio to try and pick up anything I can about how certain things work. I think you should just give us a chance.

Also, I have no idea why you guys seem to have such poorly managed stores, and I am sorry you all had to live through such horror stories, but don't let one person ruin a company for you.
JoAnn

Dallas, TX

#304 Jul 12, 2013
I also was going to apply at my local Orem City,Utah store but after reading all these negative messages I will not work for them. They will eventfully go under with this kind of repor, I will not even shop their anymore now. There loss! I hope at their head quarters that they are reading these's note's because there is some terrible things that are being said about their company. Dang-it I really wanted to get a job there it was so close to my house. Oh Well, as they might not know or even care for that matter there are other places hiring that don't treat their employee's and customer like this. Sham on them, that's not the American way or maybe their not American's (I never thought of that?)
tell me about it

San Bernardino, CA

#305 Jul 31, 2013
1 800 WHAAAAA wrote:
<quoted text>
You get your face in mine, I'll EAT yours! You'll look funny stocking with no nose, no ears, and no face!
Wanna-be tough b i t c h!
You probably would eat the employees face seeing as most of the costumers are overweight middle aged c u next tuesdays.
Denease

Brevard, NC

#306 Aug 8, 2013
What is the rehire policy? And why do you have to have a different background check for cashier than instructor and what exactly are they looking for that they didn't look for the first time?? Just don't get it???
Aimee

Indianapolis, IN

#307 Aug 14, 2013
3 plus years wrote:
I must say reading some of these comments makes me wonder just what store you are all shopping at. I am one of those younge persons who works at JoAnn's and I have been working there for the past 3 years. I however also know a lot about crafting and sewing and find myself being asked questions evven by the managment.
The fact that someone isn't nice to you all the time as a costomer does not give you license to write off all of the people who work at a business. I am proud of teh customer service I give to the guests in my store. I have plenty of cut above awards to show for it as well.
Yet we all have off days. And yes working in a store that is understaffed and where they grossly under pay thir employees makes it hard to keep good people in the store.
I have been at joanns for three years and still make just a bit over Min wage. in a store where the policy changes on you every week and you can't get a raise untill you have been there for well over a year it is no wonder that you have people who aren't the best at customer service. Tell the managment about those who are rude... or better yet tell them how nice it is to have helpful people around too, its nice to hear the good sometimes and not just the bad.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I am one of these ragged on "new hires" people keep talking about. I consider myself to be a very crafty person and I'd like to think I provide above-average customer service. I am always willing to listen to your complaints, and I dislike taking out my bad day on a customer who has had nothing to do with my frustrations.

That being said, I think we should all realize that not every store is going to give you a bad shopping experience. When we consider the amount of truly experienced crafters employed by Joann's, we can start realizing just how rare a good employee who knows their stuff really is. We're not exactly an abundant hobby group any more. That statistics are against us, and we have become grossly outnumbered.

But what has really irked me about these hate messages are those who say they would rather shop at Wal Mart or other big chains along those lines. Considering all of the employee horror stories that I have personally heard from friends and family about their time in Wal Mart's employ, I would take frustrated, overworked, underpaid employees who generally love what Joann's sells and the shopping niche it offers. I have had far more bad experiences with Wal Mart than Joann's or other craft stores.

Basically, all I'm saying is don't judge us all by one store, and don't judge one store by one or two or even five bad experiences. We all have our bad days. Joann's is not perfect and never claimed to be. It only claimed to sell the niche items that you need and that are quickly being phased out of major retailers. A little empathy and compassion can go a long way. On both sides. Especially when you know how rough it can be for us retail employees out there.

Respectfully,

Aimee

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eureka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's with all this hate towards Armenians? (Jul '10) 6 hr bullet 208
News Highway mile to honor fallen Navy SEAL Tue Valerie Hanson 1
News TAP helps people get back home; bus tickets, ga... (Nov '11) Jul 27 Crystal lynne 433
On Armenian genocide, Obama minces words, break... Jul 24 Barev 2
homeless wuna go home Jul 23 tru 1
News Shayne Austin Ochs Sept. 22, 1976 - June 22, 20... (Aug '10) Jul 22 93infinity 3
News Armenian organized crime grows more complex (Oct '10) Jul 20 Former Armo 793
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Eureka Mortgages