JoAnns FAbric & Craft Store-Cheats Employees

Posted in the Eureka Forum

First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Eureka, CA

#1 Jun 5, 2007
In Eureka, Hancocks fabrics is now closing its doors. While JoAnn Fabrics is now letting there own employees know that they are expendable. This year the JoAnn Corporation took away the raises that employees had earned over the years. So if you need a job, maybe this company would not be the best for you in the future. They seem to feel that a person with knowledge of sewing & knitting is of very little importance to the customer. It is best to have someone working at minimum wage with no knowledge, so they can get the customers money and get them out the door. So next time you may need help with a project, the Eureka JoAnns employee probably won't help you because all the employees that could have are leaving.
It is pretty sad today that even McDonalds in Humboldt County gave there employees there raises they earned on top of the new minimum wage, but a large company like JoAnn's Fabrics & Crafts Store wants to cheat there employees.
When you apply for a job at this company, you have to take a rediculous phone test asking questions about if you would steal from there company. Isn't this the same thing they are doing to there employees.
"You Make Your Decision About This Company"
Not a Happy Gal

AOL

#2 Jul 8, 2007
There is a lot of crap going on at Joann's and management always blames Corporate.

When we were hired they told us that we would be terminated for discussing wages. Well that was a red flag for me but I needed a job. I waited until I could trust my co-worked and I asked how much they were getting paid. Well, I understand about being paid by experience (we sure are not being paid adequately) but they do not even take that into account. I mean, if we all have day jobs and we are looking for a night job, then it goes to show that maybe, just maybe we really need a job and will take what we can get and thatís what Joannís Fabrics/Joannís Craft Store is banking on.

Also since the minimum wage was put into affect, the "new" hires get paid .50 to .75 cents more an hour then the workers that were there before it came into play.

Joann fabrics DOES NOT give merit raises nor do they fire people that are lazy or incompetent. What they do is give the lazy people more hours while the hard works men and women get the run around.

Oh and if you want a few days off, you have to request 3 weeks in advance (which is understandable) but when you come back don't expect ANY hours or even your old schedule back. I heard it many times from other employees that it makes them feel like they are being punished for asking for time off.

Managers contently talk about how they have to run/clean the store with a skeleton crew but yet they cut hours because payroll is down and send the lazy folks home first.

A little common curtsey and respect would be nice.
Guest wrote:
In Eureka, Hancocks fabrics is now closing its doors. While JoAnn Fabrics is now letting there own employees know that they are expendable. This year the JoAnn Corporation took away the raises that employees had earned over the years. So if you need a job, maybe this company would not be the best for you in the future. They seem to feel that a person with knowledge of sewing & knitting is of very little importance to the customer. It is best to have someone working at minimum wage with no knowledge, so they can get the customers money and get them out the door. So next time you may need help with a project, the Eureka JoAnns employee probably won't help you because all the employees that could have are leaving.
It is pretty sad today that even McDonalds in Humboldt County gave there employees there raises they earned on top of the new minimum wage, but a large company like JoAnn's Fabrics & Crafts Store wants to cheat there employees.
When you apply for a job at this company, you have to take a rediculous phone test asking questions about if you would steal from there company. Isn't this the same thing they are doing to there employees.
"You Make Your Decision About This Company"
sam

Excelsior, MN

#3 Jul 23, 2007
Does anyone know where a former (possibly still employed) Deb Brainard is. We worked together in stores in Rochester New York
Kathy

Camden, IN

#4 Jul 24, 2007
any truth to the rumor we are getting a Joann's in Monticello, MN.?
Liz

Fitchburg, MA

#5 Aug 21, 2007
After reading what others have had to say in this forum, I guess my feeling about the store I work in have been confirmed. I work in the Manchester,CT Store and I must say Management is difficult to work with, shows special favor to certain employees and the pay is poor. We are always being coached about customer service to create more sales and make our manager look good.
Meanwhile we work like dogs and make poor wages.
I agree that it doesnt even matter if you have much knitting, sewing and other skills. You are treated bad.!
marsie

United States

#6 Sep 21, 2007
wow i was thinking about applying there but now im not
Fred Thompson

Las Vegas, NV

#7 Sep 24, 2007
Well I am no help because Iwent to the JoAnns and was treated like Your here for us not us for you. So every since I only buy at 50% off when I do go there.
WAlbertWolfe

AOL

#9 Oct 7, 2007
Well, if you went actually learned your English in school, you would spell "their" correctly. I am familiar with the social promotion system in California. I think you are barely worth minimum wage. It is not Geroge Bush' fault, either.
HatesJerks

Saint George, UT

#10 Oct 7, 2007
You are a complete jerk. How do you even know that they are not attending college? Are you certain that there are many opportunities for jobs in their area? Do you know if their daily schedule will allow them to get a full time, higher paying job? I think many people would agree that a higher level of education does not necessarily earn you higher wages/a better job. You cannot possibly know their circumstance. Maybe they cannot afford college. Its expensive. A lot of people cannot afford it. And you do not even know if they actually have gone to college, all they said is that they are not getting paid what they're worth. So they could be worth more since they went to college but are not getting it which is not necessarily their fault.
Everyone needs an outlet for their frustrations and maybe this is the only one they have. Guarantee you have complained about at least one thing at one point in your life. Maybe this is the only they've ever complained about as well. You cannot label them a "whiner" because of this one incident. They could be the least whinny people in the world. Everyone complains.
Either way, one thing is for sure- money is not important, whats important is people skills and its obvious that you do not have them.
So what if they don't have a doctorate? At least they probably have class. Something you are definitely lacking you insensitive prick.
suzanne

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Oct 12, 2007
marsie wrote:
wow i was thinking about applying there but now im not
I agree with you......I will look elsewhere.
dahlimama

Rochester, NY

#12 Oct 14, 2007
I have a college degree,in fact two, plus 19 years experience in my field. I was just treated the same as these folks by a western NY state children's museum.I think the problem is with large corporations.they take on the mindset that people are just fodder for the machine. i have three grown sons and I notice they are happy in their jobs. they all work for much smaller companies. they personally know their bosses enough to speak to them.The museum I worked for had an expansion and is now billing it's self as "a world class operation" meanwhile their past employee's are out their in the public letting people know how poorly they were treated! I don't think the museum is aware that folks are turned off by that.I don't shop Walmart for that very reason, I would be condoning misuse of their employees.
Kristin

Campbell, CA

#13 Oct 23, 2007
The one thing I notice about my local Jo-Anns is that the employees are among the nicest and most helpful I have run into and that is even more a surprise knowing how badly they are treated. They certainly don't take it out on the customer in Humboldt County.

And yes, I have a college degree, but where I live that is worth about $7.50, okay? In economically depressed areas it really doesn't matter if you have a HS or college degree or other job training--there just aren't the jobs readily available and if there are people would rather one of their relatives be hired than someone they don't know.

Only jobs always available here are physical therapy and nursing and I can't do either of those for reasons of my own health/physical conditions.
Miss J

Piedmont, SC

#14 Oct 23, 2007
I have placed orders on line for seversal years. Now i will find another company. So sad.
cindy

Sanford, NC

#15 Oct 25, 2007
Just this evening I went to JoAnn's in Cary, N.C. After searching the entire store for 20 minutes I could not find what I had come in to get. I then turned my search toward finding an employee who might be able to help. There were only employees running the cash registers (all busy) and in the fabric department (all swamped what with Halloween around the corner). I got the strange feeling that JoAnn's is not the store I once thought it was. I put what things I had in my hands to purchase back on the shelf and walked out empty handed and questioned whether to go back every again. What has happened to customer service in America? It is all about money and we, the public, just shrug our shoulders and go on with the status quo. I plan on filing a complaint about the fact there seemed to be no employees out and about to assist customers. I am sure there is a bigger daytime crew, but still. The store was busy with customers.

Thanks for listening to my WHINE!!
JoAnn cheats customers

Sugar Land, TX

#16 Oct 27, 2007
Not only does JoAnn have terrible customer service, as well as employees who don't even know what corduroy is, they continually short people on fabric. I have now been shorted for the fourth time this year on fabric, due to their "No Grace" measurement policy. The 2nd and 3rd times, I took it back. The fourth time I knew it was my own dumb fault for even walking in the store. I was just desperate to find the right color, which our Walmart and Hobby Lobby did not have.
JoAnn is a pitiful example of a fabric store. I know the only reason I'll walk back in is to use my 40% coupon on Carbona Stain remover.
disappointed customer

Sackets Harbor, NY

#17 Oct 29, 2007
Our store in Fayetteville,NY is nothing to brag about. The customer service is getting worse every time I go in there. The last time I almost left what I had in my hand and walked out. At the cutting table the employee stood at one end watched me set everything down then told me to come to her. She could have moved her butt to the customer. The bigger they get the worse the service is.
Closing in Nebraska

AOL

#18 Nov 7, 2007
Our store will soon be closing. I am an employee there and have seen the drastic changes over the years, but lately it has gotten worse than ever. They have gotten too big for their britches and both customers and employees are paying the price. They care nothing about either. It all comes down to the bottom line...money. Experience and knowledge count for nothing. And when they hire enexperienced 19 year olds,at just above minimum wage as "manager on duty" to save on payroll and to get that almighty bonus and cut hours for those who have been there longer, respect and care for their customers, they deserve the bad reputation. I certainly don't work there for the money. It is the customers and friends I enjoy. I will stick it out to the end for them, not for JoAnns!
Megi

United States

#19 Nov 7, 2007
Miss J wrote:
I have placed orders on line for seversal years. Now i will find another company. So sad.
Actually, Miss J, the online store is a separate company, so don't let this stop you!:) Joanns was dumb a few years back and sold their rights to the website and are now desperately fighting to get it back. I know this cause I work at Joanns and have to explain it to people all the time when we don't carry the same stock, lol.
Kate in Calif

United States

#20 Nov 12, 2007
I work at Joanns in Calif.and after reading these comments I finally feel justified in my complaints. I am a manager. I too am underpaid and worked like a dog.With no hours for enough staff for guest service,the guest is the one to suffer.I am limited in the things I can tell the guest,So I give them corporates number and ask them to extend there complaints.Many have come back with a negative response.But we keep plugging away and apologize to them.
I feel the corporate mind set is the almighty dollar,but without us pions they would not get their almighty dollar.How long has it been since they worked at a store level,side by side with us, if ever.They DONOT get it.
I will be seeking other employment after the first of the year.I will not leave my team stranded at the busiest time of the year.
I wonder if the higher ups remember there is no I in team,and without Qualified satisfied Team members,YOU LOSE.
jo_ann_blows

San Francisco, CA

#21 Nov 30, 2007
Strike the foul joint. Make UPPER management pay-through the WALLETS! ratsasses

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eureka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TAP helps people get back home; bus tickets, ga... (Nov '11) 7 hr Lizzie 267
Review: Wayne Bare Trucking (Nov '10) Dec 17 guest 26
What's with all this hate towards Armenians? (Jul '10) Dec 17 Jack Mehoff 185
Looking for my DL Samoan or Tongans? Dec 14 PolySwagg 1
Why I hate China (Aug '11) Dec 13 tacarlisle 172
Review: Be Well Nursing Registry (Jul '11) Dec 13 RNJ83 8
Hash receives 11 years in prison (Jan '09) Dec 12 marianne anderson 86
Eureka Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web