Police: Man shot near Benbow

There are 31 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Dec 8, 2010, titled Police: Man shot near Benbow. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

The Humboldt County Sheriff's Office is investigating an incident that occurred late Monday night on U.S. Highway 101 near Benbow during which a man had been shot.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
NATIVE

Madera, CA

#1 Dec 8, 2010
Good job! It's great to see that this "Good Samaritan" was able to protect himself after attempting to be helpful to someone who was endangering himself and other drivers! Of course the idiot he shot will now try to sue him. Hopefully, he is in a irreversible coma,.
Big Loaf Country

Lafayette, CA

#2 Dec 8, 2010
It was Incident 0529 on the CHP Traffic Incident website.

It says that the Dude jumped out of the Truck at 60 MPH...
Not sure which RP said that. More than one RP (Reporting Party).

Did anyone else see that on CADWEB?(I'm sure some did...)
mwt

United States

#3 Dec 8, 2010
Big Loaf Country wrote:
It was Incident 0529 on the CHP Traffic Incident website.
It says that the Dude jumped out of the Truck at 60 MPH...
Not sure which RP said that. More than one RP (Reporting Party).
Did anyone else see that on CADWEB?(I'm sure some did...)
yes, I got the impression there were 2 incidents....

Since: Feb 10

United States

#4 Dec 8, 2010
"With the man still in the bed of his truck, the driver said he grew more concerned as he kept hunting knives in the bed where the man was. The driver said the man started banging on the rear cab window, eventually breaking it, and then attempted to crawl into the cab.

The driver said he got out of his truck after arming himself with a handgun he kept in his truck. When the man also got out of the truck, the driver said he then drew his gun. The driver said the man approached him, and they got into a short tussle. The driver said he ran to the front of the truck and the other man got into the driver's seat. The driver said when he heard the truck's engine start, he was afraid the man would run over him and he ran to the driver's side and shot at the man once.

The man was struck once by a bullet and remained inside the truck, and the driver remained at the scene until law enforcement arrived"

EXACTLY. When you are under attack now, the police are only minutes away.

Good job to the man with the gun!
p
d
CPetersen

Locust Grove, OK

#5 Dec 8, 2010
This is why you don't pick up hitch hikers.
Rhonda

Redway, CA

#6 Dec 8, 2010
Good job. Shouldn't have stopped but nevertheless you defended yourself. I carry a gun in my vehicle because as one poster said, "when you're under attack NOW, the police are only minutes away."

in order

Arcata, CA

#7 Dec 8, 2010
nothing to see here
Cal

United States

#8 Dec 8, 2010
Em... late at night. Stops to assist during a "strange" occurrence and the fight is on!

So, what will toxicology results of the wounded reveal? What were the toxicology results of the driver? Was the driver permitted or otherwise legally allowed to be carrying such a weapon? Did the two know each other?

Will the Times-Standard follow up on this bit of mystery? Stay tune! Details at eleven?
Big Loaf Country

Lafayette, CA

#9 Dec 8, 2010
Cal wrote:
Will the Times-Standard follow up on this bit of mystery? Stay tune! Details at eleven?
There is more to the story...the CADWEB report is different then the TS story...
yay for guns

Santa Rosa, CA

#10 Dec 8, 2010
enough said!

“I don't know who I am”

Since: Dec 07

Fortuna

#11 Dec 8, 2010
Cal wrote:
Em... late at night. Stops to assist during a "strange" occurrence and the fight is on!
So, what will toxicology results of the wounded reveal? What were the toxicology results of the driver? Was the driver permitted or otherwise legally allowed to be carrying such a weapon? Did the two know each other?
Well, this really isn't a news story; it's a Humboldt County Sheriff's Office press release. The Times Standard has come to rely more and more on press releases from police departments since the newspaper doesn’t have the manpower to cover police beats anymore. The Times Standard just does a little light editing and then prints them.

Yes, there are many unanswered questions. And really folks, you are coming up with judgments on the case based on one person's story. You don't know if the person is lying or telling the truth.

Perhaps the shooter is a hero... perhaps he isn't. We don't know yet.

“I don't know who I am”

Since: Dec 07

Fortuna

#13 Dec 8, 2010
Joe wrote:
i would had shot his a--s--s the second he climbed into the bed of my truck.
I would have pulled over, got out, aimed the gun at his head and told him he has three seconds to get out of my truck.
I would count to three, and if he was still in there i would shoot him in the stomach, drag his **** off my truck, leave him in the road and drive away..
stupid crazy b-a-s-t-a-r-d!
You would then be committing at least manslaughter, if not second-degree murder. The fact that you shot the man to ensure maximum suffering and then left him to die would definitely not be in your favor during sentencing. You would spend a good portion of the remainder of you life in jail.

And when you were released, you would be one of those evil ex-cons you folks hate and love to chatter about so much.

I'd rethink that strategy if I were you.
fed up

United States

#14 Dec 8, 2010
Driver probably had a beef with this guy back down in Gridley. He heard about our D.A. and figured he could haul him up to Humboldt, shoot him and walk with probation. We'll probably see more of this as word gets out.
Wild West

Cottonwood, CA

#15 Dec 8, 2010
I heard the dude frantically flagged the driver down, stood in front of his truck and demanded a ride.....driver said no, tried to take-off, dude jumped in the bed. This was the second incident in a matter of minutes.
notbuyingit

Eureka, CA

#16 Dec 8, 2010
Something is fishy here.
Big Loaf Country

Lafayette, CA

#17 Dec 8, 2010
OK...here is Incident #0529...
(pretty much verbatim)

11:34 PM - Ped in roadway

11:46 PM - Another RP states subj jumped into the back of his PKTK

11:50 PM - RP stated he was going to head back to GVille

11:50 PM - RP recalled advs subj jumped OO vehicle while RP was at 60 MPH

11:50 PM - 10-39 CDF

12:07 AM - Per an xray RP SB 101 subj flagged her down

12:07 AM - Poss subj Ben advd xray that subj broke his PU window so he shot him

12:07 AM - 10-39 CDF Lines 14&15

12:31 AM - HSO-SB Ln shut down, blocked by vehicle that subj was shot from

There are 3 more lines of routine traffic (and "xray" is a female)
Gun

Rough And Ready, CA

#18 Dec 8, 2010
Is it legal to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle in California?
A Turkeys Perspective

San Jose, CA

#19 Dec 8, 2010
The way I would have handled it I hope would not be illegal and if any of you posters know it is, please share it!!

I honestly would have handled the whole thing different. IF the man threatened me at all, I would simply speed up very fast in the pickup then SUDDENLY slam my brakes on as hard as I could. The man would FALL down or even out of the truck. If he was in after that, I would speed up once again, slam the breaks hard all over again. I would give a pause after slamming the brakes for him to get out of the truck and leave. I would warn him ONE TIME that I was going to do that until he left. If a person did that a few times, believe me, the unwanted hitch hiker would NOT HAVE WANTED TO STAY IN THE TRUCK OR THE TRUCK BED!!!! Especially if you added a few QUICK, SHARP steers to the left or right while you either sped up or braked suddenly. He would get banged up back there hard enough to want OUT!

NO guns needed then. Just doing that a few times would solve the problem in my opinion. The repeated race and sudden breaking motion would make that man very unable to hold any weapon whatsoever. I am pretty sure he would DIVE out, either involuntarily or by choice!!!!!! I hope that would not be an illegal action. I think it is smarter than using any weapons though. You have the power to completely remove his ability to have balance right under your feet. In real life of course, hind sight is 20 20 vision. Most of us don't plan on people jumping into our truck beds!!!! lol
Bah

San Jose, CA

#20 Dec 8, 2010
I opened the paper and read about Israel taking over Mr.Otto house for his own. Then I saw this incident described on the facing page. I immediately thought of ZOMBIES!!!!!!
This is a crazy place to live. How much of our population is just plain bonkers?
Hic Cup

Eureka, CA

#22 Dec 9, 2010
Who stops to pick someone one up in drug crazed Southern Humboldt?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eureka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News TAP helps people get back home; bus tickets, ga... (Nov '11) 7 hr mechel 361
im stuck Sun Mikiesha23 1
Found dog named Midnight May 20 concerned 1
What's with all this hate towards Armenians? (Jul '10) May 20 Glendalian 200
News My Word: Vote no on Ferndale's Measure S (Oct '10) May 19 Great S8 Neighbor 32
News Police investigate possible homicide (Oct '09) May 19 street Dan 37
Why is it that Tongans think they are stronger ... (Jun '11) May 17 TongaMeansOBESE 5
More from around the web

Eureka People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]