Arcata hospital, school on lockdown

Arcata hospital, school on lockdown

There are 49 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from May 27, 2010, titled Arcata hospital, school on lockdown. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

Arcata's Mad River Community Hospital and Pacific Union School are currently on lockdown after a call came into the Arcata Police Department this morning reporting that someone was seen on hospital grounds armed with a gun.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

Agatha

Crescent City, CA

#24 May 27, 2010
Lady Free wrote:
They got him, it was a second grader who was angry as his math teacher for giving him a B instead of B+. He borrowed the colored kid's Mac-10 off him and was spotted putting brown shoe polish on his face and hands during recess. The responding officer screamed loudly and dropped his gun, that's how the child wound up with two. Eventually hunger struck and the kid traded his Glock-9 and Mac-10 for a cheeseburger.
I am sure if one of your family had been involved in the lock down and you didn't know if they were safe you wouldn't think you were such a comedian, which, by the way, you are not. Just sick with too much time on your hands.
Middle of the road

Rancho Cordova, CA

#25 May 27, 2010
Giuseppe wrote:
<quoted text>
What? Your stream-of-consciousness is a fine example of how a certain element in our population confuse rights with laws. Not to mention, you're talking about open cary vice the right to own a weapon. As the law stands now, it is illegal to be in certain establishments like bars, schools, etc with an open carry (having a pistol, for example, with the magazine INSERTED). So that's that. To say law inforcement would be spending all of their resources and our tax dollars is a huge exageration. Reread the T-S article. A man was seen at a SCHOOL with a weapon...ILLEGAL.
Your argument is fallible for many reasons. The most important is that you speculate without an understanding of what you are talking about.
Nobody is advacating any other laws that don't already exist. Open carry is legal, but strictly prohibed in certain public places.
And you obviously don't understand what I'm saying. Let me put it this way:

A certain group of people who are extremely vocal are trying to use their interpritation of the bill of rights to force the issue of open carry all over the united states. If those people get control of government on either the state or federal level, it will be legal to openly carry everywhere with few exceptions.

And if that happens, how do you know if that person with the gun is a criminal or a "good guy" unless you send the cops to every sighting?
I Was There

Arcata, CA

#26 May 27, 2010
I was at the hospital during all the commotion... when i arrived maintainence personell had every entrance to the main building closed. If you were in you were in and if you were out they werent opening the door for you.
I spoke to a couple of doctors about what was happening and their story is definitely not what times standard tells but im not going to argue about facts i am unsure of myself...
Honestly, everyone handled the situation calmly and appropriately i do commend them for that,
however having an AK47 pointed in my general vicinity while waiting for an EKG was slightly unsettling.
As of yet im unsure they ever found the person (had he actually been in the hospital, or not) but good job keeping everyone safe and taking it seriously.
TWP

Cisco, IL

#27 May 27, 2010
Well, what do you know...

Once again, right on cue "I Was There" reports on their eye witness account of the incident.

Isn't it amazing, so absolutely AMAZING that "I Was There" is "always there" and ready to share their experience with the rest of us here on this tiny little forum?

You just never get tired of pretending, do you Road Toad...
Fuller Bud Man

Oceanside, CA

#28 May 27, 2010
TWP wrote:
T-Wipe!
You're drunk kinda early tonight...!
i guess i wasnt

Arcata, CA

#29 May 27, 2010
TWP wrote:
Once again, right on cue "I Was There" reports on their eye witness account of the incident.
Isn't it amazing, so absolutely AMAZING that "I Was There" is "always there" and ready to share their experience with the rest of us here on this tiny little forum?
You just never get tired of pretending, do you Road Toad...
actually i was actually there and if i copied someones previously used name, my bad... just trying to state the point in my name title...
i never said i witnessed the account as i did not speak to the person who made or recieved any phonecalls to dispatch, i was simply saying i was at the hospital during the commotion
Cletus Van Damme

Santa Rosa, CA

#30 May 27, 2010
Yes, the Arcata Police with assistance from the Humboldt County Sheriff deserve lots of kudos for how they handled this potentially disastrous situation. BUT, there are lots of people that deserve a big raspberry for how they chose to handle the situation. I was at the Arcata Police Department to turn in some court papers during part of this fiasco. The poor front office staff and dispatchers were overloaded by thoughtless, selfish people who called them "just because they wanted to find out what was going on by the hospital". There was lots of other stuff going on in addition to this big emergency but the same dummies that call 9-1-1 to ask "was that an earthquake" or "when is my electricity coming back on" called again today. Geez people, use your heads!
TWP

United States

#31 May 28, 2010
Fuller Bud Man wrote:
<quoted text>T-Wipe!
You're drunk kinda early tonight...!
Oh Road Toad, now there you go again...

You know Road Toad, if you are going to keep hiding behind all these silly screen names you really, REALLY should get some new put downs. Using the same old lines under different screen names is a dead give away.

And besides, I thought that your DIRT DEVIL screen names was going to take over as your new lap dog from Wonderz. You post under so many different screen names during your 18 hour a day shifts on these Forums I guess you get confused at your age, huh Road Toad...

Poor neurotic old (and I mean OLD) Road Toad, such a sorry excuse for a man...
Fuller Bud Man

Oceanside, CA

#32 May 28, 2010
TWP wrote:
Oh Road Toad, now there you go again...
You...are...wack...!
Shandy Cobane

Rancho Cordova, CA

#33 May 28, 2010
And I cried ha ha ha ha ha
344thBrother

United States

#34 May 30, 2010
so, what was the upshot on this bruhaha?
let me guess... off duty policeman.
a drill, protecting the hospital.
a kid with a pop gun.
344thBrother

United States

#35 May 30, 2010
Cower in fear!

Be silent!

Don't thimk!

Your supervisor will be around with a urine sample kit.

We'll be needing a thumb print and passport and a valid credit card. With an adequate balance.

You go along to get along.

Don't rock the boat.

The nail that sticks up gets hammered.

Look out for number one.

Why does "My country tis of thee" have the exact same tune as "God save the queen" ?

I think there are a lot of people who are "Woke up" now, so the next logical move is to STAND UP.

Bob Marley had it right.

pftj
d
NSA SFO

San Leandro, CA

#36 May 30, 2010
Monitoring Effective 5/30/2010
128GH34-ST

/V12RED
344thBrother

United States

#37 Jun 3, 2010
It was a drill.
They're going on all over the place.
Or else why would the story just die?
Anyone with further info, come forth please?
I'm not holding my breath.
pftj
d
MRCH employee

Charleston, WV

#38 Jun 4, 2010
344thBrother wrote:
It was a drill.
They're going on all over the place.
Or else why would the story just die?
Anyone with further info, come forth please?
I'm not holding my breath.
pftj
d
Believe me, I was working at the time it was NOT a drill, it was a real report and a real lockdown.

The man who apparently made the threatening call was located and taken to SV for mental evaluation, but never arrested as far as we've heard. His privacy rights prohibit SV or the Police from releasing his subsequently determined mental problems, if any.

As customary, Arcata Police and hospital staff have had debriefings and in-house meetings about how it all was handled and what might be done differently next time. In hospitals there's always a "next time" and we always learn things from the "last time."

Where do you get this nonsense about its being a drill? Are you bored?
344thBrother

United States

#39 Jun 4, 2010
"Where do you get this nonsense about its being a drill? Are you bored? "

It's happening all over the country on a regular basis in schools and hospitals and government buildings. Unannounced drills. I was just commenting that this fit that profile. The mysterious man with a gun drill that then suddenly just vanishes off the news.

But thank you for the informative post on this. So, did they guy have a gun? was he seen on the grounds with it? Or was this just a threatening phone call?

And I fully understand that when you have a credible threat you have to take steps. I was in emergency medicine myself for 20 years, so don't take it personal please.

Here's just a quick google search on lockdown drills. Many of them are done without notice by officers disguised as real violent criminals, complete with swat teams brandishing weaponry and acting as if they are really going to start shooting people.

Personally I think it's a lot of crap.

Thanks for the reply :D
peace freedom truth justice.
d
344thBrother

United States

#40 Jun 4, 2010
344thBrother

United States

#41 Jun 4, 2010
Then there's this type of incident... MRCHperson.

Man shot by Pinole police had cell phone, not gun
The Associated Press
Posted: 06/01/2010 04:45:22 PM PDT

PINOLE, Calif.—Pinole police say a 20-year-old gang member who was shot and killed by two officers last week was reaching for his cell phone, not a gun.

Police Chief Paul Clancy said Tuesday the officers fired at Michael "Mickey" Welch of Pinole on Friday afternoon because they believed he was drawing a weapon from his waistband.

Clancy says Welch had refused the officers' orders to put his hands in the air.

The police chief says officers wanted to talk to Welch, a known gang member on felony probation for a drug conviction, because he was suspected of being involved in an earlier shooting.

The officers have been placed on paid leave pending an investigation by police and the Contra Costa County district attorney's office.

Their names have not been released.

———

Information from: San Francisco Chronicle, http://www.sfgate.com/chronicle
344thBrother

United States

#42 Jun 7, 2010
So, why no details?
I'd really like to know what really happened please.
Anonymous phone tip?
Anonymous phone threat?
Someone seen with a gun?
What happened? Why no follow up?
NSA BRK

Alameda, CA

#43 Jun 7, 2010
344thBrother wrote:
So, why no details?
I'd really like to know what really happened please.
Anonymous phone tip?
Anonymous phone threat?
Someone seen with a gun?
What happened? Why no follow up?
Dave, we are suspect your having a part in this, and it is being investigated as we speak.

/end

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eureka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who is that Big corn fed guy with the horse sho... 6 hr Themonkey65 1
News Burgess pleads guilty to robbery, faces 30 years (Dec '09) 13 hr another loudmouth 73
News TAP helps people get back home; bus tickets, ga... (Nov '11) Jun 29 brianmiller 685
What's with all this hate towards Armenians? (Jul '10) Jun 28 Stupid guys 244
News Bowling memories at Verdugo Hills Bowl (Oct '10) Jun 20 Mike Barrow 2
JoAnns FAbric & Craft Store-Cheats Employees (Jun '07) Jun 17 Kiki 374
News Reggae on the River (Jul '09) Jun 15 Jah Whitey 29

Eureka Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Eureka Mortgages