HSU nursing program once again in per...

HSU nursing program once again in peril: Eight months after being spared elimination, program in ...

There are 69 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Dec 6, 2010, titled HSU nursing program once again in peril: Eight months after being spared elimination, program in .... In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

Months after a community outcry saved it from the chopping block, the Humboldt State University nursing program is again in critical condition.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

Amazing

Mckinleyville, CA

#25 Dec 6, 2010
In order to attract students that can afford today's "public education" HSU appealed to their sensibilities by fully funding, remodeling and expanding P.E., recreation, and entertainment.

There's your priority.

Why does HSU need a "controller"?
Anon

Walnut Creek, CA

#26 Dec 6, 2010
I am a current HSU nursing student. I do not understand why people are posting when they clearly do not know what they are talking about. This is a great program with very nice, supportive intsrtuctors. There maybe issues with admin but as far as the core nursing instructors go- they are second to none. Please do not believe everything that you read. Most of these instructors work in the program at the same time as they are working in the community as RNs or FNPs. The jobs they do are very hard and they do not deserve any of this backlash. Nor do the students that are trying to graduate and enter a field that requires such selflessness and integrity.
In order for HSU to keep it's accredidation, they have to employ so many doctorate level nusing staff. That is mandated by the board of registered nurses, not HSU. As far as nurses not practicing medicine what a poorly thought statement. Is the Dr. the one that is with the patients 24 hrs a day? I have a great respect for Drs. but nurses are the ones that do MOST of the care in the hospital. According to the Attny Gen they also catch more life threatening illness during their practice. So, please post with evidence to back up your statement or post in an area that benefits from meaningless, factless, useless words.
Just Wondering

Walnut Creek, CA

#27 Dec 6, 2010
What do your experiences at St. Joe or Mad River have to do with the status of this program?? I think we need to have a seperate blog titled BS so the people with diarrhea of the mouth have some where to let it flow without interupting the factual, useful posts
Zimba

Berkeley, CA

#28 Dec 6, 2010
Cutten RN wrote:
HSU nursing at Mad River has to be the worst in the State as far accidentally killing or giving the wrong meds. Close Mad River until they straighten things out. Fire the staff, all of them.
Unfortunately I would have to agree. The HSU triage nurse definitely stated a person with fainting and subsequent altered consciousness (NOT due to drugs) was not having a heart attack or stroke, despite no doctor's opinion or any kind of measurement. She then argued loudly with a request to actually do some instrument measurements like oxygen and cardiogram, until the physician was good and ready (read: finishes bandaging another patient).
Thank GOD SHE WAS RIGHT THIS TIME, BUT UTTERLY UNPROFESSIONAL TO ARGUE LOUDLY IN THE HOSPITAL THAT AS A NURSE SHE WAS RIGHT.
Zimba

Berkeley, CA

#29 Dec 6, 2010
Anon wrote:
I am a current HSU nursing student. I do not understand why people are posting when they clearly do not know what they are talking about. This is a great program with very nice, supportive intsrtuctors. There maybe issues with admin but as far as the core nursing instructors go- they are second to none. Please do not believe everything that you read. Most of these instructors work in the program at the same time as they are working in the community as RNs or FNPs. The jobs they do are very hard and they do not deserve any of this backlash. Nor do the students that are trying to graduate and enter a field that requires such selflessness and integrity.
In order for HSU to keep it's accredidation, they have to employ so many doctorate level nusing staff. That is mandated by the board of registered nurses, not HSU. As far as nurses not practicing medicine what a poorly thought statement. Is the Dr. the one that is with the patients 24 hrs a day? I have a great respect for Drs. but nurses are the ones that do MOST of the care in the hospital. According to the Attny Gen they also catch more life threatening illness during their practice. So, please post with evidence to back up your statement or post in an area that benefits from meaningless, factless, useless words.
COMPARED TO WHAT PROGRAM? Obviously if you have only been exposed to the HSU garbage nursing program you would be biassed.

Since: Oct 10

Eureka,Ca.

#30 Dec 6, 2010
Anon wrote:
Thanks for an intelligent informed response to this dilemma. I would think that someone in the program is best suited to talk about the programs strengths and weaknesses over us joe blow citizens who either have an agenda or are repeating what they heard from their neighbors friends mothers daughter in laws day care provider. Get the drift posters. Only speak up on what you know to be fact and not rumor.

Eureka,Ca.

#31 Dec 6, 2010
Just Wondering wrote:
What do your experiences at St. Joe or Mad River have to do with the status of this program?? I think we need to have a seperate blog titled BS so the people with diarrhea of the mouth have some where to let it flow without interupting the factual, useful posts
AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!

Eureka,Ca.

#32 Dec 6, 2010
Zimba wrote:
<quoted text>
COMPARED TO WHAT PROGRAM? Obviously if you have only been exposed to the HSU garbage nursing program you would be biassed.
And you would be better informed than this person. What are your credentials and how many nursing programs have you been involved with?
Sam

Eureka, CA

#33 Dec 6, 2010
I think it is important to keep in mind that while HSU nursing and Mad River Hospital do frequently support one another, they are not the same organization. Likewise, not all nurses who work at Mad River are HSU trained.
The difficulty of finding doctorate trained nurses to teach at university is not unique to HSU, although their problem does seem more severe. Doctorate trained nurses are qualified for a number of jobs that offer a very high salary. The CSU system is not able to pay them anything close to what they might earn elsewhere. This, combined with the fact that nurses in general are in high demand even in this economy, makes finding a qualified individual difficult. Add to that the difficulty of attracting any professional to Humboldt county, and it becomes easier to see the problem.

Eureka,Ca.

#34 Dec 6, 2010
Sam wrote:
I think it is important to keep in mind that while HSU nursing and Mad River Hospital do frequently support one another, they are not the same organization. Likewise, not all nurses who work at Mad River are HSU trained.
The difficulty of finding doctorate trained nurses to teach at university is not unique to HSU, although their problem does seem more severe. Doctorate trained nurses are qualified for a number of jobs that offer a very high salary. The CSU system is not able to pay them anything close to what they might earn elsewhere. This, combined with the fact that nurses in general are in high demand even in this economy, makes finding a qualified individual difficult. Add to that the difficulty of attracting any professional to Humboldt county, and it becomes easier to see the problem.
WELL SAID AND THANKS FOR THE INSIGHT TO SOME OF THE DIFFICULTIES FACING THE PROGRAM.
Anon

Walnut Creek, CA

#35 Dec 6, 2010
Zimba wrote:
<quoted text>
My intent is not to argue or carry myself in an unsavory manner. However, I do feel the need to answer your question. I have been employed at other universities in California. Such as U. C. Davis and Loma Linda. I have had a lot of interaction with a lot of medical departments due to my previous employment. Opinions on programs are just as they are for anything. Ask ten different people and you may get ten different answers. My opinion is backed with twenty years of experience in the health care field. I also feel that it is up to each individual student to gain the most from their education. I stand by what I said the teaching staff at HSU is excellent. I do not understand the need to ridicule HSU's program. All of the staff and students I have been in contact with are very nice, giving people. Why is there a need to state otherwise? I don't understand this mud slinging that is happening. Going through this program is tough enough, I would think you would want to be supportive of us not rude and condescending .

“I don't know who I am”

Since: Dec 07

Fortuna

#36 Dec 6, 2010
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
My intent is not to argue or carry myself in an unsavory manner. However, I do feel the need to answer your question. I have been employed at other universities in California. Such as U. C. Davis and Loma Linda. I have had a lot of interaction with a lot of medical departments due to my previous employment. Opinions on programs are just as they are for anything. Ask ten different people and you may get ten different answers. My opinion is backed with twenty years of experience in the health care field. I also feel that it is up to each individual student to gain the most from their education. I stand by what I said the teaching staff at HSU is excellent. I do not understand the need to ridicule HSU's program. All of the staff and students I have been in contact with are very nice, giving people. Why is there a need to state otherwise? I don't understand this mud slinging that is happening. Going through this program is tough enough, I would think you would want to be supportive of us not rude and condescending .
It's not just you and yours; it's been especially nasty here for the past four or five days. I'm not sure what it is, but everybody is just dripping poison. Sorry to see you get in the middle of it.

However, it was good that you decided to provide your bona fides for us. In any debate or discussion, it's good to know where someone who claims authority of knowledge comes by it.

Good luck in your nursing career, I hope it works out well for you.
I knew it

Eureka, CA

#37 Dec 6, 2010
feldspar wrote:
Unfortunately, the HSU nursing dept is completely dysfunctional. The faculty are mean and factionalized, support staff routinely abused and treated poorly (Nursing has a reputation has a horrible place to work among the HSU staff). They had a chance and they couldn't even come up with a plan. Time to stop throwing good money after bad and fold up the nursing tent. Sad, but it's beyond saving.
They are, they do, and they should.
I knew it

Eureka, CA

#38 Dec 6, 2010
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I will go so far as to agree with your analysis of some of the staff, but I agree with some of the post re: the need to poke a hole in administration head. They are not conducive to the plight of CA. C'mon... no plan, pacification, placation... you name it. Who was the guy who said, "fat, dumb and stupid is no way to go through life son..." Oh yeah... someone in administration!
Josey Wales

Alameda, CA

#39 Dec 6, 2010
I think that California would be better served if HSU cut back on the programs that crank out useless environmentalists who do nothing but produce stupid regulations that limit our freedoms. Keep the nursing program and dump the environmental studies.
HSU alum

Cloverdale, CA

#40 Dec 6, 2010
Zimba wrote:
<quoted text>
The HSU triage nurse definitely stated a person with fainting and subsequent altered consciousness (NOT due to drugs) was not having a heart attack or stroke, despite no doctor's opinion or any kind of measurement.
Any first responder or EMT could have told you that, hell even most boy scouts know that.
Graduate RN

Eureka, CA

#41 Dec 6, 2010
I can't believe the University is again considering eliminating the nursing program. It is one of the most important programs on that campus, and it is unique in the country for it's holistic focus. I believe I received an excellent education while in the program. The University has been underfunding the Nursing Program for a very long time. This contributes to the 'lack of qualified applicants'. They also pay the lowest salarty to Nursing professors than any other university campus in California. The lack of support from the university, along with low wages, poor communication with administrative staff, and high faculty turn over creates an atmosphere of low morale. The nursing dept. budget is always the first to get cut because it's 'the most expensive', however, medical supplies and the things neccessary to produce a class of well trained, knowlegeable, proficient nurses are not inexpensive. We often reused equipment (when possible) to save on resources. The program has pinched every penny, and the univerasity quickly cycles through faculty so they don't have to pay them more, it is still a costly program, but we can't afford to lose it in this area. We must have a supply of excellent nurses coming into our area. We need a bacclaureat program in order to have the experienced and educated nurses that can sustain our needs here on the north coast. It would be madness to shut the program, which they've been plannng for almost a decade now. The University seems to have plenty of money for demolition and construction, why don't they use some money for the EDUCATION portion of the college education experience. After all, students are paying a healthy tuition these days.
HSU better get it's priorities straight when it comes to the needs and desires of this community. They are a state funded college, not a private corporation and we should have a definite say about the neccesary curriculum not just for our area of the state, but to the nation. You can bet I will be protesting this action. I have been protesting by withholding funds from the University during fundraisers. I refuse to support a plan that does nothing for education and instead on 'image and infrastructure". Wake up! We NEED our local nurses!
HSU CNRS Faculty Member

Oakland, CA

#42 Dec 7, 2010
Reply to Graduate RN

1) Money for construction does NOT come from the University's operating budget. It comes from bond issues for constructing and renovating facilities and it can ONLY be used for construction. Folks commonly do not know this.

2) The Chancellor and the Board of Trustees of the CSU are busily working to change the CSU into an administration-ridden top-down institution that runs "efficiently" -- i.e., turns out the maximum number of students at the cheapest cost, which means large classes and contingent (part-time and temporary) faculty. It has been said that the Chancellor looks at the University of Phoenix -- a profit making business with only contingent faculty -- as the model to emulate. And of course the administrative part of the CSU grows & grows. And administrators cost much more than faculty or staff.
Unfortunate but true

AOL

#43 Dec 7, 2010
Whether its a medical group, hospital, private practice or college nursing program, attracting to and keeping qualified people in Humboldt is an ongoing issue for many reasons, including its remote location.
L Sylvester Bentley

Princeton, WV

#44 Dec 8, 2010
Bob Snyder is the problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eureka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News TAP helps people get back home; bus tickets, ga... (Nov '11) 7 hr krissi 364
News How to File A Complaint About DIRECTV (Jul '08) May 25 Jsoudercont 233
What's with all this hate towards Armenians? (Jul '10) May 25 bullet 201
im stuck May 24 Mikiesha23 1
Found dog named Midnight May 20 concerned 1
News My Word: Vote no on Ferndale's Measure S (Oct '10) May 19 Great S8 Neighbor 32
News Police investigate possible homicide (Oct '09) May 19 street Dan 37
More from around the web

Eureka People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]