HSU nursing program once again in per...

HSU nursing program once again in peril: Eight months after being spared elimination, program in ...

There are 69 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Dec 6, 2010, titled HSU nursing program once again in peril: Eight months after being spared elimination, program in .... In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

Months after a community outcry saved it from the chopping block, the Humboldt State University nursing program is again in critical condition.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Truth is Difficult to Find!”

Since: Dec 07

Eureka/Hoopa, CA

#1 Dec 6, 2010
"HSU Provost Bob Snyder expressed concerns about the problems retaining tenure-track faculty and attracting doctorate-trained faculty. Snyder asked the program to come up with a plan to address those issues and to stabilize the department moving forward."

Maybe they ought to look at removing administration and retaining tenure-track faculty and attracting doctorate-trained faculty would not be the problem.
jeez

Beverly Hills, CA

#2 Dec 6, 2010
its just obfuscation as usual...
Thomas Paine Jr

Arcata, CA

#5 Dec 6, 2010
Just wait until they close HSU completely to help balance the states budget.
feldspar

Oakland, CA

#6 Dec 6, 2010
Unfortunately, the HSU nursing dept is completely dysfunctional. The faculty are mean and factionalized, support staff routinely abused and treated poorly (Nursing has a reputation has a horrible place to work among the HSU staff). They had a chance and they couldn't even come up with a plan. Time to stop throwing good money after bad and fold up the nursing tent. Sad, but it's beyond saving.
Humbolter

United States

#7 Dec 6, 2010
Meagan wrote:
<quoted text>
Frank, the medical staff at Mad River saved the life of someone I love. I saw only professionals there. What is your rant about? Got any facts to back up? Or are you just another sad lonely troll?
A doctor and maybe two saved your friend's life. Probaby a tech also. Nurses are there for support only. They do not practice medicine. They follow instructions from the MD.
arcatean

United States

#8 Dec 6, 2010
Here we go again.
John Franklin

United States

#9 Dec 6, 2010
Close it down, the Nurses School really sux and there are far better UC schools that have intense RN classes, as well as Grad programs.
oshkosh

Eureka, CA

#10 Dec 6, 2010
Libster is suing the school and nursing faculty for harassment. The students have been left unimpressed by the situation.
and Mr Provost, if a department is in the ICU, shouldn't you be holding its hand until it becomes functioning again? What's the point of hiring all of these new administrators and then leaving departments in critical need to administer themselves?

Oh ya thats right you're dealing with the messed up Sponsored Programs Foundation. Good thing more student fee money will bail you out of that one with your "loan" from the University Center.
Alex R

AOL

#11 Dec 6, 2010
Meagan wrote:
<quoted text>
Frank, the medical staff at Mad River saved the life of someone I love. I saw only professionals there. What is your rant about? Got any facts to back up? Or are you just another sad lonely troll?
Good for you Meagan and your experience at Mad River. Having interfaced with administration and staff there fro over two years, I will tell you thet are FAR from professional.
Jesus Christos

Beverly Hills, CA

#13 Dec 6, 2010
pray for the little ones...
adultsolutions

Hackensack, NJ

#14 Dec 6, 2010
The subtext of this article is rather clear, that there is some kind of serious problem with some of the people who work and/or run the nursing program at HSU.

The solution is to relieve them. What kind of administrator cannot get rid of employees who do not perform their basic job requirements or harass others into leaving?

They are seriously claiming that they can't find tenure-track professors? In this economy? You have got to be kidding me.

Seriously folks, we need to know what is really happening in this department. The problem is clearly not money or need. The nursing program at HSU is absolutely essential. Something else is going on.
Jimster

United States

#15 Dec 6, 2010
It Boggles the mind that HSU would slice it's throat just because it is hungry. if HSU has to go back to being a technical college, so be it.....
Jimster

United States

#16 Dec 6, 2010
Meagan wrote:
<quoted text>d
I vote troll.....
Sharen

United States

#17 Dec 6, 2010
Union claims nursing jobs becoming far more dangerous
By Rachel Raskin-Zrihen
Posted: 12/05/2010 12:01:46 AM PST

www.timesheraldonline.com/ci_16782811
sick and tired

Amity, OR

#19 Dec 6, 2010
adultsolutions wrote:
The subtext of this article is rather clear, that there is some kind of serious problem with some of the people who work and/or run the nursing program at HSU.
The solution is to relieve them. What kind of administrator cannot get rid of employees who do not perform their basic job requirements or harass others into leaving?
They are seriously claiming that they can't find tenure-track professors? In this economy? You have got to be kidding me.
Seriously folks, we need to know what is really happening in this department. The problem is clearly not money or need. The nursing program at HSU is absolutely essential. Something else is going on.
You nailed it. The problem is with the department and the over-paid and highly ineffective administrators who are incapable of doing the jobs for which they were hired. The problem is not only at HSU virtually every public school in the state. Way too many redundant, overpaid and ineffective administrators protecting their jobs as we all watch the system crumble. The are mostly lying, bureaucratic scum. What are we going to do about it as a society? This is not admin. vs. staff or dept. vs. students ... this is society vs. a completely dysfunctional system. Reform education from California Ed Code down to the classroom. Out with bad teachers and admins, in with fresh talent that behave like the civil servants educators claim to be.

Since: Oct 10

Eureka,Ca.

#20 Dec 6, 2010
Jacqbear wrote:
So what is Snyder being paid for? Why hasn't he intitiated meeting with the department to work on making a plan? Why is he passively sitting on his butt like an emperor with no clothes?
All graduates have to pass a state exam to become RNs. The quality of the program is probably more relevant than the degrees. A doctorate doesn't necessarily guarantee quality teaching. It's the curriculum that makes the students ready to pass the state exam.
In addition there is also a nursing program at CR that graduates students who are prospective RN ready. Perhaps a cooperative relation between the college and university could be a viable solution.
Again I ask how is Snyder earning his money besides being a judgmental bully and academic snob?
Probably the biggest reason Doctorate/Provost Snyder is not doing anything to work on the program is that it appears he does not actually spend a lot of time at the school. Many afternoons he can be found eating and beer drinking with his wife at Lost Coast brewery. Usually it is around 2-3 p.m. not at the usual lunch hour. If this is when he takes his lunch fine, but if he is returning to work then drinking should be out. I mentioned this to a friend and was informed that he spends an equal amount of time at Six Rivers brewery in McK also. I guess if you have a doctorate and a $193,000 salary you get to pretty much write your own ticket especially when his boss[#1 R.R.] is equally as lame.
dispose able

Beverly Hills, CA

#21 Dec 6, 2010
oh if only administrators actually administered, instead of just taking a salary for breathing. the whole society is to blame. disposable society, meet disposable nursing program...lolz.

“I don't know who I am”

Fortuna

#22 Dec 6, 2010
adultsolutions wrote:
I imagine what we are looking at is a possible scenario of "killing the patient to save the patient."

Perhaps the aim of HSU administration is to let the current dysfunctional program die and everybody moves on. Then in a year or two the program is restarted afresh with all new faculty and staff and a whole new curriculum.

I can't see the program being permanently deleted. There is just too much demand for graduates of such a program.

And it would be very sad if students from the local community would loose the chance to study nursing locally and then carry on with their careers locally.

I have a college education only because HSU is here. I could never have afforded to go anywhere else. Even then, I had to leave the area to find meaningful work.

I would hate to see yet another lost opportunity for locals.
Cutten RN

United States

#23 Dec 6, 2010
HSU nursing at Mad River has to be the worst in the State as far accidentally killing or giving the wrong meds. Close Mad River until they straighten things out. Fire the staff, all of them.

“I don't know who I am”

Fortuna

#24 Dec 6, 2010
Cutten RN wrote:
HSU nursing at Mad River has to be the worst in the State as far accidentally killing or giving the wrong meds. Close Mad River until they straighten things out. Fire the staff, all of them.
Are you trolling, or do you have facts to back up your accusations?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eureka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump upset that enemas, drugs..Didn't Work? Tue Mrs groper 2
News TAP helps people get back home; bus tickets, ga... (Nov '11) Tue Katrina Young 790
the eureka ebt office is invited to a mandortor... Sep 25 specail invite 1
eureka ebt office has 1st place prize to occupp... Sep 25 specail invite 1
the owner of eureka ebt office has fired all hi... Sep 25 land preserve 1
the owner of the universe would like to tell eu... Sep 25 land preserve 1
Stranded Sep 23 Chris land 3

Eureka Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Eureka Mortgages