St. Joseph Hospital places ICU nurses...

St. Joseph Hospital places ICU nurses on leave

There are 149 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Jun 26, 2009, titled St. Joseph Hospital places ICU nurses on leave. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

Four St. Joseph Hospital intensive care unit nurses and a clinical nursing supervisor have recently been placed on administrative leave, but hospital administrators are remaining tight-lipped about the reason.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

Anonymous

Walnut Creek, CA

#121 Jul 8, 2009
One Who Knows The Truth wrote:
I know why the nurses were suspended and if this is swept under the rug as the St Joseph administration routinely does then I will come out with the details.
If you really know the truth, then why wait. The fact is that if this was happening to any one of us (in any profession), you would not want the papers publicizing everything that you ALLEGEDLY did wrong. The Times Standard already slandered Dr Selinger good name without any facts or basis, would any of you like that if it happened to you?
One Who Knows The Truth

United States

#122 Jul 14, 2009
The following alleged conduct was overheard from someone in a St Joe's management position. Nurses were (allegedly) medicating their patients so they would not be bothered throughout the night and could sleep. It even came out married nurses having an in hospital affair. If so, I believe they should be fired and criminal charges brought forth. Were they under medicating and taking other patients medications or were bogus orders being written? It was well known that Selinger absolutely did not want to be called at night. Was he involved? What did the unit director know and what did Selinger know? Tampering with medications could bring federal charges, possible assault and loss of license.

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#123 Jul 14, 2009
One Who Knows The Truth wrote:
The following alleged conduct was overheard from someone in a St Joe's management position. Nurses were (allegedly) medicating their patients so they would not be bothered throughout the night and could sleep. It even came out married nurses having an in hospital affair. If so, I believe they should be fired and criminal charges brought forth. Were they under medicating and taking other patients medications or were bogus orders being written? It was well known that Selinger absolutely did not want to be called at night. Was he involved? What did the unit director know and what did Selinger know? Tampering with medications could bring federal charges, possible assault and loss of license.
Medicating a pt so they will sleep is completely legit. Having an affair is unethical, but hardly illegal. Besides if you fired every nurse that had an affair lol there would only be about ten nurses left to work in the entire country.
ICU RN REDDING

Eureka, CA

#124 Jul 14, 2009
One Who Knows The Truth wrote:
The following alleged conduct was overheard from someone in a St Joe's management position. Nurses were (allegedly) medicating their patients so they would not be bothered throughout the night and could sleep. It even came out married nurses having an in hospital affair. If so, I believe they should be fired and criminal charges brought forth. Were they under medicating and taking other patients medications or were bogus orders being written? It was well known that Selinger absolutely did not want to be called at night. Was he involved? What did the unit director know and what did Selinger know? Tampering with medications could bring federal charges, possible assault and loss of license.
You are right on! This has happened before and SJH/RMH fired the nurses, but they did NOT report it to BRN and those nurses are working in other ICU's and probably doing the same thing.

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#125 Jul 14, 2009
ICU RN REDDING wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right on! This has happened before and SJH/RMH fired the nurses, but they did NOT report it to BRN and those nurses are working in other ICU's and probably doing the same thing.
So just what did they do wrong? Give a sleeper?
Ha Ha Ha

Los Angeles, CA

#126 Jul 14, 2009
Now go wipe some more poo poo Nurses
One Who Knows The Truth

United States

#127 Jul 14, 2009
So no one sees anything wrong with a nurse taking a patients meds and giving it to another patient so the nurse can sleep? WTF!
Give me a break

Portland, OR

#128 Jul 14, 2009
"One Who Knows The Truth" needs to learn to communicate more clearly. You did not say nurses were medicating patients with other patients medicine, only that patients were given medication to sleep. Two completely different accusations. Read your own posts before overreacting, silly lady.

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#129 Jul 14, 2009
One Who Knows The Truth wrote:
So no one sees anything wrong with a nurse taking a patients meds and giving it to another patient so the nurse can sleep? WTF!
I think you have been taking to many meds yourself. Who said the nurses were taking sleepers?
Fearful

United States

#131 Jul 16, 2009
I have been in the hospital several times. I thought my health interests were supposed to be the first priority. The thought that I could have (might have been) overmedicated so the nurses could either sleep or "play" is mortifying! If it turns out to be true, I hope they never work in a place of "health & healing" again.
mountain biker

Conroe, TX

#132 Aug 11, 2009
Bill wrote:
To StillTicking
In the setting of an acute heart attack or unstable angina, angioplasty +/- stents are life-savers. For stable angina, it is clear that stents are not useful for extending life, and likely not even useful for relieving angina compared to medical therapy.
If you had a stent placed while having a heart attack, then yes, the procedure "saved" you. Otherwise, probably not.
I'm not being a jerk here, but your reaction to your stent is a good example of why so many unnecessary PCI's are done. Your reasoning is that you had an ugly looking angiogram, the doctor did some high-tech stuff, you are still alive, therefore the cardiologist saved your life.
You already had 100% occlusion of the RCA. Except in the setting of an acute heart attack or unstable angina (as I already mentioned), that means most of your heart blood supply is from the left artery +/- collaterals. Your future survival or symptoms are the same whether you got a stent or not. However, it is basically impossible for your cardiologist to see a severe occlusion in the midst of an angio and not do something about it. The former chief of Cardiology at the Cleveland Clinic calls it the "oculostenotic reflex" on the part of cardiologists.
I repeat: if someone is having a heart attack or unstable angina, angioplasty +/- stent is absolutely the best solution. For all other indications, the science says no.
Colonoscopies? Yes, You should have one if you are over 50 - even earlier for specific indications. Even here, the science is muddled. Really fast operators miss lesions (reported in the medical literature), but really slow guys may be slow because they aren't very good. As in much of medicine, there is no quality control.
But, get the colonscopy anyways.
Bill, since when you became a columnist? Don't quit your day job at the hospital!!
Wanna Be

Eureka, CA

#133 Aug 12, 2009
Wow wrote:
That's quite a half a story the Times-Standard wrote. And imagine, I obtained more information from an anonymous comment on the North Coast Journal blog.
How about talking to staff? Or talking to the people on suspension? Or talking to the doctor who you definitely know the name of? How about writing a real piece of journalism?
Ohhh, sorry, the spokesperson has nothing to say. I guess there's no story here. Sorry folks, what can I do? I'm only a journalist.
You have posted numerous comments on T-S blogs, quoting you are what you say you are WOW, but with those blogs give your opinions, on half truths from the Times-Standard as you put it, if you are a "journalist" as you state, then you would not post your opinions negatively without getting the whole story now would you...a
ShockAndAwe

San Leandro, CA

#134 Aug 24, 2009
It is common knowledge among the nursing community in "Northern California", that this has been going on for 10+ years.

These nurses knew better, but, unfortunately, instead of remaining hard working professionals dedicated to their wrk, and working their assess of like other nurses do, they became indifferent, their jobs an annoyance to their otherwise care free life among the big tree's up there.

These nurses were mediocre at best, and, will easily be replaced with nurses who willingly travel from other states, and work 3 times harder.

GOOD RIDDENS!!!
ICU NURSE REDDING

Eureka, CA

#135 Aug 24, 2009
Because of privacy, the public will never know
why these ICU nurses were fired. TS should never have printed that article. Employees have the privacy and employers can not say why they were let go. Because of some changes now at St. Joe's my guess is, it was a problem with the drugs, but
it's private information that will not be revealed to the public and only the people directly involved will know.......... When a nurse is fired, a new employer cannot ask their former employer why they were let go etc.........
Only question that can be asked, would you hire them again?
In the know

Windsor, CA

#136 Aug 24, 2009
ICU NURSE REDDING wrote:
Because of privacy, the public will never know
why these ICU nurses were fired. TS should never have printed that article. Employees have the privacy and employers can not say why they were let go. Because of some changes now at St. Joe's my guess is, it was a problem with the drugs, but
it's private information that will not be revealed to the public and only the people directly involved will know.......... When a nurse is fired, a new employer cannot ask their former employer why they were let go etc.........
Only question that can be asked, would you hire them again?
Eureka is a small town with only one major hospital. I worked with some of these nurses and know that they did all that they were accused of and more. I transferred out years ago because my concerns fell on deaf ears. They deserved to be fired, should lose their licenses and should face criminal charges as well. Part of the problem is the high turn over of nurse managers in health care. It is very difficult to follow through with discipline when there is a constant parade of managers. That fact that these nurses worked on night shift made it especially difficult to monitor their behavior. Because there were several of them in on the behavior, they were able to intimidate other nurses in to leaving or keeping quite. Also, until the recent past, the night shift at that hospital had a large percentage of traveling nurses. They are less likely to become involved in problems of this nature. It is much easier for them to just move on to the next assignment. So, while the public may never know, the dozens of nurses who have worked with these poor examples of the profession over the years do know and I for one am glad it has finally come out in the open.
Ex St Joe Employee

Windsor, CA

#137 Aug 25, 2009
Eureka is a small town with only one major hospital. I worked with some of these nurses and know that they did all that they were accused of and more. I transferred out years ago because my concerns fell on deaf ears. They deserved to be fired, should lose their licenses and should face criminal charges as well. Part of the problem is the high turn over of nurse managers in health care. It is very difficult to follow through with discipline when there is a constant parade of managers. That fact that these nurses worked on night shift made it especially difficult to monitor their behavior. Because there were several of them in on the behavior, they were able to intimidate other nurses in to leaving or keeping quite. Also, until the recent past, the night shift at that hospital had a large percentage of traveling nurses. They are less likely to become involved in problems of this nature. It is much easier for them to just move on to the next assignment. So, while the public may never know, the dozens of nurses who have worked with these poor examples of the profession over the years do know and I for one am glad it has finally come out in the open.
ICU NURSE REDDING

Eureka, CA

#138 Sep 5, 2009
Read the "Northcoast Journal", the Crazy night
shift ICU nurse that got fired, Wesley Thornton, tells it all. What an idiot. He along with the other ICU that got fired should have their RN licenses taken from them. How embarrassing to the RN Profession.
MI in 2004 at SJH

AOL

#139 Sep 6, 2009
ICU NURSE REDDING wrote:
Read the "Northcoast Journal", the Crazy night
shift ICU nurse that got fired, Wesley Thornton, tells it all. What an idiot. He along with the other ICU that got fired should have their RN licenses taken from them. How embarrassing to the RN Profession.
Thanks for sharing information so important!
Eureka Resident

United States

#140 Sep 6, 2009
so 4 nurses from the icu unit and 1 dr as well have all been fired in other words and none of us out siders need to no what happened , as ive lived in H.C. all my life and st joe's hospital has really seriously gone way down hill, the nurses are snotty, 99.9 % of them they take there good old sweet time helping the patients with anything , when the patients are realsed from the hospital, they are sent home with noooooooooooooooo, instructions to follow.so just how many people lost there lives in the icu unit hear recently, its very wrong of the freaken staff to keep this serious matter a big hush,hush, deal, so what next??????????
Peoplespeak

San Marcos, CA

#141 Sep 6, 2009
Blobs are not sources of News, if by News one means reporting ofsubstantiated facts. BS and unsigned sexually opportunistic fiction is the normal and overwhelming content of the free blog, especially on the T-S threads.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eureka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Humboldt Dermatology - Anne S Carlisle MD (Feb '11) Jul 21 seagazer 16
News Glendale police vow not to enforce federal immi... Jul 18 Meksikali Eshek 4
News Peaceful Protest in Arcata Demands 'Justice for... Jul 9 Herring 4
Poll The KKK is officially a McK organization now in... (Jul '11) Jul 9 Herring 267
Do you LOVE or HATE Eureka? (Mar '10) Jul 2 Blythe bites dust 26
News Foot found in shoe likely not that of missing man (Nov '09) Jun 28 Elynn 15
Why Arcata Sucks (Mar '10) Jun 26 Ceder Pie 36

Eureka Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Eureka Mortgages