Our Nuclear Future

Jun 22, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WhirledView

John McCain wants to build 45 nuclear plants by 2030. Barack Obama says nuclear is worth considering.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
TGD

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2008

It is hard to imagine a nuclear power plant and all the money that goes into building one for the sole purpose of heating water to create steam to run steam generators.
Surely there is a more economical way to heat water.
John

International Falls, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2008

TGD wrote:
It is hard to imagine a nuclear power plant and all the money that goes into building one for the sole purpose of heating water to create steam to run steam generators.
No one has found a cheaper way yet. It looks as if it may be decade or even centuries before any source of energy is found that is cheaper, safer and in adequate supply for the worlds energy needs.
Jennifer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2008

TGD wrote:
They are not jus heating water. It is a complex process that allows this steam to have high amounts of energy to turn very large turbines. nuclear plants may be expensive to build but the advantage to the enviroment and use of a bountiful resource like uranium, far out way the expense. Especially with the depleting supply of coal or oil that we are so dependent on now.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

TGD wrote:
Its purpose is to generate electricity, as well you know, not to heat water.

And, yes, at present there is a "more economical way". It's called coal; it requires the destruction of vast swathes of countryside, kills miners in its extraction, wastes energy in its transportation, kills thousands with its exhaust and alters the atmosphere of our planet more than any other process.

But, on simple finance, it's cheaper, which seems to be all you're interested in.
BDV

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

Joffan wrote:
But, on simple finance, it's cheaper, which seems to be all you're interested in.
It's cheaper because they externalize their health costs.

E.g., I pay for my daughter's inhaler, and we all pay for the care of MEDICARE/MEDICAID enrolled COPD (chronic bronchitis) patients.
jessie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

Jennifer wrote:
<quoted text>
They are not jus heating water. It is a complex process that allows this steam to have high amounts of energy to turn very large turbines. nuclear plants may be expensive to build but the advantage to the enviroment and use of a bountiful resource like uranium, far out way the expense. Especially with the depleting supply of coal or oil that we are so dependent on now.
the nuclear waste is an issue though. Ask up around WA how they're doing on that. Likely to polute countryside and water. They know no way to dispose of this waste from uranium.
Dan

Astoria, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

jessie wrote:
<quoted text>the nuclear waste is an issue though. Ask up around WA how they're doing on that. Likely to polute countryside and water. They know no way to dispose of this waste from uranium.
Jessie you are talking about the waste at hanford which is from the production of nuclear weapons. You are right this is not a good situation but it is being cleaned up by DOE. Should have been done sooner but High level waste (fuel) is not the material that is in Hanford's tanks
jessie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2008

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Jessie you are talking about the waste at hanford which is from the production of nuclear weapons. You are right this is not a good situation but it is being cleaned up by DOE. Should have been done sooner but High level waste (fuel) is not the material that is in Hanford's tanks
You perhaps are correct. I thought it around Richland(?) I noted a few yrs. back, this was waste eating through thick steel tanks fixing to start leaking into the area...and yes, this was from WWII...I think. Can't remember as exact as I did. I did know DOE was sending funds up there and 'creating' so many jobs. Just a concern.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2008

BDV wrote:
<quoted text>
It's cheaper because [coal power stations] externalize their health costs.
E.g., I pay for my daughter's inhaler, and we all pay for the care of MEDICARE/MEDICAID enrolled COPD (chronic bronchitis) patients.
Exactly. So "simple finance", as I put it, is not a very good measure of which system is preferable.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Eunice Discussions

Search the Eunice Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Say it in six words (Jul '08) 5 hr Forum 8,409
Chris Hood Jul 1 OLD Friend 1
Carlsbad animal shelter euthanizes half of its ... Jun 30 Che 41
Review: Cherryberry Jun 30 Alexandria 1
Carrizozo swears in a new chief of police - Rui... (Nov '08) Jun 24 Angelique 1,623
Farmington on list of fastest shrinking cities Jun 20 the truth 18
Alamogordo News Jun 17 Bob Barker 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Eunice Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Eunice People Search