Report: Toyota has blocked access to ...

Report: Toyota has blocked access to 'black box'-type data in c...

There are 5 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Mar 4, 2010, titled Report: Toyota has blocked access to 'black box'-type data in c.... In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

In this Jan. 12 photo released by Roberts & Roberts law firm, an event data recorder taken from the 2008 Toyota Avalon in a deadly 2009 crash, commonly known as EDR, is shown at a wrecker service in Euless, Texas.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

robert

Oceanside, CA

#1 Mar 4, 2010
get these shitboxes off the rode now. rfefund what the owners paid for them.
Henry Ford

United States

#2 Mar 4, 2010
It took a lot less than this to almost kill Audi, and the claims against them were completely bogus.

I never understood why anyone would consider hooking an accelerator up to a computer chip. That is one aspect of a car best left as a mechanical function. Same goes for ignition keys. The strength of the Japanese culture is also it's Achilles heel: they set goals, and they don't deviate, despite overwhelming challenges. Such as... reality.
MTinMO

United States

#3 Mar 4, 2010
The government could easily pass a law that mandates uch info be made available on all cars sold in the US. That said, I am not comfortable with the police being able to have info from my car that I pay for without first having to get my permission. I would think a person should be able to refuse to allow their car to incriminate them if they may be at fault. There is all kinds of other date available, skid marks, impact area, eyewitnesses, etc. It doesn't seem right they could just plug into your car and get all that.
Public Relations Disaster

Long Beach, CA

#4 Mar 5, 2010
We don't need any black box event data. All we have to do is follow the skid marks and the debris field.
honu

Long Beach, CA

#5 Mar 8, 2010
Public Relations Disaster wrote:
We don't need any black box event data. All we have to do is follow the skid marks and the debris field.
Agreed, but those don't always tell the whole story. The "black boxes" have revealed information that has exonerated drivers too.

Nothing in a traffic collision investigation is a stand alone, it's the totality of the evidence used to determine the fault. It's important to have access to all the facts, not just those that a vehicle manufacturer allows.

Toyota's position is self-serving. A pretty convincing case could be made, based on the company's stonewalling alone, that they were fully aware of the problem and did nothing to correct it.

If the data showed Toyota bore no responsibility, you can bet your last nickle that they'd be front and center, hollering to anyone who'd listen, showing proof of their innocence

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Euless Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Irving Mugshots and Criminal Arrest Records Sat Isabella 2
lexi phillips Sep 13 curious 1
News Irving, Texas man indicted for running scheme t... (Jan '07) Aug 27 ghost 7
big daddys swingers club in irving, tx (Jul '10) Aug 27 ghost 45
News Hispanic exodus from Irving, TX hurts businesses (Oct '07) Aug 27 truck owner 255
Horny woman in irving (Feb '15) Aug 27 truck owner 4
News Condemned Irving apartment complex to be torn down (Nov '07) Aug 25 Who cares 43

Euless Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Euless Mortgages