Tarrant says no to tax freeze for sen...

Tarrant says no to tax freeze for seniors, disabled residents

There are 24 comments on the Dallas Morning News story from Jul 19, 2006, titled Tarrant says no to tax freeze for seniors, disabled residents. In it, Dallas Morning News reports that:

Tarrant County commissioners rejected a request Tuesday that they freeze property tax bills for senior citizens and people with disabilities.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dallas Morning News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Daniel

United States

#1 Jul 19, 2006
We are a shrinking minority.. don't expect much better in the future.
John Peter Smith

Fort Worth, TX

#2 Jul 19, 2006
Why should someone get their taxes frozen just because they've reached a certain age. Senior citizens already get an extra exemption on their property taxes. Enough is enough!
Carla

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Jul 25, 2006
Senior Citzens should get a break. GOd forbifd we take care of our elders. Most of these people have worked hard all there life and are on a fixed income. We will be a senior cittzen on day
MJM

United States

#4 Jul 25, 2006
Carla wrote:
Senior Citzens should get a break. GOd forbifd we take care of our elders. Most of these people have worked hard all there life and are on a fixed income. We will be a senior cittzen on day
Which is why we should be able to opt out of the social security system in order to invest more for our own retirements; Or at least privatize the investments to a certain percentage.

At what age again is it that you become responsible to pay my bills? I forgot.

Staying poor in this country is like starving to death in a grocery store: Your choice.
John Peter Smith

Fort Worth, TX

#5 Jul 25, 2006
Carla wrote:
Seniors in Texas already get a property tax break. But it's not enough. Now they want their property taxes frozen, in addition to the senior property tax exemption that they already get.
Myself

San Antonio, TX

#6 Aug 9, 2006
Well, I'm glad I moved. My county does give seniors a break. I guess, Tarrant officials just want more money for their deep pockets.
John Peter Smith

Dallas, TX

#7 Aug 12, 2006
Again, Seniors already get a break on their property taxes. Almost all local governments exempt a certain amount of the value of senior's homes from taxation. But that's not enough? That want their taxes frozen, for life!

All you bleeding hearts might consider the basic unfairness of such a move. First of all, it would impose a higher burden of taxation on young, working families. Second, many senior citizens are, in fact, quite well off. Yet, this dumb move would grant them all the same tax break, whether they need it or not.

It's just plain greedy
MJM

United States

#8 Oct 31, 2006
I'm 36. I'm saving so that you people don't have to pay for my medical care later on.

Or wait, how about this: I have a right to go to a steak restaurant on a credit card every night right now as well as financed vacations so that I don't have any money saved when I get older.
Help! I'm so poor and was so hard working! Please pay my bills for me.

Please send your checks to MJM, Garland Tx....

Please send the money in cash so that I don't have to pay taxes on it too, okay? Oh, and could you do it soon? I want to buy some extra Christmas gifts for children that should be my responsibility, but I would rather it be yours.
jay

AOL

#9 Dec 27, 2006
u shouldnt say that cause some day u are going to be in their shoe

Since: Dec 06

Garland, Tx

#10 Jan 1, 2007
There are senior citizens that are well off. And there are many more senior citizens that are not well off at all - that is just the way it is. Either due to health or other reasons they need help to meet their monthly expenses. Actually, some of it may be directly related to the cost of health care and prescriptions in this country. Yes, they are our responsibility. They are our mothers and fathers. They are our grandmothers and grandfathers,our uncles and aunts. They are us.
Guest1

United States

#12 Jun 15, 2007
Should respect older people. they paid their dues.Many have tried to work hard and save. Some still believe in one parent working so the other can raise the family which is something we need more of.
I dont think takeing the freez off is going to reduce their tax. it will make it go up. With freeze on, dollar amount they pay on their tax bill doesnt go up but in the value still goes up every year. Now that freeze is off, the dollar amount will catch up too the value amount that goes up every year. Then they will get the reduction in school property taxes. They will end up paying more if I understand right.
And the disabled, what about them. Some people are truely disabled. How will they pay more. Not all people who get hurt sue for millions. Many just live off small income with medical bills.
Dwain Fowler

Ellicott City, MD

#13 Jun 25, 2007
John Peter Smith wrote:
Why should someone get their taxes frozen just because they've reached a certain age. Senior citizens already get an extra exemption on their property taxes. Enough is enough!
You must not be very old. Waite until you get old and have to help to stay in your home from your kids.
sticko

La Porte, TX

#14 Oct 11, 2008
if you check the average retired person has less than $2,000 in their savings account. Although their are a lot that have big 401k there are many that have nothing. Live only on social security of about $1,100 a month. Why should they have to pay school tax. their children are grown and not even in school.Here we pay a school tax and a college tax that already get big fees from the students.
so as i see it your not paying for the seniors. the seniors are paying for your children's schooling.
the big factory workers have 401k but the waiters and lot of others dont have.
you try living on social security wages and pay $2,000 a year in property tax and get back with me.
cry baby . Hopefully someone will help you when you get older. and not be sinceless live you.
Les Claypool

Rowlett, TX

#15 Oct 13, 2008
Fixed tax rate for those on a fixed income? Why not! These people have been paying for 40+ years. Give them a break. Make up the difference by not providing free education and health care to ever-growing population of free loading illegals. Just recently our local paper had an article on how the discounted school lunch program is out of money. How and why do people have kids when they can't even pay for a school lunch?

Since: Sep 08

United States

#16 Oct 15, 2008
Read Titles 1,2,3,4,5, and Part 35 of the Americans With Disabilities Act. Don't want to deprive Senator John J.Corona of his money/investments. www.ada.gov or 1-800-514-0301 for ADA Information from the United States Department Of Justice.
Captain

Mansfield, TX

#17 Jun 1, 2009
MJM wrote:
I'm 36. I'm saving so that you people don't have to pay for my medical care later on.
Or wait, how about this: I have a right to go to a steak restaurant on a credit card every night right now as well as financed vacations so that I don't have any money saved when I get older.
Help! I'm so poor and was so hard working! Please pay my bills for me.
Please send your checks to MJM, Garland Tx....
Please send the money in cash so that I don't have to pay taxes on it too, okay? Oh, and could you do it soon? I want to buy some extra Christmas gifts for children that should be my responsibility, but I would rather it be yours.
You know what? I've already paid to get my kid thru school. Why do I have to pay for yours? We are on a fixed income, why shouldn't we get a break. Bleeding heart, we've done our share of bleeding son, now it's your turn!

“the baby who would be king!!!!”

Since: Jan 07

fort worth

#18 Jun 2, 2009
Captain wrote:
<quoted text>You know what? I've already paid to get my kid thru school. Why do I have to pay for yours? We are on a fixed income, why shouldn't we get a break. Bleeding heart, we've done our share of bleeding son, now it's your turn!
if you are alive and breathing the only reason your income is "fixed" is because you don't raise it by your own means
Tea Party

Irving, TX

#19 Aug 27, 2009
The City of Fort Worth is greed city. They are building the water front under the guise of a Federal Flood Program......correct me if I am wrong. The City of Fort Worth is out of control. My folks who live on South Drive are under attack daily for pulling into their driveway due to the lack of The City of Fort Worth Police Department enforcment or lack therof. South Drive is a RACETRAK......NO LIGHT AT GORMAN FOR THE LAST 35 YEARS. IDIOTS!
Tea Party

Irving, TX

#20 Aug 27, 2009
TYPICAL DISPOSIBLE SOCIETY.....OUT WITH THE OLD...IN WITH THE NEW. THE US OF A DON'T GIVE BO DIDDLY ABOUT OLD FOLK......
MOVE OUT OF FORT WORTH IS THE ANSWER.....NO TAX DOLLARS FOR THE GREEDY SWINDLES WHO RUN THE CITY. ANYONE BEEN DOWNTOWN LATELY??? OVERKILL...AND OVERPRICED CONDOS!
citizenx

United States

#21 Aug 28, 2009
MJM, hell you can opt out just don't apply for SS. By the way if economy does not pick up all of you with investments in 401Ks and stock investments you can for get retirement. And thebn agin even with stocks going up- you have no guarantee of winning on the stock market. It is just like putting your money in a slot machine, you win sometimes, loose most of the time. Just look at all those millionaires crying over their losses. And selling off their homes and cars.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Euless Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
J.e. Brady (Jul '15) Sep 26 HE HATE ME 11
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Bedford (Dec '15) Sep 20 stacyrimes84 29
Review: Branson Dental (May '09) Sep '17 Bababoda 45
BOB EDEN PARK - Racists IN PARK told me to get ... (Oct '15) Sep '17 Bib Bob Boo 34
News Murder suspect arrested in double shooting near... Jul '17 Anonymous 2
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Texas (Dis... (Oct '10) Jun '17 AmPieJam UncleSam 19
Review: Green Top Lawn Care (Jun '13) Jun '17 Bigbod 4

Euless Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Euless Mortgages