Minor earthquake shakes parts of Dallas-Fort Worth, National Weather Service says

May 16, 2009 Full story: The Dallas Morning News 12

A minor earthquake shook parts of North Texas but no damage nor injuries had been reported.

Full Story
Ann

Garland, TX

#1 May 16, 2009
We live in Bedford. We too thought a bomb had gone off or a truck had hit the house. Our entire house seemed to jump straight up in the air. We were in the easy chair and it was like going over speed bump. Totally unreal feeling. First time we ever felt something like this and I have lived in TX all my life. All 60 yrs! I agree - these gas drilling companies may be an underlining cause. Sometimes at night I feel light vibrations. We sleep on an air bed. I think its the drilling going on in the area. And we are NOT getting any $$$ from the drilling companies. bummer :(

“Therefore, CHOOSE ...”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#2 May 16, 2009
Ann wrote:
these gas drilling companies may be an underlining cause.(
:-)

it doesn't make any difference to remove the natural gas.

the epicenter is ~3 miles under Trinity River, just west of 360.

There used to be a mountain range through the Dallas area, the roots of those mountains are still underground (since only above-ground weathers). It's the same mountain belt that connects the Ouchita mountains north of us. That belt abruptly turns south, heads under Dallas, pops up in the Austin area (the granite there is the roots of mountains), then abruptly turns West to show up out in Big Bend. It used to be the edge of the North American continent before the Gulf of Mexico closed/opened.

This is two earthquakes in 7 months or so. Remember the Oct 31, 2008 earthquakes in Irving?

felt like a semi hit the house, or the hot water heater exploded. over here, folks were coming out of their houses.
just passing by

Dallas, TX

#3 May 16, 2009
years ago in dallas they were building in down town dallas and they ran into a fault there that caved in. I beleive that is a fault that runs down in the area to Austinand from OKlahoma. if I remember correctectly. took a while to fill that cave in up.
Katie

Sachse, TX

#4 May 16, 2009
I live in Garland and was asleep, at the time. I have no idea if it was felt over here. Bummer. It would have been an interesting experience.
Bow

Dallas, TX

#5 May 17, 2009
We felt it here in Colleyville. Bed shook, furniture moved and wiggled. Kinda like what jello does when you touch it. lol. We were in one in Los Angeles in 1987 and this was very similar.
Jason

Waterloo, IA

#6 May 18, 2009
I live in Euless and felt it. Felt like a truck hitting the side of the house, everything shook!
austinperson

Manor, TX

#7 May 18, 2009
felt like one just rolled through austin. monday, 11:37 am, 5/18/09.
Jason wrote:
I live in Euless and felt it. Felt like a truck hitting the side of the house, everything shook!
kelkal

Mount Vernon, WA

#8 May 26, 2009
Ann wrote:
We live in Bedford. We too thought a bomb had gone off or a truck had hit the house. Our entire house seemed to jump straight up in the air. We were in the easy chair and it was like going over speed bump. Totally unreal feeling. First time we ever felt something like this and I have lived in TX all my life. All 60 yrs! I agree - these gas drilling companies may be an underlining cause. Sometimes at night I feel light vibrations. We sleep on an air bed. I think its the drilling going on in the area. And we are NOT getting any $$$ from the drilling companies. bummer :(
It is scary I live in the NW and have only had one and it is unnerving. We are thinking of moving to your area. Isnt tornadoes prevalent and more scary???Been in those too:)
bto

United States

#9 May 27, 2009
kelkal, yes the most destructive force you'll find in Texas is tornadoes but preparation and common sense will keep you out of trouble. I've lived here for 30 years and can remember a few bad ones but nothing compared to hurricanes, wild fires, floods, and earthquakes. There's a few things that could be used to dissuade you from moving here (not my intention) but they are man made.

Texas is just as prone to earthquakes as California. Maybe a geologist can explain why were not as affected by them as California but when you really think about it the High Five interchange and the old highway mix masters of are really just decks of card sitting there. As are all of the man made structures with the exception of some concrete buildings.
ride um

Cleveland, TX

#10 May 28, 2009
Never thought the expression ride um cowboy would mean riding out an earthquake! WHOA the dry ground got too soggy with recent rains and swelled up and moved hey? I saw dry cracks soo deep in San Antonio I thought I could see the devil. Ya know, Beaumont has had sink holes because of drilling. A real reality not just a movie idea!

“One Nation Under God”

Since: May 09

Texas

#11 May 28, 2009
ride um wrote:
Never thought the expression ride um cowboy would mean riding out an earthquake! WHOA the dry ground got too soggy with recent rains and swelled up and moved hey? I saw dry cracks soo deep in San Antonio I thought I could see the devil. Ya know, Beaumont has had sink holes because of drilling. A real reality not just a movie idea!
Yea, I've seen those as well. Some think "Cool" but I think WoW!
nancy

United States

#13 Sep 30, 2012
I live in Grapevine and we felt everything shaking ..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Euless Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 3 hr Liberal forever 18,787
TX Who do you support for Commissioner of the Gene... (Oct '10) 5 hr Fossilfarts 386
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 11 hr Gasman 22,769
TX Who do you support for Commissioner of Agricult... (Oct '10) 16 hr Gasman 597
TX Who do you support for Attorney General in Texa... (Oct '10) 16 hr Gasman 693
TX Who do you support for Railroad Commissioner in... (Oct '10) 16 hr Gasman 808
Need your help locating someone! Sep 28 Sarahmarie05 1

Euless News Video

Euless Dating
Find my Match

Euless Jobs

Euless People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Euless News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Euless

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]