Bill would allow first-time DWIs to be acquitted

Full story: El Paso Times

A new legislative proposal would allow first-time drunken drivers in Texas to be acquitted if they complete supervision and treatment, a move supporters say would reduce court backlogs and shift the judicial system's focus to punishing repeat DWI offenders.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 34 of34
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
24 Charlie 0 0

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2010

Judged:

Nuts not jusdt mad wrote:
This state rep and madd are both nuts. all this talk about the innocent first time offender is a bunch of crap. the first time you get caught is exactly that the first time YOU GOT caught, it does not mean that it was the first time you drank and drove you IDIOTS. Just because something is hard does not mean you throw in the towel which is exactly what mad is doing. I will now look for another organization to support because mad has gone nuts. I hope our local chapter has not gone loco also!
When you dummy down the laws so that "drunk" means two beers, you eventually run into the truth that it doesn't matter how much campaign money you spend, the country can't afford to put half the population in jail every time they DO NOTHING WRONG. Go back to enforcing DWI laws the way they were when they made sense instead of the pet project of a select few. Guess what? By persecuting the many, your own past is no more clean. Find some other form of penance.
Finepix

Sandy, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2010

Judged:

unknown wrote:
I really hope this law dont get passed. With this law being passed it's pretty much saying "hey go get drunk it s ok we'll waive your first time offense"!Oh but wait i forgot most of you have never lost a loved one or been involved in a accident.I was involved in a crash a while back and almost lost my life and that person has never been charged only a few fines. what about the police officer from the eppd that died a while back...i hope everybody rethinks this law cause i can honestly say there will be more deaths with this law cause first time offenders wont have nothing to worry about and make it more ruthless.we should just waive everybodys charges all our first felony offenders or how about the U.S soldiers that have been caught for drug trafficking just cause they in the service they dont get charged come on most of our laws are jokes.so after this law whats next we gonna start waiving all second time offenders also and most poeple in jail are gonna want a retrial.i hope no one every looses some one to drunk driving or involed in a car crash due to drunk drivers.........!
Hey guesss what - I'm going to go get drunk anyways. I don't care about no stinkin' law.
Newsman

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2010

I just read all of Chip's posts and not only is he eloquent, he is right repeatedly.
MADD is totally out of control; run by a group of single issue types.
Amen Chip, Amen.
24 Charlie 0 0

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

Newsman wrote:
I just read all of Chip's posts and not only is he eloquent, he is right repeatedly.
MADD is totally out of control; run by a group of single issue types.
Amen Chip, Amen.
Absolutely agree, and until they are reined in, jury nullification is the main tool to right the wrong as it has been for me for many, many years.
24 Charlie 0 0

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

Not a good idea wrote:
How can becoming lenient on drunk drivers actually make society a better place? The laws are not harsh enough as they are because if they were then people would not drive drunk.
I apologize to the people that I offend with this post but my best friend of 20 years was killed by a drunk teen driver. He left a widowed wife and four kids without a father.
As if that were not enough, last year a co worker of mine was riding his bike when a drunk lady ran him over killing him.
The people who destroyed these families swore up and down that they didn't mean to do it and that they were sorry.
For those who want to change the laws I hope that you and your families are not affected by the drunks you place back on the road with a light slap on the wrist.
And you have proof that these accidents would not have happened due to carelessness even if the people were stone sober? No, you don't. And tell us again how ruining the life of someone that has two drinks on the way home (remember, the law keeps dummying down until the thought of a beer is a crime)will bring these people back to life? It won't. And finally, how many people are fried for DWI in accidents that truth to tell were not even their fault had they been stone sober, but because they had a drink, they became the scapegoat and the actual guilty party became the martyr.

Watch the roads daily, traffic laws are broken consistently, but since the driver has not been drinking and no accident is caused (this time), enforcement is very lax.

In the past, DWI laws applied to people that were actually drunk, now it has become nothing but a tool for absolute moralists that have decided that alcohol is the great Satan.
moosecholak

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

Chip wrote:
Most people have experienced a DUI/DWI
incident which resulted in injuries or
death. This is Not a get of trouble card.
It is a chance to clear up the court dockets
which clog the court system. A guilty plea
here keeps the system doing what it was meant
to do. This also doesn't ruin a persons 1-time
mistake into a life long felony conviction.
The passage and implementation also mean your
1st time was a prior incident and Now the
2nd will be dealt as such.
According to the reports even MADD realizes
the problem and supports its passage. Who
more than a group of people who know what
the issue translates too.
I do not think it is much different than what is going on now. Probation???? They are too busy to check up on the person such as urine tests, so the offenders still drink and whatever. The police let them go because they do not want the paperwork. These offenders pay their fines and do their time and are back drinking and driving again a year later.
it is

Canutillo, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

24 Charlie 0 0 wrote:
<quoted text>
And you have proof that these accidents would not have happened due to carelessness even if the people were stone sober? No, you don't. And tell us again how ruining the life of someone that has two drinks on the way home (remember, the law keeps dummying down until the thought of a beer is a crime)will bring these people back to life? It won't. And finally, how many people are fried for DWI in accidents that truth to tell were not even their fault had they been stone sober, but because they had a drink, they became the scapegoat and the actual guilty party became the martyr.
Watch the roads daily, traffic laws are broken consistently, but since the driver has not been drinking and no accident is caused (this time), enforcement is very lax.
In the past, DWI laws applied to people that were actually drunk, now it has become nothing but a tool for absolute moralists that have decided that alcohol is the great Satan.
alcohol is satan pendeja!
Newsman

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

Hey, "It is", are you being sarcastic, sardonic and facetious?

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

There is a much better way.

Card every person that purchases any alcohol. If they present a TDL the seller confiscates it and turns it into the TABC and gives the patron the alcohol. Then, the TABC issues a TDL "Texas Drinkers License" in place of the Texas Drivers License. Of course one would still have to present proof of insurance. It could be dubbed...

TEXAS: Drink OR Drive.
Chip

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

Most people have experienced a DUI/DWI
incident which resulted in injuries or
death. This is Not a get of trouble card.

It is a chance to clear up the court dockets
which clog the court system. A guilty plea
here keeps the system doing what it was meant
to do. This also doesn't ruin a persons 1-time
mistake into a life long felony conviction.

The passage and implementation also mean your
1st time was a prior incident and Now the
2nd will be dealt as such.

According to the reports even MADD realizes
the problem and supports its passage. Who
more than a group of people who know what
the issue translates too.

Local Dude

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

OK, a little fact checking here. In Texas DWI is NOT a felony until the THIRD time the individual is caught and convicted, unless there is a child passenger. The first two are misdemeanors.
Which means, the way things stand now, you get caught drinking and driving, which you should know is a) illegal, b) dangerous and c) just plain wrong to begin with. But OK, you get one arrest, pay a fine and are placed on probation. OK, everyone makes mistakes in their lives. Fair enough.
You get caught a second time. There's no excuse. Because, not only do you have a, b and c from above, now you can add d) fail to learn your lesson from the first mistake.
So, some jail time, more probation after that and another hefty fine. You've learned drinking and driving is not a good idea right?
Wrong. You get busted a THIRD TIME for doing the same stupid crap. You're up the creek now, right? Third degree felony, punishable up to 10 years in prison. But no, for most first time FELONY DWIs, it is ANOTHER term of probation, maybe some jail time and ANOTHER big fine.
But certainly those good old boys have learned their lessons now, right. Certainly, with all this probation they've endured, they finally got it through their thick heads that DRINKING AND DRIVING IS AGAINST THE LAW, PERIOD.
But, sadly, no. I cover criminal cases for the local newspaper and you would not believe how many people come before the courts for their fifth, sixth, or even more DWIs. And those are just the ones where they are caught! Putting repeat drunk drivers on probation DOES NOT WORK, because they don't learn from their mistakes. Sure, the taxpayer can agree to give these idiots treatment, but the question is why they aren't undergoing treatment themselves, even after repeat arrests? Perhaps because their drinking has become such a part of their lives that they don't want to stop, which again means they will continue to go out and threaten their lives and the lives of others by driving drunk.
You want to have a few beers on the way home, fine, that's your business. Obviously the constant cries that what your doing is dangerous don't bother you. But if you get caught, or have an accident, or hurt of kill someone, please don't come out and bitch about how unfair the DWI laws are in Texas. You took your chances, you pay your price.
24 Charlie 0 0

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2010

Local Dude wrote:
OK, a little fact checking here. In Texas DWI is NOT a felony until the THIRD time the individual is caught and convicted, unless there is a child passenger. The first two are misdemeanors.
Which means, the way things stand now, you get caught drinking and driving, which you should know is a) illegal, b) dangerous and c) just plain wrong to begin with. But OK, you get one arrest, pay a fine and are placed on probation. OK, everyone makes mistakes in their lives. Fair enough.
You get caught a second time. There's no excuse. Because, not only do you have a, b and c from above, now you can add d) fail to learn your lesson from the first mistake.
So, some jail time, more probation after that and another hefty fine. You've learned drinking and driving is not a good idea right?
Wrong. You get busted a THIRD TIME for doing the same stupid crap. You're up the creek now, right? Third degree felony, punishable up to 10 years in prison. But no, for most first time FELONY DWIs, it is ANOTHER term of probation, maybe some jail time and ANOTHER big fine.
But certainly those good old boys have learned their lessons now, right. Certainly, with all this probation they've endured, they finally got it through their thick heads that DRINKING AND DRIVING IS AGAINST THE LAW, PERIOD.
But, sadly, no. I cover criminal cases for the local newspaper and you would not believe how many people come before the courts for their fifth, sixth, or even more DWIs. And those are just the ones where they are caught! Putting repeat drunk drivers on probation DOES NOT WORK, because they don't learn from their mistakes. Sure, the taxpayer can agree to give these idiots treatment, but the question is why they aren't undergoing treatment themselves, even after repeat arrests? Perhaps because their drinking has become such a part of their lives that they don't want to stop, which again means they will continue to go out and threaten their lives and the lives of others by driving drunk.
You want to have a few beers on the way home, fine, that's your business. Obviously the constant cries that what your doing is dangerous don't bother you. But if you get caught, or have an accident, or hurt of kill someone, please don't come out and **** about how unfair the DWI laws are in Texas. You took your chances, you pay your price.
And of course the special interest groups keep lowering the amount of alcohol constitutes a DWI, while the same driving offense committed while not "impaired" is alright. My wife is 100% disabled from a driver that was not drinking that rear-ended her on the freeway, that's alright. I was injured and my car was totaled by a driver that was seeing how fast his new car would go (again, on the freeway), but he wasn't drinking, so that's alright. My best friend is permanently disabled by a driver because the red light didn't apply to her, but she wasn't drinking, so that's alright. All of these drivers that caused these accidents are back on the street driving because they weren't drinking. DWI laws are not about safety, they are about legislating morality.
Local Dude

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2010

But the fact simply remains that, despite whether the law is designed for safety or legislating morality, the people it is designed to impact are not getting the message. I am sorry that you and yours have been adversely effected by other forms of idiot drivers, but that still doesn't mean that those who purposely choose to drink and impair their judgement before getting behind the wheel should be allowed to get a free pass either. The truth is, the laws which you so many others seem to think are so unfair are supposed to get through the message that drinking and driving is wrong, although too many people choose to ignore it at their peril and the threat of damaging others. And, as I pointed out, drunk drivers already get multiple chances to learn from their mistakes before they hurt or kill someone and many refuse to do so.
So the question is, how would reduce the penalties as they stand now help anything, except give those who don't deserve one yet another chance?
Chip

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2010

This would be good change of offering treatment
and a program to show the consequences and pay
for it through constructive measures.

It would be a good 2nd chance for many first
time offenders who statistically won't do it
again. This would also reduce the huge backlog
of cases pending in courts around Texas.

This is a problem with people wanting to throw
the book at these first time offenders. Paying
a fine and it not being a felony would be a
huge relief for the thousands of decent
citizens out there. The people who become
held back because of a failure in judgment
of drinking too much on 1 occasion.

Heavy probation and paying a fine will usually
straighten out this occurrence.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 34 of34
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Euless News Video

•••
Euless Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Euless Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••