Bill would allow first-time DWIs to be acquitted

Full story: El Paso Times

A new legislative proposal would allow first-time drunken drivers in Texas to be acquitted if they complete supervision and treatment, a move supporters say would reduce court backlogs and shift the judicial system's focus to punishing repeat DWI offenders.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of34
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Mins

Casa Grande, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Judged:

I think its a good idea, however, if someone is killed by the driver during that first DWI, all bets are off.
listen up people

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Judged:

Did Dubya initiate this one before he left office?
24 Charlie 0 0

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Judged:

Finally a little common sense in what has become a hijacked legal system. Let's face it, MADD is a Political Action Committee that has bought a lot of laws. And no, I have not drank alcohol in almost twenty years.
24 Charlie 0 0

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Judged:

listen up people wrote:
Did Dubya initiate this one before he left office?
It would still be a good idea, regardless of who initiated it.
Vote for Pedro

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Judged:

Would this be retro active? I hope so..
El Muerte

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Judged:

24 Charlie 0 0 and I agree. This has gotten out of hand. Some of these laws actually hurt the people they are meant to protect. Because these laws are so rigid. Offender drive vehicle without license or Insurance. Why, because they penalize the person 3 times. 1st, at jail. 2nd during court. 3rd renewal of license.

And yes, I did get a DWI 25 years ago, paid the fine of $2000 for 4 beers. That has been the most expensive beer I'd ever drank.

By today standards, this is cheap, it can cost a total of $12,000 to $20,000 dollar of the first offense. Many people can not afford this and results into breaking the law without license and insurance.

There has to be a better way in doing this.
unknown

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Judged:

I really hope this law dont get passed. With this law being passed it's pretty much saying "hey go get drunk it s ok we'll waive your first time offense"!Oh but wait i forgot most of you have never lost a loved one or been involved in a accident.I was involved in a crash a while back and almost lost my life and that person has never been charged only a few fines. what about the police officer from the eppd that died a while back...i hope everybody rethinks this law cause i can honestly say there will be more deaths with this law cause first time offenders wont have nothing to worry about and make it more ruthless.we should just waive everybodys charges all our first felony offenders or how about the U.S soldiers that have been caught for drug trafficking just cause they in the service they dont get charged come on most of our laws are jokes.so after this law whats next we gonna start waiving all second time offenders also and most poeple in jail are gonna want a retrial.i hope no one every looses some one to drunk driving or involed in a car crash due to drunk drivers.........!
Ex El Pasoan

Discovery Bay, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Judged:

Only in Texas!
Chip

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Judged:

This would be good change of offering treatment
and a program to show the consequences and pay
for it through constructive measures.

It would be a good 2nd chance for many first
time offenders who statistically won't do it
again. This would also reduce the huge backlog
of cases pending in courts around Texas.

This is a problem with people wanting to throw
the book at these first time offenders. Paying
a fine and it not being a felony would be a
huge relief for the thousands of decent
citizens out there. The people who become
held back because of a failure in judgment
of drinking too much on 1 occasion.

Heavy probation and paying a fine will usually
straighten out this occurrence.

Chip

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Judged:

Mins wrote:
I think its a good idea, however, if someone is killed by the driver during that first DWI, all bets are off.

Pretty sure these legislators will put a clause not
allowing injury or death to let a first time offender
get off. Homicide/manslaughter is a different story.

Chip

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Judged:

El Muerte wrote:
24 Charlie 0 0 and I agree. This has gotten out of hand. Some of these laws actually hurt the people they are meant to protect. Because these laws are so rigid. Offender drive vehicle without license or Insurance. Why, because they penalize the person 3 times. 1st, at jail. 2nd during court. 3rd renewal of license.
And yes, I did get a DWI 25 years ago, paid the fine of $2000 for 4 beers. That has been the most expensive beer I'd ever drank.
By today standards, this is cheap, it can cost a total of $12,000 to $20,000 dollar of the first offense. Many people can not afford this and results into breaking the law without license and insurance.
There has to be a better way in doing this.

Couldn't have been said better. These let us hang em
laws have gone too far.

Most people who get them are ruined for life because
of a 1 time bad judgment. A felony will prevent many of
these hard working decent people to be productive
citizens. It hurts the family in the long run due to
these going too far laws.

Good post.

unknown

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Judged:

this is basically a "A SLAP ON THE WRIST"
unknown

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Judged:

this is just a "SLAP ON THE WRIST" and as for them not being able to work at a good job well they should nt have drank and drvien in the first place "if you cant do the time dont do the crime"
Chip

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Judged:

A heavy probation, treatment program, time
doing community service, monitoring, and
sometimes those pills which make them sick
if they consume alcohol, and other safeguards
are Not slap on the wrist punishments. These
go to far laws are too much and should be
limited in scope. Most of the time these
people live a straight life with never a
problem but a lesson learned.

Then the people who push for these law
do Not want to raise their taxes to pay
for the prison costs to incarcerate the
people who they push to be penalized.

Texas prisons are overcrowded now. The
costs are now exceeding the budgets
allotted to them. Taxpayers don't
want to raise their taxes to pay for
them either. This is a good bill and
should be passed.

Government Cheese

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Judged:

Sweet! Get outta jail free card... Meet you guys at the bar.
Not a good idea

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Judged:

How can becoming lenient on drunk drivers actually make society a better place? The laws are not harsh enough as they are because if they were then people would not drive drunk.

I apologize to the people that I offend with this post but my best friend of 20 years was killed by a drunk teen driver. He left a widowed wife and four kids without a father.

As if that were not enough, last year a co worker of mine was riding his bike when a drunk lady ran him over killing him.

The people who destroyed these families swore up and down that they didn't mean to do it and that they were sorry.

For those who want to change the laws I hope that you and your families are not affected by the drunks you place back on the road with a light slap on the wrist.
Chip

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2010

Judged:

Most people have experienced a DUI/DWI
incident which resulted in injuries or
death. This is Not a get of trouble card.

It is a chance to clear up the court dockets
which clog the court system. A guilty plea
here keeps the system doing what it was meant
to do. This also doesn't ruin a persons 1-time
mistake into a life long felony conviction.

The passage and implementation also mean your
1st time was a prior incident and Now the
2nd will be dealt as such.

According to the reports even MADD realizes
the problem and supports its passage. Who
more than a group of people who know what
the issue translates too.

unknown

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2010

Judged:

MADD is supporting this till they realize it s a joke and people are gonna take advantage of this bill.As far as the court system that what it s here for to prosecute people who break the law, but hey now that we letting drunk drivers off with a warning we should let any robber,rapist,drug dealer murderer off with a warning also their first time that way THEY WONT HAVE A FELONY FOLLOW THEM THE REST OF THEIR LIVES (1-TIME MISTAKE).......the court system should just do their job and not cry about ABOUT BACKED UP CASES
El Gringo Macho Man

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2010

Judged:

Look you'll all! I know people get hurt. But life is not easy. And I'll will say this, if people pay more attention to their own driving, less accident will happen. This is proven, keeping your eyes on what is happening around your vehicle is the number one safety rule that you can apply.

I have deter from many a accidents watching the other guy. I rather the law changes than continuing with the currect law where I know many people are driving without insurance and license.

I have seen people go to jail and have many a tickets over $2000 worth and do 1 nite in jail. Time served, get out, clear of all fines.

Why, it cost the city, county and state money. The innocent person with a 1 time offends wants to get out and pay the fine. Then realizing she/he cannot afford it.
Nuts not jusdt mad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2010

Judged:

This state rep and madd are both nuts. all this talk about the innocent first time offender is a bunch of crap. the first time you get caught is exactly that the first time YOU GOT caught, it does not mean that it was the first time you drank and drove you IDIOTS. Just because something is hard does not mean you throw in the towel which is exactly what mad is doing. I will now look for another organization to support because mad has gone nuts. I hope our local chapter has not gone loco also!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of34
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Euless Discussions

Search the Euless Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 26 min Poo 16,068
TX Who do you support for Attorney General in Texa... (Oct '10) 3 hr Jasmine 596
TX Who do you support for Railroad Commissioner in... (Oct '10) 6 hr ThinkThinkThink 684
Car accident victim 7 hr Injured party 1
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) Tue Deer Sausage 20,408
Review: Kaner Medical Group - David K Livingsto... (Nov '08) Tue Ushouldno 38
Irving Police Department is a joke (Jan '10) Tue Mr Big 8778 46
•••
•••

Euless News Video

•••
Euless Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Euless Jobs

•••