Gov. Rick Perry vetoes bill lifting s...

Gov. Rick Perry vetoes bill lifting sex offenders 21, younger f...

There are 130 comments on the El Paso Times story from Jun 28, 2009, titled Gov. Rick Perry vetoes bill lifting sex offenders 21, younger f.... In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Aaron Jernigan had just started college at age 18 and was planning a career as a music teacher when he met a girl at a party and his whole world changed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
cboeman

El Paso, TX

#1 Jun 29, 2009
this mass labeling of people as criminals without due process is patently unconstitutional, and is NO different than what the nazis did to groups of people in germany. this is why the republicans are losing everything
_Arrrrrrr

Daly City, CA

#2 Jun 29, 2009
cboeman wrote:
this mass labeling of people as criminals without due process is patently unconstitutional, and is NO different than what the nazis did to groups of people in germany. this is why the republicans are losing everything
You can rest assure that when governor Rick Perry was a, 18-19 year old teenager himself he did'nt have any problem poping 17 year old virgins, today in his position to uphold the law it's a double standard matter.
Devil Child

United States

#3 Jun 29, 2009
F' Rick Perry. Ive hated his guts ever since that incident he had where that DPS trooper gave someone a speeding ticket for 5 or 10 miles over then that same trooper pulled his caravan over for doing 20+ over and while she was doing her job he gets out and intimidates her into letting them "get on down the road" and they got off without even a warning. He's a piece of crap that takes advantage of the position he's in.

God help us if anyone ever talked him into running for President. Hopefully Bush did a bad enough job that it cancels his chances out forever.
Sherry

El Paso, TX

#4 Jun 29, 2009
Thank you Gov. Perry. At least you're a real man standing up for a young woman.
just an elpasoan

El Paso, TX

#5 Jun 29, 2009
Aww, are we supposed to feel sorry for the perverts? Don't commit the crime and you won't have to register.
Border Mama

United States

#6 Jun 29, 2009
Just another reason why sex should be reserved for marriage as God inteneded. When we follow his way then we won't be convicted of sex crimes, we won't get sexual diseases and we won't have unwed mothers! God's way is always best.
Too Simplistic

El Paso, TX

#7 Jun 29, 2009
Yeah, yeah, yeah....EVERYONE follows those rules lol. Even my parents did not follow those arcane rules lol. I do not recall this being a forum for religous preachers. I must have hit the wrong button.
Border Mama wrote:
Just another reason why sex should be reserved for marriage as God inteneded. When we follow his way then we won't be convicted of sex crimes, we won't get sexual diseases and we won't have unwed mothers! God's way is always best.
Too Simplistic

El Paso, TX

#8 Jun 29, 2009
To be honest, I (in a way) feel sorry for these guys that are straight out of high school, go to a party, meet someone that they think is close to them in age and then get arrested for statutory rape. In this case, the girl had a car and a license. The dumb guy should have really checked the documentation, but I guess he was more interested in something else. Still, I feel sorry for these guys who get labeled as sex offenders for cases such as these.
The girl tricked him and knew exactly what she was doing. Yes, 14 year old girls know what they are doing too. He was just a big idiot for not making sure she was the age she said she was. Now his life is pretty much ruined because of this. Sad. And guess what, NO I WILL NOT DEFEND THE GIRL. SHE KNEW WHAT SHE WAS DOING AND IS NOT INNOCENT.
gtommer

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Jun 29, 2009
cboeman wrote:
He was arrested, had the opportunity for trial, and plead guilty. That IS due process. Comparing registration as a sex offender to the Holocaust is idiotic.
Too Simplistic

El Paso, TX

#10 Jun 29, 2009
Here! Here!
gtommer wrote:
<quoted text>
He was arrested, had the opportunity for trial, and plead guilty. That IS due process. Comparing registration as a sex offender to the Holocaust is idiotic.
Babelfish

El Paso, TX

#11 Jun 29, 2009
Taking the plea bargain netted him a sentence of 4 years in prison. Going to trial would be to risk 20-30 years in prison! How many people would take that risk? None. That's why 90% of criminal cases in this country NEVER go to trial. Is that justice? Only those who have nothing to lose actually go to trial. How can anyone ever be found not guilty in a system like this? Our Legal system is a business, and has nothing to do with Justice.
EPT Reader

Roseland, NJ

#12 Jun 29, 2009
Why are parents not held responsible. If the young man is going to jail, then a SA list....I think the parents of the 14 yr old girl should go on a list as well. Ther daughter is at a college party, driving a car, AT 14!!!! WTF! If her parents/guardians give her all these tools to be out and about looking for college men, then put some blame on them....enroll them in parenting courses, counseling, and do regualr child safety checks to make sure they are DOING THERE JOB! That way that cant sit at home with there feet up and feel satisfied that the law is just on there side.
Grim Ripper

Sierra Vista, AZ

#13 Jun 29, 2009
"The reality is they were convicted of a sex offense, and the offenses that do require sex offender registration are offenses that I think the community would want to know about," Esparza said.

we are very positive you have committed sex offenses, There are pictures of you and your lovers, I'm almost possitive the community would want to know about that...sound to familiar?
Car Pull Tunnel

El Paso, TX

#14 Jun 29, 2009
Actually we are creating our own "untouchable" class. Even after they serve their sentences they aren't employable, can't live in many, many places, and have no hope of this situation ever changing. No wonder 1 in 7 sex offenders commits suicide (and it's not bad ones committing suicide-it's guys like the above person who made the mistake many young men could make). Gov. Perry has proved again that he's a one-dimensional moron who needs to be replaced.
ricky

Pea Ridge, AR

#16 Jun 29, 2009
just an elpasoan wrote:
Aww, are we supposed to feel sorry for the perverts? Don't commit the crime and you won't have to register.
true!
I thought she was 16 is not a good excuse.
if she is under 8 no fu ckin, no proble
this is not right

El Paso, TX

#19 Jun 29, 2009
I also feel sorry for any young guy whose life is ruined by a fraudulent little ____ who lies about her age. It's too high a price to pay. Now his name will always show up on the database. Best keep it in your pants unless you are absolutely 100% sure.
NoPoOr

Lake Oswego, OR

#20 Jun 29, 2009
four years in prison instead of four years in college is still an education. "They" did not throw the key away as he states in reference to his prison term. The pronoun that should be used is "I" in reference to his actions.
ccc

United States

#21 Jun 29, 2009
Border Mama wrote:
oh please give me a break did u follow his way,calling yourself border mama just raises flags on your behalf, i think u were a hood rattttt so shut up
ccc

United States

#22 Jun 29, 2009
this is not right wrote:
I also feel sorry for any young guy whose life is ruined by a fraudulent little ____ who lies about her age. It's too high a price to pay. Now his name will always show up on the database. Best keep it in your pants unless you are absolutely 100% sure.
i guess it was hard for him to keep it in his pant's ,when u have a young teneder peace of meat in front you.
Scott

Irving, TX

#23 Jun 29, 2009
Border Mama wrote:
I trust that after you are finished menstruating, you will burn every piece of furniture you touched and every piece of clothing you wore during that time.

Because after all, that's God's way!

(Sometimes "God's way" is just as jacked up as any other)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Euless Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local Politics Do you approve of Wendy Davis as ? Jan 12 Taxpaying Resident 1
News Stephenville man accused of stealing $200k in l... (Jun '15) Jan 8 Snakebit 5
News Missing Irving Womana s Body Found In Trinity R... (Apr '11) Jan 2 Belinda Gill 20
News Explosion destroys Irving family's home after r... Jan 1 Mary 1
News Patients voice support for accused dentist (Jun '07) Dec '17 Chak 16
News Man, 21, fatally stabbed after argument in Bedford (May '10) Dec '17 Shoot em 26
BOB EDEN PARK - Racists IN PARK told me to get ... (Oct '15) Sep '17 Bib Bob Boo 34

Euless Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Euless Mortgages