Twinkies still on the table: Judge or...

Twinkies still on the table: Judge orders Hostess to negotiate with union

There are 93 comments on the NOLA.com story from Nov 19, 2012, titled Twinkies still on the table: Judge orders Hostess to negotiate with union. In it, NOLA.com reports that:

Striking workers Nam Phan, left, and Randy Goodwin picket outside a Hostess Brand plant, last week in Biddeford, Maine.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NOLA.com.

Megan Anderson

Robertsdale, AL

#41 Nov 20, 2012
I am so happy to here that Hostess will reopen and soon be on the shelves. I saw Twinkies sell for 200+ and now I can buy them again for less then $1. They will be on the shelves Dec 1, 2012
Home for the holidays

Brooklyn, NY

#42 Nov 21, 2012
Megan Anderson wrote:
I am so happy to here that Hostess will reopen and soon be on the shelves. I saw Twinkies sell for 200+ and now I can buy them again for less then $1. They will be on the shelves Dec 1, 2012
Megan what paper you reading its game over for 18000 people!
!who gives a crap if you can get them for a buck now take a look at the big picture not your waistline
RESOLVE IT NOW

New Bedford, MA

#43 Nov 21, 2012
how is it possible that the bct can reject any offer to resolve this without putting it to the rank-and-file for ratification? at least the teamsters let their members decide for themselves and their families
twinkie the bum

Crystal Lake, IL

#44 Nov 21, 2012
your an idiot u know that....yeah its called immigrants...the same people putting americans out of work
Brian

Glen Carbon, IL

#45 Nov 21, 2012
Notice the big raise the union president and his son got
twinkie the bum

Crystal Lake, IL

#46 Nov 21, 2012
bottomline: hostess is the one too blame for ridiculous pay raises and mismanagement and now we all suffer...they wanted too bailout eitherway and head toward a new direction of pitting the products out there...direct warehouse maybe too the number 1 retailer walmart and let them non union minimum wage employess do our job....even competitors copying our same product with a bit of tweaking the recipe but look identical..lil debbie...great value...the snack artists...this is all about not wantong too pay hardworking americans and guess what...after this rape from hostess I'm sure a lot of companies are going too follow the same idea...goodbye america
current employee

Cincinnati, OH

#48 Nov 21, 2012
It astounds me the amount of misinformation that is spouted on this site. Lets clear up some facts. 1) the previous CEO and other high ranking officials that gave themselves (illegally against the original bankruptcy ruling) were immediately terminated by Rayburn(CRO) at the time this action was discovered. Rayburn was appointed the CEO after Driscoll(CEO) was terminated. 2) The average bakery worker made about $15 - $ 24 an hour depending which part of the country they worked in. 3) ALL (including upper management) employees were taking an 8% cut in pay except the BCTGM union memebers at the time they went on strike. Not only that only about 50 to 75% of the BCTGM union memebers even voted. 4) all other unions including the Largest (Teamsters) voted to accept the proposed wage cuts. They did this in order to help keep the company in business. 5) frank Hurt(President of the BCTGM union) had his own agenda for this strike. He knew it would put a message out to other companies that were thinking of changing contracts they had with the BCTGM. Meanwhile Frank Hurt as President was being paid a salary that any CEO of a major corporation would receive. The actions of one man caused the sum of the whole to LOSE THEIR JOBS just to prove a point. Sounds alot like our current administration in Washington.

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#49 Nov 21, 2012
Hostess Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
Another moron who has no clue. You hear the word "union" and automatically think "they wanted more"
Well if you think from our last contract to this new one, making $260 less each week than we did 6 years ago is wanting more, you live in the wrong country!
WE WOULD HAVE BEEN HAPPY WITH ANOTHER 5 YEAR PAY FREEZE! FUCK GET A CLUE AND DO SOME RESEARCH!
Ummm...are the people you're raving at supposed to care that much about you and your job that they should research your situation?

I worked for a union for several years and it sucked. Our dues kept increasing but every time our contract came up for negotiation we got less and less.
Innocentbystande r

Newark, NJ

#50 Nov 21, 2012
MaggieD wrote:
@ Hostess Worker -- I wonder if workers even got the right information from the union. What I understand from credible sources is that Hostess wanted an 8% give-back for one year; then 3% increases each of the next 3 years; then 1% in the fifth year of the contract.
While that's painful -- especially on top of the $10/week giveback to the company to supposedly help them out for the last year -- isn't it better to take the contract, have a job for the holidays, and then look for a better one after the holidays are over?
I know they were asking for healthcare increase and a pension holiday 'til 2015 -- not pretty -- but, for the short term, isn't that better than being out of work?
Why don't workers see that?
When you strike you ARE NOT ELIGABLE FOR UNEMPLOYMENT. 18,500k out of work with a low demand job, and complaining of a 150-200 pay decrease as opposed to nothing makes no sense. Then to cut your own throats by striking and cutting of your companies cash flow..I guess you guys showed them..So, No severance. None. Zilch, nada. the null set, zero. Health care benefits? Resumes?- I take it the Bakers Union will pay a weekly salary to ya'all so as to make it easier on ya. I'd really like to know what the Union thought they would achieve when they said "strike".?. By the way I hear the Sum of the parts is much more valuable now that there are now Unions in the way. Good Luck to ya'll.
Innocentbystande r

Newark, NJ

#51 Nov 21, 2012
current employee wrote:
It astounds me the amount of misinformation that is spouted on this site. Lets clear up some facts. 1) the previous CEO and other high ranking officials that gave themselves (illegally against the original bankruptcy ruling) were immediately terminated by Rayburn(CRO) at the time this action was discovered. Rayburn was appointed the CEO after Driscoll(CEO) was terminated. 2) The average bakery worker made about $15 -$ 24 an hour depending which part of the country they worked in. 3) ALL (including upper management) employees were taking an 8% cut in pay except the BCTGM union memebers at the time they went on strike. Not only that only about 50 to 75% of the BCTGM union memebers even voted. 4) all other unions including the Largest (Teamsters) voted to accept the proposed wage cuts. They did this in order to help keep the company in business. 5) frank Hurt(President of the BCTGM union) had his own agenda for this strike. He knew it would put a message out to other companies that were thinking of changing contracts they had with the BCTGM. Meanwhile Frank Hurt as President was being paid a salary that any CEO of a major corporation would receive. The actions of one man caused the sum of the whole to LOSE THEIR JOBS just to prove a point. Sounds alot like our current administration in Washington.
Sorry - 15.00 -24.00 an hour and up is pretty good compares to what Unemployment pays. Pensions? How many people get that ?. those CEO deserve the $$ because they know how to sell off a company. You all were doomed. they knew you were too stubborn to understand how a company makes money and keeps they're employees employed. 18500k jobs over a self inflicted wound is inexecable, unexplainable, and deplorable. I hope you brought some twinkies and din-dongs home kto sell on eBay. Happy thanksgiving to ya'll and the best of luck with your job seach and future endeavours. Sleep well knowing you did not back down!!. But let me remind you that if you were striking you can not collect Unemployment.
Innocentbystande r

Newark, NJ

#52 Nov 21, 2012
Brian wrote:
Notice the big raise the union president and his son got
They deserve it. the company needs guidance from people that know how to sell off and wind down a company. Certage those route drivers and bakers couldn't do it.
Innocentbystande r

Newark, NJ

#53 Nov 21, 2012
current employee wrote:
It astounds me the amount of misinformation that is spouted on this site. Lets clear up some facts. 1) the previous CEO and other high ranking officials that gave themselves (illegally against the original bankruptcy ruling) were immediately terminated by Rayburn(CRO) at the time this action was discovered. Rayburn was appointed the CEO after Driscoll(CEO) was terminated. 2) The average bakery worker made about $15 -$ 24 an hour depending which part of the country they worked in. 3) ALL (including upper management) employees were taking an 8% cut in pay except the BCTGM union memebers at the time they went on strike. Not only that only about 50 to 75% of the BCTGM union memebers even voted. 4) all other unions including the Largest (Teamsters) voted to accept the proposed wage cuts. They did this in order to help keep the company in business. 5) frank Hurt(President of the BCTGM union) had his own agenda for this strike. He knew it would put a message out to other companies that were thinking of changing contracts they had with the BCTGM. Meanwhile Frank Hurt as President was being paid a salary that any CEO of a major corporation would receive. The actions of one man caused the sum of the whole to LOSE THEIR JOBS just to prove a point. Sounds alot like our current administration in Washington.
I still can't beleive that a baker or route driver would would spit at 15.00 25.00 an hour + benefits. I mean do you need a college degree for that? Hisgh scholl even? regardless of the cut after taxes its really not so bad. Now you get nothing. You think you're gonna get a job baking donuts for 20 an hour + benefits?- This will go down in history as one of the biggest company mishaps ever. Hoping the Sweet tooth fairy would offre a bailout to preserve high school level and below work.
franco

Schaumburg, IL

#54 Nov 21, 2012
have been in the bread buis for 32 years mostly for Gonnella baking co a familyowned buis for over 100 plus years thats good managment and yes it is union same union that is dealing for hostes final 5 years were spent at wonderbread the people there were great american workers but top management was the worst cluster fff i have ever seen with cheap private label bread and low priceing it was a train wreck waiting to happen maybe the co should sell to the employes one big happy familia then u will see a change
thrown to the curb

Peoria, IL

#55 Nov 23, 2012
Brian wrote:
<quoted text>That "wife" is a he?? OMG, no wonder you dodos have to go
I'd fired ya a long time ago
Brian I see you a lot on different posts. The self employment gig must not be going very well. Paid your self employment taxes yet?????????? Business not going too well...people probably know you are just plain lazy. Doubt you even work or even have the brains to hold a job. The IRS is looking for there money...pay up
Brian

Glen Carbon, IL

#56 Nov 23, 2012
thrown to the curb wrote:
<quoted text>
Brian I see you a lot on different posts. The self employment gig must not be going very well. Paid your self employment taxes yet?????????? Business not going too well...people probably know you are just plain lazy. Doubt you even work or even have the brains to hold a job. The IRS is looking for there money...pay up
Your straw man argument is typical of what I would expect from a moron like you
s9o much a mo0ron that you ran your job away
Deyquan

Mount Holly, NJ

#57 Nov 24, 2012
Brian wrote:
I wont buy what a judge orders, Thats the problem. Unions and the government with their new black massa at the big house
I think you are the one who needs to "do a little research" From that labor loving liberal rag the huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/16/greg...
Deyquan

Mount Holly, NJ

#58 Nov 24, 2012
jwachh wrote:
Hostess lover....
You can't stay in busines when the CEO gives himself a 300 percent increase either. Do a little research on this subjuect, and you will find out what the facts are behind this bankruptcy. The union is not to blame.
I think you are the one who needs to "do a little research" From that labor loving liberal rag the huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/16/greg ...
Deyquan

Mount Holly, NJ

#59 Nov 24, 2012
Brian wrote:
<quoted text>Your straw man argument is typical of what I would expect from a moron like you
s9o much a mo0ron that you ran your job away
Sorry Brian I clicked the wrong reply button.
xoxo

Richmond, VA

#60 Nov 25, 2012
Not a good feeling being unemployeed will file unemployment tomorrow thanks a lot hostess brands&unions for nothing they could,nt even offer a severence package how low is that I bet they got money for those executives that didn,t do anything but steal you know if I didn,t like hostess then I hate you now.
Deyquan

Mount Holly, NJ

#61 Nov 25, 2012
jwachh wrote:
Hostess lover....
You can't stay in busines when the CEO gives himself a 300 percent increase either. Do a little research on this subject, and you will find out what the facts are behind this bankruptcy. The union is not to blame.
Maybe you should do some research before you post. This is from that left leaning union loving reg called The Huffington Post.http://www.huffingtonpost .com/2012/11/16/gregory-raybur n-raise_n_2147043.html

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Euless Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Need your help locating someone! (Sep '14) Jul 20 Jamie Dundee 6
Colleyville,Texas Murder of Anita Fox (Mar '15) Jun 23 The truth 130
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun '16 robert 994
Review: Lugger, Jerry L MD - Jerry L Lugger MD (Jan '10) May '16 Emmett 5
BOB EDEN PARK - Racists IN PARK told me to get ... (Oct '15) Apr '16 Big bad tough john 27
Debate: Marijuana - Euless, TX (Aug '10) Mar '16 Big bad tough john 8
News Police: Sitter often left babies alone (Aug '06) Feb '16 amandak0679 23

Euless Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Euless Mortgages