Hopewell 'million dollar highway' und...

Hopewell 'million dollar highway' under investigation

There are 56 comments on the NBC12 story from Apr 3, 2012, titled Hopewell 'million dollar highway' under investigation. In it, NBC12 reports that:

HOPEWELL, VA - Are speeding tickets being written as matter of public safety or to generate revenue? It's a question being put to deputies in Hopewell.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC12.

Who Cares

United States

#22 Apr 7, 2012
By the way, the first thing people do when they loose at something is shift the blame. They place the blame on the actions of others. This is evident by blaming the judge for the loss. Take the high road and loose with dignity. Take responsibility. I for one am in support of the I295 project. Yes, it is a source of revenue for the city, I am willing to call it what it is. But who cares! It is better than taxing the crap out of the citizens, and if people don't want a ticket, don't break the law! I say bravo to whoever came up with the idea. That is thinking outside the box and being creative. But as usual, people are always whining and shifting the blame for their own errors in life.
Same Ol Same Ol

United States

#23 Apr 8, 2012
Who Cares wrote:
By the way, the first thing people do when they loose at something is shift the blame. They place the blame on the actions of others. This is evident by blaming the judge for the loss. Take the high road and loose with dignity. Take responsibility. I for one am in support of the I295 project. Yes, it is a source of revenue for the city, I am willing to call it what it is. But who cares! It is better than taxing the crap out of the citizens, and if people don't want a ticket, don't break the law! I say bravo to whoever came up with the idea. That is thinking outside the box and being creative. But as usual, people are always whining and shifting the blame for their own errors in life.
Not shifting blame anywhere. I just thought that people should know all the facts surrounding the case you were talking about. You made it look as if the CA was not able to do his job. I just brought up the fact that the Judge presiding over the case had a vested interest in the I-295 project. Read today's 04/08/2012 Progress Index. Sheriff Anderson said that Judge Nye brought up the idea to him. Kind of hard not t be biased when the whole I-295 project was your idea.

Yes the I-295 project is about revenue. I have no issues with the Deputies running radar on I-295. The issue I had was that when this project first started the safety of the Deputies and the public were nonexistent. I refer you again to the Progress Index article. This project began in 2007. Why is it that the Sheriff only has statistics of arrests made by his Office from 2009? Because his Deputies did not run Drivers status or wanted checks on those they ticketed. They are now doing that. Therefore their and the public’s safety are better served.

I do have a problem with the city counting on this revenue in their yearly budget. I think this puts un due stress on the Sheriff and his Deputies to write more tickets. But then again as some people have said, hey it keeps my taxes down, so who cares.

If Hopewell concentrated on the crime rate as well as the Sheriff has concentrated on the I-295 project, Hopewell would be a much better place to live, work, shop in.
Same Ol Same Ol

United States

#24 Apr 8, 2012
Who Cares wrote:
If the Sheriff's Office is supplemented then shame on the city. Also, I do not know Newman, I was merely responding to a post in reference to someone whining about wanting more money. In these tough times, just be thankful to have a job, especially at the taxpayers expense. As to the statement of not liking him, I'm really indifferent.
Every Constitutional Officer "whines" that they are not getting enough pay from the State. The Sheriff's Office does in fact get supplimental pay from the City. They are not the only ones the City supplement.

You made it sound as if Newman was the only one "whining". Well maybe he is. The other Consttutional Office's that "The Compensation Board" sets salary for, could be supplemented by the City.
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#25 Apr 8, 2012
According to the Comp Board, the Hopewell Sheriff's Office is given 8 positions for the work they are required to do. That gives them a total of 10 including the Sheriff and his Administrative assistant.

Since the start of the I-295 project the Sheriff has added 1 full time and 11 part time Deputies just to run radar on I-295.This more than doubled the number of Deputies given by the Comp Board for the Sheriff’s Office. Where does the salary for these added personnel come from?

According to the article in today's Progress Index (4-8-2012), Sheriff Anderson said his office receives no money from the tickets written. The tickets are written under City Code so the money goes to the City.

Hopewell's City Attorney said that the I-295 project costs the City $500,000 a year in salaries and equipment to run. Since the Sheriff receives no revenue from the Tickets the City is supplementing his Office by at least $500,000. That is not taking in to account the supplement to the 8 Deputies the Comp Board pays for.

So Who Cares, as you see the City is highly supplementing the Sheriff's Office. If not for the I-295 project Hopewell could Ill afford the added costs and burden to the city.

According to the State Compensation Board's formula the Hopewell Sheriff's Office is way over staffed for the duties it is mandated to perform. During these hard economic times the City needs to stop supplementing the Sheriff's Office. The Sheriff made the decision to add to the duties of his Office let him get the money from the Comp Board.

But I digress, I guess in your opinion I am shifting blame for the failures of our City Council to the State Compensation Board.
professional

United States

#26 Apr 8, 2012
CAs office wrote:
Has anyone bothered to ask the CA how much his assistants are paid? Apparently the city, during previous administrations has supplemented their salaries, giving them a competitive wage. The city has refused to do this for Newman causing a big turn over in the CA's office. Do we want to successfully prosecute the criminals that are brought before the court? It takes talent to do that. Your not going to get that by paying them substandard wages.
He only wants for his employees what was given to the prior CA.
Turnover in Newman's office has nothing to do with money and everything to do with a lack of professionalism on his part. Young attractive women just can't stand to be around him!
Who Cares

United States

#27 Apr 8, 2012
Same Ol Same Ol. Your argument makes no sense. If the city pays $500,000 for a project that yields a two million dollar return in one year, that is called a good investment. I wish my investments profited like this. If I could keep the profit from this project, I would gladly pay for its operation. Show me where the city could invest money and make it grow 4x in a one year period.
Who Cares

United States

#28 Apr 8, 2012
Same Ol Same Ol. Like you stated in your post, the money from tickets written under the city code goes to the city. The money would go to the state if it is written under the state code. For Newman to change the tickets to reflect the state code is just vindictiveness. That is a bully mentality. It's the something as saying "since you won't give me some money, I'm going to take your's". Like the previous post, sounds like there is other problems in the office that is creating the turnover situation.
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#29 Apr 9, 2012
Who Cares wrote:
Same Ol Same Ol. Your argument makes no sense. If the city pays $500,000 for a project that yields a two million dollar return in one year, that is called a good investment. I wish my investments profited like this. If I could keep the profit from this project, I would gladly pay for its operation. Show me where the city could invest money and make it grow 4x in a one year period.
Who Cares, The post you are referring to was written in sarcasm.

If it were not for the revenue generated by this project the Sheriff could not do it. It is sad though that our city leaders cannot bring in revenue without a ticket writing project.
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#30 Apr 9, 2012
Who Cares wrote:
Same Ol Same Ol. Like you stated in your post, the money from tickets written under the city code goes to the city. The money would go to the state if it is written under the state code. For Newman to change the tickets to reflect the state code is just vindictiveness. That is a bully mentality. It's the something as saying "since you won't give me some money, I'm going to take your's". Like the previous post, sounds like there is other problems in the office that is creating the turnover situation.
I have no idea why Newman wants to amend these tickets. I only commented on your post about it because of the Judge issue. A Judge that wanted the I-295 project and asked the Sheriff to start it cannot be impartial. He has a vested interest in the outcome of the case.

The Judge was not going to rule against a project that was his idea. No matter whom the Attorney that argued the case. You probably could have defended that case and won (Sarcasm).

I do not hang around the CA's Office to have an opinion as to why people are leaving his office, have no clue. Could it be money, sure? Could it be something else, sure?
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#31 Apr 9, 2012
professional wrote:
<quoted text>
Turnover in Newman's office has nothing to do with money and everything to do with a lack of professionalism on his part. Young attractive women just can't stand to be around him!
You could be right. You could also apply this quote to others in the city.
just me

Richmond, VA

#32 Apr 9, 2012
All I can say is; If a citizen like myself, is scared to go out at night then this money should be used to stop the crime in this city.
Who Cares

United States

#33 Apr 9, 2012
Same Ol Same Ol. I will agree with your statement. The city does need to look at other sources of revenue. They should not rely on the tickets because that could fluctuate. It would be the something as an individual relying on overtime to pay the mortgage. That philosophy does not make economic sense. Cut the fat where you can, and look at drawing more businesses to the city. If that means cutting the supplements to various salaries, then do it. I will also say that the Sheriff is at least trying to do something to help. I'm sure it would've been a lot easier for him to just sit back and do nothing. He has taken a lot of bashing both in social media and print. But, the fact remains, he is bringing in revenue. What other department is generating revenue like this besides the treasurer's office? Like I said, we need to place the blame on the right people. Get the city counsel to start other revenue generating projects.
Who Cares

United States

#34 Apr 9, 2012
To Sheriff Anderson. Nice article in the Progress Index. Keep your head up! I can't believe the State Police is worried about a little two mile stretch of road. That is ridicules! You are doing a good thing. It generates revenue and slows people down. It is a win win! I guess it is true when they say "everyone talks about the winner".
Who Cares

United States

#35 Apr 9, 2012
Before everyone starts bashing me, let me explain a few things. I am not currently or have I ever been employed by the Sheriff. I do not know him, nor have I ever meet him. I am just a long-winded, opinionated person with a lot of time on their hands. (Just like most people in this forum.) Fact is, I am retired, at a rather young age because I invested well. So, let the bashing begin cause it appears I am defending an unpopular person.
Huh

Oak Ridge, NJ

#36 Apr 9, 2012
I Love the Sheriff! He is actually a popular person to most of the City, I'm sure these people knocking him are Newman fans... that are probably kicking themselves for voting that guy in now, which I'm sure he will NOT serve another term because him along with his office has become a joke. As I've stated before, if you are going 81+ you are breaking the law and you should be written a ticket. I travel 295 daily and beyond the 2 mile stretch, State Police pull people just as much for going over 80.. I mean it is the law.
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#37 Apr 10, 2012
Huh wrote:
I Love the Sheriff! He is actually a popular person to most of the City, I'm sure these people knocking him are Newman fans... that are probably kicking themselves for voting that guy in now, which I'm sure he will NOT serve another term because him along with his office has become a joke. As I've stated before, if you are going 81+ you are breaking the law and you should be written a ticket. I travel 295 daily and beyond the 2 mile stretch, State Police pull people just as much for going over 80.. I mean it is the law.
Yes, 81 Miles per Hour is breaking the Law, so is 71 MPH. The fact is that the 81 MPH Ticket carry's a HUGE fine. The fact is it is all about the money. If the revenue stops coming in, this project will come to an end. How does that fit in to the people breaking the law?

Those breaking the law would still be breaking the law if the Sheriff stopped this project. The only difference is the City would not be getting the money.

I am sure there are more accidents on the Streets of Hopewell because of speed then there are on that 2 mile stretch of 295. Where is the traffic enforcement by the Sheriff on the city streets? Oh I guess that is the sole responsibility of the HPD.

The Hopewell Police Department does not have time to run traffic on the city streets or 295. They are too busy dealing with the high crime rate in the city. Why is the Sheriff not enforcing the Law in the city? He said in The Progress Index that he is just enforcing the Law as The Code of Virginia states he should. Looks like he is being selective in what laws he enforces. Speeders yes, other law violators no.

No I am not on Newman’s side. It is just that the Sheriff cannot have it one way. We all know the reason for the I-295 project. Money, Money, Money.
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#38 Apr 10, 2012
Who Cares wrote:
To Sheriff Anderson. Nice article in the Progress Index. Keep your head up! I can't believe the State Police is worried about a little two mile stretch of road. That is ridicules! You are doing a good thing. It generates revenue and slows people down. It is a win win! I guess it is true when they say "everyone talks about the winner".
I agree with you on the fact that I find it hard to believe the State Police are worried about a 2 mile stretch of I-295. They have more important things to do.

Let us look at that. If the State Police wanted to shut that project down they could do so easily. All they would have to do is sit just outside of that 2 mile stretch and write tickets all day long. The revenue would stop coming in to Hopewell and the project would end. Easy to do. Just saying.

Like I said it is sad that this city relies on the Sheriff to bring in revenue for their short comings. The city would not need to make up the 2 million in revenue if they had not invested in a failed fuel plant.
Team Sheriff

Oak Ridge, NJ

#39 Apr 10, 2012
Same Ol Same Ol wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, 81 Miles per Hour is breaking the Law, so is 71 MPH. The fact is that the 81 MPH Ticket carry's a HUGE fine. The fact is it is all about the money. If the revenue stops coming in, this project will come to an end. How does that fit in to the people breaking the law?
Those breaking the law would still be breaking the law if the Sheriff stopped this project. The only difference is the City would not be getting the money.
I am sure there are more accidents on the Streets of Hopewell because of speed then there are on that 2 mile stretch of 295. Where is the traffic enforcement by the Sheriff on the city streets? Oh I guess that is the sole responsibility of the HPD.
The Hopewell Police Department does not have time to run traffic on the city streets or 295. They are too busy dealing with the high crime rate in the city. Why is the Sheriff not enforcing the Law in the city? He said in The Progress Index that he is just enforcing the Law as The Code of Virginia states he should. Looks like he is being selective in what laws he enforces. Speeders yes, other law violators no.
No I am not on Newman’s side. It is just that the Sheriff cannot have it one way. We all know the reason for the I-295 project. Money, Money, Money.
If you are aware of the politics in Hopewell, you would know that the Sheriff's Department and Hopewell PD usually aren't on the best of terms, granted it has gotten way better since Hopewell got a new police chief that is probably the best thing that has happened to the City. Sheriff's do not have the jurisdiction to enforce the laws in the City, pretty sure they were told its not their problem. If the Sheriff deputies began to do that, Hopewell PD would have a conniption fit. Plus, Hopewell PD has hired MANY new officers and are more than staffed to handle the City Limits themselves. And as the previous comment stated, if the State Police had a problem with Hopewell Sheriff's and this program they could shut it down easily. Yes, going 71 is breaking the law, but over 80 on any other highway or street in VA is considered reckless technically. And its not like the deputies make crazy money b/c of this program, their $15/hr doesn't go far, especially when the majority are considered part timers.
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#40 Apr 10, 2012
Team Sheriff wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are aware of the politics in Hopewell, you would know that the Sheriff's Department and Hopewell PD usually aren't on the best of terms, granted it has gotten way better since Hopewell got a new police chief that is probably the best thing that has happened to the City. Sheriff's do not have the jurisdiction to enforce the laws in the City, pretty sure they were told its not their problem. If the Sheriff deputies began to do that, Hopewell PD would have a conniption fit. Plus, Hopewell PD has hired MANY new officers and are more than staffed to handle the City Limits themselves. And as the previous comment stated, if the State Police had a problem with Hopewell Sheriff's and this program they could shut it down easily. Yes, going 71 is breaking the law, but over 80 on any other highway or street in VA is considered reckless technically. And its not like the deputies make crazy money b/c of this program, their $15/hr doesn't go far, especially when the majority are considered part timers.
I mostly agree with what you said. However, the Sheriff can and does have the authority/jurisdiction to enforce laws in the city of Hopewell. Sheriff Anderson said himself; Sheriff's have the same authority as a Police Officer and then some. He is the Sheriff for the City of Hopewell. That means he has Jurisdiction in Hopewell and then some by the Code of Virginia.

The Sheriff is being selective in what Law's he is enforcing. Just look at the Code of Virginia and what Sheriff Anderson said. He is charged with upholding/enforcing the laws of the Commonwealth. The Code of Virginia does not say only the Traffic Law's it say's all Law's.

Yes, I am familiar with the Politics of Hopewell. You are correct in that the Sheriff's Office and the Police Department have not traditionally gotten along. The Code of Virginia requires that every locality in Virginia Shall have a Sheriff. The Code does give a provision that localities may elect to have a Police Department to perform Police duties. This makes the Sheriff a very powerful position.

As I have said before. Anything over 80 is Reckless Driving a Class 1 Misdemeanor. These Deputies are not writing these Reckless Drivers for the Misdemeanor. They write them for Reckless by Speed which is a Traffic Infraction. The difference is you can go to jail for the Misdemeanor and must come to court. For the Infraction you can only receive a fine and can pre pay the ticket and not have to come to court. It is Officer's/Deputies discretion in which one they write. Ask the Sheriff how many Class 1 Misdemeanor Summons' his Office has written.

In reference to the $15 per hour for the Deputies running Radar. They are all Certified Police Officer's. I see many localities hiring Police Officers all around the Commonwealth. These Police positions pay more than $15 an hour. I also know some of them running radar. They have other jobs like Fire Fighters, and run radar to keep their State Police Certification's current and earn extra money.
GI Joe

Gwynn Oak, MD

#41 Apr 11, 2012
Ha. Hopewell fail.

I just did some number crunching... without this revenue, the average Hopewell resident will have to pay an additional $54.87 in real estate taxes.

I would show my math, but most of you wouldn't understand it.

Tough pill to swallow. But hey, Hopewell needs an awesome CA staff to prosecute all those criminals and keep them off the street. That's what makes Hopewell the lovely place it is today. Right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ettrick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Corruption / Illegal Acts by City Officials an... (Jul '10) Sep 27 One that knows 6
Crazie Overstock had Police Tape outside it Thu... Sep 22 Joseph 2
Coach Young Sep 22 Hammerhead Gould 1
News Petersburg hit with lawsuit over $1.2 million i... Sep 21 True Judgement 1
Thriller Book Store (Aug '12) Sep 21 Vaboy 38
Chester's race car owner & driver T.W. Taylor: ... (Oct '09) Sep 20 H D Wilson 8
Obama Coming To Fort Lee Sep 19 VN Vet 1

Ettrick Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ettrick Mortgages