Lucky to be alive

Lucky to be alive

There are 11 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Jul 23, 2008, titled Lucky to be alive. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Bob D'Angelo was stuck in traffic on Interstate 83, as he is most days during his commute to Harrisburg, when he looked in his rearview mirror.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

Just_Me

United States

#1 Jul 23, 2008
They need to bring this all home with the queue detection system warnings. I mean TO THE POINT!!!!

It should read something like, "Excessive speed killed someone recently. Slow down or DIE!!"

I'm sure there are more tactful words to get the point across. Don't bother arguing that it's a bad idea. Believe me, I watch TV these days. If people can deal with the violence on the boob tube, they can handle a statement like the one above.
David

Riverside, NJ

#3 Jul 23, 2008
I drive that route every day to work myself. It's not uncommon to see people flying up the left lane and then swerving into the right lane to get a "poll position." "Patience is a virtue."

Fortunately it's in the afternoon. PennDot blames it on lack of money to remedy the situation. Personally I find that to be a poor excuse. Even if they did widen or add another lane out of the side of the hill there you're asking for 2-3 years of one lane traffic. I could see it already.

Pennsylvania's lawmakers and governor seem to think that whenever they need more $, they'll just tax the living daylights out of it's citizens. If they haven't noticed, we're going through a tough times these past number of months. Taxing PAer's to provide more $ is not the solution.
Jerry

Palmyra, PA

#4 Jul 23, 2008
I travel I-83 everyday to Harrisburg and believe me I start gripping the wheel at Reesers Summit because you never know when or where the traffic will come to a screeching halt. The last minute to work people are weaving in and out of lanes to gain a car length which makes everyone start breaking. State Police are seldom seen during the morning rush and it becomes a free for all. The merging traffic coming out of New Cumberland just before the split is where I attribute the main back up problem starting point. It would help if that were closed for entrance to I-83 between 6:30 and 8:30. The merging traffic think that they have the right of way and ignor the yield sign. If it were restricted during those times traffic would at least keep moving and there wouldn't be the stop and go which starts the back up.
Defensive Driver

New Egypt, NJ

#5 Jul 23, 2008
Too many people, too many vehicles. You could build another three lanes in that area and the problem would not be solved. Place a state trooper every one eighth mile and they couldn't enter the highway to arrest anyone, let alone catch up to the violator. Big deal on Harrisburg. What about Route 30 in York. Wanna have some fun, travel into LA at 7 or out of at 5 sometime. Too many people, too many vehicles.
mark

Moosic, PA

#6 Jul 23, 2008
While higher taxes on average citizens is not the answer, removing tax breaks and loopholes used by the wealthy and businesses may be. And please, forget the lies about job creation, since it never happens; and the lies about them moving elsewhere. Frankly, if you do not want to support the community in which you do business, leave, but understand that you will NOT do business in that community.

We can no longer afford to support the irresponsible wealthy. They are killing our country.
MissingThePoint

Lewistown, PA

#7 Jul 23, 2008
The issue of I-83 is very complex and many of you have hit the nail on the head... sort of.

The I-83 Master Plan that had been laid-out back in 2003 was a complete rebuild plan of 83 from the Limekiln exit, all of the way up to where it meets 81. I say "Complete" plan because it included (originally) all the funding sources needed for all four phases of the project, and none of the funding at that time would have included any new or higher taxes on us.

However, the 'Plan' was postponed several times when our illustrious governor "reallocated" ALL the funds to Philly Mass transit and other "more pressing issues and needs".

At this time, there is no money to be had because the funding streams that were tapped then were Fed Grants and the like. Grants that are all dried up now. Therefore, it is NOW likely that we will be taxed out the nose to get this fixed.

YES, there are WAY too many people on the roads these days. The biggest issue with most traffic problems IS the lack of competence behind the wheel. This is also more than just people driving too fast or not paying attention.

I am a Volunteer Fire Police Officer and get to see all, and I mean ALL, of the excuses hurtling at me at 80+ MPH, often. I see plenty of drivers ignore the obvious because it is "inconvenient" to them, as well as those who believe that phone call is much more important.

The rules of the road are supposed to include common courtesy between drivers. Nevertheless, every day there are just as many people who do not move over (when they can) to allow traffic to merge, as there are people who "ignore the yield sign" when trying to merge onto a highway. Not to mention when approaching an emergency scene that narrows down to one lane and the drivers are still trying to jockey for position or will not allow anyone to get in front of them.

No, the overall issue will not be solved by simply building a bigger, better road. Not as long as it takes nothing to get a license and we never have prove that we are worthy to keep that license. If we all keep driving like half-trained apes and are unwilling to take on the part of the responsibility of the issue that belongs squarely in our laps, then we do not deserve that bigger, better road.
phawnn1

New Oxford, PA

#9 Jul 24, 2008
I know NOT ALL truckers are bad or careless drivers but alot out there are and their are some drivers that don't realize trucks can't stop as fast as a car or pickup and cut them off.
but in this instance the trucker for what ever reason did not heed the sign of slow or stoped traffic ahead, then could not stop in time and caused the death of a very caring and loving person!
Shteve

Middletown, PA

#10 Jul 24, 2008
Railway from Baltimore to Harrisburg with central terminal in York -- Alleviates traffic, pollution, accidents, dependence on oil, and ties three culturally and economically significant cities together. The railroad already owns tracks running from York's Northwest Triangle right into Harrisburg--though they are freight, they already have the land to lay commuter track.

In addition this would revitalize areas like Mount Wolf, York Haven and Goldsboro.
Charlies Cousin

Edgemont, PA

#11 Jul 24, 2008
All you have to do is talk to a truck driver and you will see why they are involved in so many accidents.
Just_Me

United States

#12 Jul 25, 2008
Shteve wrote:
Railway from Baltimore to Harrisburg with central terminal in York
BINGO!!!

As long as the West York and West Manchester areas can get properly serviced via rail or bus.

I commute to Harrisburg from York each day. I can't take the shuttle because the local bus routes don't get me to the shuttle station on time. I'm not going to get in my car an drive to the shuttle station. It defeats the purpose.

Light rail from York to Harrisburg would be great.
Shteve

Middletown, PA

#13 Jul 25, 2008
It would be better than great--it would be ideal.

Lines could run to all the outlying populations. Then so long as you had a bicycle, you could get anywhere you need to go. And while we're at it--it's a partial solution for DUI too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Etters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mom beat, choked girl over wrong Bible verses,a Apr '17 misbehaved 3
thiefs public warning (Feb '12) Apr '17 Milton 4
News Bar shooting leaves three people shot and polic... Mar '17 redco loonie bin 1
News Middletown woman accused of beating daughter ov... Mar '17 redco loonie bin 1
News City man sentenced for stealing from employer (Apr '11) Feb '17 Getbackhonkycat 3
News Police arrest 8 for fraud following Kennedy Fri... Feb '17 HA HA Man 2
Josh and Alexis Henry (Sep '16) Sep '16 Cucked 1

Etters Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Etters Mortgages