Park Theatre land donated for construction of a performing arts facility in downtown Estes Park

Estes Performance InCorporated , and a consortium of private donors and supporters, have announced plans for construction of The Rocky Mountain Performing Arts Center "The Rocky" to benefit the citizens of Estes Park, Larimer County, the State of Colorado and beyond. Full Story
Tom Hannah

Denver, CO

#1 Aug 13, 2012
Beautiful
Agreed

Estes Park, CO

#2 Aug 14, 2012
Tom Hannah wrote:
Beautiful
What a perfect spot for a Performing Art Theatre and how generous of the Seeleys. For evening performances there will be ample parking since many of the surrounding shops are closed. The eaterys will get an influx of customers after shows and the building itself may draw outside troupes with a diversity of performances. Wonderful
Anonymous

Estes Park, CO

#3 Aug 14, 2012
I really do hope that this actually pans out. With all of the vacancies in retail spaces over the last few years, it seems obvious that more retail frontage is not needed.

What is needed is an anchor that will attract people to Estes Park in those shoulder months. With the number of performers that have been spotted in this little town over the years, my guess is that more than a few of them would like to perform in a small venue and enjoy the intimacy that comes with it. If you think that this is something that I am pulling out of thin air, read up on the thoughts of The Beatles and the Shea Stadium shows they did in 1965 and 1966 or the Hollywood Bowl in 1964 and 1965. While it was a "novelty" to be sure(playing to over 50,000 people at Shea), they got sick of the grind of touring after a while. The whole idea of the Let It Be film was to "Get Back" to what made them good performers to begin with, playing small theatres and clubs in Liverpool and Hamburg. John Lennon said that the Beatles were at their best in those early years of playing small venues.

Nobody has any delusions of getting Paul McCartney to play in EP. However, many groups with a regional following will jump at the chance to come here. And I would assume that their fans would just love an excuse to come to Estes for a 4 day weekend.

A good nightlife scene is one of the things we lack here. Would a local eatery stay open later for the crowd that wants an after show meal or cocktail? Would shops stay open?

Now if the developers and backers can minimize the Town government interference and stave off the people who will want to take credit for doing nothing to promote this and then market this attraction correctly, we have a winner on our hands.

As a suggestion: In Estes Park we have some very talented people in the photography, video production and related fields. Utilize them. Don't look to the west coast or elsewhere when you have talent right here that can help you produce promotional materials.

It would be silly after all to promote Estes Park or an Estes Park attraction and not use your local talent, right? You would be laughed out of town for doing that! Right? Please tell me I'm right.
Or I could be wrong.
Pat Havenkamp

Westcliffe, CO

#4 Aug 15, 2012
I think you are wrong about the Beatles wanting to play Estes Park, they are mostly dead. Did someone want to answer my question about Society of Performing Arts that I contributed to so heartily? Will this be a part of it all or will I get my money back?
In Estes

Denver, CO

#5 Aug 15, 2012
Just seeking clarification, the article states that the land was a "generous donation" by Ms. Sealy, but her comment was that she didn't want to sell to just any developer. So, was she paid in full for the land, or was it an actual donation on her part, if so, hats off and many kudos to her, but if it was actually purchased from her and donated by the other group I just feel it would be appropriate to credit the correct parties for the donation of the land for the performing arts center.
Like anyone can know that

Westcliffe, CO

#6 Aug 15, 2012
Miss Sealey is a conundrum wrapped in a thick layer of adipose tissue
Anonymous

Estes Park, CO

#7 Aug 15, 2012
I heard that an animatronic George Harrison and John Lennon are close to being perfected, so it is a possibilty... Seriously though, you raise a good point about the folks who gave to SOPA along with the Friends of Stanley Hall(FOSH).

Will the groups who are all for the performing arts still be on board if their role is a diminished one? What is it we're after anyway? A legitimate venue for theatre and other stage shows or a monument to the greater glory of a few who speak loudly and carry a small pocketbook? Will the diva's come to the fore and huff and pout that they aren't getting the attention they deserve? Will they collectively let us know when they are,"ready for my closeup Mr. DeMille."?

Is the Town going to find fault because it isn't part of their plan at Stanley Park? Don't laugh too loudly at that one. They don't like it if someone shows them up as being able to do it better. How many people looked at "Vacationland" as being THE vacation guide for their trip to Estes for decades? But instead of looking and saying,"We have a publication that is used by a lot of people and has been since the 1950's . Let's partner with the publisher and let them do what they are good at", they tried to put out their own visitor guide which was a joke. And then they even had a visitor guide published by some national outfit that again was a lame effort.

As to the Seeley's donation. I hope it is on the up and up. I gathered that it was a conditional donation contingent on raising the money needed to complete the project. If they are part of the LLC set up to manage the facility, no problem. Even if they derive some income from it, go for it. But if this is a ploy that gets the hopes of the business and arts communities up, only to hold the town hostage while they try to get the Town of Estes Park to buy the property, shame on them.

We have been played like suckers before. Anyone remember the Pinnacle/Peregrine golf development? Another thing that was going to make us a "premiere" destination. I just can't seem to find their number so I can reserve a tee time...

We shall see what the real story is when someone suggests that all donations/gifts/loans/grants be made conditional and refundable if the full amount is not raised. If everybody is okay with that and provides full transparency in the accounting of funds, we'll have a winner for sure.

Anything else and I would be cautious.
The news is
#8 Aug 16, 2012
The land was not a true donation, not known whether any money has exchanged hands at this point yet, but Ms. Sealy has set herself up with a lifetime annuity in exchange for the land, in other words, it is extremely self serving and misleading to present it as a "charitable and generous " donation, plenty of money will be made by Ms. Sealy, so let's lay off how wonderfully generous she is, it's just not true.
SAn actual donation would have left her pockets empty, and there was no way that was ever going to happen.
HER POCKETS
#9 Aug 16, 2012
are full of fairy dust and charcoal. Good to see she is finally getting what she deserves, which is to throw in with the Elkhorn project castaways.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Estes Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Gay Marriage - Berthoud, CO (Jan '12) 1 hr Brian_G 19
Learn to be a ham radio operator (Nov '13) 12 hr HAM 12345 2
Review: T V Service Center Sep 12 bill Brennan 3
Review: Affordable Dentures - Walter E Schneide... (Feb '11) Sep 11 Complete Dentures 23
CO Colorado Primary Election August 10: Will you v... (Aug '10) Sep 10 We hate fort coll... 32
Jared Polis sues to stop fracking next to his W... (Jul '13) Sep 3 Jim 4
LP + Mesa = Skybeam, broadband alternative (Dec '08) Aug 30 Terry 83
•••
•••
•••

Estes Park Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Estes Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••